Diablo® III

[Extreme Game Issue] Please fix this Blizzard

[Applies mainly to Hardcore] Disconnects, the 10 second timer, and Votekicking.

Please watch this video of a very unfortunate death as a start to my post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DyPgCNeU-k

This is probably the most ridiculous issue in the game, Hardcore Disconnection deaths.
I am going to provide a couple fixes for this.

Suggestions for disconnections in Hardcore mode. (Option A is Un-exploitable)
(Coming from someone who has experienced multiple DC deaths)

***TESTED AND CONFIRMED -- Complete disconnections can take up to 60 seconds to completely remove you from the game***

1. Single player mode.

Option A
---Instead of keeping the game unpaused and counting down a 10 second timer, Pause the game immediately when the server detects a disconnection. The game remains paused for up to 5 minutes to give the user time to reconnect. After 5 minutes, the 10 second timer will take effect and the game will be unpaused possibly causing your character to die. When A user logs back in to Diablo III during that 5 minutes, he/she is automatically taken from the login screen to the game he/she disconnected from in Pause mode.

Option B
---Get rid of the 10 second countdown timer.

2. Multi-player mode.

Option A
---Instead of keeping the game unpaused and counting down a 10 second timer, Give each player a 120 second "disconnect bank" at the start of each game in group play. When a player disconnects, the game will automatically pause for every player with a countdown timer of 120 seconds to give the disconnected player some time to re-enter the game. After 120 seconds passes, the three remaining players will have the opportunity to give the disconnected player an extra 120 seconds to reconnect via pop-up message. If not all players want to wait, the game will unpause and the 10 second 'leave game timer' will start for the disconnected player. This also informs the other players that are still connected to help the disconnected player and protect him/her if the game is unpaused

Option B
---Get rid of the 10 second countdown timer.

Please note that Option A is the most optimal choice for attacking these issues.
Thanks for your time. Please 'like' this post to get the attention of the battle.net staff! :)

As for the Votekicking... Get rid of the timer countdown or remove the feature from the game... Simple as that. I don't understand why Blizzard has implemented this. It makes it easy for a person joining a public game to get pk'd. :(

Thanks!
Edited by Showny#1494 on 1/6/2013 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
This x 100. Way way way to many HC deaths are happening due to this 10 second timer involving a DC. Give us some love Blizz
Reply Quote
I support this. I think removing the 10sec timer would help. Maybe enabling the option before starting game, or having it on when solo. Lets get a blue response to this. I don't think them making pointless threads about "what Diablo item would you want" blah blah. Lets get something from a blue!
Reply Quote
Auto pause would be nice to have in single player hardcore. I've only been disconnected once in hardcore and that one time cost my witch doctors life, im sure if that auto pause would have been implemented maybe id still be playing him instead of making a new one.
Reply Quote
I am all for DC death prevention. Two of my own level 60 deaths are from DC, and one from a 10 second lag spike in a descecrator pool. However, two things.

1) It was your connection. Blizzard servers are incredibly stable (with the exception of release week), more than people are willing to admit. Yes, I know you were still on Team Speak. It was still your side.

See, the thing is, D3 isn't as good as other programs at handling your connection hiccups. Once, I remember I was playing with an IRL friend while talking to him on skype. Just like in your case, I DC'ed, but the skype call remained on. We were talking through the process of him covering my !@#, and it turned out that my guy stayed in the game for roughly 40 seconds. (It took about 30 seconds for the server to recognize that I was no longer connected, then the 10 second timer started.)

Afterwards, I looked at my router settings and realized that, just then, my DHCP did an IP reset. I later checked to see if there's a correlation between IP resets and D3 disconnects, and it turned out there was, with exact timing. The DC was on my side, although Skype was able to handle my call while D3 booted me.

Of course, I still support DC prevention, as long as it's done right, which leads me to my second point.

2) Option B is bad, bad bad! Nobody should consider Option B; nobody should even mention it. I hope you edit it out. I don't want you to get it in people's heads.

The thing about D3 is that it doesn't have super sudden deaths like D2 does. There are a few exceptions, like fallen maniacs, azmodan's fireball, etc. But for the most part, deaths are slow, and you know it's coming when you're facing it.

If Option B were around, and you could leave instantly when disconnected, then people would play with the plug on their lap. At least, those people who would later become on top of the game. Not only that, but WDs would have a 100% success rate in not dying. They could just make a macro that automatically disconnects them when their Spirit Vessel triggers. They would effectively be Softcore WDs. Then you would have 99% of HC being WDs, and the economy becoming a saturated piece of garbage like the SC economy.

I am very supportive of DC death prevention, but not at the cost of the integrity of Hardcore. If our only options were Option B or nothing, I would choose nothing. But I support Option A.
Reply Quote
I've died twice in hardcore, first time being because of my stupidity which was actually a great feeling. I learn t a lot from that experience and was absolutely ready for more.
Well, the second time was a lag death, and what did I learn from that? That I won't be playing hardcore again until it's fixed.
Reply Quote
I DC in normal mode for seemingly no reason at all, and it happens frequently - at least every few runs. There is literally ZERO useful response from the technicians on this issue. One of them told me to delete Windows 7 and reinstall it, and I'm not even running Windows 7. My system and home network are state of the art, and I'm a 25-year veteran network admin, so I know it's something outside of this house. I wouldn't start Hardcore unless they had a guaranteed way of preventing this from happening.
Reply Quote
SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
My HC character is built to withstand disconnects, but no amount of anything can prevent it completely because sometimes the stuff you're fighting is just too dangerous. I support an alternative way to handle a player time-out. Even lowering the timer to 5 seconds would help a lot. A well-made player can almost always last 5 seconds. It's the full 10 seconds that really seals the death.
Reply Quote
Option A seems very reminiscent of how Starcraft works when someone is lagging... definitely the proper way to deal with this problem.

That being said though I haven't tried HC yet (afraid of the DC issues).

What is this votekicking issue? Don't tell me someone can kick you, and your character stays idle in the game for 10 seconds and can die without your control.... that would be BS and a obvious game-breaking flaw.
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 04:26 PMPosted by Showny
[Applies mainly to Hardcore] Disconnects, the 10 second timer, and Votekicking.

http://translate.google.com/#auto/en/His%20hardcore%20disconnection%20was%20filled%20with

Just hit the speakers labeled "Listen" so Google can tell you what she thinks.
Edited by Koric#1513 on 1/4/2013 8:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is the #1 reason why hardcore is a joke.

Playing hardcore on diablo3:

Hey guys, we just released a new game that is the exact same as the game you already enjoy except we randomly send ninjas into your house to steal your memory card and there is no amount of skill that can prevent it. Your reward is that you'll get to brag that you handicap your free-time on purpose!
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
Just about everything listed here can be exploited.

Son I am a disappoint.

It is easy to make suggestions on how to fix it but almost all of them can be exploited.
Reply Quote
Just about everything listed here can be exploited.

Son I am a disappoint.

It is easy to make suggestions on how to fix it but almost all of them can be exploited.

So tell me how option A is exploitable?

You seem like all talk with no explanation.
Reply Quote
Just died from a dc ... that frustrating and unacceptable they Have to do something !!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
Install PingPlotter and monitor your connection for sudden failures:
http://www.pingplotter.com/.

Inspect the logs after you dc to identify the point of failure. It could be your NIC, router, ISP modem, circuit issues, or yes, Blizz servers.

When you disconnect you should minimize game immediately and launch the browser application to verify your internet connection status, simply log on to any website to confirm your service works.

You may be surprised to learn what really causes your disconnects.
Edited by Artos#1510 on 1/5/2013 10:11 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]