Diablo® III

PTR Exploit (Blues please read)

I don't buy unid legends. I'm not stupid.
Reply Quote
As PTR is going to come or at least strongly hinted, I have to point out the extremely BIG exploit being carried out right now.

Tons of people are massing and hoarding up tons of UNID Legendaries, buying them everyday. They are waiting for PTR to hit and copy their characters over, they will then ID the UNIDs in the PTR and identify the good ones and leave the bad ones unid.

They will then scam stupid people who don't know about the exploit a few weeks after PTR closes.

PLEASE fix this before releasing the PTR....thanks for your time.

If you want to help, please like the post and request sticky. Unless you want the economy to be filled with crappy unid scams or you are one of these scammers...shruggies...sorry for trying to ruin your business

Whoever thought of it is pretty clever. However the odds are against them. They're going through all this trouble - more than likely if they buy 100 Legendaries and ID all of them, they will all be crap.
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 07:34 AMPosted by chrisloup
why? this is the risk people take to buying unids. don't buy unids. why should blizzard do anything that bypasses the ah?

I'm sorry, I agree with this guy. Blizz already provided a legitimate way to trade, with no risk other than your overpaying. If you are buying unidentified legendaries, you're gambling. Gambling comes with a certain amount of risk as a consequence. If you can't deal with the consequences, don't do it.
Reply Quote
From my experience, unid'ed items can't be sold anyways, not even in the AH. I know that when I leave a game with unid'ed items and just take a look at the AH with the sell tab, the unid'ed item is blocked out from selling.

If this is the case and does follow that same pattern of unid'ed items unable to sell, then there is no problem with an exploit that in truth would not exist.

If you mean unid'ed items through in game trading/purchasing/selling and not through the AH, well it is a gamble after-all, and a person should be wiser about their purchases.
Edited by DarkScorpion#1181 on 1/10/2013 10:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
So the PTR is temporary, isolated from the real game, only for testing, and doesn't really matter except to find bugs and exploits before the next patch release.
I don't see how this is an exploit, or really matters at all.
Don't you want the PTR players to be able to do wacky things like that anyways?

Blizz wants players to cheat other players who buy UNID's? Yeah..seems like you don't really understand whats going on.

1. People buy UNID legendarys
2. They copy their accounts over to PTR, including the UNID's.
3. They ID all the UNID's in the PTR to know if they are good or bad
4. They go back and sell the garbage items on the real realm in trade chat as UNID knowing they are garbage.
Reply Quote
Look at this all self found today in mp 7 (3-4 hours of play):)

http://i45.tinypic.com/2gwgg9g.jpg
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 1/10/2013 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think the easiest way to make this fix work would be to disable the ability to identify items in the PTR? And if any changes are made to item drops then they could make all "item Drops" Drop already ID'd. (don't think that would take much effort)

But it is a good point... and was a problem already.
Reply Quote
excuse my ignorance, but what is PTR?
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Dubey
excuse my ignorance, but what is PTR?

Public test realm Its where they test upcoming patches and anyone who plays atm can go over and test out the patch
Edited by Warro#1905 on 1/10/2013 10:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Wan't this already fixed in the last ptr, I was pretty certain that unid items where not copied.
Reply Quote
I also think Blizzard should do something to prevent this.
Reply Quote
I believe this was fixed in a previous release.

I'm not overly worried regardless, they are gambling and in fact they are smart to do this. Kudos to whoever thought of this.
Reply Quote
Well, it sounds believable to me. But looking at the prices they are buying in (if you look at their threads), they will find it difficult to resell after PTR. I mean these are 'rich' buyers who got cash to buy. I dont think anyone is crazy enough to buy unids above these prices. I mean its not a profitable thing to do even for a scammer.
Reply Quote
Excellent catch
Reply Quote
01/10/2013 11:19 AMPosted by hell2kane
Well, it sounds believable to me. But looking at the prices they are buying in (if you look at their threads), they will find it difficult to resell after PTR. I mean these are 'rich' buyers who got cash to buy. I dont think anyone is crazy enough to buy unids above these prices. I mean its not a profitable thing to do even for a scammer.

Even if reselling the unid one at same or lower price then they bought em, the profit comes from cherry picking the good one out of the pack, and selling em on AH or whatever other mean they use.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]