Diablo® III

Rubies will not provide Attack Speed.

Read the wording:

"The new tier Ruby is a significant bump up that should make it the preferred choice for those who favor attack speed over Critical Hit chance"

What this means is Rubies will increase base damage, as they always have, making them more useful for those with high attack speed. This is exactly the same as Emeralds increasing Critical Hit Damage, as they always have, making them more useful for those with high Critical Hit Chance.

If I had to guess, this new ruby will be something like +100 Average Damage to the weapon which is favored by fast weapons like 1 hand xbows.
Reply Quote
View profile
yep
Reply Quote
That's how I understood it as well. Still, a nice option to the players preferring a nice flat damage to a spiked damage.

Cool beans
Reply Quote
Yeah, I could understand this both ways.
Reply Quote
Cool beans
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 09:25 PMPosted by HankPenny
Cool beans
I made chili today. Beans on the brain :D
Reply Quote
View profile
I hoped they buffed the topaz. Even more useless than a ruby. Still, like the changes.
Reply Quote
Nah that would be 150 average damage, it could be something like +100 minimum damage or +50 minimum damage +100 maximum damage (effectively +50-150).

And with that, if it provides 100 base damage to a weapon with 1.4 attack speed it will add 140 dps to the weapon. Whereas a slow 2h weapon with 1.1 attack speed will only get 110 dps (which is usually a much lower % boost).
Edited by Iria#1342 on 1/11/2013 9:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't understand how higher weapon damage makes IAS more effective than crit dmg...
Reply Quote
It will not add attack speed. What it does is add alot of base weapon damage so weapons with high attack speed gets more out of it.

Example:

A dagger with open socket and 500 average damage and 1.5 attacks per second has 750 DPS.
An axe with open socket and 750 average damage and 1 attacks per second has 750 DPS.

Assuming the Marquise Ruby adds 200 base damage. The new DPS will be as follows:

Dagger = 700 average damage and 1050 DPS
Axe = 950 average damage and 950 DPS

Thus fast attack speed weapons gain much more DPS than slow weapons using Marquise Ruby. Will it beat critical damage still remains to be seen.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 09:44 PMPosted by haplessG00N
I don't understand how higher weapon damage makes IAS more effective than crit dmg...

Adding 100 damage to a weapon that attacks at 1.4 times per second means the weapon will have 140 more dps (assuming no other mods on the weapon). Usually items with 1.4 or higher attacks per second have lower base damage to balance their faster speed so the 140 dps boost will be quite large when compared to without it. For large, slow, weapons with already high base damage but low attacks per second, the +100 base damage will only boost the dps of the weapon marginally (perhaps not marginally but much less than a fast weapon) in which case critical hit damage may be more beneficial.
Reply Quote
That doesn't make any sense. It has to be IAS. The ruby would have to add a ton of damage.
Reply Quote
+100/100 to a gg dagger, in a high speed build could equate to a significant boost.
Reply Quote
After reading the post again I strongly believe now that ruby will add base dmg like it is now except it'll be more gg. The following phrase said it all:

"or for those who use skills which do not benefit as much from Critical Hit such as Sentry and Hydra."

Adding attack speed wouldn't help Sentry or Hydra, but base dps would.
Edited by GodOfDiablo#1610 on 1/12/2013 1:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
Read the wording:

"The new tier Ruby is a significant bump up that should make it the preferred choice for those who favor attack speed over Critical Hit chance"

What this means is Rubies will increase base damage, as they always have, making them more useful for those with high attack speed. This is exactly the same as Emeralds increasing Critical Hit Damage, as they always have, making them more useful for those with high Critical Hit Chance.

If I had to guess, this new ruby will be something like +100 Average Damage to the weapon which is favored by fast weapons like 1 hand xbows.
What if it is +attacks per second (like chantodo or echoing fury)?

Adding attack speed wouldn't help Sentry or Hydra, but base dps would.
I think those 2 skills actually directly scale with attack speed.
Edited by Elexar#2219 on 1/12/2013 1:36 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]