Diablo® III

Votekick PK Solution

(Locked)

01/07/2013 10:10 PMPosted by Lylirra
Why not just go to option and set no public game display so nobody random joins your game? FIXED, . . . smart.

Ehhh. While the advice "don't play in Hardcore public games" may be valid in a number of situations, we recognize that this is a legitimate issue for Hardcore players and want to address it ASAP -- ideally in a way that doesn't impact co-op play (or impacts it as minimally as possible).

Right now, we're looking to remove the 10-second movement lockout whenever a Vote Kick is passed from both Hardcore and Normal modes. While we realize this solution may allow players to exploit the Vote Kick function to avoid death, it's not a very reliable survival technique and we feel that it's a better alternative than players losing a character they've invested a lot of time into due to griefing. We'll definitely be keeping on an eye on this, though, and will consider other solutions if necessary.

I don't know yet if this is something that can be addressed via hotfix; it may be a fix that we need to implement with a client-side patch. We're still working out the details, and I'll provide an update once there's any more info to share.

Really appreciate the response! Thanks.

I also hope a ban is going to be passed down on the individuals who have been the cause of the widespread griefing. They've been reported dozens of times with many topics concerning them..

They used an exploit to intentionally harm many players in the worst way possible and should not be left free to roam after ruining the experience of many players via an exploit.
I hope you do it soon... I just learned about this 10 second timer thing because someone votekick pk'd me on my very first and only level 60 character just for fun. Depressing as !@#$.. I'd rather die to lag ffs.
Thank you so much for a response about this.
Why not just go to option and set no public game display so nobody random joins your game? FIXED, . . . smart.

Ehhh. While the advice "don't play in Hardcore public games" may be valid in a number of situations, we recognize that this is a legitimate issue for Hardcore players and want to address it ASAP -- ideally in a way that doesn't impact co-op play (or impacts it as minimally as possible).

Right now, we're looking to remove the 10-second movement lockout whenever a Vote Kick is passed from both Hardcore and Normal modes. While we realize this solution may allow players to exploit the Vote Kick function to avoid death, it's not a very reliable survival technique and we feel that it's a better alternative than players losing a character they've invested a lot of time into due to griefing. We'll definitely be keeping on an eye on this, though, and will consider other solutions if necessary.

I don't know yet if this is something that can be addressed via hotfix; it may be a fix that we need to implement with a client-side patch. We're still working out the details, and I'll provide an update once there's any more info to share.

"While we realize this solution may allow players to exploit the Vote Kick function to avoid death,"

Right, I guess it takes less than 1 second for players to votekick someone even if you are using vent. I can totally understand HC players would be abusing this.
Edited by Alloppy#1574 on 1/7/2013 11:09 PM PST
01/07/2013 11:09 PMPosted by Alloppy

"While we realize this solution may allow players to exploit the Vote Kick function to avoid death,"

Right, I guess it takes less than 1 second for players to votekick someone even if you are using vent. I can totally understand HC players would be abusing this.

Not that difficult to scream "AH I'M GONNA DIE" then run like a !@#$% hoping they votekick you fast enough.

Not that difficult to scream "AH I'M GONNA DIE" then run like a !@#$% hoping they votekick you fast enough.

Jesus. Just remove the 10 seconds movement lock-out. Players will still be booted in 10 seconds.

If you could escape mobs without dying in the first 10 seconds, you probably wouldn't be dead after.
Jesus. Just remove the 10 seconds movement lock-out. Players will still be booted in 10 seconds.

If you could escape mobs without dying in the first 10 seconds, you probably wouldn't be dead after.

exactly
character they've invested a lot of time into due to griefing.

griefing? lylira, have you seen the video of the lvl 60, para 43 losing his witch doctor because of lag on your end? the timer to exit is a bad idea to start with, and i dont even play hard core.

also, care to share what you guys are up to in the office? everyone back from vacation now?
Increase the timer from 10 to 100 seconds and remove the loss of control of character.

Hard to abuse to avoid death, because you have to stay alive 100 seconds after you have been kicked.

Players can't be griefed because they don't lose control of character.

Easy to code so developers can focus on upcoming SC2 HOTS expansion.
If you're a victim of the votekick in HC, can't you just press ALT + F4?

Right now, we're looking to remove the 10-second movement lockout whenever a Vote Kick is passed from both Hardcore and Normal modes. While we realize this solution may allow players to exploit the Vote Kick function to avoid death,

Ok, stop right there. Full stop. This is where I find the current developer attitude simply obnoxious. While some might exploit it to avoid death, it is better than allowing for a completely unjust death.

You have decided to go on the side of allowing lag out deaths in order to prevent panic saves. This is simply WRONG. You are punishing legitimate players with this completely asinine approach.

Were it not for a long time gaming friend, I wouldn't even be playing HC now because of this policy. He convinced me to play HC with a streamer friend of ours after I had sworn off HC because I had lost a monk during the time when the immune-wiz exploit was happening and I had a DC death.

The OBVIOUS problem is with your cranial~rectal approach to HC. Hellgate nailed it, and you can't even reach that level? Pathetic.
Thank you to OP for making this thread and a big thank you to Lylirra for the reply...
Thanks for the response, looking forward to finally being able to play in public games again without worrying about PK!
Right now, we're looking to remove the 10-second movement lockout whenever a Vote Kick is passed from both Hardcore and Normal modes. While we realize this solution may allow players to exploit the Vote Kick function to avoid death, it's not a very reliable survival technique and we feel that it's a better alternative than players losing a character they've invested a lot of time into due to griefing.

Thank you for looking into this.

However, I feel you should just remove the timer altogether. It makes no difference if people dodge death or not. In the end everyone is essentially playing against themselves. It's a solo, single player experience that everyone should be able to enjoy as THEY want, not how Blizzard wants them to.

Everyone paid their $60, if they want to cheat death, who does it hurt? There is no reward for being dead or alive, right?

There are so many other problems with the unnecessarily 'always online' hardcore game anyway with server drops & server side lag spikes. Lets face it, there's more than enough danger as it is.
Edited by Otis#1467 on 1/8/2013 1:05 AM PST

Thank you for looking into this.

However, I feel you should just remove the timer altogether.

esc, up arrow, enter was a crutch

did you not play diablo 2?

cheese, pure cheese

I've never quit a game to save my character. Other players may want to though, so let them.
It won't hurt anyone else, so who cares?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]