Diablo® III

Remove NV from existance

some people are advocating to have NV last from game to game as long as you haven't logged out.

I'd be fine with NV as it is if they'd just open up the acts and waypoints so that you can hop from one to the other with out creating new games. that way the time it takes to get the NV is worth while and you can farm longer with out resetting.

i don't think they ever plan on making D3 open world though. sadly, its always going to stay just one act per game. :-(
Reply Quote
Bach in the earlier days of Diablo 3 everyone wanted a say where you would be rewarded for playing a run through with no skill swapping. And NV was the result.

If this was the case this is a bad form of doing it. Check this idea.

Imagine if Nephalem Valor was no longer an ability for elite packs. Instead it gave you stacks of NV when you killed quest bosses, proper bosses.

This would make the bosses substantially more attractive to kill, and for each stack the next boss would drop even more. This would make it attractive to run acts.

There is a distinct nothingness when you kill bosses in the current D3, they used to drop very well in earlier Diablos. This would help build gradually increasing drops for these bosses, as the reward for playing a longer game. It would not reset between acts,

Keywardens require at least 1 stack before they drop their keys.

Stuff like that, i just feel this NV valor is a hassle big time, its kinda cool in a way, but we dont really need it and it requires your attention.
Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 1/9/2013 10:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 09:53 AMPosted by Scytheblade
What about instead of losing all 5 stacks of NV when you change skills.. how about you lose a stack each time oy uchange skills?

This one is also a pretty solid idea, another alternative.

But in the end, i just wonder why it must be there at all?

I'd be fine with NV as it is if they'd just open up the acts and waypoints so that you can hop from one to the other with out creating new games. that way the time it takes to get the NV is worth while and you can farm longer with out resetting.

It is correct, but it is only damage reduction as you seem to neutralize the influence of NV. You really dont want it in the first place. You are bound, and your path is forged by its very presence, for you plan your farm to optimize that, do you not? It is known as chains that bind you, control you and suppress you. This is the realm of imagination, the realm of the free.
Edited by Nocturnal#2168 on 1/9/2013 10:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I fully agree with you Nocturnal. Paragon as it stands pretty much makes NV irrelevant.

Without it people would dynamically make usage of the skill system and maybe, just maybe, classes such as BARBS wouldn't be 100% double nado 100% of the time.

Would open up, as they say, "diversity".
Reply Quote
The first thing, punishment for changing skills is PRECISELY why it's there in the first place.

Second: punishment for doing short runs is PRECISELY why it's there in the second place.

You obviously weren't playing the game when Nephalem valor was released.
Reply Quote
The first thing, punishment for changing skills is PRECISELY why it's there in the first place.

Second: punishment for doing short runs is PRECISELY why it's there in the second place.

When you were taking a break i was still copypasting my password.
Reply Quote

When you were taking a break i was still copypasting my password.

Then you just don't pay attention.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't care if I could cross acts with my NV. We all know A3 is the best Act to farm. Just after clearing A3 it would be nice to hit up other acts. This would have especially been useful when Infernal Machines first came out. Hit all 3 Wardens in the same game. Now...I'll accept my crap hellfire ring because...the event is boring. Can't salvage a ring for ONE organ.

Also NV is kind of lame because of the timer and the loss of all stacks when you change skills. At the same time there aren't many useful skills to choose from. So I guess the skill loss is a double edged sword.

In the end I miss farming with good magic find at the start. Perma buff @ 60 would be nice. That...like wanting info on what's to come is wishful thinking.
Reply Quote
if you dont like NV just ignore it. change skills whenever u want and play short sessions.
Reply Quote
Yeah, definitely disagree with OP. NV is one of the better changes made. I'd say if they were to change it, it should be either that it persists until logoff, or that the bonus continues to grow for every elite you kill past 5. A value between 1-5% sounds good.
Reply Quote
What a fail thread, leave the NV stacks alone. It only takes 3-5mins to get them. L2P and stop QQ OP

-1/10

edit: in fact, just give us 5NV stacks more
Edited by ZaPLaS#1243 on 1/9/2013 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 06:19 AMPosted by CardinalMDM
Players are encouraged to use the dynamic skill system of Diablo 3, and they are no longer punished for playing around with any builds or alteration of skills they think of while farming. Right now, i think many players are almost scared of changing a skill to break their efficiency, and because of that they will keep playing the cookie cutter over and over again.

Here's where you lose me. I was really listening up to about here...

Yes, you're right, players are encouraged to use the dynamic skill system of Diablo 3 to experiment and try new things and see what works best for THEM. However, here's the thing...

By the time you hit level 60, you've done two things...1) you've become familiar with the game's story arc, quest line and beginning to end flow. So you have a pretty good idea of what dangers you'll face, what bosses can do, and what problems your skill build needs to accommodate. 2) You've unlocked access to all the skills and runes your class is going to have available, and thus, you should also have a good idea of what works with what.

Not saying that ALL your experimenting will happen ONLY between levels 1-60, and Paragon leveling 1-100 will involve the same nine skill choices, absolutely not, there will surely be changes a player wants to make after they hit Skill Level 60 (as I call it). However, in order to keep ANY semblance of commitment to a particular build, the NV system is perfect.

Diablo 2 FORCED you to stick with your skill point choices, and total through a character's journey, they have a maximum of three chances to respec their points, and that's IF they make it to Hell difficulty. If they're having major trouble with Normal, they get one chance, and if that doesn't fix things, they gotta start over. Diablo 3 lets people choose whatever skills they want whenever they want, and like you said, it limits people during a run...but...why can't people just wait till the run is over? I do it all the time.

I send a character out to grind or farm or both, I get my five stacks, and when I'm done with the game I'm in, I start a new one, change my skills around and see how it works. If it's really a problem, I sacrifice only a stack or two.

Basically, aside from side quest things like Key Farming, that REQUIRE five stacks, this system should be seen simply as a bonus. You're TEMPORARILY giving up your freedom to switch out skills for optimal encounters and moments for additional MF, GF and XP. Different skills are definitely better suited for different situations, and giving up that freedom and sticking to one play style temporarily should offer you a bonus, as it may end up making battle slightly harder especially, like you said, if you discover a change you'd like to make to your build mid-skirmish.

TLDR: The Nephalem Valor system is NOT NOT NOT trying to say to players "don't switch skills! look how much better it is NOT switching your skills." It's trying to say, "you're making the game harder for yourself by not switching your skills every eight steps, here's a bonus."
This guy has it right and the only thing I would like to see added is at 5 stacks bosses have a higher drop chance for good items then elite packs so that fighting bosses are worthwhile. Also allow MF to effect vases, chest and racks. Oh and make set elites as good as normal packs... want a reason for clearing acts and working through the story encounters again.
Reply Quote
View profile
You do realize what you would be losing for the removal of NV. 75% added to GF and MF. Also an experience boost to paragon leveling. So I would really think twice before asking for it's removal
Reply Quote
I'll trade you NV for permanent character choices.
Deal?
Reply Quote
vote. Is the OP a troll or an idiot. I vote idiot
Reply Quote
It benefits nobody, only some believe it does because they do not see that it is in fact a nerf to quick games and skill changes.

There is no reason to punish me for changing my skills if i so desire. If i do it in combat it will take me a full 30 seconds before i can use it. If i try to tp it will take a while because i need to avoid getting hit. Hardly abuseable for farming efficiency or other advantages if we have to be realistic. Also, you cannot swap until cooldown is up, so what are you gonna abuse exactly? Progression? People do it anyway because they need the progression not the loot.

It does not change the issue that there is no need to slap players for playing around with skills. It would appear to be counterintuitive to this new skill system.

You contradict yourself here. You say it benefits nobody yet you say you get punished for switching skills, which would imply that you think it's a benefit. If you really don't think it's a benefit then go ahead and switch skills and do your short runs, nothing is stopping you from doing that already.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]