Diablo® III

Deleting threads that discuss deleting threads

70 Tauren Paladin
Your post was probably trolling.

Also, do keep in mind that these forums aren't governed by any sort of "freedom of speech". These forums are owned by Blizzard (just like the game, your characters, your items), and they can do whatever they please including deletion.

But hey, if you don't like it, please feel free to do one of the following:
1) Start up your own blog
2) Develop your own game
3) Make your own forums

Of course my OP wasn't serious, just got a grin out of the last thread someone posted about threads being deleted being instantly deleted.

Of course they do what they want. Just seems pointless and restricting to their customers (ok, some of them, anyway). They're under no obligation to respond, and almost certainly won't, and the thread will be deleted in a few seconds anyway.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/09/2013 05:45 PMPosted by Xoh
Are we only allowed to discuss things that are positive, or give off a good vibe around here?

Nah. You're welcome to disagree with us. You're even welcome to do so in a way that's not particularly flattering. Just don't be a jerk about it, you know?

There's a big difference between saying "I really don't like the current direction of the game and feel this one feature has been poorly implemented" (or even "wow, I think this one thing SUCKS and could be improved if you only did [X]") and "The designers are bad people who should be fired and I hate everything Diablo III stands, so eff you!"

The first two examples are perfectly fine because they promote discussion and express ideas constructively and in a (relatively) civil manner. The third doesn't meet that criteria; it's defamatory and you can't really have a good conversation about it, so it would be a candidate for a lock or an outright deletion.

If you're looking for a list of best practices, this is what I would suggest:
  • Be civil, towards your fellow players and towards Blizzard employees. You can disagree with decisions we've made regarding the game all you want, but try not to be a punk about it. Remember that you're talking to human beings.
  • Avoid language that's harassing or defamatory (i.e. stay away from personal insults). Discuss the issue, not the people.
  • Avoid profanity. Any reasonable point or concern can be expressed successfully without using vulgar language.
  • Avoid lots of CAPS. Like Brick Tamland once said, "I don't know what we're yelling about!" and most of the time neither do the moderators.

And that's basically it. You can check out the Code of Conduct and posting guidelines for more granular information, if you're curious. (Note that creating threads specifically about moderation is super frowned upon. Ideally, if you want to talk about this kind of thing, it's best to email forum@blizzard.com. Just FYI.)
Edited by Lylirra on 1/9/2013 6:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
As critical as I am of Diablo III - and that's pretty near universally critical of it - I couldn't agree with Lylirra more.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
01/09/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Lylirra
Are we only allowed to discuss things that are positive, or give off a good vibe around here?

Nah. You're welcome to disagree with us. You're even welcome to do so in a way that's not particularly flattering. Just don't be a %*%!%@## about it, you know?

There's a big difference between saying "I really don't like the current direction of the game and feel this one feature has been poorly implemented" (or even "wow, I think this one thing SUCKS and could be improved if you only did [X]") and "The designers are bad people who should be fired and I hate everything Diablo III stands, so eff you!"

The first two examples are perfectly fine because they promote discussion and express ideas constructively and in a (relatively) civil manner. The third doesn't meet that criteria; it's defamatory and you can't really have a good conversation about it, so it would be a candidate for a lock or an outright deletion.

• Be civil, towards your fellow players and towards Blizzard employees. You can disagree with decisions we've made regarding the game all you want, but try not to be a outright jerk about it. Remember that you're talking to human beings.
  • Avoid language that's harassing or defamatory (i.e. stay away from personal insults). Discuss the issue, not the people.
  • Avoid profanity. Any reasonable point or concern can be expressed successfully without using vulgar language.
  • Avoid lots of CAPS. Like Brick Tamland once said, "I don't know what we're yelling about!" and most of the time neither do the moderators.

And that's basically it. You can check out the [url="http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct"]Code of Conduct[/url] and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3074647446#2"]posting guidelines[/url] for more granular information, if you're curious. (Note that creating threads specifically about moderation is super frowned upon. Ideally, if you want to talk about this kind of thing, it's best to email forum@blizzard.com. Just FYI.)

Oh, I completely agree with your examples. I'm more talking about less extreme incidents. Such as when people compare design choices between D3 and other gaming companies, without advertising for either. Just simple things which aren't harmful, derogatory or spiteful, but they're instantly deleted for no real reason.. Please delete this thread though, it wasn't intended to be particularly serious. My apologies for taking up your time, dear lady.
Reply Quote
I think "%*%!%@##" should now become a word.

It can be used such as, "you are being such a %*%!%@##". It can be even a modest definition such as, "being that of a negative label".

Also, Lylirra, keep up the good work :P I do love the humor in your post.

On a side note though--if wish to compare the two games, can always use the Games, Gaming and Hardware forum which already has ample threads making comparisons and discussing various other games.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386232/
Edited by Nilrem#1603 on 1/9/2013 6:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I knew one day I'd get filtered. I just didn't expect that day to be today. Serves me and my hubris right!
Reply Quote
Just don't be a %*%!%@## about it, you know?

Avoid profanity. Any reasonable point or concern can be expressed successfully without using vulgar language.

I lol'd. <3 Lylirra
Edited by Kedlize#1956 on 1/9/2013 6:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
troll more? my thread got delete where i told that i droped from chest nats handbow...next day thread got deleted ummm for what?....i have seen alot threads deleted like weeks ago where 1 guy posted how farm leoric signets..next day thhread deleted why u guys delete threads where normal peoples just post how farm more efficient? makes no sense only sense i see is you guys dont want that other peoples farmand flood ah with items...cuz u would lose profit than if peoplescan farm good items

I doubt she's trolling.

Anyways, I think most people just don't notice the sheer amount of threads that get deleted. I often track back through my posts to threads where, as far as I could see, nothing illegitimate/inflammatory was being said, where actual debates were occurring, and seeing, to my constant disappointment, that they're deleted. Some are obviously troll-bait, and rightfully deleted, but some seem to be utterly harmless, some seem to be exceptionally constructive - but down they go.

This is a thread that should be deleted, as I've said numerous times. Was just curious. Thanks anyways Lylirra
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
lol from a guy that hides behind a wow avatar. Any person with common sense could view these forums and see many anti blizzard post. The ones they delete have broken a rule or more. Sometime people say they were deleted and they were moved to the game/entertainment forum where there are plenty of poe post.

Now the op had a post giving away a poe beta account on a d3 forum and can't figure out why it gets deleted. He has been playing poe but comes here to hate and whine, Sal give it up.

? Of what are you talking? I was surprised that thread lasted for more than a minute. I'm under no delusions that that kinda thread should and will be deleted.

Thanks for your constructive input, as usual, DeadRu.

Oh and btw yes, I still play WoW, and enjoy it. What's that got to do with anything, might I ask?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/09/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Xoh
Oh, I completely agree with your examples. I'm more talking about less extreme incidents. Such as when people compare design choices between D3 and other gaming companies, without advertising for either. Just simple things which aren't harmful, derogatory or spiteful, but they're instantly deleted for no real reason.. Please delete this thread though, it wasn't intended to be particularly serious. My apologies for taking up your time, dear lady.

It's possible that some of those posts might be getting moved to other forums (i.e. the Games, Gaming, and Hardware forum). I've seen a lot of players think their post was deleted when in reality it'd just be moved.

It's also possible that a player was actioned for a different thread or post and -- due to the how severe the violation was or because they'd already been warned several times before -- their posting history was removed as a result.

It's also-also possible that our moderators made a mistake. If you should ever feel that's the case, please email forum@blizzard.com. We'll be happy to review any dispute you might have, or least provide you with some more information about why a particular action was taken.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin

It's possible that some of those posts might be getting moved to other forums (i.e. the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386232/"]Games, Gaming, and Hardware[/url] forum). I've seen a lot of players think their post was deleted when in reality it'd just be moved.

It's also possible that a player was actioned for a different thread or post and -- due to the how severe the violation was or because they'd already been warned several times before -- their posting history was removed as a result.

It's also-also possible that our moderators made a mistake. If you should ever feel that's the case, please email forum@blizzard.com. We'll be happy to review any dispute you might have, or least provide you with some more information about why a particular action was taken.

Mm, I'm referring to the "Thread Deleted" messages but understood.

Fair enough though, sorry for taking up your time. Hoping for many more interesting debates/constructive arguments/discussions on these forums in the future, maybe fewer deletions, who knows.

Thanks again for the responses, hoping you enjoy your day!
Edited by Sal#6192 on 1/9/2013 6:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
01/09/2013 06:28 PMPosted by Xoh
Thanks anyways Lylirra

You're welcome. (Just don't do it again. :P)
Reply Quote
01/09/2013 06:25 PMPosted by BumbleBee

Nah. You're welcome to disagree with us. You're even welcome to do so in a way that's not particularly flattering. Just don't be a jerk about it, you know?

• Be civil, towards your fellow players and towards Blizzard employees. You can disagree with decisions we've made regarding the game all you want, but try not to be a punk about it. Remember that you're talking to human beings.

And that's basically it. You can check out the [url="http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct"]Code of Conduct[/url] and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3074647446#2"]posting guidelines[/url] for more granular information, if you're curious. (Note that creating threads specifically about moderation is super frowned upon. Ideally, if you want to talk about this kind of thing, it's best to email forum@blizzard.com. Just FYI.)

troll more? my thread got delete where i told that i droped from chest nats handbow...next day thread got deleted ummm for what?....i have seen alot threads deleted like weeks ago where 1 guy posted how farm leoric signets..next day thhread deleted why u guys delete threads where normal peoples just post how farm more efficient? makes no sense only sense i see is you guys dont want that other peoples farmand flood ah with items...cuz u would lose profit than if peoplescan farm good items

plz troll more
Reply Quote
View profile
01/09/2013 06:20 PMPosted by Xoh

01/09/2013 06:25 PMPosted by BumbleBee

To all like the above. While the thread might have well been about what you mentioned. All it takes to get a thread locked and delete is a few trolls that come in and act like jerks. They come in and turn the thread from a discussion into a flame war between them and others in the thread.

In threads that just talk about features in other games that players think would be great here are fine. But all it takes is a small number of posters replying that basically changes the direction of the thread from what I just said. To one where those posters are trying to get D3 players to play that game.

Take the following as an example. A player loves Path of Exile, and says Blizz needs to use the itemization system they have and explain in detail how they would make it fit this game. They would do a fine job. Then a small number of players would come into the discussion and say I agree with you. But then add that everyone should go play that game. Now those replies that keep appearing in the thread and get responses maybe even the OP himself/herself. That makes the discussion one of advertising that game.

To make a long story short, it only takes a few jerks to derail a thread. I know I have had it done to me in other online games before. In fact I have had a very, very, very, few rare occasions where the company that made the game wrote me an email saying that my thread was delete because it was derail. Even though I did not write them asking why. They really liked my thread in general.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin
Fair enough, Shadow.
Reply Quote
You are hot Lylirra, Bashiok is rather fetching also.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]