Diablo® III

No Perma freeze nerf, should I go Weatherman?

Thinking about selling off all my gear and pressing reset. Few things I suppose I could keep...

Was hesitant to go Weatherman in fear of nerfs, but apparently perma-freezing isn't an issue to Blizzard.

I might wait for the official notes before I pull the trigger though...

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
View profile
ptr only been out for 1 day, forecast is still cloudy but there is a chance of sunshine :)

tbh if u havent invested in it yet wait slash make upgrades that wouldnt completely derail ur archon setup
ie instead of ur very nice int/vit/armor belt, u could get an ar/armor belt
ud lose some dps, gain mitigation, would still be able to archon and would be more ready to become a cm wiz

or like u said wait until 1.07 is out just to be safe
Edited by SteelPhantom#1820 on 1/16/2013 11:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
What's your reason for switching?

Just changing up specs? I think you could do that by just switching a few pieces and hitting 2.3 or 2.5 APS and be very very effective as CM.
Reply Quote
I agree with Junger. You can make the jump to 2.51aps breakpoint with a 1.63+aps Chant's Wand+9%IAS Chant's Force (with APoC). Or you can make the 2.73aps breakpoint with a 1.78+aps Chant's Wand. So really if you only change two pieces you could instantly have access to CM/WW SNS wizard, since you already have decent defensive stats (albeit probably not at the more ideal 5k armor/800 ar). At the most I'd consider doing both, as that a.) protects you from a future nerf and b.) it's more fun to have different builds to play.
Reply Quote
View profile
^loh? at his mitigation he'd get wrecked first reflect pact if all he did was make breakpoint with no loh.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 1/16/2013 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
He'd probably only need to change his amulet to get some more LOH. BT would be right up his alley, but would be a DPS loss.

Or pray to the D3 gods and craft a baller trifecta LOH amulet in 1.07.

I don't think he even needs a Chant's set to be effective. Hitting just 2.3APS with that sword/triumv would melt stuff at most MP's.
Reply Quote
View profile
well it all depends on his goals for wiz, mp lvls is he gonna use energy armor, etc whats his budget, how much time he wants to spend as a weatherman wiz, etc
Reply Quote
@Aimless: Ah, my bad you're right. Definitely more LoH needed. I misread and thought Saythe had higher LoH (rather only has it on his Unity ring). Fortunately, that's still not that bad and doable if Saythe decides to use a lot of his Archon gear.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I agree with Aimless. I'd need a little more resist all and definitely LOH, without it I'd be screwed. I'd likely get a BT Ammy with big LOH.
Reply Quote
What's your reason for switching?

Just changing up specs? I think you could do that by just switching a few pieces and hitting 2.3 or 2.5 APS and be very very effective as CM.

Just changing up specs. Ideally I'd like to have the ability to play both only swapping a few pieces of gear.
Reply Quote
why would it get nerfed

seriously
Reply Quote
Why? Because deep down I don't think Blizzard intended that the game be made trivial by permanently freezing. However it seems to be the only real viable option as far as DPS output and survival to farm MP 10, so I'm slightly wanting to give in...
Reply Quote
View profile
well they havent buffed anything to create any new builds that will work in high mps so weatherman builds could make it to 1.07 untouched
Reply Quote

Just changing up specs. Ideally I'd like to have the ability to play both only swapping a few pieces of gear.

I think a better way to go about this is to post a gear check thread. State what your goal is as CM, e.g. to be able to farm MP7 comfortably, or to stutter lock MP10 ubers, or whatever and what your budget is.

That way, people can you specific advice on exactly what items to swap out. What will dictate your items is what goal you have as a CM wiz imo.

Just saying you want to play CM as a spec change is too vague to give you an opinion imo.
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Saythe
Why? Because deep down I don't think Blizzard intended that the game be made trivial by permanently freezing. However it seems to be the only real viable option as far as DPS output and survival to farm MP 10, so I'm slightly wanting to give in...

CM was nerfed already. I don't think it's trivializing the game when the gear requirement is pretty costly, compared to other classes. You can't run CM out of the box. I think it's part of the end-game, to be able to stomp high-end mobs with high-end gear, and this spec allows you to do just that.
Reply Quote
Well, let's turn that thread into that then. Since there's plenty of conversation already started here.

Let's say... I have a 800 million budget. What gear choices should I make? I'll throw a few items up that stand out:

Main Hand
Off-Hand
Amulet
Legs
Chest

I could always give up my Inna's and get BT Legs for some more life of hit, armor, and all resist, instead of losing out on my Tal's ammy, and get a Will with 1.79 APS. What would that bring me to?

1.4 (Current wep) --> 1.79 + 9% Force, we'll say the dropping of Inna's and using Tal's BP make the attack speed a wash. Currently I have 44% attack speed from gear. Force would bring it to 53%. How does that work out? 1.79 *1.53 = 2.7387? Or did I calculate that wrong? If correct, that would give me 36 ticks on WW.
Edited by Saythe#1826 on 1/16/2013 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Your biggest problem will be APOC. And you will need to itemize around that first before making other decisions.

You have two options, stick with your baller sword and get a APOC Triumv and use Stormcrow/Elder's Hat, or keep your baller Mempo and switch to a Chant's set.

The pros of the Stormcrow is that you can get a crit SC with LOH. The cons is that you will need to pick IAS other places.

If you go with a Chant's set, .25APS Will, 8IAS force, with your current 44% IAS from gear, you will be at 2.51APS (2.55 with Enchantress), and to hit 2.51 APS, you would just need another 14% to hit 2.74APS.

With only 800M, you're gonna have to lose damage for IAS, LOH, and mitigation. Lose the Inna's imo and get BT legs/amulet. Those should cover your LOH, but you will lose DPS. Your zuni chest/ring is a lot of DPS and EHP, keep them imo.

So if you get a Chants Will (.25APS), APOC Force (8IAS), and BT Legs/Armor you should be at 2.51APS (33 ticks) and cover your APOC and LOH needs.
Reply Quote
Seems legit.

How big is the difference in gameplay between 2.51 and 2.74?
Edited by Saythe#1826 on 1/16/2013 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Seems legit.

How big is the difference in gameplay between 2.51 and 2.74?

A world of difference. It really is. Once you've played 2.73AS, going back to 2.51 is so slow.

And stop trying to make "weatherman" a thing. It's not a thing. In fact, I feel embarrassed saying it.....
Reply Quote
1) get LS on your 1.65 wand -- even at lower DPS ($) -- MUST
2) get APOC source ($) -- MUST
3) get a decent Tals chest ($$) -- MUST

4) get a BT ammy with iAS ($$$) >> alternate, Tals w/ CC ($$)
5) get innas pants w/ VIT ($) >> or BT pants w/ AR ($$)
6) get AR ice climbers w/ 12% MS
7) get CC Tals hat ($) > no iAS, but MUCH cheaper than CC mempo
8) get Lacuni w/ AR ($$$) > alternate, AR rares w/ 6CC

AR>ARMOR
iAS>CC>CD

Anyway you slice it, it CAN be a lot of green

There are other threads with cheaper gearing advice

In doubt? Pay somebody to do the job for you (my suggestion)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]