Diablo® III

Sword and Board - Academy

@Walaa

well I hope you are happy with the result. I think you can swap out your litany for a ring similar to mine (to retain the AR) but will provide a bit more DPS. Also for the boots, you should have gone for the 8% man ^_^ but that's a minor DPS thing anyways. I do like your BT ammy though, i chose my other stat to be average damage, didn't thought of getting AR on that one lol. good job. Don't worry too much about DPS, you can buff yourself easily to 100K with combination strike + foresight (since you have freed up OWE anyways, and even STI is now just an optional passive because of the added armor from the shield). Cheers!!!
@Kythe

Loving the results :D
THe Littany is there for the Dex my shield lacks (I do have a 300+dex Shield tho... Gets me 6k DPS but takes 7k HP :s). Maybe a Pox with better stats could help me out here.

The BT ammy I got lucky :p
I was looking for an offensive one with 7%CC (the good ones were all around 30m). Found this one for 50m bid and won it lol. AR-CC Dunc Cross are pretty expensive so I wouldn't go for that on my budget...
I was pretty happy putting together a tank S&B monk using a shield that dropped for me and Blackthorne's chest and pants. After glancing at a few S&B setups in this thread I see there is quite a bit I can improve on, though. I will continue to main my dual wield setup but will peek in this thread periodically for inspiration on how to get more EHP for higher MP levels and to build a more effective S&B monk. There are some genuinely impressive builds in this thread. : )
to the top
Just returning to d3, this is the post that I have been hoping to find. I really like sword/board play style. Really need advice on what to upgrade first and possibly even change some skills. Thank you!
@Shinmaster

Clearly, you are in dire need of a weapon upgrade, and then, an amulet with some CHC/CHD.

Check out the first page, OP has listed some gearing suggestions in which you may find useful.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aldones-1244/hero/21210490

I know what I could really use is a high quality crit damage and/or socketed weapon, but they're so darn expensive...If anyone has any other advice on how to gear, I'm all ears. Otherwise I'll just wait till I can actually afford the other pieces.
Take a look at my profile showing my new shield.

It took my EHP from 470k to 720k, a 250k EHP massive increase, and that is not even counting the block %. Currently DW my EF to snapshot for higher DPS and use my sustain axe together with my shield.

Killing elites on MP7+ takes awhile longer to KILL, but strangely the whole fight lasts shorter, this is because I dont have to chase elites around, MUCH less kiting, and more facetanking!

Quite impressive, but this snapshot thing is quite tiring IMO, especially for ppl like me who do a full clear, not very practical over long periods of time, but overall quite impressive.

Once they fix the snapshot in 1.07 and nerf RD, I will probably keep my shield, sell my Inna's belt/helm for a WH/mempo, drop the EF and sustain weapon and get a higher DPS weapon with only LS, preferably with some dex on it too and higher CD.

Edit*

Actually vs easy affixes it takes longer compared to DW, but against molten RD, star-shooting succubuses, it takes slightly shorter compared to DW.
Edited by Shade#6905 on 2/6/2013 4:15 AM PST
@Aldones- You can probably drop STI right off the bat and pick up beacon of ytar. I would say look for a witching hour but you are real close on you resistances (550?) so you should make sure it has either ar or yours. In replacing your belt you also lose almost 1/3 of your vit. I would almost say the cheapest interim thing is to check on inna's belt w vit and get a better rounded chest piece w more vit plus ar. Your build is very similar to mine and I can survive mp8 comfortably and mp10 slowly w a few deaths. I am not currently running w a nats combo though, because of the ehp I have w my other stuff. My pants shoulders and gloves are currently on my dh and my dps is just below 100k w shield.

@Shade- If is anything like the PTR the patch will be great as I am against the snapshotting mechanic as well. Considering your dps is quite higher than mine you should be zipping through stuff. I also run dw w an EF and have died to molten chasing things down more times than I would like to admit. The added buffs to SW and bells are nice. I would think your EHP would be over 1m though from the looks of it?
Good morning fellow monks!

I have been considering going S/B for quite a while now. I am currently running a TR build. I do like it, but need something with more survivability and DPS for running higher MP and in groups. I am at work, so cannot change my weapons to the 1-handers I do have. However, I am looking for some feedback on my other items that are equipped. Are there any that I will be able to continue using with the S/B build? Thanks for any input provided!!
@Aldones- You can probably drop STI right off the bat and pick up beacon of ytar. I would say look for a witching hour but you are real close on you resistances (550?) so you should make sure it has either ar or yours. In replacing your belt you also lose almost 1/3 of your vit. I would almost say the cheapest interim thing is to check on inna's belt w vit and get a better rounded chest piece w more vit plus ar. Your build is very similar to mine and I can survive mp8 comfortably and mp10 slowly w a few deaths. I am not currently running w a nats combo though, because of the ehp I have w my other stuff. My pants shoulders and gloves are currently on my dh and my dps is just below 100k w shield.

@Shade- If is anything like the PTR the patch will be great as I am against the snapshotting mechanic as well. Considering your dps is quite higher than mine you should be zipping through stuff. I also run dw w an EF and have died to molten chasing things down more times than I would like to admit. The added buffs to SW and bells are nice. I would think your EHP would be over 1m though from the looks of it?

I am trying to sell my 2 current weapons and get a high CD (85+), with 1 LS source, with that shield I should hit about 154-159k DPS (depending on what I buy) and 745 EHP (purple gem adds another 100k EHP if I really need it).

The final piece should be a 4CC Mempo (though it is currently out of my budget for now, and it will add another 6-7k dps, at the cost of about 40k EHP compared to my Inna's radiance).

Beyond that, I will have to see exactly how others manage to get that 200k DPS with a shield, seems quite impossible to me, even with the changes mentioned above, my gear is roughly 1.7B, Narc's gear is about 4B++,

Does that meant with S/B, I will need a further 2B to reach 200k DPS?? LOL
Hey Monks...I am back after a break with a DH and it seems quite easy to swap the equipment between the two. I have a couple of questions though: (1) breaking the 4 piece Inna's set bonus with a witching hour (3k+ dps and 28k+ ehp) what makes up for the spirit cost of SW? (2) i have a pair of fists (crystal and won) both with 2.8 life steal and 160+ dps, should I use combo strike or a different passive when i equip the fist weapons? (3) when I have skorn equipped, what are the best spirit generators?

I have a ton of equipment on mules, so I can make a lot of changes for eHP, dex, DPS, etc. Any build advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the assist in advance
Upgraded my weapon, got a great deal on it so while it may not be the best, is much better than what I had I think. Not sure where my next big upgrade will be at. Also, I know this is the main spec now, but has anyone done much with WoL build?
View profile
@ Shin

My profile should be showing my WoL build. I usually run MP 8 to MP 9 for keys and hit around 140K dps buffed. Fun build just wish I had more dps lol.
Edited by Wannabee808#1418 on 2/6/2013 5:15 PM PST
@shade

Having in excess of 200K DPS with a shield is expensive, You will probably need a fairly large amount of gold to achieve 200K DPS.

@Moose

If you wish to DW or use a Skorn, you are better off posting in a gearing thread. If you wish to s/b, we can help you. Off the top of my head, using an Innas 3 piece set will require the full spirit cost of SW. Using either fist would be fine with combo strike and with a skorn you would need spirit regen gear if you are having serious spirit issues.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1bHJdN8kocg/UROgR2otJGI/AAAAAAAAAhM/xsEskofAuQw/s912/Screenshot181.png

I am bored, so I made a S&B build
@shade

Having in excess of 200K DPS with a shield is expensive, You will probably need a fairly large amount of gold to achieve 200K DPS.

@Moose

If you wish to DW or use a Skorn, you are better off posting in a gearing thread. If you wish to s/b, we can help you. Off the top of my head, using an Innas 3 piece set will require the full spirit cost of SW. Using either fist would be fine with combo strike and with a skorn you would need spirit regen gear if you are having serious spirit issues.

Yes I know, there is a magical sword called Rip Breath that would put me around 177k DPS with a belt change. I also have a WH hour ready to change into, which will give me 2k more DPS and more EHP.

50 P level which I plan to grind hard in high MPs after the patch would put give 193k DPS, maybe a bracer, or a 4 CC mempo will put me over 200k with about 800k EHP (amethyst!)

Sadly the sword is about 1.2B, and I am 600M short, guess I will have to settle for much much less.
@jco

Why don't you use a mempo and inna's pants?
Hey,
I recently got the hallow plan, i had so much mats hoarded and with dueling in mind the idea of crafting the shield which can benefit from the 5%ias bonus. being that the axe or the fist dont seem that bad if rolled correctly.

i wanted to know if any of you guys has had luck crafting these?
@shade

Yes, Rip Breath seems to clone itself a few times a week now. It is a nice sword. If your goal is over 200K DPS, keep on saving gold as you are doing until you can afford items that you will not need to upgrade. There are a few ways you could exceed 200K DPS, cheapest would be to factor in BoH BW and you should be able to save quite a bit of money.

@chaotic

I lose too many resists and vitality with inna pants. I have a pair I use now and then on ubers, but other than that, the DPS benefit they provide isn't worth the resist loss. MS is also not a concern, I just swap out a passive for Fleet Foot if I wish to farm, which I do not do much anymore since I just do ubers and/or PvP. A Mempo is a nice helm, although they are not quite worth the gold cost to me for a 6% CC one, which usually runs around 2B.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]