Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy

I have 1B right now, farming for more items.

Just using my TR gear I do pretty well in PVP against similar paragon levels using WOL and SSS. DH's give me hardest time but its usually pretty even with them, kill them a few times they kill me a few.

I dont have any interest in using S&B for ubbers (dont even do ubber runs anymore) or high MP since I farm low mp using TR build. Thanks to Druin I can never go back, feels slow as hell now. :)

I used to do MP10 all the time and ubber carries on MP10 but got bored of it. I have 2 good one hand weapons I can use for high mp and facetank it all day (except for refelcts which is bugged until 1.07) duel wielding. I just need a GG main hand for S&B which is what Im saving up for.

Im also thinking about going with blackthornes pants and chest but not sure yet.

Appreciate the help JC.
If anybody has a main hand I can borrow or purchase on the PTR that would be great. Be nice to test out before I sling down that kind of gold. Thanks
I have 8m saved up for upgrades right now, I know 99% of my gear is trash, so tell me what you think I should do with the 8m if you could.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kruell-1806/hero/6023144
Edited by Kruell#1806 on 1/27/2013 9:23 AM PST
Thoughts on Fist of Az for MH?

12xx with LS.

It's pretty cheap but is it worth it for lower budgets?
works for me so i guess it can work ^_^
@walaa

I, personally, think Fist of Az is a lackluster mainhand weapon. It's cheap and has big base damage with stun chance but the fact that it only has one random roll means it can't compete with the high end rares and even an echoing fury in terms of dps, sustain, and even ehp.
Edited by PuddingHead#1779 on 1/27/2013 9:26 PM PST
@walaa

I, personally, think Fist of Az is a lackluster mainhand weapon. It's cheap and has big base damage with stun chance but the fact that it only has one random roll means it can't compete with the high end rares and even an echoing fury in terms of dps, sustain, and even ehp.

agree. but since we are talking about lower budgets, i do think it still is a good choice. My fist cost me 20M and aside from my lucky win on a bid for a socketed 1050k dps black damage LS sword for 10m (which i resold for 40m) I cannot find a rare one, let alone an EF (and that is if you want to use an EF. some people like the fear, others hate it) for the same 20M i spent (and the stun part, even though low is noticeable and useful since Az has a high AS even compared to EF plus considering EF's APS bonus loses its effectiveness DPS wise since you have a shield for offhand). In the end, it will still depend on his budget. I believe (unless you are lucky), if you will spend 30M and above then you can definitely find good rare ones that can beat the top 12xx dps Azs. If you are on a lower budget, then still think that Az is a really solid choice.

by the way I think a ruby socketed high dps Az can rock pvp (but they are still too expensive for me Y_Y).
Yeah rubies in Fist of Az will be insane... they'll nearly match daggers (better than most daggers without increased aps). If for whatever reason you can get by with 0% lifesteal (might actually be possible with reflect damage being a shield), Fists of Az could become more popular.
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 1/28/2013 1:28 AM PST
@blhotz

i personally would not suggest having no LS for PVM. but for PVP where LS is less useful, yeah, the high dps of a ruby socketed Az seems nice. a 1400 dps (if with ruby gem) fist with 1.53 AS with some stun and 150+ dex and some spirit regen seems fun ^_^
Just got my first monk to 60 in HC and as expected am sword n board ! Figured this would be a good thread to fish for advice/comments on my current cheapo gear and build. Farming A1 inferno before I move on and feel more comfortable against the packs.
For your build you could change to deadly reach to play a bit safer. You could also switch out the rune on your mantra of evasion to divine. I'm not sure if those changes would really be better it depends on your play style. I would also say you could think about using fleetfooted possibly instead of seize till you get more dex. The extra movement speed can save your butt in hardcore some times.

For your gear I would just say find an area your safe farming and work on increasing your dps without losing defense. You should probably try to increase your crit chance or attack speed the most.
Need some pro advice here, i feel my monk is very good but if i use mantra of healing/time of need or mantra of evasion/hard target it becomes an excellent monk but lacks DPS. So what i need is advise on how to increase my dps without loosing any resistances/armor. I can do mp10 but it takes ages. I am not really into pvp because Aussie latency kills that. I have around 300 mill but i am not prepared to go the billion + route required for mempo etc.
I'd be inclined to change out the Nat ring for one with average damage/CD and AR. Overall, your monk is well balanced and you have reached the point where you'll need to upgrade gear while keeping the balance you want, this will take time. Just keep checking AH for pieces that meet your criteria (keep armor/resists), you'll find the pieces eventually.
Or end up just settling on what you can find cause your tired of waiting after months and months of searching.
@PuddingHead

Do you have another MH? Or you rock your build without LS?

@Kythe

Fist of Az with the new Ruby does sound interesting... Anyone has tested it on PTR?
@Walaa

The MH on my character right now is meant for PvP. I have another with LS, however, i can do mp10 with either. Just a matter of how much I want to pay attention.

Also, having a Fist of Az with a ruby is no better than having a rare or EF stated above with a ruby.

For example, you can have a 1100-1200+ one hander with Dex, Vit, CD, AND soc. The fist can't really compete with that.
For your build you could change to deadly reach to play a bit safer. You could also switch out the rune on your mantra of evasion to divine. I'm not sure if those changes would really be better it depends on your play style. I would also say you could think about using fleetfooted possibly instead of seize till you get more dex. The extra movement speed can save your butt in hardcore some times.

For your gear I would just say find an area your safe farming and work on increasing your dps without losing defense. You should probably try to increase your crit chance or attack speed the most.

Heh, I was Keen Eye for most of 1.01-1.03 on my SC monk.

01/28/2013 07:54 AMPosted by Walaa
Fist of Az with the new Ruby does sound interesting... Anyone has tested it on PTR?

Fist of Az is basically a fist with a unique graphic with SEVEN properties. Problem is there is only one random property to choose between socket, crit damage, and life steal. And high-end weapons require at least 2 of the 3, so Fist of Az'turr isn't really an option in the high-end. I picked one up for pvp because I'm poor, it's fast, and looks like a weapon you'd want to shove into someone from behind 2-3 times a second. But if you want an analysis of how good a ruby is for the weapon (non-dual weild), check out this post:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=394773&currentpage=2#30
just found out the hard way dueling on ptr on the weekend that a sword and board monk with anything less then 150k dps pretty much has no chance against quite a few others that r dueling atm.

moving to dual wield soon if i cant get some more dps out of this monk sooner rather then later.

Its just crazy some of the survive and defence ive seen on quite a few chars.

craziest i have seen is a barb 2.7k str sword and board with ss 250k dps 1900 vit 800 ar running 2 armour passives totalling 14k defence. 34% block it was just epic.
Edited by Taross#1144 on 1/28/2013 5:22 PM PST
@Walaa

Probably around 200M or so, all depends what you consider "mid" and what you wish to focus on in your build (balance, DPS, sustain, etc...). 200M would allow you to have decent gems in slotted items and probably have good sustain

Yep it's possible :)

Just put together my current set for 200m-ish (would've been lower if I didn't get that BT amulet) and seems to be quite effective for the price range (RS emerald not included).

Aimed for high EHP w/o OWE and not so much on DPS right now. Ended up with 1.6m EHP with dodge, 644 AR, 4,4k Armor, decent sustain and 78k HP (a little bit lower than what I wanted which was 80k).
DPS is on the lower side but again, I wasn't focusing on this atm. Can't have everything with a low budget.

Anyway, thank you to everybody that has been helping Monks in this thread and thank you Kythe for answering a few questions I had concerning his set (as you can see, the core is all based on yours :D).

Cheers, now all I have to do is get my DPS to 100k+ ^^
Is there any news on Azurewrath being an incredible SnB option. High APS with high freeze chance would likely destroy mobs.

I did a little math earlier and if you had 27% freeze chance and 3 APS you could freeze a mob 3-4 times in a 5 second period. That's not bad imo.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]