Diablo® III

If you've played more than 10 hours...

THE OP has a valid point for sure for those who were not avid players of D2

BUT:

D2 and its forerunner D were perhaps the most beloved OF ALL online games. D2 was loved the world over - at any given time of the day over 250,000 gamers were playing D2.

This is the reason for all the complaining -- peeps feel their beloved has been corrupted by Activision -- that we have been betrayed - its a highly emotional subject for D2 veterans who played and still play D2 for a decade.

Personally, for years I played D2 more then a handful of players...My Javazon ("Deerdancer" at some point on every day was within the top 5 on the West ladder for several seasons and for a few hours was number one( I do not attribute her position to any particular skill of mine, only that for a few years I was neither working or going to school and I loved D2, particulalry Hell Cows) and was able play 10-20 hours every day.)

I now play D3 but not with the passion I had for D2 with its mix of evil and hilarious characters and infinitely varied items. I play because in general I love the Diablo clickfest and like the graphics with its attention to the small details (e.g.curatins that blow and move with the wind, etc. I think the battle for Bastions keep is a magnificent piece of animated art and gameplay.) The artists and animators have done a first-rate job with D3 and its a damn shame their extraordinary talents were directed in the direction of a game that for a variety of reasons can quickly lead to boredome and frustration --"it's the itemization stupid" and the rocket speed of inflation on the gold AH.

I have now played my WD for over 1100 hours and still feel that I am still learning small ways to improve her game but because of boredom often I can now play no more than 20 minutes at a time (Play for 15-20 and then go to town and alt+tab for ten minutes to not lose Valor Levels) BUT I WILL NEVER REMOVE D3 FROM MY PC. The game is a much better game than it was on release and we can only hope that it's fun factor continues to improve.

So yeah. Most peeps who bought D3 may have got their money's- worth in terms of the hourly cost of game play but strictly measured by entertainment, pleasure, meaningful challenge and just plain fun they have lost a lot compared to D2.
Edited by hawkeye#1460 on 1/9/2013 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
There is no reason to complain

Most games today are over 50$ and offer about 10 hours of gameplay or less.

I've racked over 400 hours of gameplay. That's about 15 cents an hour of entertainment, you cannot find this anywhere else (ie: movies)

I can see your point but it seems as if the game must actually be bad if you come to the forum and justify your purchase with a post like this.
Reply Quote
I have never purchased a 50$ game and gotten less than 20 hours of gameplay out of it. Typically I'll get 40 minimum if I spend that much.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 12:30 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
OP is comparing apples to orangutans.

I think wh00pahdeedoo has managed to say in 6 words what I tried to say in a few hundred in my post above his :-)
Reply Quote
This is a terrible post, full of terrible logic.

That is all.
Reply Quote

I've racked over 400 hours of gameplay. That's about 15 cents an hour of entertainment, you cannot find this anywhere else (ie: movies)

Yea but what genres of gaming are you trying to compare?

An ARPG SHOULD offer plenty of hours of entertainment, a FPS game which is campaign driven with some multiplayer may or may not have the same hours of entertainment as it would depend on the person, but in general it would offer less.

Just because you play a game for 400 hours doesn't mean it's a good game or that you shouldn't complain. It would merely reflect on what your tastes and expectations are when it comes to gaming.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I would like to chime in, and both agree and disagree at the same time. Playing a game for a certain number of hours might make it worth the money spent on it, but spending a lot of time in a game shows a deeper investment. When a design decision that you don’t agree with is made, it would be easier to dismiss it if the game only had its monetary value for you. However, if you disagree with a change and it’s a game that you’ve sunk a lot of hours into then it can feel like worlds colliding.

Either way a complaint is feedback and it all counts. As long as people are addressing the issue and not the individuals surrounding it (i.e. players or developers) then we are happy to read it and pass it along.
Reply Quote
The OP is making a valid point. There is no monthy subscription to D3 (nor should there be) - and for $60... if you got more than 10-hours of play out of the game, then you're probably getting more than you do for most other non MMO games.

Please.. spare us. Anyone can enjoy one game for 400 if it tickles their fancy. Take Skyrim for example. Also I'm sure someone loved PacMan enough to log just as many hours.

i had a pocket pacman keychain back in grade school. definitely logged a couple hundred hours. got to the 99th level on it too

edit: also, 50 bones for 20 hours is !@#$ty, regardless of whether someone believes that is normal. to hold the name diablo, it has to be a game where hours upon hours of gameplay exist. otherwise, it's not diablo anymore
Edited by ecstaSTEVE#1250 on 1/9/2013 11:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
If calculate $/hours then free games in geogle market is king ! Cos it is free
Edited by MADTHUNDER2#3452 on 1/9/2013 11:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
The money is well spent if you enjoyed the game. I enjoyed my first play-through along with my first hundred hours, but the fun dissipated as time went on. Was it worth my money? Yes, of course.

I think everyone wants this game to be even better, and that's probably why people are still around. If I thought the game would remain the same until the XPAC, I would stop playing, leave the forum, and wait for the expansion.
Reply Quote

I do not agree with you. Here is why....

MOST games were not Diablo 3. Diablo 3 was the great and awesome sequel to the most popular loot dungeon ARPG franchise ever. Most games weren't designed to be entertaining to certain players for hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of hours. For me Diablo 1 a far simpler game than Diablo 2 was kept me entertained for hundreds of hours.

Diablo 3 was a gigantic disappointment for Diablo fans. We have every single right to complain.
Reply Quote
Quality over quantity... D3 is not the best game but I definitely spent a lot of time in it. I found it ok.. just ok.
Reply Quote
Playing more than 10 hours and you should shut up???

If you're wrongfully banned, and you have played more than 10 hours, should you keep your mouth shut when you have earned the worth of the game?

A scientist doing the same experiment (same variables, test subject) for 3 years and fail, will he succeed it by chance?

Diablo 3 is a great game, I couldn't afford the havoc engine, and neither can I write those codes from scratch. But as a big name company on a big brand franchise, this is indeed a disappointing game.
Reply Quote
I enjoyed the first play through of the story line a fair amount, and each additional time through has had diminishing enjoyment rewards. The first play through was not worth the price of admission to me. I tend to operate on a first-time-through principle; the game needs to be "worth it" after the first play-through. If that first time isn't worth it, it is far less likely to call for another try or become a lifelong passion. I still play games from 20+ years ago--screw this wussy D2 is such a long lived game stuff--because they were worth it the first time through, and every time since. No matter what Jay says, the story wasn't that great (to me) and I can not machine gun the "shut up I don't want to hear this again" button fast enough.

As a rule of thumb, I go by a $10 per movie theater visit rule. I do not think D3 has provided me with 6 movies-I-want-to-see-in-the-theater levels of enjoyment. Time played, yes. Enjoyment, ummmmmmmmmmmmm, probably not. Primarily because of the shoddy story line. Once there is no more story, or enjoyment of the same story over again, it becomes something I don't mind doing to kill time but don't necessarily enjoy material.

I wouldn't really complained because I have crossed the time played ROI threshold, but I begrudge it a little bit because I have not, and probably will not, cross the enjoyment ROI threshold.

Grimiku does make a good point, though. Once you begin investing time into a game of which you have no editorial control of the changes that get made to it, or the ability to opt out of changes... it transforms into a completely different type of investment. After you have put in a few hundred hours, the overwhelming majority of investment is a psychological expectation.... I don't know, to "have" the same investment in the future. When changes get made that effect that psychological investment, people freak the hell out.
Reply Quote
SO many people talk about no rewards in this game but this precise reward setting is what keeps all playing on and on :-D

There is no point of playing T2 if you can collect a set in few hours of gaming..
Reply Quote

Then why are you trying to complain others complaining?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]