Diablo® III

[3]Uberjager's thread on Ubergearing WW Barbs

Hi, this

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hair-2152/hero/2038987

is my barb. I've been mostly farming for keys on MP4, used to do ubers fairly easily on MP7 with a stormshield, but haven't really tried them yet since switching to a WW build.
I'm kinda wondering where to make improvements to run higher MP's easily. I think I'm relying on the extra health from globes on my OH ring a bit much. I'd switch to one with +average damage otherwise.

edit: switched to new shoulders with + health on globes, free to upgrade OH ring now!

I'm also saving up for a better IK chest with at least 100 more vit (I realise having so much vit on the MH is kinda frowned upon:))
My main problem is generating enough fury to keep WOTB going all the time, I can do it if mob density is high enough but not elsewhere. I guess part of it is not really understanding breakpoints very well. Any pointers for where to make useful upgrades?
Edited by Hair#2152 on 1/7/2013 7:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 06:42 PMPosted by br549
i realize i play a hybrid shield ww but hoping you might have some pointers for me anyway, thanks.
\

You look pretty good all around. I didn't check your breakpoints, but with 1 weapon IAS is more important then ever, so make sure you hit those. Your next upgrades are going to be high tier pieces like crit mempo....I also noticed you only have 12% move speed and excessive defense and sustain. Consider getting high Vit Inna's pants....your Blackthorn's are just decent at best, and the increased move speed and attack speed might do you well.
Reply Quote
@ Hair

D3rawr.com has a breakpoint calculator, and this is a spreadsheet, I can;t check yours because I am at work:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjPQvt06HFyJdHJjY1JSVEo5dkI5QUttMzY1Q0pWR2c#gid=9

You need to transition some Vit off that main hand weapon so you can have more freedom to upgrade it to a more damage centered stats like inherent crit damage and average damage.

Pieces that you could upgrade with more vit:

IK chest is the most effective, but also the most expensive (see mine)

Rings and/or amulet

Helm (although the one you have is pretty nice for a rare)
Reply Quote
@wayneold

thnx for the advice and yeah looking for mempo with crit, innas and ik chest at minimum, then jewelry
Reply Quote
@ Wayne, thanks. I'll have to get a better IK chest and main hand, guess upgrades will be pricey from now on :)
Reply Quote
Thanks so much for this thread.

It's a massive amount of information so I'll be taking my time to read through it. I've been looking at the breakpoints but I'm not really sure I understand them.

Could you take a look at my profile and give any advice? I've sadly been guilty of one of those buy item when you see it on AH and well probably wasted gold gearing suboptimally.

Here's my profile: http://d3up.com/b/235945
I also use a pair of crappy lacunis +andys with exp gem for low MP farming. Here's what that looks like. http://d3up.com/b/226170
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks so much for this thread.

It's a massive amount of information so I'll be taking my time to read through it. I've been looking at the breakpoints but I'm not really sure I understand them.

Could you take a look at my profile and give any advice? I've sadly been guilty of one of those buy item when you see it on AH and well probably wasted gold gearing suboptimally.

Here's my profile: http://d3up.com/b/235945
I also use a pair of crappy lacunis +andys with exp gem for low MP farming. Here's what that looks like. http://d3up.com/b/226170

Looking at your gear, you have almost no IAS, which is a huge problem for WW dps. The breakpoints are given in APS (can look on your char sheet for it in game) and it's important to get enough IAS to hit several breakpoints so that your tornados tick more often. Your MH APS without WOTB is less than 1.5, which is very low.

You have a ton of crit (63%) which is really more than you need, and you'd benefit more from dropping some of that crit and picking up IAS. I'd say replace your helm with a mempo of twilight. This will trade the crit on your helm for 8-9% IAS and you'll break even on the HP/str. That brings you down to 3pc IK, which is fine. Your IK chest isn't very good, but your HP is more than fine so it's not a huge issue. Next, I'd say replace your bracers with decent pair of Lacuni's, you don't need a pair with crit so it will be cheap. This will also get you to 24% MS, which is important for WW since it lets you drop an extra tornado on every sprint.

Your amulet is pretty poor. I'd replace it with something that's similar minus the LOH/CC reduction and try to get either IAS or crit damage. You may have to give up some str or average damage to do so (try to keep some average damage on it).

Your weapons are OK. Mainhand damage is fairly low, but that's mostly because of the amount of dps mods on your weapon (that jacks the price way up on weapons).

Your long term gear goals should be (not including the stuff I mentioned up top):
1) get a better MH, as much damage range as possible, probably go with a mace
2) get a good offhand Echoing Fury. EF is fantastic for WW even in the offhand because of the +APS bonus, which applies to both weapons (EF alone will push BOTH of your weapons up a full breakpoint). The stats you're looking for in an offhand EF are decent str, crit damage (either on the EF or on a socket) and life steal. The fear chance won't matter too terribly much in the offhand, but lower is always better. EF can roll native crit damage, life steal, and a socket, pick two.
3) Replace your IK chest. It's not a good chest. Yes, it has high str, but high vit is more important on a chest because you can get up to 300 vit (only chest and legs can get that much). You can replace it with a Blackthorne's, a better IK (really expensive but worth it) or a rare.
Edited by bigtexasdan#1433 on 1/8/2013 2:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I do have a little bit more AS/MV spd on my second link (crappy lacunis, andy visage) the issue is that my ehp takes a big hit when I wear that which is why I mostly wear it for farming only (like mp1). I guess I can still afford the lacuni switch ehp wise though.

The IK chest is self found and was an upgrade from a 197vit no str blackthorne's so that's why I use them. Even the crappy ones are like 10-15M on EU AH so that's why I haven't replaced chest yet. =)
If I replace both chest and helm with mempo and rare/blackthorne I will only have 2set bonus is that ok?

I also have a 30% nonbarb 5% Cold SOJ and a 28% barb 3% crit WW (6% noncold) SOJ that I switch in mostly for ubers. Which is better? I guess the cold one will be nice when I use the EF.

A question about the follower. I currently use the templar to max magic find but is the enchantres a better choice? I notice you recommend star of azkaranth + azurewrath and other stuff but then I lose a lot of magic find. Is this something more when you're higher paragon level to think about?

Regarding weapons I agree they are kindoff a weak slot right now. It's because I didn't understand which weapons are good (what stats to look for) so I've been unsure what to spend 10-20m on. When I put echoing fury on offhand (at d3up) I gain in tick rate but lose tDPS according to it. Is that because it doesn't take into account MH aps gain or it's not an upgrade? These are pretty pricy at 30-50m so it'll be awhile yet before I can upgrade weapons I guess.

EDIT: Everytime I try to replace an item that gains me in ticks I lose dps both paper and tDPS. Is it still worth it like if I replace more slots or I need to gear differently somehow as I reach higher breakpoints?
Edited by Mordath#2770 on 1/8/2013 6:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
Can I get some tips on my gear? I currently wear Leorics and Hellfire while running mp0 but have a cold SOJ when doing anything higher. Tested Weapon Throw last night and it was alright, going to try Overpower: Killing Spree tonight and see how that goes.
Reply Quote
01/08/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Fathom
Can I get some tips on my gear? I currently wear Leorics and Hellfire while running mp0 but have a cold SOJ when doing anything higher. Tested Weapon Throw last night and it was alright, going to try Overpower: Killing Spree tonight and see how that goes.

Are you looking to get better at running MP0? Or looking to progress to higher MP's? Because as it looks here you have a great setup for lower MP's (I am guessing fear isn't much of an issue when everything is getting pretty much stomped by your damage).

Also, do you have the Vit gems in your IK chest to throttle your damage for low MP's? If so, good strategy.....but to advance MP levels you will need to look to move that Vit elsewhere to install Str. gems. The Cold SoJ is a great way to combat the fear by EF in the main hand, but if your goal is to really start stomping higher MP's I find that EF in the offhand with a great average damage main hand and complimenting stats is the best way to make the biggest advancement.

Also, if you continue to do low MP's forget about weapon throw and overpower as long as you are just sprinting through the entire level, put on Rend - Ravage and pair it up with Animosity....just tap Rend while you are in a big group and move on to the next set of enemies....let the DoT kill them, and now since it flashes when a legendary drops you don't need to babysit the mob until it's dead, just keep moving....plus the 20 fury cost of Rend will make keeping WoTB up even easier on lower MP's.
Reply Quote
Are you looking to get better at running MP0? Or looking to progress to higher MP's? Because as it looks here you have a great setup for lower MP's (I am guessing fear isn't much of an issue when everything is getting pretty much stomped by your damage).

Also, do you have the Vit gems in your IK chest to throttle your damage for low MP's? If so, good strategy.....but to advance MP levels you will need to look to move that Vit elsewhere to install Str. gems. The Cold SoJ is a great way to combat the fear by EF in the main hand, but if your goal is to really start stomping higher MP's I find that EF in the offhand with a great average damage main hand and complimenting stats is the best way to make the biggest advancement.

Also, if you continue to do low MP's forget about weapon throw and overpower as long as you are just sprinting through the entire level, put on Rend - Ravage and pair it up with Animosity....just tap Rend while you are in a big group and move on to the next set of enemies....let the DoT kill them, and now since it flashes when a legendary drops you don't need to babysit the mob until it's dead, just keep moving....plus the 20 fury cost of Rend will make keeping WoTB up even easier on lower MP's.

Thanks for the quick reply. The Vit gems were from before I upgraded a few pieces and was below 40k HP. I find running MP0 is going pretty well but I have to get better at keeping WoTB up, sounds like Rend will help with that. Hopefully I can get a Hellfire with crit soon which should help some more.

If I want to look at doing higher MP's I should move the EF to the OH? What kind of weapon would I want in the MH? High DPS Mace/Axe with socket and LS or CHD? Other than that, any glaring weaknesses or just upgrade each slot with similar items of higher stats?
Reply Quote
@Fathom

Look at the setup in my profile....try to get weapons close to those margins and play especially close attention to the min-max of my main hand weapon. Also, I made sure to hit my breakpoints of 26/23 before laying off of IAS gear (someday maybe I will go for my 30/26 breakpoint at 33% IAS).

You will need to transfer life steal to either a new main hand, or invest in a new EF with life steal....one way or another you will have to find a way to maintain around 6% life steal with whatever setup you use. Your current weapons are ideal for low MP farming, but to deal out more damage you will have to upgrade those weapons.
Reply Quote
some advice for high MP ubers please. Can run mp8 just fine with zero to minimal deaths. tDPS is over a million fully buffed (no bash stacks, more with that, but that's burst DPS for when I think to do it/ EXTRA health) and I also got a healthy 500k plus eHP (yeah still got to use impunity; but whoa, res and armor balance out nicely).

Now my question is, do I get lacunis with more CC (4.5 up to 5.5) and some vits (so that in the end I can socket all 50 str gems)... Or bring my mainhand breakpoint up to 2.5 and get 8.57 ticks per sec? Offhand is already at 10 ticks. I can do both, but sacrifice the crit dmg in gloves to do so (IK gloves with 6/7 atk speed depending on atk speed of lacunis).

When I plug all of this into d3rawr, my tDPS goes down overall, but the mainhand ticks make that jump, 7.5 to 8.57... thoughts?

I understand that my END game gear will be IK chest with vits, ice climbers with move speed (pickup radius too please?) and some tri dmg gloves... Should I make moves towards that end game? That means no atk speed gloves for the moment and just the lacunis upgrade. humm, I think I just talked myself into that course of action. But...

How big a deal is it to make the mainhand jump to 8.57 ticks? I definitely notice a smooth WWing difference based on which weap I swing last, but then i just swing once and bam, am super duper smooth again. Right?

Any other advice for about 100 mill budget? I've considered a weap overhaul with a low dps EF with base crit and socket (not too pricey) but then I'd have to hold out hope for an amazing mainhand weap. I mean, hard to do better than the offhand I have now.
Reply Quote
I just hit 60 on my barb a few hours ago and read through the thread. I think I was able to hit most of what was mentioned for a budget WW barb(spent 4Mil). My main question is where to go from here ? I still have 10 mil or so to spend, and would like to know what to put/save towards. Thanks for any advice or tips! Also thanks for such an informative post/thread

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nimusho-1960/hero/29960291
http://d3up.com/b/246783
Reply Quote
I've read through everything, great information! Thanks...if you have time could you give me advice on my barb. I'm struggling on mp10 ubers
Reply Quote
@ theBADone

Stone of Jordan will help you with ubers

As far as a long term strategy, get a good IK chest and high vit Inna's for the move speed and Lacuni's with primary stat, that will let you drop IAS from a slot (assuming you have already calculated breakpoints) I suggest either a Mempo or IK helm for the socket.

@ Nimusho

You have done very well. Start by increasing your damage modifiers on your amulet and rings (your strength is terribly low). Also, start trading out those Vit gems for str gems as you get more comfortable with lower life (you should be able to operate with 35k life or so without much of an issue) Also, get that crit chance up with Overpower killing spree. Your choice of using Vit gems and Crushing Advance leads me to believe you are farming a higher MP then you need to. Lower the MP level, relax on the defensive stats and skills, and start the insanely long....sometimes unforgiving grind.

01/08/2013 07:35 PMPosted by jrambo88
I've read through everything, great information! Thanks...if you have time could you give me advice on my barb. I'm struggling on mp10 ubers

A lot of people struggle on MP10 ubers. Do you run in a group, or are you trying to solo? Is there a specific battle giving you an issue? Is it damage (enrage timers) or defense giving you issues? As far as your gear goes you should be capable of either solo or group play....I just need some more info.
Reply Quote
I've tried to do it in. Group of friends with two cm wizards (one in the gear my wiz has on) and another really good 200k highly survivable cm wiz and a 160k ww barb. We couldn't beat the enrage timers on Zk and siege breaker. Then me and the high dps cm wiz tried ourselves on Magda and skele king and we usually get the skele king down to 25% life before we get overwhelmed by the butterflies or his walk
Reply Quote
I'm not sure what I could do to be more survivable for ubers, what on. My gear do you think is my weakest link
Reply Quote
01/08/2013 08:27 PMPosted by jrambo88
I've tried to do it in. Group of friends with two cm wizards (one in the gear my wiz has on) and another really good 200k highly survivable cm wiz and a 160k ww barb. We couldn't beat the enrage timers on Zk and siege breaker. Then me and the high dps cm wiz tried ourselves on Magda and skele king and we usually get the skele king down to 25% life before we get overwhelmed by the butterflies or his walk

01/08/2013 08:28 PMPosted by jrambo88
I'm not sure what I could do to be more survivable for ubers, what on. My gear do you think is my weakest link

You have a couple touch and go items with your gear, but this issue is obviously play style and group inefficiency. With CM wiz's in group be aware they slow down Maghdas butterflies and allow them to pile up so you have to eat them all at once....which can be deadly. As far as your other issues of beating the enrage timers. That comes down to strategy. Either splitting kulle and seige and burning them down seperate, or if the wiz's are good enough they should be able to freeze them in place and you can burn them both down. Regardless of where the actual strategy issue is....trust me, this problem is not your gear....

Look up some youtube videos of people doing Ubers.....if you want to solo ubers, there are videos out there for that as well....I even made a few and I would link them if I wasn't on my phone....

Watch other people do it, then copy their play style....your gear is not the biggest problem here.
Reply Quote
Ok awesome, I've been nit picking my gear, but really can't find any significant upgrades for a decent price. My I'm shocked on how much dps my amulet gives me and I really don't wan to lose that much for some vit or ar. I'm going to YouTube solo because the CMs I roll with cant consistently freeze Zk and siege breaker so we have to split them up and dps them down. I didn't know that about Magda either, those butterflies crush me badly, that's the biggest problem I have in that fight.and thanks for the help you are one of the few people on these boards that aren't a troll. I really do appreciate the help.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]