Diablo® III

Skills that lie to you.

The thing I find really dumb with this game are the "Proc Coefficients". I guess I can understand the need to nerf abilities that proc stuff too often. you don't want infinite stuns, or infinite life. ok fine, but why do we keep weapon affixes like chance on stun in the game then? these stats are pure junk. Most of the affixes in this game are crap, but i want to talk about the ones that proc. Because of Proc Coefficients on skills/gear, stuff like chance on stun become even more useless. Like using eletrocute on a wizard? found an armpiece that has 5% chance to stun? Well sorry, its not 5%. At most you will be getting 1.25% chance to stun cause of the Proc Coefficients. How about passive skills that give you procs? Want to use the passive paralysis? "UP to 8% stun chance" well this skill is lying to me. Because it will NEVER EVER reach 8% proc rate. because all the lightning dmg you can do as a wizard all have really low Proc Coefficients. The highest proc rate for a wizard is shock pulse with explosive bolt/piercing orbs for a proc rate of .500. Making the stun chance 4%. Alright fine. grab some attack speed, take the fastest attacking skill and you should be ok. No, not really. the fastest attacking skill I believe is living lightning, it only has a .200 proc chance. making it a 1.6% chance to stun. Soooooooo not worth it.

I understand, I really do. we don't want god like characters that can stun lock, infinite life with life steal, infinite knockbacks. I get it. however, you think new players that come to try the game is taking the time to do all this research? Most people will look at paralysis and think they are getting a full 8% chance. Blizzard likes to trick people it seems. Google "diablo 3 paralysis". First page, all you see is "paralysis is not working". Oh it is working, you will just never get that 8% tho.
Edited by Modster#1805 on 1/11/2013 1:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I agree, this is (one of the many) reasons why D3 is such a huge letdown (for me).

Blizzard simply fails to balance their stuff. Not enough to serve us that plain and utterly boring skill system, no, some skills are just better than others because they deal more damage.

Elecrocute is an awesome example for this. It deals less overall damage than comparable skills but got the improved attack/cast speed going in it's favor, but because of that hidden stat named proc coefficient you cannot even use it for a gimmicky build, well played Blizzard...
Reply Quote
I can't believe the life steal stat is still an outright lie after all this time.
Reply Quote
I actually had my character all planned out before 15 May 2012.

What a waste of time that was.

Oh and

2. Do your research!

Diablo3 is simple to play, but very hard to master, just like Chess! No, even harder to master than Chess because Diablo3 has wonderful hidden mechanics which is not found in any game descriptions, like Skill Proc Rates, DOT tick rates for different attack speed and so on. Truly a wonderfully complex mastery piece!.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794832722#1
Edited by Wtflag#1258 on 1/11/2013 1:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
100% agreed.
Reply Quote
I dunno how things were done in D2, didnt play ARPGs like a maniac back then. But I know how things are done in Path of exile, I can pick up a calculator and calculate my dream build. No tricks, no hidden numbers. Everything is right in front of you. If a skill affix says it gives you 5%, you are getting the full 5%.

I do like D3. I have all 5 lvl 60s, I love the fluid/flasshy combat. however, i can't make a build with my favorite flashy skills no matter how hard I try. Sure whatever I use for MP0 will work, but I can't make any build I like for key hunting, MP5+.

I want to play both D3 and path of exile. however D3 has frustrated me more than it has been fun. Why should I play a frustrating game? do you not care about me jay wilson?
Reply Quote
Chance and rate are not the same thing. Sounds like you want the game dumbed down some.

Surprise, surprise.

EDIT: You can make whatever build you want, you don't HAVE to compete against other people. I don't know about you, but the harder the game is for me, the more satisfying it is.
Edited by pTTr#1911 on 1/11/2013 2:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
So OP,... how would you fix this?

Remove proc rates and certain skills/affixes go through the roof in terms of OPness.

Buff the chances of certain spells, and every affix becomes almost permanent with high proc rate spells.

Not an easy solution really.

PS. there is a place for those affixes on certain builds. Notably an acid rain WD really benefits from things like chance to stun/blind/freeze etc.

At least you can be grateful that for 95% of us, these affixes are ignored and we aren't trying to squeeze them into desired affixes on our items.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 02:02 AMPosted by Menlyn
Remove proc rates and certain skills/affixes go through the roof in terms of OPness.
This is exactly what the OP wants - "like it was in D2".

You know, the game where you could shoot stuff 3 screens away, and keep them infinitely frozen/stunned while maintaining near god-like immunity yourself!

Zzzz...

Proc coefficients have their place. The legitimate complaint concerning them is that they are hidden. They don't even show up in advanced tooltips. That right there is a total diaper load.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 02:11 AMPosted by CyberGoat
The legitimate complaint concerning them is that they are hidden. They don't even show up in advanced tooltips. That right there is a total diaper load.

I'll agree with that. But again, at this stage of the game, practically everyone knows all about proc-coefficients, where to find them and where to get far more detailed skill/character analysis than what could reasonably be shown in game. So overall topics like this come across as a bit of empty QQ'ing from a bunch of entitled brats.

Just MHO.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 02:22 AMPosted by Menlyn
I'll agree with that. But again, at this stage of the game, practically everyone knows all about proc-coefficients, where to find them and where to get far more detailed skill/character analysis than what could reasonably be shown in game. So overall topics like this come across as a bit of empty QQ'ing from a bunch of entitled brats.
I'll disagree with the average player knowledge.

I'll correct by saying this: Practically everyone that uses the forums knows all about proc-coefficients.

Go join some random public games. You'll be truly AMAZED.

My wants for proc coefficients:
1) Offensive skills should never have a "0.00" coefficient. I'm looking at you, Sweeping Winds (among others).
2) Publish proc coefficient rates in-game
3) Runes should change the proc coefficient rates (some do, some don't)
4) DoTs should have coefficients beyond the initial hit at a lower coefficient rate.
Reply Quote
It's not that hard to understand...

[Change to *Do something* on hit] * [Proc coefficient of skill]

Anyway they need to give you some numbers anyway right? Otherwise nobody would care if an item says 'Chance to Freeze on hit' until someone tests this 100 DPS 50 Dex 1.8 AS socket dagger and figures it's about 50% Freeze chance.

BUT

I do agree that Blizzard should release official data on these matters, as it's rather annoying. Maybe even a dynamic tooltip which changes when you change skills that have different proc coef's.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 02:11 AMPosted by CyberGoat
Proc coefficients have their place. The legitimate complaint concerning them is that they are hidden. They don't even show up in advanced tooltips. That right there is a total diaper load.

I agree with this. We know they're there. Just don't hide them.
Reply Quote
Oh don't get me wrong people, As I said, i understand we dont want stun lock builds and such. For those of you just nit picking at me, I have a problem with all the hidden numbers in the game. These proc.cof numbers make all things with procs really useless. Any weapon affix stat that has a proc like chance on knockback might as well be removed from the game cause you will never get the proc. Just for fun i used that goldskin with living lightning, not once for 20 mins of trying, did gold drop, not once.

ATM, I LOVE LOVE LOVE living lightning with storm armor/shocking aspect and magic weapon/electrify. Why? cause its so damn flashy and cool. Everything getting crazy electricuted. My problem is that it is really not viable at higher MP. At higher MP you are forced to have life on hit or life steal and it just does not work at all with living lightning. life steal = 0.6% for me, while I have 1200+ life on hit which = 240 life on hit. The life on hit in big groups is not so bad, still not reliable tho. So I am forced to kite. Which is fine, IMO, we did that at launch. However I am losing out on so much dps on a skill that does not do much dps to begin with and it is sometimes not fun to kite with a slow moving skill like living lightning. Slow time solves some of these problems, still losing alot of dps. With my gear atm, I have 150-180k dps. I kill much faster with my 100-120k dps monk/barb. Stuff gets insta killed with my 200k DH.
Edited by Modster#1805 on 1/11/2013 10:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 09:59 AMPosted by vexorian
Chance to stun is good on templar.

lol, right on.
Edited by Modster#1805 on 1/11/2013 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Also, I am not trying to be entitled to anything. You guys are so used to seeing so much QQ you think every post is about some form of entitlement for the OP. I believe this topic is pretty legit. Another example or how the game lies to you. wizard has only 1 skill with 2 runes where the Coefficients are 1.0. very rare that you see people use magic missle. So that means all the life on hit that your getting does not = the exact number.

Why should anyone have to go to the forums/google to find out there are hidden numbers. Why can't they include the proc chance information on the skill that your using tooltip? Yea it is not that hard to do, i did it, i am sure all the people posting here have done it. doesnt change the fact that why did you have to do it in the first place and not everyone reads the forums. like my cousin. If I don't tell him, how would he know?
Edited by Modster#1805 on 1/11/2013 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
A proc stun saved my life once in Hardcore.

Not totally useless. pewpew
Reply Quote
I agree, I would like to see the proc coefficients in game. Similiarly, I played for about a month before someone told me there was an option for advanced tool tips. I found it very odd and lazy that the game would give such vague descriptions of skills. I'm still baffled why the vague descriptions even exist to begin with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]