Diablo® III

One question for ur dev team

I would also like to point out that they changed major in-game mechanics three months before launch...do we have a double standard here blizz?
Reply Quote
Back in the sixties, a band came out with such a good album, strawberry fields forever, that they took some songs and held off for the next album...magical mystery tour.

Holding off content for an expansion, or new album, or new IP is business. Period. Start your own game and you decide.

Nuff said.

Intentionally holding off on content for release later as the expansion, or paid DLC for that matter, is IMO, what would amount to "lowering the standards".

If you don't want people to rage about it, don't tease it. Saves you all the trouble.
Reply Quote
This project has "Enterprise Agile gone wrong" written all over it. Vael, I love you, but please don't defend your process this hard when it's that very process that yielded a game of this quality, in this state.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 08:10 PMPosted by Mendacium
I would also like to point out that they changed major in-game mechanics three months before launch...do we have a double standard here blizz?

Excellent point. I have harped on this a lot, but having worked in Agile (read: short-cycle-iteration-based) software development environments for almost 10 years, this is the exact pitfall. Agile without proper leadership and solid design vision leads developers to believe that they can change major systems constantly, because they're "iterating on it."

This makes Q/A impossible, hence an incomplete game, error37, not tested using auction house.
Reply Quote
So then you think that Blizz has some magical programmers wand that they can wave and fix everything in a jiffy. They can even use it to make a perfect update without any issues or bugs, huh. Well back to reality, they do not have such things.

Also I would like to know what game companies can come out with updates that are not bug fixes. Ones that add new content in only a week. Are they a 2D text based game. Or maybe a MUD text based game. If not and they are anywhere near the size and scope of this game. I wonder just how many bugs they have in their updates.

What you need to do is to learn more about making a video game and see what is involved before trying to convince others it is super easy to achieve. Where all content updates are easy and fixes are even easier.
Reply Quote
I think the only thing Blizzard and Jay Wilson were guilty of with Diablo III was to sorely underestimate the amount of time it would take the masses to finish the game and be ready for additional content. I bet they really thought they would have plenty of time to push new stuff out before we would even need it. Didn't someone finish Inferno in 7 hours? They did not plan for this. Otherwise a great game!
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 08:23 PMPosted by BrokenSword
I think the only thing Blizzard and Jay Wilson were guilty of with Diablo III was to sorely underestimate the amount of time it would take the masses to finish the game and be ready for additional content. I bet they really thought they would have plenty of time to push new stuff out before we would even need it. Didn't someone finish Inferno in 7 hours? They did not plan for this. Otherwise a great game!
No what they underestimated was that they should of never released a game that was not ready to be released in the first place. Once the PvP patch hits, when it hits, that should of been the time D3 should have truly been released.

So far we are 8 months ahead of time. I will guess around 9 months. Then and only then should D3 have been released but it still does not mean the game would have been ready.

They rushed it out the door and trust me, I would of waited an extra year for release as long as the game would have been a complete game.
Edited by TheDoctor#1731 on 1/18/2013 8:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

If we the players believe this to strongly, I think we would be doing a disservice to the game.
although some fixes may seem as challenging as removing the eggs from a baked cake, I have an iron strong suspicion that some fixes are the complete opposite....
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 08:23 PMPosted by BrokenSword
Granted, many of the "early" finishers were ones that were using exploits which went unchecked. Then you have the issue with gold exploits, dupe exploits (known: rollback dupes), bot exploits, and the like.

Additionally, the community screamed and cried for nerfs and for increase in item drops and item power. With all of that combined, we have a game which satisfies nobody.

Blizzard should have stuck to the original design intention of D3, added features (like NV but no guarantee rares), Paragon Levels, Skill coefficient tweaks, and left Rare/Legendary drop rates alone. D3 is a grinding game, and far too many people complain about grinding.

Due to all this, you get people that find really nice rares, but then complain they can't sell them. Why? Rares are far too common. Mediocre Legendaries are trash as well.

So ya, I'd be in favor of a full 100% reset. Not going to happen, but I'd be in favor of it.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 08:19 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
Also I would like to know what game companies can come out with updates that are not bug fixes. Ones that add new content in only a week. Are they a 2D text based game. Or maybe a MUD text based game. If not and they are anywhere near the size and scope of this game. I wonder just how many bugs they have in their updates.

Plenty of examples like Gnomoria, Minecraft, and other alpha-funded games. I am a game developer but i don't think you need to be one to know the last patch is not the result of the hard work of the full Diablo 3 development team. Compared to previous patches it is really small. And objectively as a developer, even with Q&A and everything else, knowing how (not) pleased most players are, i would expect WAY MORE from the most powerful game development company in the world.

So don't ask if they are working slow or fast. Just ask : how many people are still coding on this game ? Maybe some thing happened in those months preventing the team to be fully productive (like xmas, director change, future system rewriting planning...). But maybe 3/4 of the devs are working on the add-on, and maybe every good feature is built in the addon code instead of the patches.

Anyway, we could all excuse delay and lack of game content if it was for the excellence of it. But it is not the case. In fact, Blizzard game-design choices were strange at first, and now they are completly stupid. Every gamedesign book tell you a lot of things they still seem to not see. Sometimes they say they have their reasons (sometimes they change mind quickly too), sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

Like the non linearity of some costs or the total lack of balance in almost every aspect of the game (just look at the "feeling" of the basic challenges : time vs reward, difficulty vs reward, cost vs reward) > did the experience seemed smooth and perfectly balanced to you ? Far from it. And today, as a gamedesigner and as a very long time player none of the decisions they made for last patch made sense or they failed to design/finish them properly. (i played all diablos, all mods, addons, and so on).

I liked Diablo 3 and the first patches, but clearly now the shared feeling is that fixes are not going fast enough. The gamedesign lack of consistency fixes i mean. Player are waiting a major and total rehaul of the crafting system, the end of the useless/stupid affixes, really usable builds, choice-involving itemization, synergies between skills,builds and items...

All has already been said. Given the expectations of most player and the development of the last 3 months, i think most players will start to loose faith if blizzard does not fix the game design quite soon.
Edited by Poch#2435 on 1/18/2013 9:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Xort
The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it.

So the many years of development before release wasn't enough...?

diablo 3: 12years
path of exile: 1year,ho wait its 12times less
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 06:09 PMPosted by Vaeflare
While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

While some here can understand where you are coming from, most will not....they are just too young to understand how a business process works.

That being said I believe you guys could be a little more open with what is going on behind the scenes. My thought is maybe have a page that has the top 5 priorities the devs are working on for the current week. Obviously if a plan gets put on hold then tell us and put the next priority on the list.

What I have seen with the last few patches is this:
1. Players complain about a bug / make suggestions on forums
2. CMs may make comments on said bug / suggestion (most likely not)
3. Patch comes out and players say "Wow, Blizz does listen to us"

Being open with what the priorities are may quiet some of the QQ but it may also bring some different QQ by way of people complaining that what they think should be a top 5 priority is not on the list. But most would appreciate the information.

I obviously don't work at Blizz so this following comment may not apply.

I don't see putting out this priority list as being that hard to do:
1. CM ask what the priorities are for the week at their weekly meeting
2. CM updates community

Even if the priority could affect the AH it should still be put out because people get pissed when they buy items/consumables and then you guys put out a patch that has an affect on said items.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for a great game!
Reply Quote
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

What I can tell from this, is that you have become too large for your own good. You have listed so many unnecessary steps that are now required from your company.

How has that not contributed to all of this negative feedback?

You cannot honestly tell me that all of this excess work is not part of the fact that there has been so much negative feedback?

It is little wonder why AAA studios are branching off, making and supporting indie studios.

You have lost touch.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

None of those have the quality that Diablo 3 has.

And certainly TL2 doesn't have the staying power. We shall see about PoE.

You are kidding me...where exactly is the staying power so far? the game population has dropped exponentially. perhaps if they implement something more in the future, sure, but as it stands now? D3 has very little "staying" power

Diablo 3 is in the top ten games on Xfire. It also is number 2 in its genre on Amazon.

Not too shabby for a four-act hack and slash RPG released nine months ago.
Reply Quote
And Twilight is a smash hit. One wonders...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]