Diablo® III

Don't confine duel areas!

Lylirra, all I want is a more open map. Can I have that? The current one is very small and has a lot of issues with actually being able to see the enemy.
Reply Quote
If you do add a dueling hub to every act, how about making it a different map for each? That's enough variety for me.
Reply Quote
Adding a bar in the public games option that just says Dueling would help us find each other to duel.

The best option would be to be able to make our own games and names them "Duels" etc, but I realize this probably isn't possible under the current B.net design.
Reply Quote
I agree with Anuiran. A different themed map for each Act would certainly reduce the feeling of stagnation with dueling.
Reply Quote
This is fantastic. I am so happy this type of content is completely separate from the actual game world. I personally don't want to see or hear about the dueling zone while grinding or grouping with friends.
Edited by Aphid#1730 on 1/15/2013 8:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Lylirra
So just to get this clear, their will be no other way to find people to duel other than the channel you guys will create?

Not presently. If you have any suggestions, now's the time to provide them!

The chat room will be nice for fellow PvP players but a lot of the time people don't join chat rooms. I think there should be an option for Public Games to just queue for PvP. Not matchmaking necessarily but just a way for 2-4 people to get matched up without having to go through the problems of chat rooms.
Reply Quote
I hope expansion comes out sooner than 10 years, I want more acts to play! :)
Reply Quote
I dont understand why so much time was wasted to create new maps for duelling which have no purpose other than for duels, which they state are just for fun, no reward, no added benefit...

The world that you play through normally wasn't designed for player vs. player combat, so it doesn’t translate well to dueling. There are just too many variables that could wreak havoc during a duel: non-PvP friendly geometry, events, scripted sequences, monsters, level-up effects, portals, etc.

For example: What if someone duels a player while they have Leah (or another hireling) as a follower? What if someone accidentally clicks on an NPC and opens up a dialogue window or a vendor screen? What happens when someone transitions through a portal or to a new zone? Sure, we could try to make accommodations for dueling to assist with each and every of these situations, but not only would those changes require a significant time and resource investment, they'd also have to be flawlessly integrated into the main game world. It's a lot of work for a feature that a lot of players simply won't see or really take advantage of.

uhh wait a second.. how long have you had to implement these features? its arena light.. not even, iv been watching the vids and reading the write ups cos yeah like im going to d/l 15gigs of ptr.. so half the players in a game can be in this realm doing what ever and the other half pve? this is so backwards i dont get it at all.

dont even worry about balance, think about the system.. Its in a separate realm (i.e arena) but doesnt have a score board or and means to organise the fights LOL.

Dueling is a thing of pride and competition, just let us throw down a flag in PVE with a little circle radius, if any body wants to accept have him throw there flag inside the challengers circle.. and even bigger circle expands and you can fight to the death in there. have it on a timer let more than 1 person throw their flags down in the zone. be able to right click on your flag and arrange set the rules i.e 1v3 2v2 wager 500g ect. do it in the keep halls with fallens runing around, where ever.

its that simple, game would = fun. what is this thing they have given us? its not dueling.
Edited by aCiDeLmO#1304 on 1/15/2013 8:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Lylirra:

How's this:

Add a "Duel Flag" option and a button that corresponds to it. When you click it, you throw down a red-glow version of your flag where you stand.

If another player throws down their Duel Flag within a certain distance of yours, a 30-second timer begins. During that time, a third or fourth player may throw in their Duel Flags.

After the 30-seconds elapse (during which you can take back your Duel Flag to cancel the duel), dueling begins. Death just results in both players teleported back to where they threw their flags.

How to deal with monsters on the map will have to be thought out, but this idea could be a start.

Edit: Well I guess you can set it so that while dueling you deal 0 damage to monsters (to prevent abuse)

Edit#2: Omg that would actually set up quite a lot of fun ways to duel. Demon Hunters playing sniper vs sniper in MP10 Act 3 amidst dozens of monsters? =D

Edit#3: I actually only read page 1. Did not realize my idea was not original. Sorry to above =(
Edited by necropuddi#1442 on 1/15/2013 9:08 PM PST
Reply Quote

Dueling is a thing of pride and competition, just let us throw down a flag in PVE with a little circle radius, if any body wants to accept have him throw there flag inside the challengers circle.. and even bigger circle expands and you can fight to the death in there. have it on a timer let more than 1 person throw their flags down in the zone. be able to right click on your flag and arrange set the rules i.e 1v3 2v2 wager 500g ect. do it in the keep halls with fallens runing around, where ever.

its that simple, game would = fun. what is this thing they have given us? its not dueling.

Dude throwing this much info at the D3 dev team is too much for them to handle and they will short-circuit.
Reply Quote
Could we just have the caravan guy activated an allow us to join duels? he is in most/all of the acts (or at least he brings you to them). This could also let us move between acts (or in game quest selections), eventually.
But for now, just the option to "travel to new tristem and duel" would be good enough
Reply Quote
Just following this and want to throw in a link to my feedback as well. Thanks.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7591982364?page=1#6
Reply Quote
I think the dueling is fine scripting wise, I have a couple gripes though.

• First of all I really wish the areas could be bigger. Bigger as in with more open space it just feels cramped and limiting, coming from many years of diablo 2 dueling I think it's important to have room for each person to be able to focus on dueling, and learning their opponents, not just constantly watching their peripheral in fear of running into a wall etc.
  • This isn't really a gripe, but more of a general statement. It's very noticable that we will need different builds for pvp than we use for pvm, but this isn't unexpected. I'm used to using different setups for different play types from previous diablo games.
  • Reply Quote
    Please, oh please add a scoreboard.
    Reply Quote
    its official we've waiting 9months and all we have to show for it is a 50m^2 area that we can run around and bang our heads together like chooks.

i really wanted something cool so i could bring some of my friends back and play together with them leveling new toons and having a "duel" or two along the way.. this is embarrassing, this will not bring anybody back for more that 15 minutes.
    Reply Quote
    take some of the unused runes on various skills and add PvP specific effects to them OR more realistically, design PvP effects for each rune. THAT would be amazing and definitely provide a reason to experiment.

Adding a scoreboard and choices for dual settings would also improve the quality of the gameplay. TBO, many people are very bored with the standard PvE play in D3 and I think that you and the dev team realize this to some degree. With all of the excitement about PvP and dueling, this is a great opportunity to make D3 the must play game with friends.

Include the ear trophy feature from the older Diablo games...heck, make them regents for PvP specific crafting recipes.

Seriously, many many players would love another reason to play D3, there are so many opportunities for the Dev team to be creative to expand upon this.
    Reply Quote
    Lylirra, why the developers made the world SO PVP UNFRIENDLY if dueling was something people were going to ask?

I don't understand...

Because we had no plans to implement dueling in Diablo III during that stage of the development process.

Its not your fault Lylirra but the fact that the devlopers from very start did not have plans to add dueling.... that just shows how far out of touch the people who made this game actually are. The fact that people would want dueling was obvious. Just look at the ARPG that set the standard for genra (D2).
    Reply Quote
    /dnd

would fix the duel request spam griefing.

Why should a player have to keep a DND status up (potentially at all times) just to avoid possible griefing? =/

how can that be "griefing" (as the word generally refers to random PK from D2)? I don't think the player base would think it an inconvenience to be able to toggle PvP requests on or off.
    Reply Quote
    I think the dueling is fine scripting wise, I have a couple gripes though.

• First of all I really wish the areas could be bigger. Bigger as in with more open space it just feels cramped and limiting, coming from many years of diablo 2 dueling I think it's important to have room for each person to be able to focus on dueling, and learning their opponents, not just constantly watching their peripheral in fear of running into a wall etc.
  • This isn't really a gripe, but more of a general statement. It's very noticable that we will need different builds for pvp than we use for pvm, but this isn't unexpected. I'm used to using different setups for different play types from previous diablo games.

• I completely agree with this. That was what was fun about D2 dueling was that the blood moor was so huge duelers could run in any direction (especially long range characters) so they could get away when they needed to but also run back into the duel quickly as well. It works well for both characters. The dueling arena should not be small, that just forces players into an exchange of attack-for-attack style fighting which doesn't leave room for variability in fights
    Edited by Chronos#1926 on 1/15/2013 11:29 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    Lylirra, why the developers made the world SO PVP UNFRIENDLY if dueling was something people were going to ask?

I don't understand...

Because we had no plans to implement dueling in Diablo III during that stage of the development process.

The dueling "area" needs to be about 20x bigger and fit up to 8 players per game like your successful predecessor.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]