Diablo® III

The Diablo 2 experience: Builds

I see a lot of people who insist they're intimately familiar with Diablo 2, its ins and outs, the good and the bad, and why it doesn't compare to D3. What I don't see is a lot to back it up from most of these people. As much as many of them say that they know the game I find that many actually miss out on details that I find rather obvious from my play time.

Now this thread isn't to be a hate thread or such. It's really just a personal reflection that I thought I'd share and others are free to join in on. I just want to share my D2 experience. I'm not going to discuss technical matters. I'm going to keep it simple: I'm just going to list the character builds I can recall making throughout the life of D2. Mind you these are conservative estimates as it would be virtually impossible to know the exact numbers.

Amazon:
2 - Lightning Fury
1 - Guided arrow/strafe
1 - Guided arrow/multishot
2 - Freezing arrow/Immolation arrow (Kuko Shukaku for good measure :P)

Assassin
3 - Phoenix strike
1 - Tri-ele MA
4 - Trapassin

Barbarian
1 - Frenzy
1 - Whirlwind

Druid
1 - Elementalist
3 - Fury WW (I'll never forget my Hellslay Fury WW glass cannon. Living on the edge relying on his 50+% life steal as the cows would chop off 3/4 of his absurd life in seconds.)
1 - WB
4 - Summoner

Necromancer
3 - Revive summoner
2 - Skele+Revive summoner
1 - Skele+Golemancer
2 - Golemancer
2 - Poison nova
2 - Bone spear/spirit
1 - Curses support

Paladin
2 - Auradin
4 - Zealot
1 - Smitadin
No, I never played a hammerdin. (Haha... noobs)

Sorceress (Note: take the total number of builds listed here and divide by two. It was much easier to think of individual elemental focuses here than try to remember in what combinations I had taken for each. The vast majority of my sorcs used 2 elements.)
3 - Firewall
2 - Fireball/Meteor
1 - Blaze
2 - Hydra
1 - Enchantress
1 - Charged boltress
1 - Nova
2 - Lightning/Chain lightning
1 - Thunderstorm
1 - Frost nova
1 - Glacial spike
1 - Blizzard
5 - Frozen orb

Total count: 56 (among those that cleared through hell). I suspect the total of all characters that made it past at least normal totals well over 100. Also as a reminder, this count was very conservative since I can't remember back all those years that precisely.

I'd love to hear from some other veterans. I'm really curious what the breakdowns are. I know I personally never cared much for the D2 barbarian for example.
Reply Quote
I don't care to try to remember how many of which builds I played, but a few of my favorites:

Tiger Strike/ Marital Arts Assassin were tons of fun. I always felt like that was the way the class was meant to be played, not that traps crap.

Summoner Necromancer. :)

Chain Lightning/ Frozen Orb Sorceress. Beastly.
Reply Quote
lmao d2 was funn
Reply Quote
hands down, my es/fb sorc was the most fun for me to play. 200 fcr spamming fb all over the screen. kids accusing you of cheating because you owned whole games lol. the good old days.
i really hope that blizz never "balances" pvp. what makes it fun for the players is learning how to counter other powerful builds.
Reply Quote
I was expecting there'd be more veterans on the forums still :/ I guess my perception of D3 as a veteran is spot on.
Reply Quote
I see a lot of people who insist they're intimately familiar with Diablo 2, its ins and outs, the good and the bad, and why it doesn't compare to D3. What I don't see is a lot to back it up from most of these people. As much as many of them say that they know the game I find that many actually miss out on details that I find rather obvious from my play time.
Name virtually any D2 skill, and someone made a "build" for it. That's basically what a "build" in D2 was.

Mostly though, "builds" didn't work unless you had hacked/duped/super high-end gear and/or runeworded items. For example, Hammerdins worked, but only if you had Teleport via Enigma and lots of +skills items. Otherwise, they were horribly inefficient.
Reply Quote
Here was my popular build order.

Sorc - Blizzard/static (to do normal/nightmare rushes for my other chars)
Sorc - Enchantress (to help level my new chars and friends)
Barb - Battle Orders (this was needed for my cheap builds first few weeks of ladder)
Paladin - Hammerdin (to do hell baal runs)
Paladin - Smiter - (It was geared solely for ubers)

The rest of my chars were fun chars.
Amazon - Bowazon
Amazon - Javazon
Barb - Throw Barb
Barb - Concentrate Barb

I would make several low level duelers/pkers.
I usually owned week 1 of ladder with a lvl 18 throw barb; I would join a act1-2 game hostile everyone..and you always had takers thinking I am untwinked.

BTW I only play hardcore mode.
Reply Quote
42 Dwarf Hunter
Wow man, you played a lot of D2, you rock dude.

All I did was rush my chars to forge to get runes over and over, quad boxing lol (actually 8 (oct?) boxing when I wasn't on bnet).

There were a lot of fun builds, but I'm actually enjoying D3 more. I played through D2 a couple of weeks ago just to reminisce, and I actually hated it now that I've played D3.

That said, it was cool that you had to basically create a new char to try a new build in D2 (well before respeccing came into the game later on). I feel that with D3 all I do is change skills around in one of the 5 classes, and it takes away from it. All you really need in this game is 5 lvl 60's, there is no reason to bring up any new chars after that.

I don't know if I have the attention span to play this game for 7 years like I did D2, mainly because there are so many other games of it's kind out there now.
Edited by PitSpawn#1659 on 1/12/2013 8:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
"""Mostly though, "builds" didn't work unless you had hacked/duped/super high-end gear and/or runeworded items. For example, Hammerdins worked, but only if you had Teleport via Enigma and lots of +skills items. Otherwise, they were horribly inefficient.[/quote]"""

Your hammerdin paladin comment is completely wrong.

While I agree a non-enigma paladin couldn't compete with a enigma paladin..the non-enigma hammerdin could still solo hell baal runs in 7+ people without an enigma.
Edited by Antizerg#1272 on 1/12/2013 8:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
google Sara's Rift-a-sin then compare build diversity in diablo 2 vs diablo 3.
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 08:14 AMPosted by CyberGoat
Name virtually any D2 skill, and someone made a "build" for it. That's basically what a "build" in D2 was.

Mostly though, "builds" didn't work unless you had hacked/duped/super high-end gear and/or runeworded items. For example, Hammerdins worked, but only if you had Teleport via Enigma and lots of +skills items. Otherwise, they were horribly inefficient.
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Paladin

Utter, complete, absurd nonsense. Most builds I played worked OK with average gear, good with great gear, and amazingly with perfect gear.

Oh and I don't really consider having to throw up a temporary buff every few seconds ala D3 as 'skill variety"

Another "oh" - almost all of the builds he listed utilized more than 1 skill. Thanks for another fairly poor post!

Yet another "oh"! Lots of builds actually worked before runewords..! Amazing, right!
Edited by Sal#6192 on 1/12/2013 8:23 AM PST
Reply Quote

While I agree a non-enigma paladin couldn't compete with a enigma paladin..the non-enigma hammerdin could still solo hell baal runs in 7+ people without an enigma.
Without +skill gear? Hammers at 20 skill points + synergies... terribly inefficient and slow.

Fact is, most "builds" start like this:
1) Get 2x SoJ
2) Get Shako
etc... etc...

For all the people screaming about "diversity" of D2 "builds", they really weren't all that different, and most weren't even remotely viable without some huge gear. That's my point.
Reply Quote
So what makes ya'll stop playing?
Reply Quote

Without +skill gear? Hammers at 20 skill points + synergies... terribly inefficient and slow.

Fact is, most "builds" start like this:
1) Get 2x SoJ
2) Get Shako
etc... etc...

For all the people screaming about "diversity" of D2 "builds", they really weren't all that different, and most weren't even remotely viable without some huge gear. That's my point.

I think you might be one of the people I was referencing in my OP... :/

That's far better than D3. Good luck making a build around a skill with a 2 minute cooldown ~_~

Wow man, you played a lot of D2, you rock dude.

All I did was rush my chars to forge to get runes over and over, quad boxing lol (actually 8 (oct?) boxing when I wasn't on bnet).

There were a lot of fun builds, but I'm actually enjoying D3 more. I played through D2 a couple of weeks ago just to reminisce, and I actually hated it now that I've played D3.

That said, it was cool that you had to basically create a new char to try a new build in D2 (well before respeccing came into the game later on). I feel that with D3 all I do is change skills around in one of the 5 classes, and it takes away from it. All you really need in this game is 5 lvl 60's, there is no reason to bring up any new chars after that.

I don't know if I have the attention span to play this game for 7 years like I did D2, mainly because there are so many other games of it's kind out there now.

Wow, I'd never heard of anyone multiboxing D2. I didn't even think the idea went back that far. That's totally awesome!
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 1/12/2013 8:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
42 Dwarf Hunter

Wow, I'd never heard of anyone multiboxing D2. I didn't even think the idea went back that far. That's totally awesome!

Yeah, 8 instances ran a little slow on my laptop, but running 4 on bnet worked fine. I would just self rush the chars through the difficulty levels ("grush"ing low level chars to hell, not actually leveling them), hitting all 3 forges. Then I cubed up the runes as high as I could, one season I think I eventually got to Jah before the ladder reset and non ladder didn't allow me to cube any more :-(
Edited by PitSpawn#1659 on 1/12/2013 8:44 AM PST
Reply Quote

Now this thread isn't to be a hate thread or such. It's really just a personal reflection that I thought I'd share and others are free to join in on. I just want to share my D2 experience. I'm not going to discuss technical matters. I'm going to keep it simple: I'm just going to list the character builds I can recall making throughout the life of D2. Mind you these are conservative estimates as it would be virtually impossible to know the exact numbers.

Amazon:
2 - Lightning Fury
1 - Guided arrow/strafe
1 - Guided arrow/multishot
2 - Freezing arrow/Immolation arrow (Kuko Shukaku for good measure :P)

Assassin
3 - Phoenix strike
1 - Tri-ele MA
4 - Trapassin

Barbarian
1 - Frenzy
1 - Whirlwind

Druid
1 - Elementalist
3 - Fury WW (I'll never forget my Hellslay Fury WW glass cannon. Living on the edge relying on his 50+% life steal as the cows would chop off 3/4 of his absurd life in seconds.)
1 - WB
4 - Summoner

Necromancer
3 - Revive summoner
2 - Skele+Revive summoner
1 - Skele+Golemancer
2 - Golemancer
2 - Poison nova
2 - Bone spear/spirit
1 - Curses support

Paladin
2 - Auradin
4 - Zealot
1 - Smitadin
No, I never played a hammerdin. (Haha... noobs)

Sorceress (Note: take the total number of builds listed here and divide by two. It was much easier to think of individual elemental focuses here than try to remember in what combinations I had taken for each. The vast majority of my sorcs used 2 elements.)
3 - Firewall
2 - Fireball/Meteor
1 - Blaze
2 - Hydra
1 - Enchantress
1 - Charged boltress
1 - Nova
2 - Lightning/Chain lightning
1 - Thunderstorm
1 - Frost nova
1 - Glacial spike
1 - Blizzard
5 - Frozen orb

Total count: 56 (among those that cleared through hell). I suspect the total of all characters that made it past at least normal totals well over 100. Also as a reminder, this count was very conservative since I can't remember back all those years that precisely.

I'd love to hear from some other veterans. I'm really curious what the breakdowns are. I know I personally never cared much for the D2 barbarian for example.

Some of those builds can be consolidated into one build. Especially the necro ones. If you count all of them as one build then Wizards in d3 "Archon" has 30 different variations alone. Let alone CM.
Reply Quote
That's far better than D3. Good luck making a build around a skill with a 2 minute cooldown ~_~
WoTB begs to hear you don't have a build for it...
So does Archon.

I've also seen 2 minute WD's that use them as well.
Oh, here's a video showing MP10 Butcher death in 9 seconds doing so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpRAUgyxaU

There's 3 2 min cd skills in D3 that have builds.
Reply Quote

Some of those builds can be consolidated into one build. Especially the necro ones. If you count all of them as one build then Wizards in d3 "Archon" has 30 different variations alone. Let alone CM.

I specifically separated them out because the actual way they played was distinct even if I didn't list all the specific skills.

01/12/2013 08:45 AMPosted by CyberGoat
WoTB begs to hear you don't have a build for it...
So does Archon.

I've also seen 2 minute WD's that use them as well.
Oh, here's a video showing MP10 Butcher death in 9 seconds doing so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpRAUgyxaU

There's 3 2 min cd skills in D3 that have builds.

I didn't say they all did. Also, there are plenty of skills with lower cooldowns that simply can't be made the focus of a build. In fact I'd say most skills are inherently unsuitable to builds if only because of the limitations in gearing and the itemization. You seem to be just looking to pick a fight. You still haven't listed your character builds from D2 so I'm having a hard time deciding why you are in this thread but I'm guessing it isn't because you were a D2 vet.
Edited by steveman0#1968 on 1/12/2013 9:03 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]