Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy

@scrapz

I do not have any specific requests, perhaps others will make some requests.

@dracolich

I doubt that I will be able to defeat REVRAC, he is extremely well geared. I'm sure we will compete, however, I am not optimistic on defeating him.
@ Dracolich

Essentially, what you're describing is the PvP Dummy metric on diablo progress.

Formula summary here:
Hero1 kills Hero2 in ehp2/dps1 seconds.
Hero2 kills Hero1 in ehp1/dps2 seconds.
If ehp2/dps1 < ehp1/dps2, then ehp2*dps2 < ehp1*dps1

One fair thing to note is that sustain is not included into the calc. Nevertheless, it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling on how the battle will be.

The focus is to find the balance where it would theoretically put you above the next guy. Whether that's achieved via DPS (eg Revrac that you mentioned) or EHP (eg. Xena the barb) is up to you.

PuddingHead
@Jco

I'd like to add having a healthy CC on your shield is, imo, a high priority. Unlike duel wielding where they can get an extra slot for CD and therefore value CC in the rest of their gear, S/B seems to be the opposite.
I can't wait to get Vrhk... err, however it is spelled on this.

I want to see some number crunching on pros and cons for sure!

I'd have picked "Tutenkharnage" as my handle if Blizzard didn't enforce a twelve-character limit :-\

Anyway, I'd be happy to help, and I think my spreadsheet, just like several well-known websites, will be aces when it comes to analysis like this. Sadly, even though I have what I consider a decent shield relative to the rest of my gear, there's no S&B configuration that allows me to outperform what I can do dual-wielding--and I mean in the total picture (sustain, EL, and EDPS), even though grabbing a shield allows me to ditch Hard Target for Overawe and move to a more offensive build.

That said, I'm sure it's highly gear-dependent, not a simple design flaw on Blizzard's part.
@vrkhyz

Thanks for joining the discussion. You input is greatly valued.

I have one for you, granted you are at over 50CC w/o neck. Using only FoT, which would produce higher DoT in a span of say 10 seconds (given that the dmg between the two ammys were the same). CC/IAS or CD/CC.

Also how much more crit strikes are landed @ 51cc vs say 56-60CC and is it enough to let go of say 9IAS.

Don't know if that makes sense or not but I'm sure you know what I mean.

edit: I can toss you 20m if you need some funds to acquire gear for testing. If more is need, I'm sure i could throw more your way
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 1/11/2013 2:48 PM PST
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
+1 for this!
@puddinghead

Good catch, missed possibly the most important stat on the shield. Thanks for the catch.
I am going to beat you all haha Kidding. I will apply a band-aid where needed lol.
01/11/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Gotcha
I am going to beat you all haha Kidding. I will apply a band-aid where needed lol.

sorry #11. lol=X
Sniff Sniff haha

I really need a dueling set of gloves don't I - haha. At least I have 24 MS and not 12 like some of you even though Monk vs monk that will probably not matter lol.

I just love S&B builds, all of them, and all of you that support the S&B build aspect of the monk character. It used to be few of us playing them with most people DW.
Edited by Gotcha#1167 on 1/11/2013 4:03 PM PST
I'd like to know your views on this set? If you roll the right affixes you can get 110AR and 5 percent IAS without taking up affix slots for it.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/hallowed-touch
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/hallowed-barrier

Hallowed Hand-
up to 350 dex
LS
up to 100 CHD
You get 2 affixes to play with. I really like chance to freeze, but that's just me. You could then get the up to 11%IAS or go for spirit regen.

Hallowed Defender-
You are already getting up to 110AR if you use the hand, but you get a native 70(max) from the shield on its own. You also get bonus block chance which is nice.
CHC of up to 8.5% (ideal I think)
You can get 15%IAS but I think I would rather have a main stat 0f 300+
9%life
and vitality
@n0rain
I like the hallowed set as a mid-tier level combination. However, in the higher tiers, a well rolled rare weapon and shield will beat this set hands down in DPS and EHP potential.
Edited by PuddingHead#1779 on 1/11/2013 4:12 PM PST
@dracolich

I doubt that I will be able to defeat REVRAC, he is extremely well geared. I'm sure we will compete, however, I am not optimistic on defeating him

One thing going for you jco, is that Demon hunters don't have shields!!! But dealing with gloom is a pain... ;<
@n0rain
I like the hallowed set as a mid-tier level combination. However, in the higher tiers, a well rolled rare weapon and shield will beat this set hands down in DPS and EHP potential.

I can definitely see that. I chose to try it in an attempt to get the maximum possible resists and not use OwE. On my theory-crafted character I can get up to 900AR without IK's set bonus. What would you suggest to get the maximum resists possible without OwE?

I use STI and Sixth Sense for my mitigation and dodge boosts(in conjunction with Hard Target of course).
Edited by n0rain#1149 on 1/11/2013 4:19 PM PST
@n0rain

I can definitely see that. I chose to try it in an attempt to get the maximum possible resists and not use OwE. On my theory-crafted character I can get up to 900AR without IK's set bonus. What would you suggest to get the maximum resists possible without OwE?

First i'd like to start of with... i feel for S/B monks with sufficient hp and armor(left subjective on purpose)...anywhere between 600-800 AR is fine. Depending on your comfort level. If resistance without OWE is your sole goal, then you can attain 960 all resistance if you hit perfect 80 on all 12 slots. Not including special items and set bonuses.
Edited by PuddingHead#1779 on 1/11/2013 4:26 PM PST
I guess it would be good to get your opinion on mid-tier monks too. What content do you think a mid-tier monk can clear? I don't have much desire to go above mp5, but that's because I don't need to prove that I can beat "end-game" content. I'm sort of a casual player that likes to delve into specifics and accomplish personal goals like playing the way I want to. If that means I farm mp2-3 opposed to 8-10 I am fine with that.

The question again.

What MP do you consider low-tier, mid-tier, and high-tier monks are capable of?
@n0rain

The problem with hallowed hand is that it's a holy weapon. And %damage modifiers cannot roll with hallowed hand. This severely limits the DPS potential.

EHP wise, this s&b can run with any rare weapon and rare shield combo. Since you will have +40 all res extra using the set and all potential ehp rolls can be available to you. So this could be awesome if you are a tanker (but again, TDM is scratched)..

The other problem is the supply, I don't think it's cost efficient to craft one.

The question again.

I would say low-tier: mp0 -3, mid 4-7, high tier 8+ , given that you can clear content without dying every other minute.
Edited by dracolich#1732 on 1/11/2013 4:38 PM PST
@n0rain

I'd not get the whole set, but Dictator used to have the most amazing Hallowed Defender, which would be as close to BiS Shield you could get.

Was it:

Hallowed Defender
+151 Dexterity
+131 Vitality
+70 Resistance to All Elements
+8% Life
+8% Chance to Block
Critical Hit Chance Increased by 8.0%
I'm excited to see the S/B community getting closer
Here's mine: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Narziss-1360/hero/30410670
I think what I really need at this point is a loh/ls weapon, but any upgrade suggestions are welcome

Heh, I see you went with a IAS/CD/LOH ammy like I did. Have you tried a CC/CD combo instead to see how it fares instead?

Here's mine.
http://d3up.com/b/250025

I'm really only running this ammy because I was lucky enough to snag it for 19m (which seemed like a good deal), whereas CC instead of IAS on a LoH ammy is significantly more expensive. Perhaps if I get a mainhand with ls/loh, then I'll try increase my CC through the amulet slot (which would seem good since I only have 41.5 CC atm, and yet 392 CD).
Edited by Narziss#1360 on 1/11/2013 4:37 PM PST
I guess it would be good to get your opinion on mid-tier monks too. What content do you think a mid-tier monk can clear? I don't have much desire to go above mp5, but that's because I don't need to prove that I can beat "end-game" content. I'm sort of a casual player that likes to delve into specifics and accomplish personal goals like playing the way I want to. If that means I farm mp2-3 opposed to 8-10 I am fine with that.

The question again.

Subjectively, I'll define this as being able to comfortably farm (not talking about efficiency) low-tier as MP 0-3, mid-tier 4-6, high-tier 7-9, end game 10.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]