Diablo® III

Don't confine duel areas!

I don't think the Arcane Sanctuary, the Maggot Lair and the Countess Tower levels would be called "best PvP" zones designed for that purpose, but they still allowed PvP to occur back in D2.

"Barricades and merchants" are not a problem for open area dueling, i just don't buy that, sorry. Open world pvp as of now will only bring fun and unexpected laughs if anything else so it's only a good thing.

Provided 80% of the time in public games you meet people with "similar" gear as yours (especially early in game), provided new starting chars are falling in that category too, provided you can inspect before duel really i don't see an issue...
Edited by Krystonosetz#2434 on 1/16/2013 11:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ok Lylirra, even though you blues clearly hate me for my aggressive and inflammatory speeches , I'll post anyway :D

Here is my 1,2,3 on how to make duels work "in game"... lets pretend we have 2 players who want to duel....

Player 1 logs in AND wants to immediately jump into a game with player 2 and duel them.

Player 1 joins player 2 and right clicks (or left clicks) portrait to bring up dueling mechanic...

Player 1 selects "Ask to Dual" in which case player 2 hears a chime much like the old hostile sound.

Player 2 sees the "small and arbitrary" dueling "invite" and proceeds to accept...

A countdown on the screen begins at 3,2,1... and the fight starts. Another chime plays much like the impending doom sound from going hostile in Diablo 2 (would be a nice throwback sound) and this could happen before or after the music.

An internal tally is taken of health and current cooldown on moves and regeneration continues in the background for health and resources and those are perhaps locked or kept for later. However, upon entering the duel and before the countdown of 3,2,1 the health, energy, and cooldowns of both characters goes to full capacity (finish cooldowns in this case). This would allow the most use of skills as well as other things right off the bat and would just be fun. Yes, barbs and wizards might shape shift etc, but the other classes will also have their benefits.

Behind the scenes, an internal timer is going and if no contact is made within 15 seconds the duel ends in a draw and a new duel must be instigated. This will have the affect of making duelers attempt to fight immediately and not run for hours. At any time no contact is made after initial contact for maybe 30 secs... the battle will end in a draw as well.

Much like in WoW dueling you could drop to 1 health upon defeat and within this time the game would "return" your starting health, resources and cool-downs... unlike wow however, the game could make the loser immune for 3 seconds to make sure they are not around any monsters etc and to allow the game to return their previous stats... and this could have a graphic. The true winner of a duel will claim an ear and ears will stack depending on name to 20 or so. Ears are sell-able to a vendor for 0 gold, drop-able, or they can be used for crafting enchants such as "XP on wins, Gold on wins, etc" Just flavor things that would at least give people a reason to duel and not feel like they are wasting time by not farming in that same time frame. Just food for thought!

I think that should do it!

In case of very low health duels upon one character winning BOTH could receive the shielding as their "old" stats are returned from earlier.
Edited by TheOneRaven#1565 on 1/16/2013 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Lylirra
So just to get this clear, their will be no other way to find people to duel other than the channel you guys will create?

Not presently. If you have any suggestions, now's the time to provide them!

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/35494-new-battlenet-mockup/
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 08:16 PMPosted by GamerLCD

The chat room will be nice for fellow PvP players but a lot of the time people don't join chat rooms. I think there should be an option for Public Games to just queue for PvP. Not matchmaking necessarily but just a way for 2-4 people to get matched up without having to go through the problems of chat rooms.

^^^ Agreed
Reply Quote
I spent a few hours last night in the dueling arena, playing with randoms and with friends, here are some of the things I liked and noticed about it.

First off, the classes are clearly unballenced, but we all knew that, and there's not a lot to be done about it outside of a complete overhaul of all of the classes.

Secondly, I found it to be a lot of fun, much more fun than I was expecting. I had thought that the difference between people's gear would make more of a difference than it seems to. This is a very good thing, imo.

While I really enjoyed the very simple treatment of dueling, it started to feel a bit chaotic and pointless after a while.

Here's what I would love to have added:

I like the current pvp area and the general system, but what would improve it vastly would be a tiny bit more structure.

I'm suggesting that a system similar to that of Super Smash Brothers be added. It would be a lot of fun to have different modes and a bit of structure. Like each player starts the duel with a certain number of lives, and the last one standing wins. And have another mode that's just on a timer, and the person with the most kills at the end is declared the winner.

I'm not saying that this should be mandatory, but I would seriously appreciate this as an option.

IF SUCH A SYSTEM IS NOT ADDED, I EXPECT PEOPLE WILL BECOME BORED OF THE CURRENT PVP SET UP VERY QUICKLY.

Simply adding a lives system (like you lose the duel after 5 deaths or something) or adding a timer would help a lot.

Duels need some way to clearly define a winner after a set period of time. Again, think Super Smash Bros style.

One other thing that would be very nice to have would be a spectator system similar to what SCII has. I think there would be a lot of people who would like to watch skilled players duke it out.

Anyways, thanks for finally adding dueling, even in the limited capacity that it is now.

Please consider adding a system similar to the one I described, if not in this patch, than in 1.0.8.

thanks
Reply Quote

Solution: Make D3 dueling similar to D2 dueling where anonymous PvPers from around the country/globe can find and locate each other. In D2, you could just create a game titled "Dueling Come All", etc. However since we cannot create and join custom games in D3, Blizzard should at least implement a "Join Public - PvP" button underneath the current "Join Public" game and then with the option to select 2-Player FFA, 3-Player FFA, or 4-Player FFA. When player has decided on the bracket, they are placed in a short queue and randomly matched with other people around the same level, with the intent of PvPing as well.In this way, players can not only duel with friends, but also compete against other PvPers from around the world, meet new people, make new friends, and experience a much greater diversity in PvP play

Essentially this is what I belive the community needs/wants.

I do understand that this would be in a perfect world, but the idea of a "Join Public - PvP" without any specification as to skill / 1v1, 3 way FFA or 4 way FFA sounds more realistic to something maybe developers could create and implement. Going into more depth as to number of players allowed and their relative skill/gear to me sounds like too much and not what you guys as the game developers are leaning towards.

Good to see my fellow gamers acknowledging this legit problem and giving all your sugestions love this community!
Edited by Ganimedes#1218 on 1/16/2013 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Lylirra, why the developers made the world SO PVP UNFRIENDLY if dueling was something people were going to ask?

I don't understand...

Because we had no plans to implement dueling in Diablo III during that stage of the development process.

And thats why i will not play d3 anymore and i feel i got ripped off.
Removing this key feature of all diablo wasnt very smart... Why changing a winning recipe in the middle of a serie this game dosent deserve the name diablo 3????
I am sorry but the leaders of the diablo 3 team should seriousely review their way of leading this project.
Solution was simple... upgrade everything but keep the same basic mechanics like what happened from diablo 1 to diablo 2
Call me a troll call me what you want im just saying what i think im pretty disapointed of this arcade version of WoW dungeons with crappy loots.
Edited by Hells#1810 on 1/16/2013 3:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
So just to get this clear, their will be no other way to find people to duel other than the channel you guys will create?

Uhh... There have been ways provided like... A lot... I thought you read everything new or old? If you are here everyday besides the weekends. There is high chance to seen something. I also don't understand why people over there can't think on their own, seemingly. Not you, just the idea department. Click on Public Game then have an option, search for PVP ga... Erhem... Dueling Game and it will randomly find a game for you. So confused as to why this is hard.
Edited by ISmkPotatoes#1756 on 1/16/2013 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
not sure if this was posted or not, i just skimmed through the other pages, but here go's\

1- to make it easier to find pvp battles, in the select your quest menu, have an extra tab after the last quest of act 1 "return to new tristram" and have a quest called "dueling" or "pvp" which is dedicated to pvp so people don't randomly join any quest on act1 to find a dueling game
2- with the above idea, u could do the same for each act
3- not too sure how difficult this would be, but in the "dueling/pvp" quest games, have the whole act open with no monsters anywhere, have the maps all identified and let the players decide where they want to battle. whether it be on a3 core of the arreat or a1 festering woods and so on

lmk if anyone likes these ideas/ makes sense to em
Reply Quote
I dont understand why so much time was wasted to create new maps for duelling which have no purpose other than for duels, which they state are just for fun, no reward, no added benefit...

The world that you play through normally wasn't designed for player vs. player combat, so it doesn’t translate well to dueling. There are just too many variables that could wreak havoc during a duel: non-PvP friendly geometry, events, scripted sequences, monsters, level-up effects, portals, etc.

For example: What if someone duels a player while they have Leah (or another hireling) as a follower? What if someone accidentally clicks on an NPC and opens up a dialogue window or a vendor screen? What happens when someone transitions through a portal or to a new zone? Sure, we could try to make accommodations for dueling to assist with each and every of these situations, but not only would those changes require a significant time and resource investment, they'd also have to be flawlessly integrated into the main game world. It's a lot of work for a feature that not a lot of players will see or really take advantage of..

Everything in your example seems perfectly fine.

If someone has an NPC (Leah) with them as a follower then we kill them both.
If someone accidentally clicks an NPC and opens up a dialogue window or vendor screen, their mistake they probably die (where is the problem?)
Someone hits a new area or tries to portal.. You can run, but you can't hide!! This would be awesome fun hunting players.

You don't need to balance it, as you have stated it will be impossible to balance. Put a hostile button and be done with it.

How bout you tell the truth. You don't want world PvP because people will cry about other people going hostile and hunting them when they don't want to fight.... Its to prevent griefing, but that is what Diablo is all about. Griefing. All the people finding creative ways to kill people in Hardcore are a testament to that. This is and always has been the core of the Diablo community... a bunch of jerks that like to frustrate other people as much as possible.
Edited by ThePMRC#1129 on 1/16/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
It seems a little foolish to question the design philosophy of a feature that they spent like 2 weeks developing. I'm not saying you should be happy that their team came back from 7+months of work on pvp and had nothing, or that they then just told these same people to try again after failing so badly. But the dueling is better than nothing, and from most things I've seen looks like it will add a little fun to the game.
Reply Quote
IF SUCH A SYSTEM IS NOT ADDED, I EXPECT PEOPLE WILL BECOME BORED OF THE CURRENT PVP SET UP VERY QUICKLY.
Such a system wasn't added for D2. And yet, people claim it's the best PvP evar with exclamations like "Make D3 like D2!"

Well, they did. You now have a D2 PVP system using some of the D3 limitations (like 4 players, no world roaming, etc). Community got what they wanted, and are not unhappy.

Also, full PvP patch is slated for 1.10. This is only 1.07, and a rushed PvP implementation. Don't expect the world in 1.07.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 06:02 PMPosted by CyberGoat
Such a system wasn't added for D2. And yet, people claim it's the best PvP evar with exclamations like "Make D3 like D2!"

Well, they did. You now have a D2 PVP system using some of the D3 limitations (like 4 players, no world roaming, etc). Community got what they wanted, and are not unhappy.

Also, full PvP patch is slated for 1.10. This is only 1.07, and a rushed PvP implementation. Don't expect the world in 1.07.

this is anything but d2 pvp.
there is no griefing !@#$ing pussies.
you cant make games specific to dueling unless you know people. and if youre at all like me, all your friends quit the first month because this game is %^-*ing garbage

this is not pvp. this is friends vs friends. i want the possibility to fight randoms that i don't have to ever exchange more words then you !@#$ing suck, or gg.
Reply Quote
My sugestion: There should be at least one PvP area in each Act!
Reply Quote
Lylirra, why the developers made the world SO PVP UNFRIENDLY if dueling was something people were going to ask?

I don't understand...

Because we had no plans to implement dueling in Diablo III during that stage of the development process.

u mean to tell me that the development team had no plans to implement dueling in a diablo game? and based on ur previous statement which implies that most, if not all, of the "world" maps don't support pvp, this leads me to believe that the aforementioned thought process of "no dueling" from the development team persisted during a majority of the time of game development. this reaffirms my previous conclusion that the development team has no idea what diablo 2 was all about (explains why d3 is nothing compared to d2). how could u strive to create a sequel to diablo 2, but initially wanted to remove a complete segment from its predecessor? did you think that diablo 2 lasted for 10+ years solely because people wanted to farm loot only to farm more loot? the answer to that question is quite obvious if you just take a glimpse at your data of player dropoff. yes, you have thrown us a bone by giving us the current version of pvp (which in all honesty does not seem like it took 8+ months to produce). but this comment from you stating that (paraphrasing here) "implementing world dueling takes too much time and effort, so we took the easy route and gave u a small pvp map" and "we initially didnt plan to have dueling in d3" shows exactly why d3 deviated so much from d2. seems to me that the thought process of the developers going into this "sequel" was to take the easiest route of development and use the "it wasn't fun" excuse to explain why so many features from d2 is missing in d3. did you guys honestly think that people bought a sequel to d2 because they wanted to see jay wilson's interpretation of what is fun?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

this is anything but d2 pvp.
there is no griefing !@#$ing pussies.
you cant make games specific to dueling unless you know people. and if youre at all like me, all your friends quit the first month because this game is %^-*ing garbage

this is not pvp. this is friends vs friends. i want the possibility to fight randoms that i don't have to ever exchange more words then you !@#$ing suck, or gg.

I cant agree more this game is dead already.
D.E.A.D.
Edited by Hells#1810 on 1/16/2013 6:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 07:27 PMPosted by Lylirra
We definitely considered the right-click > duel option, but there's a downside to it. If we allowed players to just initiate duels by right-clicking on a player's portrait or in the Friends List, that feature could and probably would be used to grief people by pulling them into duels at arbitrary moments. Heck, even if this system required that the invited player interact with some sort of confirmation dialogue before a duel could be begin

01/15/2013 07:37 PMPosted by Lylirra
Why should a player have to keep a DND status up (potentially at all times) just to avoid possible griefing? =/

Easy dear Lyli, why should a player have to keep chat channels off ( potentially at all times) just to avoid possible griefing ( from spam trade messages and other errant comments around) ?

Even in that case You still gave us the persistant option to turn channels off, option that persists from session to session wich is great in my opinion and the same concept would apply here.

You can enable dueling via portraits, along with a dueling confirmation but as a player you could still have the option to enter into a DND-do not disturb mode that can persist from session to session (until you change it of course). Also, if you already implement this mode you could implement another kind of player status like "Looking for Duel" "Looking for DuelParty" "Looking for UbberParty" "Looking for FarmingParty" to enhance the comunication between players.

This kind of approach would make a portrait dueling option viable.
Edited by Colt#2370 on 1/16/2013 7:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 06:21 PMPosted by cypherz
My sugestion: There should be at least one PvP area in each Act!

This is actually a wonderful suggestion

example (criteria - open areas)

Act 1 : Fields of Misery, The Festering Woods
Act 2 : Black Canyon Mines, Road to Alcarnus, Dahlgur Oasis (+ Path to the Oasis), Desolate Sands
Act 3 : The Battlefields, Fields of Slaughter
Act 4 : The entrance area of The Gardens of Hope 1 is kinda nice (map below - entrance is located lower right)
http://d3db.com/zone/i/gardens-of-hope-1st-tier
The Silver Spire (1 and 2), The Crystal Arch (only after diablo is defeated?) (also the areas that spawn in the gardens are not a bad place yet kinda small - rework them maybe?)
Edited by Krystonosetz#2434 on 1/16/2013 7:26 PM PST
Reply Quote

Start game under quest=pvp, you start inside the inn. Then auto-matchmaking can happen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]