Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy

@vrkhyz

Don't know if that makes sense or not but I'm sure you know what I mean.

It doesn't make sense, and I don't know what you mean. Please try again :)
JCO, how much armor do you think is too much? reason i ask is with Keen eye and hard target, plus the S&B setup i have, it buffs armor to 10,700! seems like i don't need that much armor. what do you think?
Wouldn't mind you goin over mine with a fine tooth comb. I'm pretty much happy where I am for dps/life/resists. But if you see anything that stands out that I could work on It would be welcomed.

I've been window shopping for a Nat's ring for a while now that I finally found a LoH neck, gona take a few months of saving though. Other then that I'm kind of at a point where I'm like, Uhhhhh... what's next, yaknow.
Edited by Narcolepsy#1563 on 1/12/2013 11:27 AM PST
I love this thread :D
@Fitz

well being a non-tradionally geared monk, Im sure my entire gear doesn't even close to being in the 1 billion gold range (most probably not even in the 500m gold range). And although my unbuffed DPS is only at 94k with 86K HP, i could easily go more than 100k if i change some of them. As you can see it is totally defensive (i really prefer hp and loh over dps). However since i have lots of extra hp to give up in case i want more DPS, i can easily see a set-up of inna pants (then probably go inna helm instead of mempo, as long as it has some AR for it to compensate the loss from mempo) and then a good rare DPS ammy (high ave damage, 8+% CC, 70+% CD which is not that expensive actually). Im pretty sure that will go above 100k with still sufficient HP pool to be comfortable with in high mp level. i geared up this way to free up OWE + significantly increasing survivability without the need for incredible amounts of gold (never underestimate the power of zuni boots in terms of DPS ^_^). However, in my case, i sit at a constant 140k dps with combination strike and foresight (since OWE is not needed anymore, and i don't use serenity) so im pretty much comfortable with the unbuffed paper dps of 94k. However, do note that freeing up OWE while still maintaining nats/ inna set-up WILL require billions of gold.
Edited by Kythe#1123 on 1/12/2013 12:35 PM PST
@vrkhyz

Thanks for joining the discussion. You input is greatly valued.

I have one for you, granted you are at over 50CC w/o neck. Using only FoT, which would produce higher DoT in a span of say 10 seconds (given that the dmg between the two ammys were the same). CC/IAS or CD/CC.

Also how much more crit strikes are landed @ 51cc vs say 56-60CC and is it enough to let go of say 9IAS.

Don't know if that makes sense or not but I'm sure you know what I mean.

edit: I can toss you 20m if you need some funds to acquire gear for testing. If more is need, I'm sure i could throw more your way

Okay, now that you've explained this in-game, you're asking whether gaining 8% CHC or 8% IAS is better for your Thunderclap output, assuming you already have 50% CHC.

The answer depends on your existing IAS and CHD. If your character has 50% CHC, 50% CHD, and 35% IAS, then adding 8% CHC increases TC damage by 3.2% (CHF increases from 1.25 to 1.29), but adding 8% IAS increases TC damage by nearly 6% (1.43 ÷ 1.35). If your character has 50% CHC, 200% CHD, and 35% IAS, then adding 8% CHC increases TC damage by exactly 8%, but adding 8% IAS increases TC damage by nearly 6%. If your character has 50% CHC, 200% CHD, and no IAS, however, then they're equivalent. So there's no all-encompassing answer for this comparison—it's gear-dependent.

Hope that helps.
@anhilator

Armor around 6000 without buffs is usually adequate, provided you have adequate sustain. From my experience, using MoE HT and DR-KE allows you to flat out facetank anything, although you will not be as efficient in clearing mobs and elites.

@fitz

Dropping OWE isn't mandatory for a s/b build, however, it will allow you more passive options since you can drop OWE. For group play, you can swap OWE to GL, thereby buffing your party DPS when you use BoH. Dropping OWE is typically an end-game build since AR gear can be quite expensive with the necessary supporting stats you'll want (dex, vit, life%, etc...). It's a choice you'll need to make at some point, either keeping dual resists or choosing AR and getting an extra roll on the gear.
Edited by jco310#1218 on 1/12/2013 1:28 PM PST
@fitz

That's a question you'll have to answer for yourself. For me, dropping OWE allowed me greater flexibility. I did not find that the additional few hundred resists I had prior to swapping out my dual resist gear allowed me to achieve my goals of greater DPS, life and efficiency. Without knowing your long term s/b goals, it's difficult to give you the answers you're seeking. As mentioned in my first post, you'll need to figure out how you want to play and what your goals are. For example, since I detest dying, I opted for high life, DPS and the associated sustain I get from having a deep life pool. Let me know what you want to achieve, and I'll be better able to provide specific answers.
@fitz

Unless i equip a relatively good EF (1.1k dps with cd) i actually lose dps when i DW. Primarily because i have a chunk of cc and dex tied to my shield. And ehp loss as well is very very significant. As for your question on the benefit of the extra roll from items if you drop OWE, i think the real benefit of dropping OWE is being able to use another passive instead of OWE and not any actual extra stat roll from items. Basically u gear up for non OWE usage for the benefit of possibly using combination strike or guiding light or even other useful passives like beacon of ytar or even pacifism while being able to maintain good survive level in terms of resistance.

P.S. jco's answer above is excellent. I personally share his reasoning for going the SnB route. Our path in achieving it might be different gear wise (primarily due to budget differences) but the over all idea we want in terms of the playstyle we want with our monk is basically the same
Edited by Kythe#1123 on 1/12/2013 2:07 PM PST
Nice to see a new S&B thread going on. I tend to switch back and forth with dual and S&B depending on mp lvl.

Really like S&B but finding an affordable main hand weapon with it all is a challenge but I'm sure something decent will drop one of these times.

Some great advice above and am glad to follow along and learn some ins and outs of the style
@Narc

Wouldn't mind you goin over mine with a fine tooth comb. I'm pretty much happy where I am for dps/life/resists. But if you see anything that stands out that I could work on It would be welcomed.

I've been window shopping for a Nat's ring for a while now that I finally found a LoH neck, gona take a few months of saving though. Other then that I'm kind of at a point where I'm like, Uhhhhh... what's next, yaknow.

Hey Narc I dont mind giving an analysis on your setup..

Some changes I would make is getting a better shield, for SnB a shield can be a place for tonnes of VIT. Yours is missing the life % and the Dex is kind of low. For a shield to me AR is a bonus, if you have it for the reason of the AR, I would change your inna pants to have high AR thus eliminated the need for the AR on your shield unless you can score one with the others stats with it. The extra dex on a shield will be a wash with the loss of dex on the pants.

Your Nat Ring would be next i think to change. Me personally I am not a huge Nat fan but your boots are pretty sweet so keeping them and getting a better ring makes sense.

Other then that I think you just need minor changes, like a better WH with more AR or lighting resist. an extra 20 res might sound small but multiply it by several items it adds up quick. Viles with more Vit is another small change that can be done. If you got the AR to spare, get an Inna helm with SW damage or + armor with high AR instead of the dual resist.
Edited by JRDIIORIO#1327 on 1/12/2013 2:44 PM PST
finally!!! nice thread. +1 to this thread. I've went from a 150k dps DW monk to a 200k dps skorn monk (both during my paragon leveling up days) and now into a 95k dps S&B monk and so far I am happiest with my S&B set-up. Once you get over the "dps is everything!!!" mentality, you will see how a very well balanced and well rounded monk is (well at least from my experience) much better to play with.

One advice i can give is to get a few LOH here and there whenever possible (weapon, BT pants, ammy etc etc) as it really helps on top of your MH LS when standing toe to toe with reflect or ground effect (molten, plague) mobs.

I would suggest staying away from pure white damage without a crraaap load of crit% and crit Damage. The reason why i say this is you need damage spikes to take people down, especially if they have a lot of ehp. Without it they just constant ez u with sustain.
http://us.battle.net/d3/pt/profile/serpent-1125/hero/4823527

need help what to buy next? still die on mp 5-6
View profile
@Kythe
Would you mind posting a screenshot or two of your monk? Just got to see male+female with Zuni chest for the first time a couple days ago and I love it. Curious to see it with the boots and BT pants + mempo too :p
Hello to all masters of snb monk. would appreciate it loads if anybody could gimme advise on how to further upgrade my monk. Am currently DW-ing with a 700+ dps 5%,21%, 2.8% LS wkl most of the time but i would like to switch to playing snb in the long term(say carrying 1 player for mp10 ubers?). And also, whats the min. attack speed i should be looking at for SNB?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/EmCee-6143/hero/26250400

with wkl:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/screenshot004jg.jpg/

with shield:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/screenshot005sx.jpg/
currently have 0 gold but prob gonna try farming and save up like 3m. What should be my next upgrade? Im only at like 37k dps and 550k ehp :/
Since monks is getting a damage buff on spirit spenders is it a good idea to go with a shield?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]