Diablo® III

Deleting threads that discuss deleting threads

70 Tauren Paladin
..of a negative tone.

Just curious, nothing serious. Are we only allowed to discuss things that are positive, or give off a good vibe around here? Just thinking, if CMs/mods spent a little more time reading through the constructive threads and a little less time rushing around deleting anything even slightly negative, the forums would be less overloaded with resentment and a little more of a better place to share ideas.

Y'know, the point of forums and all.

Just wondering..
Reply Quote
Making topics concerning deleted topics is against the rules.

I agree all the deleting is unneeded.. No idea why they don't simply lock more controverial topics. Of course I've never moderated such a fast moving forum so that might be why they have to delete instead of showing 5 locked topics on the frontpage.
Edited by hampster#1586 on 1/9/2013 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
Often, just because threads have a few non-constructive posts, doesn't mean the entire thread must also be non-constructive.
Reply Quote
here Posting guidelines: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3074647446#2

if your thread meets their posting guidelines then your thread will survive on forums.
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/9/2013 5:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wait, when people are referring to "thread with a negative tone", are they seriously referring to the thread suggesting that Jay Wilson should be fired? Because that's going a lot further than merely having a negative tone.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
What's the problem? If people make personal insults, ban them. If people make personal threats, ban them and report them to the appropriate authorities. If people discuss the merits/downsides of a change in direction/leadership, what of it..? It's not as if it has to happen, or is going to happen. It's a discussion forum.
Reply Quote
The particular topic... that the locked topic was quoting deserved to be deleted. It was baiting people into insulting and attacking an individual.
Reply Quote
Presumptuous to think that by being negative, it will be deleted. It is borderline begging the question with parts like this; "Are we only allowed to discuss things that are positive, or give off a good vibe around here?"

You are already presuming the conclusion that people are not allowed to post things that are negative. If a thread follows the rules, even it is negative or criticizes Diablo III, it will be fine.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
If you've spent as much time as I have on these forums, you wouldn't be suggesting such a thing, dear Nilrem. So many times, I've tabbed threads that I think are interesting/engaging. 95 times out of 100, if they're even slightly negative in tone, they're gone within the hour/day at the latest. Not buried, just straight out deleted. It's kinda strange.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/09/2013 05:50 PMPosted by Xoh
What's the problem? If people make personal insults, ban them. If people make personal threats, ban them and report them to the appropriate authorities. If people discuss the merits/downsides of a change in direction/leadership, what of it..? It's not as if it has to happen, or is going to happen. It's a discussion forum.

You say, 'what of it' as if YOU own this forum. YOu seem to have a complex.

I hope for your sake,you aren't suggesting that, because that would be THE height of arrogance and narcissism.

The Forum Codes of conduct are VERy clear about what's not allowed, so whats your beef, not up on reading rules , as if you had, you would not be asking your strange question.

THe rules make it very clear about just what you are referring to. Read them again if you doubt that.

cu
caJAI
Edited by cajunctionAI#1755 on 1/9/2013 5:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
E.g threads which discuss the aspects of certain games vs D3. How is this not constructive? If a thread's outright advertising another game at D3s expense, of course it should be deleted. But I fail to see how a thread comparing attributes of DIABLO 3 should be deleted in D3s GENERAL FORUMS over a thread discussing your favorite kittens in D3's general forums.
Reply Quote
I posted about a player that was a scammer. Deleted. Thou shalt not call out players on the forum. I posted a thread asking why it was deleted. And I was in trouble. Clubbed right over the head. Note to self, obey the rules.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Xoh
If you've spent as much time as I have on these forums, you wouldn't be suggesting such a thing, dear Nilrem. So many times, I've tabbed threads that I think are interesting/engaging. 95 times out of 100, if they're even slightly negative in tone, they're gone within the hour/day at the latest. Not buried, just straight out deleted. It's kinda strange.

there you go again, making assumptions. You do that too often and really hurts what little credibility you have left.

You assume that I have not been on the forums long, or sufficient enough to believe in X.

You assume that if one is part of forums long enough, they would feel the same way.

Problem here is that, I have been on the forum for actually a very long time. Longer than a good portion of the population. Secondly, by virtue of me being part of the forum for a very long time, and I do not agree with your view, it refutes your second assumption.

Care to try again to make a point?
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Kush
I posted about a player that was a scammer. Deleted. Thou shalt not call out players on the forum. I posted a thread asking why it was deleted. And I was in trouble. Clubbed right over the head. Note to self, obey the rules.

I personally hate that. Searching someone you're trading is the best thing you can do... yet D3 mods delete topics that single out scammers. They can simply lock them since they offer no discussion yet they can keep the history so people can judge if they want to trade this person for themselves.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
01/09/2013 06:00 PMPosted by Nilrem

there you go again, making assumptions. You do that too often and really hurts what little credibility you have left.

You assume that I have not been on the forums long, or sufficient enough to believe in X.

You assume that if one is part of forums long enough, they would feel the same way.

Problem here is that, I have been on the forum for actually a very long time. Longer than a good portion of the population. Secondly, by virtue of me being part of the forum for a very long time, and I do not agree with your view, it refutes your second assumption.

You're talking about credibility, on a faceless gaming discussion forum. What exactly are you trying to say? You are..?

If you cut the bs, you'll understand my point is rather simple - all too often, threads that aren't defamatory, hateful, spiteful etc are deleted, just because they contain a few posts which aren't constructive.

Prove me wrong. Not interested in semantics either.
Reply Quote
I posted a Trade thread in US.Hardcore, got deleted within a min or two.

U.S Hardcore, 0 Blues posts there.

U.S Hardcore, 0 Blues give a damn.

U.S Hardcore can only be addressed if a mob petitions it in general.

Hardcore makes and gives Blizzard profits therefore it should not be a concern/cared for; or at least spit last of anything.

Bot back to the first concern, U.S Hardcore has no trade forums, yet we can't post trades in Hardcore.

It has been petition for hardcore trade forums, Euro has a hardcore trade forum.

U.S Too busy trying to profit from RMAH 3 and circle design around it.
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Xoh
If you've spent as much time as I have on these forums, you wouldn't be suggesting such a thing, dear Nilrem.

nilrem is known on these forums and you are a nub. shut your mouth (please).
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
I'm simply curious. Do moderators have a key-word search that they use to track down and delete threads? Or do they delete threads after they read the OP? Or do they actually read through threads to ensure it's worthy of deletion?

I'm well aware of the fact that none of the mods is answerable to me, or anyone else on these forums. And I'm also well aware of the fact that this thread will be locked in a few mins and I'll receive another ban.

Ah well. Too hard to even have a regular debate without instant deletion on these boards.
Reply Quote
Your post was probably trolling.

Also, do keep in mind that these forums aren't governed by any sort of "freedom of speech". These forums are owned by Blizzard (just like the game, your characters, your items), and they can do whatever they please including deletion.

But hey, if you don't like it, please feel free to do one of the following:
1) Start up your own blog
2) Develop your own game
3) Make your own forums
Reply Quote

You're talking about credibility, on a faceless gaming discussion forum. What exactly are you trying to say? You are..?

If you cut the bs, you'll understand my point is rather simple - all too often, threads that aren't defamatory, hateful, spiteful etc are deleted, just because they contain a few posts which aren't constructive.

Prove me wrong. Not interested in semantics either.

Where did I mention credibility? You made false assumptions and I pointed out that you are wrong. If you did not want to bring up anything of the sort, than you should not have made the flawed comment on being here long enough. You have only yourself to blame.

Oh I am well aware of what point you are trying to make, but I do not agree with it at all. Hell, I think these forums are far too lenient which is why it is in such a mess.

I should point out one thing--you are the one making the claim of X, Y, and Z. It is not I who needs to prove anything. You are making glossed over, vague and generalized claims without proof. So, do not speak to me of proving you wrong when there is nothing to prove. You have yet to make any claim with actual backing to even disprove.

So, in the words of Monty Python, "Get on with it".

Edit: Misspell oops.
Edited by Nilrem#1603 on 1/9/2013 6:11 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]