Diablo® III

One question for ur dev team

2It is true, game development, programming, approval and implementation take a lot.

You left out the most frequent and most time consuming tast: TESTING

Each subroutine has to be tested until it works as intended. Once the routine has been tested it is added into it's section(s) and/or another subroutine, and that has to be tested, and so on. If a bug is found, testing has to start all over....

Testing takes more time then everything else envolved with releasing any computer system, whether it is a game or something else.

And then you have to do Beta testing... Each bug found cause everything to return to the developers for fixing, testing, and back to Beta testing

And then you release it and again, for every bug/change back to the developers for fixing/changing, testing before releasing a new version...
Reply Quote
One word to answer your question, incompetent.
Reply Quote
View profile
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

Several overarching things will fix this game... Loot being more fun and dropping/ rolling NEAT... not godly, but neat affixes at least some of the time... making loot something you crave again...

I proposed making all items drop 1/2 as much, but boosting the yellow/blue/legendary ratio by double and then... adding say 50% more to the drop RATE. Make getting rolls about 50%-100% better... tighten rolls. Somewhat around their appropriate level of difficulty. MP0 would have full rolls as they are now and then they tighten as you go into higher difficulties... I mean this is the progression after all. No one should be "farming" Godly gear as a guarantee from anything other than mp10... that is not to say that mp0 act 3 on up won't drop godly things... but you see the chances are lower. I think this makes sense. You may say that getting less stuff on the ground will hurt us.. but it will not... doubling the "chance" at the lottery per item will fix this, and leave us with a sense of pride when we do find something great in the "fewer but better" item pool we have.

I proposed bringing back item sizes so that people feel the "heft" of what they are carrying ...

With the smaller drop quantity, this would be very manageable.

Half of the dialogue should be removed... no boss speech save for a few lines. Recast Diablo's Voice ... and for the love, take the butchers speech out... redo Magda to a more "demonic" type character model... the voice can stay, however but make her a real "!@#$%"...

There are a few more but I'll keep harping on those at another time :P

Edit - These are the things I've been saying for 8 months... are we ready to listen?
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 1/19/2013 1:26 PM PST
Reply Quote

Shove it.
You can't tell someone to shove it when they gave you a legitimate company that DOES do it faster AND better. Riot Games is what all companies should strive to be.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 1/19/2013 1:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
They explicitly say on the POE website that they have been working on it for 6 years, and it still isn't completely finished. How is that much faster?
Edited by Cheeze#1877 on 1/19/2013 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hugely iterative is just another typical Blizzard term to describe a design team, that has no idea where they are heading and thus need to push each idea through the whole production pipeline to check it out live ingame.

Jay Wilson admitted this during one of the Blizzcon panels while talking about lenghty spell design and how they could improve this process. Such words coming from the mouth of the lead game director is - scary.

Other companies can create great games given less budget and time. There is nothing about this game except server/client architecture and RMAH security issues that justify 7 years development for a semi-complex hack'n slay.
Reply Quote
View profile
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

Several overarching things will fix this game... Loot being more fun and dropping/ rolling NEAT... not godly, but neat affixes at least some of the time... making loot something you crave again...

I proposed making all items drop 1/2 as much, but boosting the yellow/blue/legendary ratio by double and then... adding say 50% more to the drop RATE. Make getting rolls about 50%-100% better... tighten rolls. Somewhat around their appropriate level of difficulty. MP0 would have full rolls as they are now and then they tighten as you go into higher difficulties... I mean this is the progression after all. No one should be "farming" Godly gear as a guarantee from anything other than mp10... that is not to say that mp0 act 3 on up won't drop godly things... but you see the chances are lower. I think this makes sense. You may say that getting less stuff on the ground will hurt us.. but it will not... doubling the "chance" at the lottery per item will fix this, and leave us with a sense of pride when we do find something great in the "fewer but better" item pool we have.

I proposed bringing back item sizes so that people feel the "heft" of what they are carrying ...

With the smaller drop quantity, this would be very manageable.

Half of the dialogue should be removed... no boss speech save for a few lines. Recast Diablo's Voice ... and for the love, take the butchers speech out... redo Magda to a more "demonic" type character model... the voice can stay, however but make her a real "!@#$%"...

There are a few more but I'll keep harping on those at another time :P

Edit - These are the things I've been saying for 8 months... are we ready to listen?

Also, add more icons for buffs... and for the love, remove Archon and Berzerker forms.. they really distract from the "loot" game in that they show a character devoid of anything cool... it harkens to my druid days on WoW... nobody wants to be a generic character model that takes away their "look" I'd opt for a larger and more pissed looking version of the barb I am currently playing with "MY LOOK".. couldn't be much harder than a simple increase in size and change in color.... pretty straight forward guys. Same with archon... just bad design for a loot focused game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]