Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy

Tried all of the suggestions (including WoL) and I am still having some problems with spirit regen. I really liked playing the LTK with sweeping armada (some breathing room) but I am not seeing the WoL bonus "everyone" is talking about. Do I have the wrong gem in my weapon? I am at 62% cc with Scoundrel (solo) and 59% cc w/o scoundrel in group play. Should I swap out the red for a green marquis? I am at 251% cd w/wo scoundrel...should I swap out hysteria and anatomy? I am happy with the build w/o WoL, LTK and FitL, but I think I could do more (higher) MP's. My post above was at MP6. I can roll through MP8 ok solo, but I would like to hit MP8 or higher with ubers...I am game for any "in-game" advice, I will be on from 0500 to 1600 EST...please feel free to hit me up, I promise that I can hold my own! Thanks again everyone...and JCO, you are ABSOLUTELY correct, the advice and help in the forums RULES!

These stats are with the set up in my profile currently.
Edited by XxMOOSExX#1730 on 2/22/2013 10:00 PM PST
@xxMoosexx

For S/B weapon DPS matters above all, the BS is not really up for it. You need to find a weapon with a higher DPS preferably with 50+CD 1k+DPS, and of course LS/OS.

Also, if you can afford a marquise gem, you should be upgrading your chest piece instead, that gem cost could get a chest piece comparable with mine (150M) if you threw in abit more.

Also, you have waaayy to much spirit spenders to use them effectively, choose between WoL and LTK, get BoH (15% rune) instead. Your spirit is limited, and both skills do not have cooldown and limited only by spirit costs, basically you are wasting 1 skill slot as you can only do so much with your spirit.

Also swap out chant or resonance for exalted soul, that extra 1 spirit regen IS not worth the 100 spirit pool, at full I can drop 4-5 WoLs which is some massive DPS.

And please reconsider the 2 spirit generators if you cannot fit in Combination strike. You either gear away from OWE and take CS, or just drop 1 generator in favor of Serenity or Dashing Strike.

Your skills and build do not match at all, I suggest following the changes above
Great thread, I'm looking into a shield now. I used a shield a long time ago and enjoyed it, can't wait to try it again after seeing so many people show that it is a very viable build.
Edited by malaska#1925 on 2/26/2013 8:22 AM PST
I was looking for some gearing advice. I know that I need to get a shield (I placed bids on 2 that were pretty cheap, hoping to win then as one had 8cc plus dex and bit in the 100s and life%) but I'm not sure where else to go. How important is move speed on boots? I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for my current boots without spending a fortune. Also, I'm not sure if I should keep my Inna chest or try to find a rare or maybe blackthorns/tal. Unfortunately I only have around 4mil to upgrade, so I can't go crazy one a single piece. And I'm also wondering if I should try to switch to arcane resist due to the ammy I found, and a hellfire i made with arcane thats in stash, or just sacrifice that single resistance slot. Any advice on these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
02/26/2013 09:15 AMPosted by malaska
I was looking for some gearing advice. I know that I need to get a shield (I placed bids on 2 that were pretty cheap, hoping to win then as one had 8cc plus dex and bit in the 100s and life%) but I'm not sure where else to go. How important is move speed on boots? I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for my current boots without spending a fortune. Also, I'm not sure if I should keep my Inna chest or try to find a rare or maybe blackthorns/tal. Unfortunately I only have around 4mil to upgrade, so I can't go crazy one a single piece. And I'm also wondering if I should try to switch to arcane resist due to the ammy I found, and a hellfire i made with arcane thats in stash, or just sacrifice that single resistance slot. Any advice on these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Most important thing would be to get a good weapon, both the EF and your current weapon wont do.

Get as high dps as possible as you can afford, around 60+CD, LoH or LS, and 1 OS. No need stats as those would increase the price beyond what you can afford. Unlike DW, where stats are important, weapon DPS is more important in a s/b build.
So for a main hand, crit and a life steal is more important than plus dex/vit or any other stats? Just wanted to know if I could just search AH by only filling out os, cd and ls/loh and get the highest.
Thanks
So for a main hand, crit and a life steal is more important than plus dex/vit or any other stats? Just wanted to know if I could just search AH by only filling out os, cd and ls/loh and get the highest.
Thanks

Yes, because the shield should give you some good stats and good CC, you need to filter 60 CD, OS LoH or LS (i am concerned that LS may not be good enough for your DPS level), ignore stats as they inflate price greatly around 900+ DPS, get HIGHEST DPS FASTEST BLACK weapon as possible.

For example a 1000 DPS hammer with 1.2 ias cannot be compared to a 1000 DPS 1.4 sword despite the fact they have the same DPS.

For example a 1000 DPS hammer with 1.2 ias cannot be compared to a 1000 DPS 1.4 sword despite the fact they have the same DPS.

I agree. For S&B builds, it's almost imperative to get a weapon at 1.3 attack speed or above. Also if your main hand has an attack speed of 1.4 or more (with weapon IAS bonus), you should see more damage boost in your MH if you put in a Marque ruby.

The marque ruby is amazing if you also incorporate bells, or LTK in your farming build.

I agree. For S&B builds, it's almost imperative to get a weapon at 1.3 attack speed or above. Also if your main hand has an attack speed of 1.4 or more (with weapon IAS bonus), you should see more damage boost in your MH if you put in a Marque ruby.

The marque ruby is amazing if you also incorporate bells, or LTK in your farming build.

Not really, a Marquise ruby gives me a -8.5k DPS loss. CD is still the way to go if you have massive CC to take advantage of it, I have 56% CC (including the innate 5CC).

Not really, a Marquise ruby gives me a -8.5k DPS loss. CD is still the way to go if you have massive CC to take advantage of it, I have 56% CC (including the innate 5CC).

For PvE, Draco is right... ias is pretty important to get your sustain going.

For PvP, the current metagame is massive mainhand offense so slow big hitters are better in that respect.
Ideally, for a MH you'll want high DPS, CD or OS, LS and perhaps LOH. If you want to facetank, LOH on your weapon is pretty much a requirement. Balancing your s/b monk is not easy at all, just keep farming and get enough gold to either buy the gear you like, or perhaps you'll get lucky with a drop that is an upgrade.
i'd still recommend to look into LpSS a little more - my monk (EU) has NO LS and some joke LOH

and it can easily plow mp6 (dont mind the skills, just f.. around). i know many others can, but this is a budget monk with gear I spent less than 20m on (and some lucky drops, last minute bids - the helm costed me like 180k..)

it is all because of 150+ LpSS

secret is to populate the bar with spirit spenders with varying costs - big cost/med cost/low cost so you can cast emergency heal when needed (while still dealing damage). bit of spirit regen and a bit of courage (to stand and fight/generate spirit) is enough..
02/26/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Shade

Interesting, I only made that comment of marque ruby since it's a 5k dps increase for me. As for puddinghead, it might have been more for him.
i'd still recommend to look into LpSS a little more - my monk (EU) has NO LS and some joke LOH

and it can easily plow mp6 (dont mind the skills, just f.. around). i know many others can, but this is a budget monk with gear I spent less than 20m on (and some lucky drops, last minute bids - the helm costed me like 180k..)

it is all because of 150+ LpSS

secret is to populate the bar with spirit spenders with varying costs - big cost/med cost/low cost so you can cast emergency heal when needed (while still dealing damage). bit of spirit regen and a bit of courage (to stand and fight/generate spirit) is enough..

Just as a test i ran with 228+ LpSS and 18 spirit regen on mp10. Whereas, it was fun, it is by no means as efficient or sustaining as the traditional cookie cutter + bell with LoH and LS mix.
Just as a test i ran with 228+ LpSS and 18 spirit regen on mp10. Whereas, it was fun, it is by no means as efficient or sustaining as the traditional cookie cutter + bell with LoH and LS mix.

i dont have funds to compare at the top end.. i know this is a place mainly for top-end players, but mid-ranges are here to :)

issue with cookie cutter is that I hate cookie cutters and the SW in general.. and when I tried to reach 100K dps with LS weapon the price almost killed me. with lpss not only it was like 10 times cheaper but also.. surprisingly safe. safe as in 'i die like once a day'. after few days of lpss play i sold my old LS fist knowing full well i do not need it. what i really miss is the 'lpss filter for legendary jewelry' in the ah.. (that is adding it to the 'can roll anything' legs..)

btw thanks for testing, good to know it works in the mp10 too
Edited by sidtherat#2330 on 2/26/2013 11:58 AM PST
02/26/2013 11:54 AMPosted by sidtherat

i dont have funds to compare at the top end.. i know this is a place mainly for top-end players, but mid-ranges are here to :)

issue with cookie cutter is that I hate cookie cutters and the SW in general.. and when I tried to reach 100K dps with LS weapon the price almost killed me. with lpss not only it was like 10 times cheaper but also.. surprisingly safe. safe as in 'i die like once a day'. after few days of lpss play i sold my old LS fist knowing full well i do not need it. what i really miss is the 'lpss filter for legendary jewelry' in the ah.. (that is adding it to the 'can roll anything' legs..)

btw thanks for testing, good to know it works in the mp10 too

By efficient, it should be the same whether you're high tier or low tier. Everything is scaled relatively. Of course, if you consider price, you definitley pay for that efficiency.

If you're curious the skills i used and found more efficient (this is DW with 2 fists):
FoT - Thunderclap
TR - Northern Breeze
Serenity - Ascension
WoL - Empowered Wave
SW - Inner Storm
MoH - Circular Breathing
Passives: Exalted, Chant, Transcendance

Use the TR as your escape mechanism and health regen.
Edited by PuddingHead#1779 on 2/26/2013 12:08 PM PST
S&B in HC, going to read through this later, as I hope to power through to 60 soon. Was taking a break due to some latency lately, but installed Leatrix, so hoping that solves the issue and I don't die :P
Welcome to the S&B club Sin, hopefully we can convert your softcore monk to one as well.
@sinafae

Most of the information in this thread will be difficult to adapt to in HC, since you get one "oops" with NDE, then you're dead. HC you'll want as much vitality as you can get, and then get dexterity, etc...The HC AH is very sparse compared to the SC AH. And when decent gear is listed, it goes quickly.

If you wish, send me an add, I've been playing a lot more HC recently than I have done in the last 6 months. It's quite a bit easier now since the 1.04 nerfs, but is still a challenge.
Yeah, I know it will be a bit different in HC, but I figure I can adapt things and get a general feel. So far so good in HC, carrying a Denial right now. My life is very high right now, 6.1k at lvl 35, and my skill set is totally different than my SC Monk. I like the challenge of playing a different way :) More defensively, can't just hope I kill faster than the opponent kills me, I HAVE to survive.

SC Monk has carried a board a couple times, but I really like my current set up, so don't have one atm.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]