Diablo® III

The (Un)official PTR Dueling Thread thoughts

If Blizz is trying to destroy their own game. They're doing a good job.

We implemented dueling to provide interested players a way to battle each other -- no objectives, no scoring, just Nephalem against Nephalem. It was something the community has been asking for, and with additional PvP modes still in development we honestly didn't have a good reason to keep saying no.

Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight. That's not what dueling is about. There will probably be some match-ups in which you're one-shotted (this is a big reason why we have no permanent Hardcore deaths at the moment). There will also probably be some match-ups in which you one-shot other players. Your heroes are designed to kill things quickly and without mercy, and in this case those "things" just happen to be other heroes.

We don't anticipate that everyone will like dueling. That's fine. While some players might really love it and find it a cool challenge, we're okay if most people don't make it an integral part of their gaming experience. The system exists to give you the opportunity to obliterate your opponents in an environment designed explicitly for that purpose, but that's it -- and we feel it achieves that goal pretty well.

Now, we're still open to your feedback and will be keeping a close on eye on it throughout the PTR process. We're not opposed to making changes if they benefit the game; in fact, that's what a PTR is all about. In return, we just ask that you keep in mind what the scope of what dueling is supposed to be, and that you give the system a fair shot before jumping to conclusions or making sweeping requests for buffs/debuffs/etc. Explore new builds, try out different tactics, and then let us know what you think. If we make changes, we want them to be informed, and that tends to work out best if the feedback you give us is also informed (i.e. not just a judgment based on only a few minutes of gameplay). :)
Reply Quote
well we better make some noise then, like how hard is to implement a frag counter and some damage reduction....
Reply Quote
I dont know...a wiz with running 200K DPS drops a blizz while running SA is pretty ruthless
Edited by Gcanum#1171 on 1/15/2013 6:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
damn, I'm gonna start leveling up my WD. I had a feeling they would be good.

Anyone stacking elite damage reduction and is sure it doesn't work? :(

ive had up to 21% stacked, didnt seem to do much but really couldnt tell at these damage levels...probably will have to test calmly with someone. like have a friend undress and shoot at me my whith only chuants set and then nothing.

same for elite bonus, just dress with bt set bonus
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried Archon with Tele for dueling?
Reply Quote
Here are my thoughts:

Mirror Images/5 clones - GREAT/this is by far the best defensive spell... BY FAR
Slow Time/80%MS reduction - GREAT
Hydra/Lightning - GREAT/Holy cow, do you remember the 1.01 kiting hydra build?
Illusionist - GREAT/combined with MI.... ridiculous
Wave of Force/impactfull - GREAT/Stun with range, 3 secs are really long... + knockback
Unstable Anomaly - GREAT/no Pvp without that

I'm using this setup:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZgdikT!ghd!ZbaZZb

Only baddies were a throw barb and a couple of monks (sss is OP IMO)
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 06:17 PMPosted by Aphraell
If Blizz is trying to destroy their own game. They're doing a good job.

Stack a bit more vit and you will have tons of fun.
Reply Quote
Here are my thoughts:

Mirror Images/5 clones - GREAT/this is by far the best defensive spell... BY FAR
Slow Time/80%MS reduction - GREAT
Hydra/Lightning - GREAT/Holy cow, do you remember the 1.01 kiting hydra build?
Illusionist - GREAT/combined with MI.... ridiculous
Wave of Force/impactfull - GREAT/Stun with range, 3 secs are really long... + knockback
Unstable Anomaly - GREAT/no Pvp without that

I'm using this setup:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZgdikT!ghd!ZbaZZb

Only baddies were a throw barb and a couple of monks (sss is OP IMO)

Have you tried mocking demise rune for mirror image? I figured the chance to stun might be good.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 07:04 PMPosted by Sphinx
Have you tried mocking demise rune for mirror image? I figured the chance to stun might be good.

Nope. Thing is, you better dont get hit by a Hota barb and its pretty fun looking at them when they miss due to the confusion caused by 5 wiz. It might be good tho.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 06:51 PMPosted by couchy

Archon vs anything that isn't immune is 1 kill. In a 1v1v1v1 ffa that skill becomes pointless, because you cant keep it going and its cooldown with no good way to refresh.

IMO Wave of force Impactful wave and Frost nova because they impart cc effects are Much more useful and their cooldown is super low comparitively speaking.
Reply Quote
im getting stunned to death by barb throwing things at me.. lol
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 07:13 PMPosted by worx
im getting stunned to death by barb throwing things at me.. lol

Use mirror image
Reply Quote
Nice to see the mirror miage being useful in pvp.

in pvm is not so good because hordes of monsters can destroy ur image fast and some of them already know who is the real one..... but i can see it working against a human... because that sec u lose aiming the wrong clone can be just decisive
Reply Quote
guys just do one thing - there is no way to beat anyone by Fair game atm for wizard ;) so lets get some juici tricks that works perfectly agains anybody - you just need to be fast and mobile + slow time.

just spawn arcane hydra with arcnane flux (or whatever is the passive) and it will solo kill any class so far ;)

you will have a real problem with wds anyway
Reply Quote
View profile
after i tuned my toon for PVP i never came close to getting one shotted. Tanked and killed many b4 i succumb to death.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aimless-1700/hero/10258657

EHP EHP EHP was running 1.25m EHP

MM, thunder storm and hydras for offense.

Butchers Sickle is sick. Pulls em in and stuns and you can do FN right after. Usually after I sickle someone they died.

Defensive 5 mirrors or fracture for mobility. Illusionist, blur, and Unstable anonomly.

Honesty PvP is boring but at least its something.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 1/15/2013 8:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 07:12 PMPosted by Harrowing

Archon vs anything that isn't immune is 1 kill. In a 1v1v1v1 ffa that skill becomes pointless, because you cant keep it going and its cooldown with no good way to refresh.

IMO Wave of force Impactful wave and Frost nova because they impart cc effects are Much more useful and their cooldown is super low comparitively speaking.

frost nova/deep freeze with temp flux and mistral breeze might be decent to refresh, using evocation/cm. i want to test but only have my laptop which can't handle the game too well until later next week.
Reply Quote
Why would you ever use Deep Freeze? There are only 3 targets.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 08:09 PMPosted by Merkyor
Why would you ever use Deep Freeze? There are only 3 targets.

my bad meant cold snap. with evo its pretty quick to recast even without cm.
Reply Quote
Wiz is actually pretty good for dueling. Barb seems to not do so well. I played with many 100 para guys including well geared monk and I did a lot more killing than dying with dps gear.

Lightning armor and hydra are quite OP for dueling and mirror image is a must. I thought mocking demise rune would be better but like someone mentioned earlier, the 5 image one seems better. Unstable anomoly or w/e its called, thatpassive is good. Teleport I would say wormhole or don't even bother because you're fighting against other people, not monsters, hence they catch up to you very fast especially monks. Even wormhole doesn't seem like a fast enough run away skill at times.
Reply Quote
Wiz is actually pretty good for dueling. Barb seems to not do so well. I played with many 100 para guys including well geared monk and I did a lot more killing than dying with dps gear.

Lightning armor and hydra are quite OP for dueling and mirror image is a must. I thought mocking demise rune would be better but like someone mentioned earlier, the 5 image one seems better. Unstable anomoly or w/e its called, thatpassive is good. Teleport I would say wormhole or don't even bother because you're fighting against other people, not monsters, hence they catch up to you very fast especially monks. Even wormhole doesn't seem like a fast enough run away skill at times.

Wormhole is bugged you can only cast it 4 successive times the 5th fails.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]