Diablo® III

If you've played more than 10 hours...

People wanted a million billion hours worth of gameplay, "just like how they got from Diablo 2", even though the vast majority of us who played Diablo 2 were teenagers with too much free time on our hands and could invest a million billion hours into a game. After 12 years, that generation grew up into adults who probably have full time jobs, families, and responsibilities that "only allow them to invest a few hundred hours" into the game, and then complain they're not getting the same amount of hours they did with a game they played when they were a teenager.
Reply Quote
that being said, d3 did not make me a blizz fan, which truly i am sad about. because at the end of the day, they didn't impress me. in the future when there is a discussion about diablo3, i don't feel the need to chime in--even though i put in 800 hours--which i think is why most people are complaining.

like many have said before me; it's good, not great. and being that it came from blizz people didn't expect it to be great, they expected it to be epic.

you see the problem there? :D

This is something I've never understood about this forum...

800 hours? What keeps you playing for 800 hours if it isn't enjoyable?

I bought Mass Effect a few years back. I had heard it was a great game, and wanted to try it out. After 4 hours I was bored. I've never played it again. Turns out that that type of RPG just isn't fun to me.

But 800 hours?!?
Reply Quote

that 2b drop.

considering i put a minimum of 1k hours into f2p games, 800hrs for a paid one isn't all that mind-blowing.

like i said, the game is good, not great.

but, i've given up my hopes of finding that 2b drop. i've been burnt out from farming for the past few months and going to be moving onto different games.

maybe blizz will turn it around, im not saying they're a bad company, i just think they went the wrong way with d3 (mostly the auto allocation...)

800hrs for an ok game; they could've gotten another easy 2k from me if it wasn't for the auto stat/skill.
and indefinitely i would've became a long-term fan if the itemization was better.

but eh, people have different standards; to each his own.
Reply Quote
People played for 10+ hours because of the name Diablo, not because of the game. They played because they had the smallest hope that the game would suddenly turn into what it should of been, something that never happened.
Reply Quote
It's such a dumb statement. Just because you spend more than 10 hours on a game doesn't mean you can't complain about it.

If you didn't enjoy the hours you spent on it, it wasn't worth the money. The same goes for if it didn't live up to your expectations, in this case by a long shot.

I've probably spent over 100 hours, and I regret spending money on it. It should have been so much more, I probably spent 2000 hours on diablo 2.
Reply Quote
Are we running out of ways to excuse the thing wrong with the game?

If you play so many hours then you got your moneys worth so shut up about the state of the game.

If you didn't play so many hours then you should shut up because you can't possibly know enough to really "get" the game.
Reply Quote
Really? I've paid for games at half the price and even much less and have gotten anywhere from an equal amount of time in to 4 times the amount of entertainment (according to my steam profile). 8 months later there's still no PvP, itemization is broken, character development is dull, and overall incentive for me to ever beat Inferno Diablo with another character is dead. I cannot fathom doing what I just did 4x over like you did (I have about 100 hours in). Until Path of Exiles comes out I've actually sunken hundreds of hours into Civilization, Rise of Nations, GTA, and a little bit else here and there. I didn't expect that to occur after Diablo 3's release. Oh well.
Reply Quote
I agree with the general principle...but only 10 hours? Really? That's actually pretty terrible for a dollar/entertainment ratio.

Especially when you consider the way games are these days. I've put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into free games like League of Legends, SMITE, TF2(though I got it way back with the Orange box), Super Monday Night Combat, LotRO, etc.

Then I have other buy-to-play games like Guild Wars 2 that I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into. But, you say...what about non-multiplayer or mmo games? Well, i've put hundreds of hours into: Disgaea 1-4, Skyrim, The Sims 1-3, Command and Conquer series, Company of Heroes, Mount & Blade: Warband, etc.

In the end, that value of entertainment comes down to a supply/demand question. If my only option for entertainment it to pay $200 to go see a 3 hour hockey game...then sure, $5/hour of entertainment is a great deal. But when I can potentially get hundreds of hours for free, it's not really a good deal anymore.
Reply Quote
Getting your money's worth is purely subjective...OP wants to draw a line in the sand where there is no sand.
Reply Quote
a rock can give me infinite game play. costs 0$ what do u have to say about that?

and free MMOs spent more than 400 hours in those, with like 0c/per hour.

most games above 50$ today had BETTER BE DARNED GOOD... :/

and 10 hours you're kidding right? You can't even get to inferno in 10 hours on your first play through, getting there takes about 60hrs and when you get there finally and find out there's absolutely nothing different for the 4th time through and its just a few more +affix on monsters from hell then you've come to a full conclusion the game doesn't have much and get disappointed, you then go on to try a diff class to make sure it wasn't just the class that was broken out of delusional expectations from everyone including myself and rack up to 120 hours and find out it's not the class, it's just the overall game in general that's disappointing with D2 being a predecessor of expectations of things to come or expected out of D3.

Solution: Either start a new franchise, or make it freaking relatable in a player's perspective to D2.

games aren't just catered to a small group of individuals like they did 20 years ago, they're much broader now and the market is a lot bigger, if you charge 50$+ these days it better be f***ing good, back then getting those games for 50$ 20 years ago is priceless, those games were long, lengthy, and entertaining. Ever play Super Mario World on SNES? beat that game like 50 times in many different paths leading up to the last boss. Diablo 3? Beat 4x through in the same way with the same boss same route all the way through.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 1/10/2013 10:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
There is no reason to complain

Most games today are over 50$ and offer about 10 hours of gameplay or less.

I've racked over 400 hours of gameplay. That's about 15 cents an hour of entertainment, you cannot find this anywhere else (ie: movies)

Agree totally...have over 600 hours on D3 and plenty more to come I'm sure. Even if I didn't like the game anymore I'd still say I got my money's worth.
Edited by V1powered#1919 on 1/10/2013 10:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
There is no reason to complain

Most games today are over 50$ and offer about 10 hours of gameplay or less.

I've racked over 400 hours of gameplay. That's about 15 cents an hour of entertainment, you cannot find this anywhere else (ie: movies)

Most games are $5 or less on steam ($9.99 or less for GOTY's), with some of the large bundles being even cheaper. The THQ bundle offered 22 games for $1.14 each.

Even beyond steam sales, there are numerous other promotions and discounts, i.e. Humble Bundle gives you 4+ games for $1, or 7+ games for typically around $6. Examples:

1. Dead Island GOTY: $6.79, 131 hours played [would need to play D3 for 1158 hours for equivalent time value at its price point].

2. King's Bounty Platinum: $8.74, 452 hours played [would need to play D3 for 3103 hours for equivalent time value at its price point].

3. Borderlands GOTY: $7.49, 305 hours played [would need to play D3 for 2443 hours for equivalent time value at its price point].

4. Torchlight 2: $9.99, 247 hours played [would need to play D3 for 1483 hours for equivalent time value at its price point].

5. Legend of Grimrock: $0.67 (1/9 games from humble bundle 7, for $6; also available for $3.75 by itself), 145 hours played [would need to play D3 for 12,985 hours for equivalent time value at its price point].

However, time spent is not a panacea for value. If you spend 2 weeks on a cruise but 80% of it is spent quarantined in a norovirus wing with barf and poo everywhere, the fact that you spent 2 weeks on a cruise doesn't mean you got your monies worth. Games can be worth $60 if the play experience and memories created from it is worth $60. Unfortunately for many people D3 was very disappointing, and not worth the extreme price premium attached to Blizzard titles. It doesn't matter if you played 10 hours or 400 hours if at the end of it you're disappointed, frustrated, and feel exploited.

D3 changed so many things from D1 and D2 that the game was not what people expected. It was like going to an all you can eat buffet that you've been to before, but only getting bland rice for hours while being promised the prime rib is coming out soon. The dev team has to continue to work hard to add more value (and satisfaction) to the game, to deliver the prime rib we were expecting.
Reply Quote
This is something I've never understood about this forum...

I bought Mass Effect a few years back. I had heard it was a great game, and wanted to try it out. After 4 hours I was bored. I've never played it again. Turns out that that type of RPG just isn't fun to me.

But 800 hours?!?

Some hours were counted when they are afk in the game...
If not, it has to be the 30 second cooldown, 120 sec cooldown, another 10 second cooldown, etc. Those accumulate a big chunk of "spaced out" time. The actual DPS... I mean PPS ( playtime per second) is not high enough.

Needless to say, Blizz was just unexpecting that so many fans would buy their products. Price doesn't really matter at least for a title as "Diablo 3" I'm sure people would buy it if it was ever released for $250 bucks... if the game is inspiring enough, that is, of course.
Edited by MisterAjikko#1937 on 1/10/2013 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
I had a snowball fight out in the front yard. It was quite entertaining. Took about 4hrs and it cost me $0. So....
Reply Quote
As a "game" compared to others such as immersive RPGs like Elder Scrolls, JRPGs or even good old action RPGs such as Red Dead Redemption ect, its a AAA title and king of the crowd.

However, thats understood and has never really been the issue. D3 is compared to other similar games which have deeper gameplay and more variety which is absent in D3 (especially D2). Thats were the complaints, dissapointment and hate come from.

If they added a few key features that helped D2 thrive for 5 years and last 10 or more years, they would have had very very little hate. These features are not things that would effect the RMAH or the mainstream, they just omitted some necessities from an ARPG.

- poor chat room interface / game creation
- not being able to travel thru acts in the same game
- very dumbed down socketable options (4 gems ?!)
- making IDing items a pain

Blizzard knows people want a few of these specific things and do not want to implement them into gameplay. To add insult to injury Blizzard / blues respond with something like "we know something is wrong but, for now it stays." and for now ends up being 3-4 months, and by that time a percentage of people have given up on the game... =(

So people whinne about the price tag as one way of letting out frustration.
Edited by Fyle#1652 on 1/10/2013 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]