Diablo® III

Resistance

What is a good all res to have for mid mp levels. I know that my res is too low and I want to know what I should be shooting for before I go and waste all my gold. my res is about 300. I can handle mp3 damage wise just fine but if I find a pack that has molten on it then i'm screwed cause I can't stand in it for more than 2 seconds before all my health is gone.
Reply Quote
mid MPs 600-700
high MPs above 800 (and I still die within 2 secs standing on ground effects anyway). lol
Reply Quote
550 all res, combined with decent amount of armor (4,5k at least) and good life replenish and you can survive mp 10

@up: your amount are way too high, for pre 1.05 times it was good, but now its not needed to have that amount of all ress, its a waste imo, you can have more dps and better healing from LS thanks to that.
Edited by Elladan#2929 on 1/6/2013 11:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
@paulng: imho spot on

@elladan: don't know what you are talking about surviving on mp10? I'd love to see a video example if you have it, but my personal experience is that I'd get dominated with 550 resists by any ground effects or any of the uber sets on mp10.

Maybe jco/scrapz could correct me as they have successful builds with lower resists/high armor from a shield/100k hp.
Edited by InsuranceGuy#1986 on 1/6/2013 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I agree with what Elladan said. Before changing a lot of my stuff, I had about 615 AR and 4.8k armor and was fine in mp10 with 3 LS (and 6 for RD packs).

Of course now with 600 AR and 6k armor I can pretty much stand in stuff, its such a nice feeling not getting 2 shotted by lasers :3
Reply Quote
I agree with what Elladan said. Before changing a lot of my stuff, I had about 615 AR and 4.8k armor and was fine in mp10 with 3 LS (and 6 for RD packs).

Of course now with 600 AR and 6k armor I can pretty much stand in stuff, its such a nice feeling not getting 2 shotted by lasers :3

If that is the case, the OWE must be bugged. I use phys resist, and insuranceguy uses arcane resist. At the rate my life goes down, it may be just the All Resist component of my gear being calculated, and that may be the main reason why there is such a wide range of views on resist requirements in Inferno. Don't ask me to test without OWE because dying in 0.8 sec is not going to be easy to tell compared to dying in 1.2 sec.

I get 1-shot by Belial poison at 900 resist, and 1-shot by Belial slam with 5000 Armor (at 38k life). Also tried with 5+%LS, or (2.6% LS and 700 LoH). Not forgetting Transcendance and LpSS in my build and gear (shen long's fist of legend with LS and LpSS) on top of the LS/LoH. Tried with Guardian's Path + MoE:Hard Target, 6000+ Armor, 66% evasion and still got 1-shot by Belial's slam.

Remember the OP's choice of words "stand in it for 2 secs".

Elsewhere I previously posted, a few players have replied need eHP of 1mil. To have good DPS together with that requirement, it takes a lot of gold. It is one thing to say 600AR is sufficient provided you move around (qualify the requirements), and it is another to imply that 600AR is sufficient to stand right on molten, desecrate, arcanes, when I have tried with 1000AR and still die within a few secs.

Most of us monks are weak as it is, dodge is based on luck, armor got nerfed, and resist is still not enough. Let's just admit that we need some Blizzard love in the coming patch.
Reply Quote
The most important part of EHP in higher mp levels is HP. You need enough to not get 1 shotted by stuff. Beyond that its just balancing of mitigation + sustain + dps which makes staying alive possible.

I remember when I first started doing mp10 about 3 weeks ago and I was getting 2 shotted by SK's WW and almost 1 shotted by Kulle's fireballs. I think that was with about 41k HP. Now I've got more mitigation (maybe 15-20 less AR and over 1k more armor) and more HP (a little over 5k more) which makes it much easier to stay alive. I also added like 850 LOH from 2pc BK's which so far has been enough (with the LS on my EF) even against RD. I don't have to gimp my dps, either by turning SW off or by snapshotting 6 LS, anymore.

01/06/2013 03:14 PMPosted by PaulNg
It is one thing to say 600AR is sufficient provided you move around (qualify the requirements), and it is another to imply that 600AR is sufficient to stand right on molten, desecrate, arcanes, when I have tried with 1000AR and still die within a few secs.

Earlier today when the server shutdown countdown started we had just finished stacking to do some mp10 ubers. So we decided to just do the KW. We ended up with a pack of arcane+waller Savage Beasts, a bunch of random trash mobs, the KW, and like 3 trees pulled. The only time I died was when I got walled on top of that crap the trees put down and a laser got me. I even got charged by all three of the Beasts (champs) a few times and didn't die, I was quite surprised and impressed with myself lol.

Theres a few things that could be causing the difference in opinions but I'm pretty sure I know why you're experiencing different results than Elladan and myself. Theres one BIG difference in mitigation that both him/her and I have, and you do not. Thats 12% MDR. He/she has it on boots+chest and I have it on boots+gloves. I also have 7% EDR from Litany too.
Edited by gotaplanstan#1369 on 1/6/2013 3:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
@insuranceguy

I have about 700 AR and do fine. Although as most know, I have high hp's and plenty of sustain. Standing in elemental effects isn't much of an issue, although when they start to stack I do need to reposition. I would agree that around 700 resists is adequate on MP 10 provided you have enough sustain.
Reply Quote
01/06/2013 03:33 PMPosted by gotaplanstan
Theres a few things that could be causing the difference in opinions but I'm pretty sure I know why you're experiencing different results than Elladan and myself. Theres one BIG difference in mitigation that both him/her and I have, and you do not. Thats 12% MDR. He/she has it on boots+chest and I have it on boots+gloves. I also have 7% EDR from Litany too.

Appreciate the pointers. I'll fiddle around with my gear config. Just spent 75M on the EF, so it'll be awhile before my next purchase and experiment. I used to have BT pants and boots and Litany ring. Now I'll probably get a cheap BT boots and try on with my Inna's chest.

Cheers!
Reply Quote
Nice EF man. I wish I could afford one with a socket and not lose my LS but would probably cost like 9 figures to not lose the dps XD My CD really sucks...its lower now than it was probably even way back in April...
Reply Quote

I remember when I first started doing mp10 about 3 weeks ago and I was getting 2 shotted by SK's WW and almost 1 shotted by Kulle's fireballs. I think that was with about 41k HP. Now I've got more mitigation (maybe 15-20 less AR and over 1k more armor) and more HP (a little over 5k more) which makes it much easier to stay alive. I also added like 850 LOH from 2pc BK's which so far has been enough (with the LS on my EF) even against RD. I don't have to gimp my dps, either by turning SW off or by snapshotting 6 LS, anymore.

I completely agree that adding armor will reduce the resistances you need. I think the problem is that we should be talking about EHP and not resistance or armor or hp separately.

You have about 800k EHP (based on d3progress) and LoH/LS for sustain. This is around what you need to be able to stand in crap. You could get that by getting 800 resistances and 4500 armor or 600 resistance and 6000 armor.

No offense to Elladan above, but he has like 4500 armor. I am still doubtful he has a chance at standing in ground effects on mp10 with so little mitigation. That's not to say he couldn't hand them, just he'd have to avoid instead of face tanking in the middle of it. For reference d3progress has him at 650k EHP.

@PaulNg: d3progress shows you at 350k EHP. You'll likely need to get more resistances/armor to be able to stand in stuff.

Lots of good discussion here.
Edited by InsuranceGuy#1986 on 1/7/2013 11:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
I use DW /w BS+ EF @ 2.5ls.

mp10 is a sustain fest. You need to do enough damage to out sustain damage received.

At 750 res/240k buffed - mp10 was fairly easy to survive /w beacon of ytar and hard target.

501 res /w 280k buffed- mp10, i was super glassy /w ht and even ToN. With GL + combo strike, I was able to pretty much faceroll the ubers.

400 res - left my farming belt on by accident . w/o ht + ton. Only using GL+CS+transgression @ 306k dps.. Was facing tanking madga/sk solo in a 3 man party.
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 1/7/2013 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
Also like Jco and Stan said its key to have a hefty Life Pool. No chance to get 1 or 2 shotted and you can deal with spike damage better because due to the amount of health it technically isn't considered a spike anymore. Once you begin to reach 60K+ Life and beyond the more comfortable you will get in handling multiple hits at once be it ground effects or incoming physical damage from mobs and such.

Guy also makes some solid points in that we should be talking about eHP since many variable and factors which make up 800K eHP its the best place to start. Someone might have LOH or LS others also have LpSS and Life Regen. Also as he mentioned someone may have 11K armor and 300 AR but this may also reach 800k eHP.

I remember someone posting somewhere that you should increase about 100K eHP per MP level. This is a good base to start but like I mentioned surviveability will affect this. If one player has 6LS and 900LOH he won't need 1M eHP perhaps he only need 600K eHP as to someone with 2.7LS and 200 LOH.

Even though its very expensive to reach I do believe 700:7000 while gettting beyond 200k DPS is the best case scenario only the 1% will achieve this by gear alone the rest including myself will use Hard Target or other will use OWE or whatever. But its fun talking about this and seeing what everybody else thinks of these topics.

Maybe this is how those monks with 400K unbuffed DPS can run MP8+ with only 300 AR....perhaps.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]