Diablo® III

Detailed Gearing and Skill Guide [Genesis]

Sup Gen!, Welcome back!
Reply Quote
@Vance

Looks pretty good. Two things stand out for me. First is your bow. If you want to futher improve, you may want a higher damage 1 soc that also has dex. That should boost your DPS by a lot. Second thing is your DML, but it's kind of nitpicky. The AS on it is pretty low, so consider getting one with higher AS and a better damage bonus (think about picking a single target/elite killer skill). You probably don't need the damage for EA. Other than that, nothing stands out as a quick, cheap and easy upgrade. You'll have to start looking at upgrading individual pieces as you can afford them.

@Nightmare

Thank you sir!
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 1/7/2013 10:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
I added my best attempt at a strafe build. Feel free to give me some input. There may be a couple things I can tweak, or things that may be better for cheaper gear sets. It worked pretty well for me - my rate was ~65m exp/hour.
Reply Quote
awesome guide! I'm gonna find some gear for my DH now.
Reply Quote
I'm glad it was helpful!

Does anyone have any input on the strafe build I posted? It works well for me. I'm generally sticking to around 60-70m exp/hour in the runs I've done, but if there are ways to improve it, I'm all ears!
Reply Quote
I just got back into playing, and I'm having some trouble upgrading my gear. For the most part I have ended up following your "good build" item set myself before reading this thread.

However my eHP and dps is nowhere near yours. And because of how my gear is set up now I can't upgrade surv and dps with 1 piece of gear affordably.

Should I just keep farming and look to upgrade 2-3 items at a time?
Which items would you recommend I start looking for?
Reply Quote
@Pewn

The fact that your gear so closely resembles my sample build is good news! The biggest things I can see that are causing the discrepancies in DPS is largely your low bow DPS and low CC and CD, and for eHP is your low vitality.

To fix your DPS problem, I would suggest you get a high damage 1 soc manticore with dex on it. Next is with your ammy. While it has awesome dex, vit, damage and %life, it doesn't have CD or CC. Your ammy is giving you pretty good eHP which is good, but it also has HUGE potential for CC and CD. You can get up to 100% CD and 10% CC from it with perfect rolls. Your hellfire is probably the best thing to use if you're farming, but if improving your DPS and eHP is your main goal, a rare ring with CC and CD on it would be better.

For eHP, you've got so many ways to improve. You could get vit on your mempo, gloves, belt, pants all relatively cheaply, and could probably even squeeze another 50-75 vit out of your shoulders without it costing too much. Even though I have strongarms in my build, rare bracers might be a better idea if they have dex, vit, AR and CC. You'll get more eHP out of them and better DPS.

Budget may be a limiting factor, but these are the things I think you should work on. You should be more than capable of farming low MP with your gear, so just keep at it!
Reply Quote
Great guide Genesis! Followed "good build" and ended up doubling my dps and eHP, farming low MP has become MUCH easier. My question is for the high end gearing, you say to try and get sets but the price on these items with those stats are crazy! The mantis at that level alone are selling in the billions.

Basically did you just get a few big drops low MP grinding and buy it all in sets or should i start improving what I got piece by piece?
Reply Quote
Hi! I tried the strafe build, and feel that it is efficient. This build's mobility/speed is by far the one I'm most comfortable with when it comes to xp runs. I haven't used my DH for a while now and I am still working on my resource management. Swapped chakram-shuriken cloud with bola shot-bitter pill, which helped generate hatred and regain disc at the same time.
Reply Quote
Thanks, I do have an ammy with cc and cd but i was using the vit one to farm mp7 keys.

Is a higher dps single socket manticore better than the 2 socket one i have?
How high of a dps and dex should I be looking for in a single socket?

I will start looking for vit on the pieces you mentioned, I guess I just have alot of farming ahead of me.
Reply Quote
@Jack

I'm glad it helped! The high end build that I described is a substantial jump up from my "good build". I suppose it would have been more ideal to put a build that is more of a transition, and I may do that in the future.

The way I got my gear is through a combination of good drops, a lot of flipping and some credit card use. Flipping is a great way to make money if you know the market. I know (or used to know) the DH market very well, so that's what I concentrated on. Due to my limited time as an engineering student, I did end up using my CC a bit too. If you're not into that, you basically just need to put in the time grinding low MP.

Once you start getting into better gear, you'll end up upgrading piece by piece due to the prices of the items. It is important, however, that you have an idea of what you want as a target so that you can choose which items to get first and how they will work together once you finish it up. Even if you think you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy to get lost in the upgrades and end up gimping yourself in the end in a way you didn't foresee. Spend some time searching the forums for people with gear that you think you want and start doing some simulations in a build calculator.

@mooniesuzuki

Good! I'm glad to hear I didn't totally butcher the guide.

@Pewn

Ah ok, I see. As a rule of thumb, a high damage 1 soc manti will normally give you much more bang for your buck until you start getting into very expensive bows. Even at around 1100 DPS with 2 sockets and dex, a high damage 1 soc can top it EASILY. The damage is entirely dependant upon your budget. I just did a quick search and found a 1245 DPS 1 soc with 269 dex and 75% CD for 22m. THAT would be quite a good bow for you to consider. If that's too much, I also see a 1243 DPS 1 soc with 192 dex and 66% CD for 10m. The DPS will be lower, but it's also less than half the cost. If you move into the 50m range, you can get up to around 1300 DPS with dex. Do some searching and simulating to see what the best bow is for your budget.
Reply Quote
Yeah even 10M sounds like a lot to me right now. The 2 socket manti i was using was only 1M. I haven't really spent more than 2M on any piece of my gear yet ( I think the mempo cost me 2.5M being my most expensive piece) Since i started playing again, my gear was so bad i was in a get money spend money mode and haven't ever really saved any gold. I guess I just need to farm harder now and save up gold for fork out for tastier upgrades.

Thanks a bunch for your help!
Reply Quote
@People commenting about strafe

As I posted in the skills part of the thread, I will be putting in a strafe build eventually. At this point in time, I am only somewhat familiar with it. While I probably know enough to offer some advice, I'd far rather approach mastery of the subject before putting it in. I will be researching it some more though, pending available time. Class is just starting up again, so I can't promise anything in terms of timeframe.

As far as other specific build changes go, it's impossible to cover everything. While these other builds may be just as viable or even superior, I'm going to stick with the basic, tried and true builds. I appreciate the input and may offer suggestions on an individual basis, but covering everything in guides isn't feasible.

I'll try and write up a detailed Strafe guide later this week since I feel fairly acquainted with the spec at various budgets and with various runes. Only thing is my organization and writing skills in general aren't as neat and organized as yours, lol.
Reply Quote
@Pewn

Ahh ok. That's pretty good then! It only takes one good drop to change the game for you forever.

@TianZi

Thanks! I did actually find time to put together a guide for strafe. Provided your current skills are what you strafe with, it looks pretty similar to mine. The major things are the same, and the minor differences have been covered in the guide as viable alternatives. The only difference is your choice of Rain of Vengeance instead of Shuriken Cloud. I'm going to give that a test and see how it goes. If I have missed something substantial in terms of gear (besides legacy nats), let me know and I'll add it in.

I know for sure that the build works well with my level of gear, but I can't really comment on how it would work with a cheaper set. If there are any gearing changes that need to be made for cheaper builds, that would be extremely useful to know. I thought about it and couldn't really think of anything fundamentally different (apart from having lower stats overall). Perhaps that just proves that you need decent gear to make strafe work well. Thinking about it now, I did severely gimp my paper DPS by going with a cheap nats embrace and very bad hellfire. It stands to reason that if you have gear better suited to strafe as your primary set, your DPS would be much better.

Edit: Just saw your video in another thread. I will also do rakkis. I normally don't do it, but seeing how much more exp you were getting makes me think it is definitely worth doing.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 1/9/2013 10:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lovely guide.

I would like to add one thing.

At high MPs, it's often very viable to get Smokescreen (even vault) in place of the Companion. If you happen to get frozen/jailed on arcane it's a lifesaver. For a WF/Calamity user, the hatred regen is a small price to pay for the chance to escape.
Reply Quote
@Menlyn

Thank you! I appreciate the input.

I won't suggest smokescreen in softcore simply because it is quite an expensive skill (in terms of disc) and I feel that its use is very limited, particularly in the context of high MP. I will, however, agree that vault is viable if you have high hatred regen, but I'm not sure if I would choose to use it personally. I feel that in high MP you need to be beefy enough to be able to take damage like that sometimes, or at least absorb it for long enough to relocate. Apart from your specific example of being frozen on arcane or something else that sucks, the hatred regen of bat may actually be more useful for surviving. If you can keep glooming while being a spike trap factory, they should be healing you back to full health every time they go off. If you lose the hatred regen, you won't be able to pop your traps as often and will therefore end up spending more time at low health risking death. If you like playing high MPs actively (ie: kiting), then vault would probably be a better choice.

I hope you don't misinterpret this as rudeness or anything - I genuinely just want to work you through my reasoning in hopes that you can see where I'm coming from. If you see anything flawed in my argument, please point it out. I may have missed something, or may just have my head up my !@#.
Reply Quote
Hi Genesis, keep this wonderful thread going.

I have upgraded some items since your last advise. I hope you can give me some new ones. What do you think will improve my DPS the most to about 200kl without losing EHP? The obvious one will be a mempo with CC, a better DML, a better hellfire ring (Still working on it), a higher dex vile ward. If I swap my hellfire ring for my rare ring, i can hit about 179 k DPS with archery.

My build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RaveaAngel-6183/hero/12802328
Reply Quote
@RaveaAngel

I'll do my best, thanks!

Looking at your gear, I don't really see anything vital you are missing for DPS. Your CC, CD and AS all look good. I do, however, see that you are relying heavily on vit gems in your sockets. I have a couple things to say about this. Firstly, and most obviously, is that the vit on your items are too low. You noticed this and made a fix with the gems. While it works, it's not optimal. The reason for this, however, may be less obvious. Your chest, belt and pants all have AR on them and are therefore sacrificing huge amounts of vit. Don't get me wrong - AR is great for eHP.

What I would suggest you simulate are new versions of those items, this time with vit instead of AR. Change out those gems for emeralds and get new bracers that are basically the same, just with AR too. The change in gems will probably add close to 20k DPS right there, and the added vit and extra AR on your bracers should (hopefully) net you similar eHP. Be sure to simulate this though to make sure the results are desirable.

There's no denying that your hellfire is bad (I'm not one to talk), so that's clearly gimping you, but don't worry about that really. In most gameplay, you'll probably be in low MP where you'd be better off using any hellfire anyway. Other than that, just squeeze as much vit, dex, CC and CD as you can out of your gear.
Reply Quote
@RaveaAngel

I'll do my best, thanks!

Looking at your gear, I don't really see anything vital you are missing for DPS. Your CC, CD and AS all look good. I do, however, see that you are relying heavily on vit gems in your sockets. I have a couple things to say about this. Firstly, and most obviously, is that the vit on your items are too low. You noticed this and made a fix with the gems. While it works, it's not optimal. The reason for this, however, may be less obvious. Your chest, belt and pants all have AR on them and are therefore sacrificing huge amounts of vit. Don't get me wrong - AR is great for eHP.

What I would suggest you simulate are new versions of those items, this time with vit instead of AR. Change out those gems for emeralds and get new bracers that are basically the same, just with AR too. The change in gems will probably add close to 20k DPS right there, and the added vit and extra AR on your bracers should (hopefully) net you similar eHP. Be sure to simulate this though to make sure the results are desirable.

There's no denying that your hellfire is bad (I'm not one to talk), so that's clearly gimping you, but don't worry about that really. In most gameplay, you'll probably be in low MP where you'd be better off using any hellfire anyway. Other than that, just squeeze as much vit, dex, CC and CD as you can out of your gear.

Yes, the ARs that took up the slot of vitality in some of the gears is a initial mistake when i decided to go from tank build to the current one. That is also one of the reasons why i end up looking for more vitality on my bracers than AR. I am hoping to get a really good DML with high vitality to compensate for that. I would be able to swap the gems then while maintaining about 50k hp.

Thanks once again for your forever welcome constructive comments
Reply Quote
Hi Genesis this is a cool guide and well done on making it. Im sure that it will help alot of Demon Hunters out there.

I tried your strafe build just before as well, dropped all of my IAS gear and upped my hate regen to 10 per second though i still used my Dan Spite and ended up with 150k dps and 40k hp. I found that i ran out of hatred fairly easily as my attack speed was still pretty high but i got around 45-50mil xp per hr and had some good fun trying something new.

Keep up the good work :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]