Diablo® III

[3]Uberjager's thread on Ubergearing WW Barbs

Am I geared enough to farm uber MP5? Any build suggestions?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 03:18 AMPosted by Charlie
Am I geared enough to farm uber MP5? Any build suggestions?

._. Man I wish I could answer your question but I have 0 experience farming MP5 ubers.

When 1.05 came out I was already capable of farming MP10 and never did ubers below MP8.

Could anyone out there answer his question?
Reply Quote
Hi, great thread. Learnt alot from this.

I have built up this gear set for some time, I think its about a mid-upper tier set (correct me if I am wrong). Quite a few mistakes along the way but it has reached a point where other than the IK helm, most of the upgrades are quite expensive (>100m).

I do have an IK belt, IK boots, witching hour, non crit mempo to switch around depending if I want to get more sustain or hit the next WW breakpoint. I like to have around 9% LS.

Just want to hear out some advice on where I can head next in terms of gear or is there anything I am doing glaringly wrong. I have been looking for a MH upgrade (mace/axe with 900 ave dmg, socket, 80% CD and LS or Str).

No real objective to aim for, probably want to try mp10 uber solo soon (i can do mp9 currently).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Reply Quote
@Charlie

I just did an MP7 Ubers and started close to MP5 when the patch hit. I think you might struggle a little with no life steal on your weapons. I would reccomend trying to grab a main hand with lifesteal.

Upgrade your gems if you can.

40k life might be close also.

What build do you run Ubers with?
Edited by Dep#1326 on 1/18/2013 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Can't believe I've only just found this thread. I abandoned my WW/sprint barb a couple of months ago after not being sure where to improve it. Currently I seem to have poor fury regen at low mps, and too low DPS at higher mps.

I'd love to get some tips for upgrades and changes. In a bizzare moment of profit when abandoning a a test build for another class I accumulated a lot of gold (for me), so Ive got about 400m. My ideal endpoint is being able to use hota builds in multiplayer uber mp10 runs (or ww/sprint if its more effective) and to be able to solo in higher mps (and kill things reasonably quickly). I can "assist" in mp10 today but its very slow going and I need a CM wiz to keep ubers locked down.
Reply Quote
Although I'd still love any help on my previous "help me" post, I do have a specific question. Is it better to have NO +str on either/both weapons in a 2x1h setup but with higher avg dmg, ls and a socket vs having no socket/cd but having +str vs lower avg dmg + socket/cd + str + ls?

It seems, from a pricing perspective in AH, that removing the STR need you can get much much cheaper weapons with equivalent other stats (for example a EF with STR, LS, socket compared to the same EF with INT, LS, socket is about 100m more expensive).
Reply Quote

I have built up this gear set for some time, I think its about a mid-upper tier set (correct me if I am wrong). Quite a few mistakes along the way but it has reached a point where other than the IK helm, most of the upgrades are quite expensive (>100m).

I do have an IK belt, IK boots, witching hour, non crit mempo to switch around depending if I want to get more sustain or hit the next WW breakpoint. I like to have around 9% LS.

Just want to hear out some advice on where I can head next in terms of gear or is there anything I am doing glaringly wrong. I have been looking for a MH upgrade (mace/axe with 900 ave dmg, socket, 80% CD and LS or Str).

No real objective to aim for, probably want to try mp10 uber solo soon (i can do mp9 currently).

It is important to remember as your DPS increases the less LS you need to sustain. It will be difficult for you to maintain 9% LS as a goal in higher DPS. You should be able to sustain with no issues with 5.5-6% LS...If i were you I would try it and see how it feels. Sadly because of the insane math involved in breakpoints, etc for me it is just easier to try it and see how it feels. This would give you luxury to move to a witching hour which would help you towards your next BP goal and give you added CD.

01/18/2013 10:41 AMPosted by jotter
Currently I seem to have poor fury regen at low mps, and too low DPS at higher mps.

Pretty vague but my guess is that your sweet spot right now is somewhere in MP3 for fury regen and damage. Sometimes it comes down to playstyle. Looking at your gear i don't see any big holes except maybe trying to steer away from that Andriel's. That fire damage hurts like hell in higher MP. You seem to be maxing the right stats. When going through MP0-1 make sure you don't spam sprint and hold down the whirlwind when moving through mobs. Techincally with your dps, you should be able to hit the whirlwind button for 1/2 a second sprint through a mob and kill the majority of everything and retain at least 1/2 a globe of fury for the next mob.

01/18/2013 01:27 PMPosted by jotter
Is it better to have NO +str on either/both weapons in a 2x1h setup but with higher avg dmg, ls and a socket vs having no socket/cd but having +str vs lower avg dmg + socket/cd + str + ls?

Personally I believe this is the worst thing to do. It is a good temporary solution but I am more of the mind set to save and get pieces you know will last you a while. STR (as you probably know) has so many added benefits including native armor which boosts EHP. EHP is HUGE for higher MPs and must be balanced with DPS. Personally I aim to have around at least 110 STR on my mains. I don't rely on my weapons for any other primary stat (VIT should only be considered a bonus and not relied upon). If you get primary weapons without at least a little bit of strength you'll just end up being upset with yourself when you try to hit the "next level" of gear.

Try going to d3up.com and loading your barb. You can change pieces of gear and simulate what it will do to your true DPS and EHP. I love it and helps me from getting any buyers remorse.
Edited by Prisus#1338 on 1/18/2013 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice. Im trying to escape from the lower MPs (< MP5) since they are somewhat trivial to do using my WD - who is far quicker and more efficient than my barb if I just want to level / farm low (but the AC build runs out of headroom around mp4).

I use d3up a lot (I agree its a great help in deciding on what to buy) but Im trying to hone in on the one, two, maybe three upgrades for my 400m that would start letting me work better at these higher MPs. So I can test each one but technically I can upgrade any piece of my gear so some narrowing would help. Ive made the errors you talk about before (buying too small of an upgrade which I ended up regretting) - and would love to make some good choices for a change (esp. given the cost).

(Is d3up's damage calc for spint and ww nados accurate?)

My AS is 1.78 with 128k DPS.

Maybe innas+ice climbers for increased IAS? Focus on getting to 2? I do have a few lacunis that would also work to boost IAS.
Or nice EF for off hand - does it need to be high dmg?
Sword for main without LS?
IK irons to get 10% mele reduction (at the cost of 75 RA)?
Andariels with what? IK? I'd lose the IAS but gain some good EHP. Mem Twilight is too expensive :-( 300m at min with ok CC

Edit: I've just switched to a EF with LS I had lying around to try it from my LoH 190% CD + str dagger and added some lacunis I also had stashed. AR now down between 520 and 600... CC 51%, AS 2.31 with enchantress.

Just played through a bit in MP4 and it's painful fighting anything with ground effects.

I seem to be short on health in general...
Edited by jotter#1459 on 1/18/2013 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

It is important to remember as your DPS increases the less LS you need to sustain. It will be difficult for you to maintain 9% LS as a goal in higher DPS. You should be able to sustain with no issues with 5.5-6% LS...If i were you I would try it and see how it feels. Sadly because of the insane math involved in breakpoints, etc for me it is just easier to try it and see how it feels. This would give you luxury to move to a witching hour which would help you towards your next BP goal and give you added CD.

01/18/2013 10:41 AMPosted by jotter
Currently I seem to have poor fury regen at low mps, and too low DPS at higher mps.

Pretty vague but my guess is that your sweet spot right now is somewhere in MP3 for fury regen and damage. Sometimes it comes down to playstyle. Looking at your gear i don't see any big holes except maybe trying to steer away from that Andriel's. That fire damage hurts like hell in higher MP. You seem to be maxing the right stats. When going through MP0-1 make sure you don't spam sprint and hold down the whirlwind when moving through mobs. Techincally with your dps, you should be able to hit the whirlwind button for 1/2 a second sprint through a mob and kill the majority of everything and retain at least 1/2 a globe of fury for the next mob.

01/18/2013 01:27 PMPosted by jotter
Is it better to have NO +str on either/both weapons in a 2x1h setup but with higher avg dmg, ls and a socket vs having no socket/cd but having +str vs lower avg dmg + socket/cd + str + ls?

Personally I believe this is the worst thing to do. It is a good temporary solution but I am more of the mind set to save and get pieces you know will last you a while. STR (as you probably know) has so many added benefits including native armor which boosts EHP. EHP is HUGE for higher MPs and must be balanced with DPS. Personally I aim to have around at least 110 STR on my mains. I don't rely on my weapons for any other primary stat (VIT should only be considered a bonus and not relied upon). If you get primary weapons without at least a little bit of strength you'll just end up being upset with yourself when you try to hit the "next level" of gear.

Try going to d3up.com and loading your barb. You can change pieces of gear and simulate what it will do to your true DPS and EHP. I love it and helps me from getting any buyers remorse.

Did you read the guide before replying? Let me quote Uber here:

"First things first. Here's a list of important stats that can roll on weapons (ranked in order of importance):

1. AVG damage.

2. Lifesteal.

3. Socket/Critical Damage (they're essentially the same thing)

4. Strength.

5. Vit."

You can read the rest of it (under 2G on the first page of the thread).

Strength/vit on weapons is a luxury. I don't mean to troll but this is bad advice for people on a budget.
Reply Quote
I apologize for my absence in this thread, I intend on responding to all of the people that have been missed in the last few hours/days by myself and Uber tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience
Reply Quote
@Charlie

I just did an MP7 Ubers and started close to MP5 when the patch hit. I think you might struggle a little with no life steal on your weapons. I would reccomend trying to grab a main hand with lifesteal.

Upgrade your gems if you can.

40k life might be close also.

What build do you run Ubers with?

I was thinking WW/Blood Funnel for ubers, probably replacing Bloodthirst with Tough as Nails when I grab a main hand with LS.

Should I drop all +MS gear for a pair of Ice Climbers for more survivability?
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Fury
Marquise ruby in MH seems to beat emerald

I still need to run more math on this before I am 100% convinced, but I believe you.....also need to make sure Blizz doesn't change the values on us unexpectantly.

01/17/2013 07:22 AMPosted by lewstherin
Can i get some tips on mu gear as well? Thx a lot

It appears you are low MP farming by your gear and skill set-up. If that is the case, and XP gains are your goal keep doing what you are doing, at least until the next patch when higher MP's will actually net more XP then lower for a difference. But get yourself a Hellfire ring, and while you are at it get one for your follower as well, you get 20% of the benefit (or a 7% increase from a hellfire ring on him/her)

If you are looking to farm higher MP's and/or ubers, there are a couple things you can change, IK belt will get you higher resist and similar stats to the current belt you have on, and also give you 4% melee dmg reduction, which is an undervalued stat. Also, your Oculus ring, although nice, takes up a slot normally reserved for strictly damage stats like average damage, Crit damage, and crit chance (of which it has none). I haven't run your breakpoints either, so maybe getting an IAS ring could improve your breakpoints as well. Look into dumping the defensive stats in favor of more offensive gear....but like I said, it appears you favor magic find and low MP farming....if that's the case, keep doing what you are doing.

Couple questions that I am unsure about concerning weapons and stats for my Barbarian. Now, I am not going to be upgrading anything in the near future as I am waiting to see all of the changes done on the PTR and the actual patch notes (and the hidden stuff that 'doesn't make it in'), but still curious about a few things for future reference.

1. I have a pretty good grasp of the whole attack speed and tornado breakpoints, but when looking for a main hand weapon should I consider weapons with IAS stats on them? I know it seems to cut into the potential damage range by lowering it, but if I did get a weapon with IAS on it (and sometimes it seems hard to avoid on the AH) would that have the benefit of making it easier to hit tornado breakpoints?

2. Does the added attacks stat on Echoing Fury apply to both itself and the main hand speed for tornado calculations? I haven't browsed the calculator yet, but I think I remember someone saying it does.

1. Weapons with IAS are not necessarilly a bad thing, as long as you do not compromise on average damage (the min-max value of the weapon). In order to have a weapon with good min-max and IAS as well as other desirable stats you will have to pay a hefty premium, and it is much easier to gain that IAS from gear, have it benefit both weapons, and it has a tendency to be less expensive. Remember, if the weapon itself has IAS it only benefits that one weapon for your breakpoints, where gear with IAS benefits both weapons.

2. Yes, the + .2x attacks per second on Echoing Fury applies to both weapons. Be careful with how you use it though, it tends to have a lower min-max range because of this (unless you get a godly one) and in your main hand your tornados and your WW will proc fear, as opposed to using it in your off hand where only your WW will proc fear, which is considerably less.

Could I get some tips on my gear also as you have time.
Thanks in advance.

(i know pants.. they were looted and a lot better then what I had)

I haven't run your breakpoints, but if you are comfortable using an axe nd in a good breakpoint, the biggest single gain you will see (damage-wise) is by upgrading your main hand.

Your damage range is quite low with 500-900, It will be expensive, but an upgrade to an axe with a damage range of 550-1100 and comparable stats will be a huge leap for you, not to mention you will see compounding effects once you start to upgrade your other pieces like your IK belt, shoulders, and IK chest. You are leaving 300+ strength on the table from top rolled pieces with just those items. The higher average damage you attain with your main hand, the more damage multipliers like strength and crit damage will help when you can afford to upgrade those.

01/17/2013 12:33 PMPosted by Dep
Wayne and Uber you guys rock. A wealth of good info here, keep up the good work and know that it is appreciated.

You're welcome, thanks for the acknowledgement.
Reply Quote
I was thinking WW/Blood Funnel for ubers, probably replacing Bloodthirst with Tough as Nails when I grab a main hand with LS. Should I drop all +MS gear for a pair of Ice Climbers for more survivability?

Use Hurricane, don't trade out to blood funnel, escaping damage is just as important with Uber's as anything. Your build otherwise is fine, but it does take some skill to keep WoTB up against Kulle and Seige. Your gear is good enough to do MP5 solo, but I have one question: Why? Do the battle in a group, it is much easier, and everyone benefits. If you want to see tactically how to do it, I am going to make a thread very soon how to solo Ubers because I see a lot of people asking, but for now refer to these articles/videos to help you out:

Stolen from a post I made earlier:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592199537

His claim is plausible, yet unconfirmed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7350725426

Here is a vid of me doing a carry on MP10 ubers with a dead player in the game...meaning they had 170% health. I also have links to KingKongor's 5 min and some change video for all 3 Uber battles, and Det0x's world record (to my knowledge) MP10 uber kill, but for some reason Det0x's vids don't seem to be working....

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415156034

This topic is a gear set I built for MP10 Ubers for 233 mill, admittedly, I could not kill ZK/Seige, and the gear set was kind of busted....yours should be able to do a better job. But if you watch the vids maybe you can pick up some tactics....like I said, I couldn't complete the 1 battle, but I did the other 2, and got ZK/Seige down to 30% each, so you should be able to take them down.

By the way, found Det0x's vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmmb9Chqf9Y

I know it's for MP10, but you'll get the point.

If you want to solo MP 10 ubers refer to the above post for vids and tips.

As far as gearing goes, you are right, getting a good main hand where you maintain your breakpoints and have a higher average damage (while switching that EF to your offhand) will be the single biggest upgrade you can do. Keep searching the AH for one with the stats you want....it might take a while.

Also, your Vit seems high enough, why not attempt to transition some of those amethyst over to rubies? You can get a higher Vit roll on your IK chest if you need your life to remain about 50k, but yes, it will be expensive. You already identified your IK helm as a weakness, if you want to stick with IK go for something closer to mine, otherwise consider sticking with your Mempo and IK belt to keep your set bonus, and dropping IAS from another slot (like your gloves) in favor of more Vit and crit damage. You have a lot of good pieces, what you need to do is decide what your breakpoints will be after buying new weapons, find out where to get your IAS from, then load up on average damage and damage multipliers on everything else. Right now with so many gear alternates you can't really help yourself out until you decide on a main hand, run your breakpoints, then maximize the damage potential of the rest of your gear.

Can't believe I've only just found this thread. I abandoned my WW/sprint barb a couple of months ago after not being sure where to improve it. Currently I seem to have poor fury regen at low mps, and too low DPS at higher mps.

I'd love to get some tips for upgrades and changes. In a bizzare moment of profit when abandoning a a test build for another class I accumulated a lot of gold (for me), so Ive got about 400m. My ideal endpoint is being able to use hota builds in multiplayer uber mp10 runs (or ww/sprint if its more effective) and to be able to solo in higher mps (and kill things reasonably quickly). I can "assist" in mp10 today but its very slow going and I need a CM wiz to keep ubers locked down.

For an MP10 uber guide whether it is solo or in group, reference my above post for video's on how I do it. Like I said, I will be coming out with a topic in the near future, because this seems to be a common question I am getting, but until then, those videos should help out.

Although I'd still love any help on my previous "help me" post, I do have a specific question. Is it better to have NO +str on either/both weapons in a 2x1h setup but with higher avg dmg, ls and a socket vs having no socket/cd but having +str vs lower avg dmg + socket/cd + str + ls?

It seems, from a pricing perspective in AH, that removing the STR need you can get much much cheaper weapons with equivalent other stats (for example a EF with STR, LS, socket compared to the same EF with INT, LS, socket is about 100m more expensive).

Whoa...had to read the quite a few times....still not quite sure what you said.

Average damage, like Uberjager said, and Fury pointed out in his post is the most important stat for a main hand weapon. This is because it is a stat which has very limited areas which it can come from. If you start with a low average damage, all the damage multipliers (life crit dmg and str) you can tack onto it still end up with not enough bang for your buck. Obviously premium pieces with high average damage and high multipliers are more expensive, but if you have to make a choice, get average damage on your weapons, as well as crit damage (highest potential multiplier on weapons) and life steal. Gather your strength from other slots on your gear. It is still important, but if you need to make a choice what to drop....strength and vit are the first things to go when selecting a weapon.

As far as your 400 mill to spend....

An IK chest with higher Vit will make your life a lot easier, you are leaving 200+ vit on the table with the one you have now. Crit Lacuni's will bring up your damage and fury generation by a bit, a new helm (Mempo, I would guess because of your breakpoints, I haven't run them though) and IK boots (you can get some with just as much Str. and AR, but add on 90 + vit to the firewalkers and the 3 piece bonus would allow you to keep the melee dmg reduction)

So, what I am saying is transition the Vit off of your weapons and rings, lean heavy on pieces that roll high vit, then work on making your weapons and jewelry strictly damage items.
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 1/19/2013 7:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Wayneold, thank you for the very helpful pointers!

Couple of followups before I start totaling various prices...

So between the weapons and the various armor pieces I'd guess, from the guide and your response, its all armor first, weapons second. I do seem to find in mp4+ that Im not sustaining enough with my DPS (although Im sure my rusty play style is also not helping!).

Mempo with crit or without? Clearly a big difference in price (a big chunk of my 400m!)? Obviously the Andarials has both at the moment.

I find spending 70m+ per item makes me hesitate on every purchase :-)

Hmm. I wonder if there are any new legendaries coming in 1.07.

Thanks again for a great thread and the help.
Edited by jotter#1459 on 1/19/2013 8:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
Crit Mempo's are very expensive....and you always need to do armor before weapons.

Get some Crit Lacuni's to keep your crit chance up to where you are familiar with it, it will allow you to make a much less expensive transition then a crit Mempo, plus you will gain quite a bit of AR in the process of getting just any Mempo (try for one with some Vit).

By increasing your AR with the Mempo and your Vit with the other pieces of armor you should be able to level out your defensive issues and start concentrating on damage in no time.
Reply Quote
01/19/2013 08:40 AMPosted by jotter
Hmm. I wonder if there are any new legendaries coming in 1.07.

Account bound crafted rares

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8414570/Public_Test_Realm_--_Patch_107_Notes-1_14_2013#crafting
Reply Quote
@fury. Thanks. I'd seen these coming but I wasnt sure whether they'd be able to roll some of the "not usually in slot" affixes (like IAS for innas pants or MS for lacunis) - wondering if the AH prices might go wildly down for these currently pretty unique items.

Also: where is a good place to test changing IAS on various pieces of gear and seeing what the final number is for looking up against Nubtro's charts?

I use d3up a lot but it shows me two numbers for IAS, based on MH and OH. Should I be using both? Some other number? Does it depend on what the last weapon swing was before I sprint (I thought the last weapon only effected WW).

Or am I doing this wrong and there is a simpler way to gauge the effect or adding, or removing (which is what Im actually interested in) IAS%?
Edited by jotter#1459 on 1/19/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Where is a good place to test changing IAS on various pieces of gear and seeing what the final number is for looking up against Nubtro's charts?

I use d3up a lot but it shows me two numbers for IAS, based on MH and OH. Should I be using both? Some other number? Does it depend on what the last weapon swing was before I sprint (I thought the last weapon only effected WW).

Or am I doing this wrong and there is a simpler way to gauge the effect or adding, or removing (which is what Im actually interested in) IAS%?

I use this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjPQvt06HFyJdHJjY1JSVEo5dkI5QUttMzY1Q0pWR2c#gid=0

Input your weapon info on the left, then the numbers in red indicate how much IAS you need on your gear in order to attain a certain breakpoints. I only use WoTB breakpoints because that is where I want to be optimum.

Add up your gear IAS manually, the spreadsheet already includes the 15% IAS that your armory would indicate, so make sure to just do it manually so there are no mix-ups.

Don't worry about last weapon swung, it is a tactic that does not work in practicality. Try to attain a solid set of breakpoints for both weapons.
Reply Quote
@wayneold, thanks. You are right that I should sort out my MH first and the rest will follow.

Just 1 more question: Realistically, with a mace MH and EF OH, I can only hit the 26/26 breakpoints. Going 30/30 requires 7 slots with IAS which would be too much of an overhaul given my current gear.

From your experience, is a high dmg mace/EF combination hitting 26/26, or using my current EF/dagger hitting 26/30 better? I am getting alot of sustain from my current setup and the extra ticks from the 30 breakpoint seem to deal more damage. I would not be able to afford a 900 dmg, 70 CD, socket with LS mace at current AH prices.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
From my experience it is better to have the 26/26 breakpoints with a beastly main hand mace. I, personally hit 26/23 breakpoints with WoTB and am more then satisfied with my damage.

Be patient, find one at the right price with the stats you want, and trust me, you will be satisfied with the high average damage. After that its all about pumping up that average damage with as many multipliers as you can get your hands on.

People with 30/30 breakpoints tend to focus more on lower MP farming, and while there is nothing wrong with that, I have experienced first hand that high MP farming will be just as, if not more efficient than low MP for XP in patch 1.07 as long as the current XP values are used.
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 1/19/2013 8:29 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]