Diablo® III

Rubies will not provide Attack Speed.

It should be IAS. If it had static +min/+max, it will never be the gem of choice for best items as it doesnt scale with weapon damage.
Reply Quote
would be bad for 2h-ers which already has high dmg at the cost of speed
Reply Quote
Whatever these new gems do, for the price of 3 radiant stars and 20 million, it better make me just EXPLODE WITH AWESOMENESS..

..because holy crap that's like 80 million frickin gold. The increased base damage granted by rubies in 1.07 notwithstanding, if "most of its stats are in line with the current gem progression" you'd have to be a darned fool to spend that much for 4 more dexterity or even 10 more crit damage.
Reply Quote
I'm so frustrated with Blizzard way of communication! why can't they go and just say what it is they're making ruby to be. Why does it has to be convoluted and so unclear. I hope they don't go and think oh good we've created this preview so you guy should be thankful, forget that we're just going to confuse the community even more with ambiguous wording.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 09:44 PMPosted by haplessG00N
I don't understand how higher weapon damage makes IAS more effective than crit dmg...

Let's assume two people with the same stat sheet dps, just invested in different stats so they deal their damage slightly differently.

Person A attacks 5 times per second for 10, 10, 10, 10, 10. (total 50)
Person B attacks once per second for 50. (total 50)

They both get +10 damage.

Person A now attacks for 5 times per second for 20, 20, 20, 20, 20 (total 100)
Person B attacks once per second for 60. (total 60)
Edited by Myon#1319 on 1/12/2013 2:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 02:01 AMPosted by Myon
I don't understand how higher weapon damage makes IAS more effective than crit dmg...

Let's assume two people with the same stat sheet dps, just invested in different stats so they deal their damage slightly differently.

Both of those weapons scale linearly with CC/CD though.
Reply Quote
I hope that at the last minute they'll probably change it to topaz and burn all the ruby speculators
Reply Quote
they could easily change to +% dmg, except at a less burstier thing (eg: radiant might be +50% dmg)
Reply Quote
Topaz not getting any love lol
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 02:06 AMPosted by chrisloup
I hope that at the last minute they'll probably change it to topaz and burn all the ruby speculators

I like this idea lol.
Reply Quote

Both of those weapons scale linearly with CC/CD though.

I suppose it's because CC/CD apply independently of how granular your attacks are. If you have x% crit, it doesn't matter if you deal 10 damage ten times, or one 100 damage attack, you get the same damage boost from crit regardless.

You might say IAS and +Average Damage form a kind of symbiotic pair in that they buff each other, just like Crit and Crit Damage feed off each other as well. Saavy DH running fast hand crossbows have been making use of this in their gearing for some time now - with average damage on jewelry.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 1/12/2013 2:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
If they make it good enough I suppose.. my spreadsheet tells me that if I lose 100 crit damage, I need about 200 average damage just to get me back to where I was at. I have no idea if they would make it that high, but here's to hoping.
Reply Quote
well, right now avg xbow base damage is 300. I can boost this with a 100% CD + 50% CC to 450 in avg case. Unless the new ruby provides at least 150 Avg DMG then it will be pointless to be used.
Reply Quote
If it's base weapon DPS still that the new rubies will be adding, it would have to be very HIGH in order to beat 100% CD from an emerald. There's also the question of what the new top tier emeralds will bring.

Using d3rawr's DPS calculator, I imported my profile and added
+100 to my main hand weapon's base and max damage values
then subtracted 100 from my critical hit damage
the end result was -14,000 DPS.

The new rubies would have to be at least +200min/+200max if I'm going to swap out an emerald for it.
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 02:07 AMPosted by chrisloup
they could easily change to +% dmg, except at a less burstier thing (eg: radiant might be +50% dmg)

+50% dmg is broken beyond fix. +20% is more likely, still probably outclass 100% CD.
Reply Quote
let's not forget that it's probably going to be 110% CD with the new rank of emerald now... seems rather hard to beat
Reply Quote
Too early to tell.

Let's wait for the proper and full notes, shall we?
Reply Quote
Too early to tell.

Let's wait for the proper and full notes, shall we?

given that this is D3 and it's developers I'm willing to jump the gun and say it will still be bad compared to emeralds :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]