Diablo® III

If you've played more than 10 hours...

There is no reason to complain

Most games today are over 50$ and offer about 10 hours of gameplay or less.

I've racked over 400 hours of gameplay. That's about 15 cents an hour of entertainment, you cannot find this anywhere else (ie: movies)
Reply Quote
agreed
Reply Quote
View profile
The OP is making a valid point. There is no monthy subscription to D3 (nor should there be) - and for $60... if you got more than 10-hours of play out of the game, then you're probably getting more than you do for most other non MMO games.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 11:34 AMPosted by LunarSolaris
The OP is making a valid point. There is no monthy subscription to D3 (nor should there be) - and for $60... if you got more than 10-hours of play out of the game, then you're probably getting more than you do for most other non MMO games.

Please.. spare us. Anyone can enjoy one game for 400 if it tickles their fancy. Take Skyrim for example. Also I'm sure someone loved PacMan enough to log just as many hours.
Reply Quote
I spent mroe than $60 on PacMan. I should own one of those units by now :(.
Reply Quote
You only play games for 10 hours? Have you ever played another Action game or ARPG? I understand your point, but 10 hours of gameplay is not the benchmark to say you got your money's worth in this genre.

I play a lot of JRPGs which tend to have 30-50 hours of gameplay. That doesn't mean that an unsatisfying game with 55 hours of gameplay was worth the price tag or that a good, 10-hour game was not worth the price tag. I've also watched some pretty horrible movies. I don't think they were necessarily worth the $7-12 dollars I paid to see them (especially if they were longer than the average film, in this case).
Reply Quote
I judge the worth of a game by one dollar per hour, if you but a $5.00 game and can play it for 5 hours you got your money out of it, any hours over the dollar amount is a bonus.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 11:34 AMPosted by LunarSolaris
The OP is making a valid point

No he doesn't. There's plenty of online games for free that can be played over 400 hours let alone 10...trust me on this, I've played em.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 1/9/2013 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
What about free online games?? LoL any one?
Edited by Why#1611 on 1/9/2013 11:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
You only play games for 10 hours? Have you ever played another Action game or ARPG? I understand your point, but 10 hours of gameplay is not the benchmark to say you got your money's worth in this genre.

I play a lot of JRPGs which tend to have 30-50 hours of gameplay. That doesn't mean that an unsatisfying game with 55 hours of gameplay was worth the price tag or that a good, 10-hour game was not worth the price tag. I've also watched some pretty horrible movies. I don't think they were necessarily worth the $7-12 dollars I paid to see them (especially if they were longer than the average film, in this case).

Let's be honest.. RPGs, ARPGs and JRPGs end up recycling content (ie : same monster models with different color schemes) and that's what makes role playing games playable for plenty of hours.

Take action games (uncharted series, zelda series, far cry series). You can rack up 15-20 hours per game if you're really grinding through all the little corners. I played skyrim for 80 hours and completed almost every side quest.
Edited by aqso#1557 on 1/9/2013 11:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
I undestand the point you're making but I disagree to a point.

D2 battle chest is like $20-30 at walmart. I've literally gotten 3k+ hours of entertainment out of that game over a 7 year span.

Fable 1(not the lost chapters expansion) was like $50 and I played that for about a year beating it different ways. Even beat it as a fist fighter while naked, archer, battlemage, no skills or potions to boost max health.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was $?? my parents bought it for me way back in the day. I still go through and play that to completion. Still never found all skulltullas but it is a blast.

Skyrim was $60 and quite possibly one of the best RPG I've ever played. You start at nothing and build whatever you want. I've played at least 15 different characters to level 60 on there.

I suppose all of these games have surpassed their value in dollars to me. I don't personally look at the cost of something vs the playtime I get out of it. Like my niece at Christmas she got a little princess castle but shevalues the box it came in more than the castle itself. Had my sister known she liked the box more she could've saved $150.

And so it is with D3 I paid $60 and played for a bit but the forums are usually more entertaining. I've learned the secret to playing the game and enjoying it. Don't expect to find 1 thing more valuable than the NPC will pay you for it. I find that when expect nothing and get nothing, I am not disappointed. If I find something good then that is a bonus.

Is D3 worth $60? It's all relative. Do you want the princess castle or the box it came in? Value is measured by each individual independently. It's RNG.
Reply Quote
+1

Players may leave unsatisfied but they almost always get their money's worth.
Reply Quote
1st thought:
I find that I get around 18-20 hours of gameplay from the average game.

2nd thought:
This is neither the 1st, 10th, or 20th time (possibly more) that this subject has been discussed, and on several of those times, the subject was beaten beyond recognition.

I protest your necromancy, sir.
Reply Quote
Certainly true, but even recycled content can be fun if implemented correctly. In fact, it's the developers job to make the grind fun so you WANT to do all the extra content. If you aren't counting recycled content, then D3 is only like an 8 hour game. You go through normal & everything is a repeat, STORY+ mode where all story elements are the same but everything is harder.
Reply Quote
most of us understand that time and value have a positive relationship. otherwise, you just spent a lot of time on something that wasn't giving you any sort of value (entertainment is "valuable"). it doesn't make sense for any person to do such a thing for an extended period of time. not sure why some ppl don't get this...
Reply Quote
Wrong. At launch it took longer than that to get to inferno. In most people's minds (mine included) no RPG truly begins until the end.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]