Diablo® III

One question for ur dev team

01/18/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Ryaskybird
the quality that Diablo 3 has

You are of course, referring to D3 at launch? :p

edit: i r gud wit engrish
Edited by Rhyas9#1314 on 1/18/2013 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

To be honest it feels like Blizzard drags their feet extra hard compared to other game developers now days. Like you guys are purposely trying to lower the standards of "what a good game is". It almost seems like D3 is one big corporate test to see how far corporations can push and strong arm customers. Making "dat carrot" last at a constant state of minimal.
Reply Quote
Intentionally holding off on content for release later as the expansion, or paid DLC for that matter, is IMO, what would amount to "lowering the standards".

If you don't want people to rage about it, don't tease it. Saves you all the trouble.
Reply Quote
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

Vow, many project methodology can solve the problems.
Non-sense to make any excuse, if your dev workflow or cowork structure can't catch up with the market pace, then consider to change your style.
If not, just wait for another lose, won't be too long.
Reply Quote
This game is not even half what d2 was.. And there was at least 7-8 years in development?

How is it that some independent game companies crank out far more content and depth in 1/10th of the time?

Is this the result of a large company corporate atmosphere? So many hoops to jump through and people to please it make take 15-20yrs to finish the final product?

I don't think D3 was in development for 7-6 years. Maybe 2 or 3 at most.
Reply Quote
I believe it's logical that things take time. To fix 1 thing it could be a ladder of stuff for different people to do and to fix. Use your head people. Blizzard Entertainment is working hard, give them some slack already.
Reply Quote
You guys realize the Atomic Bomb was created in less time than it took Blizzard to develop Diablo3.
Edited by Dreamflange#1206 on 1/18/2013 7:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 07:12 PMPosted by vexorian
For that matter, if TL2 or PoE would ever have as many users in their servers as back when D3 was released, their puny servers would melt.

error 37.

i guess blizzard really took it to the little guy!
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 06:09 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Known bug - Health link and life steal not working correctly, or as the community driven managers like to put it. Not working as intended.

Length of bug - at least two months, I've seen threads about it over and over.
Status - Still currently bugged.

Known bug - 2 handed weapons in each hand and double unique equipped items.
Length of bug - Launch until it went public
Status - Fixed hours after it went public

Reply Quote

POE, Torchlight 2 and also Diablo 2 had much faster development for his age.

None of those have the quality that Diablo 3 has.

And certainly TL2 doesn't have the staying power. We shall see about PoE.

What a blatant troll.
Edited by Sean#1744 on 1/18/2013 7:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 07:12 PMPosted by vexorian
Launch was 8 months ago. Get over it.

"Columbine was years ago. Get over it". Go on. :p
Reply Quote

By whom.

I'm a jerk.

But that does, in fact, highlight what you are saying there, blue. Everything takes time to get done. If he, doing this professionally, makes tiny little grammar errors/typos, what about the myriad of things that require more details and delicate work?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Xort
The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it.

So the many years of development before release wasn't enough...?

+1. this is getting ridiculous.
Reply Quote
I would bet that almost no one on these forums has ever tried game development. I have, and I went to school for it. You don't have to take my word for it, and I really don't care because I don't need to prove myself to anyone. Like Vaeflare said, game development takes an insane amount of time and there is never an "easy" fix for anything.

Take a look at Bethesda, and the problems they have been having on releasing DLC for Skyrim on the PS3. They openly admitted that they were to blame for it's delay, but now they have stated they will be released in February. Unlike consoles though, pc's have many different configurations and requires more thorough testing.

Should it be taking them this long to fix Diablo? Not really for us to say, since none of us have the slightest clue what they are doing day to day. In other words, just be patient.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Ryaskybird

POE, Torchlight 2 and also Diablo 2 had much faster development for his age.

None of those have the quality that Diablo 3 has.

And certainly TL2 doesn't have the staying power. We shall see about PoE.

You are kidding me...where exactly is the staying power so far? the game population has dropped exponentially. perhaps if they implement something more in the future, sure, but as it stands now? D3 has very little "staying" power
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]