Diablo® III

How to improve me?

Alright, so I have a pretty low-budget barb here (see profile - GillarSmash)

I'm trying to figure out how to, well, become better. I'm doing a pretty standard WW barb build, but I'm finding that in order to get my dps where it is I've had to sacrifice a ton of vitality. I guess I'm trying to figure out where is the best place to go from here - should I be aiming on getting weapons to hit some higher breakpoints? I think my attack speed right now is pretty darn slow.

Or perhaps I should put some money into something like inna's or lacuni's so I can attempt to speed up my farm a bit. Right now I can keep up WOTB when there's a boss around or an area with a lot of mobs (like keep depths for example), but I think only 1/4 WOTB's actually last me 2 minutes.

My budget is pretty low right now (25 mil..) but I can keep chugging away I suppose to get some more. I am able to do MP5 infernal machine, but zultan/seigebreaker is a !@#$%.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Gillars

PS - usually I run with brawler instead of superstition - that was just for inf machine
Edited by Gillars#1192 on 1/16/2013 11:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
Frankly I have no idea how you survive with 25k life...you must be way more skilled than me lol..

At any rate. I don't know all of the things you need to fix in order to get to the next level. BUT...there are some glaring holes/opportunity in your gear.

1) Neither one of your weapons holds a primary stat....staying away from vitality. (avoid dependency of vitality on weapons). Adding some strengh (around 100-125) on each would be a nice little buff for you. Strength also increases natural armor so your EHP would go up.

2) I am guessing your are doing MP 2-3 with that set up (or lower for xp) so all of that lifesteal is probably unecessary. Would have to test it to make sure but you are somewhat correct in assuming that the lower your dps the higher the LS compensation would have to be. Might be able to forego some lifesteal (maybe) from one of your weapons to get a cheaper price on raw dps.

3) IAS. Right now I see IAS on two slots (unless i'm missing something) the first major improvement i had was to have IAS on at least 4 pieces and atleast a bump of 8%. I have a bit much IAS (as i found out today) and I am excited to drop some for a mace later this evening (crosses fingers for awesome AH deal)

4) Jewelery Stat Priority - Average Damage, Prim Stat, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, IAS. Understand that the "XX-XX" damage buff on jewelery is massive. It is also one of the only places where barbs can get average damage modifiers so you should definitely try getting some.

For more intelligent information on gearing barbs go here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200300874?page=1

Good luck, barbarian brother!
Edited by Prisus#1338 on 1/16/2013 11:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Agree with most of what was posted.

IMO, you have to decide if permawrath is something you want since it requires a series of specific requirements. It can only reliably be done on alkaizer runs, ubers and specific keyfarm routes.

After deciding on what build you want to play, you have to decide what MP you want to farm. Different MP requires different dps/ehp/sustain. Taking you current set as an example. If you just boost your dps, your ehp is going to hold you back. You can have the dps to farm higher mp but without the ehp to stay alive, you will constantly get instagibbed. Alternatively, you can stack ehp and "do" higher MP but you will kill things so slowly it won't be worth doing.

If you decided you wanted to permawrath, i would change your shoulders, jewelry, bracers, weapons and flip all your gems to vit. I wouldn't have purchased that ik chest since it is the major reason your vit is so low. With your budget these changes would get you to farm mp3 alkaizer runs quickly and enough ehp to do as high as mp6 slowly.
Reply Quote
Haha I dunno about more skilled or anything, I probably just go slower ;) Thanks for the quick response

1) Neither one of your weapons holds a primary stat....staying away from vitality. (avoid dependency of vitality on weapons). Adding some strengh (around 100-125) on each would be a nice little buff for you. Strength also increases natural armor so your EHP would go up.

Good point, but adding strength to the weap makes it way more expensive. I just made a d3rawr account yesterday so I can try to play around with how much dps I can legitimately sacrifice here.

2) I am guessing your are doing MP 2-3 with that set up (or lower for xp) so all of that lifesteal is probably unecessary. Would have to test it to make sure but you are somewhat correct in assuming that the lower your dps the higher the LS compensation would have to be. Might be able to forego some lifesteal (maybe) from one of your weapons to get a cheaper price on raw dps.

Ya I think for xp runs that's probably what i do (mp 2-3). When farming for keys i do MP5. I guess I could lose LS on the mainhand and get something higher on dps

3) IAS. Right now I see IAS on two slots (unless i'm missing something) the first major improvement i had was to have IAS on at least 4 pieces and atleast a bump of 8%. I have a bit much IAS (as i found out today) and I am excited to drop some for a mace later this evening (crosses fingers for awesome AH deal)

Ya I definitely need more of this!

and point taken on the jewelry. Thanks for all the input - this is very helpful :)

-Gillars
Edited by Gillars#1192 on 1/16/2013 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ya I think for xp runs that's probably what i do (mp 2-3). When farming for keys i do MP5. I guess I could lose LS on the mainhand and get something higher on dps

In order to prevent buyers remorse I would definitely try and get some cheap weapon without lifesteal and decide whether you need it or not. I used to think that XX dps required X% of lifesteal but soon came to realize that some of that is based on how you play as well. If you kite well and can move in and out of RD packs picking up health globes you might be able to sacrifice a bit of LS. Just a thought and might be the wrong thing for you but definitely worth an experiment at least.
Reply Quote
If you decided you wanted to permawrath, i would change your shoulders, jewelry, bracers, weapons and flip all your gems to vit. I wouldn't have purchased that ik chest since it is the major reason your vit is so low. With your budget these changes would get you to farm mp3 alkaizer runs quickly and enough ehp to do as high as mp6 slowly.

Oh noooo that chest piece was expensive :( well for me at least. Ok, I suppose I could do a big gem flip to get more vit, but I am not sure that's really going to help me entirely that much. My issue isn't really dying around mp5, I just don't dish out enough to farm it efficiently. Though that would probably help with the inf machine.

Hmm.. I think the suggestion of swapping out bracers and shoulders is coming from a desire for more vit. Though lacuni bracers would be awesome probably. I guess I could need more vit if I lose some of my lifesteal... hmm.. Thus far it sounds like my priority should be jewelry and weaps I think. Unless I'm missing something?

-Gillars
Reply Quote
are you using op:ca and superstition to do mp5? if you were able to shore up your hp pool you could drop op:ca for opks for more dps.

you can continue to emphasize dps while ignoring ehp, there are many ways to build a set. I prefer a more balanced approach. If you ignore ehp, you will continue to need a defensive skill to help your survival, which is fine.

You also didnt respond to the permawrath question. IMO priority #1 for double tornado gear sets.
Reply Quote
Oops sorry pho eater - missed that that was a question.

Yes, permawrath is what I am interested in accomplishing.

You're right though - it would be cool to be able to drop ok:ca for some dps (ok:ks 10% crit would be sweet). And I mentioned it at the end of my first post, but superstition is only there cause i was doing an infernal machine run - normally it's brawler. Point taken though.

I am worried about my potential to sustain high lifesteal when I lose dps, but as you point out I could probably make up some of this via dps skills. Also, if I am able to achieve permawrath i could theoretically drop bash right?

-Gillars
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Gillars
I am worried about my potential to sustain high lifesteal when I lose dps, but as you point out I could probably make up some of this via dps skills.

I'm guessing you mean you are no longer on wrath? Unsure what you mean by sustaining lifesteal when you lose dps...
Reply Quote
I mean that if I drop dps for vitality, I will lose some life steal from the dps loss. So in a battle with 4 molten/firechains guys - while right now I can sustain all of their damage, the dps loss (and thus the lifesteal loss) might make my health slowly dwindle.

Am i making sense?

-Gillars
Reply Quote
I am worried about my potential to sustain high lifesteal when I lose dps, but as you point out I could probably make up some of this via dps skills. Also, if I am able to achieve permawrath i could theoretically drop bash right?

who says you are going to lose dps? Look at my female barb's set: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/PhatPhoEater-1370/hero/21193368

That cost 12mil. Prices have risen a bit, but can easily still be done with 20m. It's a much more balanced set and can permawrath. 24MS. Fully buffed with opks, wrath, br, she does 10% more tdps vs your current set and can permawrath. Fully buffed her ehp+dodge is almost double your current set.

To drop bash you need passive fury gen. I'm not a fan of that since I use bash:punish for the dps steroid. I don't bash white mobs, just elites x3 then refresh with 1 bash every few spins.
Reply Quote
Fascinating! This is really helpful.

It's become clear to me that I've put way too much emphasis on that passive crit damage and lifesteal for weaps. That will be a good start. Then I can add in some more vitality which will hopefully allow me to sac a little AR - so I can snag something like a lacuni's for the MS. That plus some jewelry improvements and I should be well on my way to a superior barb.

Will test this tonight when I'm home from work ;P

-Gillars
Reply Quote
please dont purchase gear without learning what's important. There are plenty of guides. Mine is less a guide and more a reference for understand why certain stats on gear are important: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593621248

I would strongly recommend using d3rawr.com/d for any upgrades. Know what your purchase is actually getting you.
Reply Quote
Again, super helpful :)

I just got d3rawr yesterday so I have been and will be messing with that to make sure the gear will work for me. It's sweet having all of these tools now! I'm not used it - if it's not obvious, I played a ton back several patches ago (before inf machine) but am just now getting back into it since I got a new motherboard and processor. This game is awesome without lag!

-Gillars
Reply Quote
Just a key point....You did say your gear was low budget, well it is cheaper to buy IAS and CC on items then IAS, CD and CC......
Reply Quote
CD is expensive so its cheaper to get CC and IAS on gear and then work towards getting all three on one piece at a time with the cost of 100mil plus per an item
Reply Quote
Good to know, thanks Grimlek :)

-Gillars
Reply Quote
So I experimented around a little bit last night with a bunch of different potential gear sets. I haven't yet replaced any of my weaps, but I'm mostly just waiting to get a feel for the AH prices at this point. It's interesting (though it makes perfect sense) that while adding a fairly cheap EF on my offhand lowers my dps, it definitely increases my tdps. Changing my mainhand out doesn't seem to do too much though. I'll keep messing around with builds when i get home today.

As of now the only change I've made was to swap out one of my rings and change the 3 strength gems in my IK chest to vitality. The result is a little more vit and a little more damage, attack speed, and crit chance. I didn't get much time to mess around with it but I can already notice a significant improvement in my performance. MP4 runs now seem really efficient.

One of the things I'm coming to terms with is that IAS is huge. I would probably run things smoother at MP3,4, and 5 with lower overall dps and higher IAS. There's an optimal balance point that is based on your dps, ias, health of the mobs, and health of the elite mobs. These will change depending on what MP you select - but regardless of the case, ias is crucial in maintaining permawrath.

Thanks again to all who have helped me thus far

-Gillars
Reply Quote
It's interesting (though it makes perfect sense) that while adding a fairly cheap EF on my offhand lowers my dps, it definitely increases my tdps. Changing my mainhand out doesn't seem to do too much though.

Im not sure what kind of MH you were looking at or if you were looking at fully buffed numbers. Its the scaling with hitting higher breakpoints when a good MH becomes more obvious.
Reply Quote
Hi Phatphoeater

I'm seeking your expertise in gearing. I'm currently do fairly well in MP3, but would like to upgrade to MP6+ with 300 mil. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]