Diablo® III

Rubies will not provide Attack Speed.

Rubis will add only base damage, but unless it adds quite a lot of it it only be worthwhile for ppl with very low CC and very low base damage

Just as an example at 2.8 aps and 58CC I would need a +250/+250 ruby to match a 110 CD emerald.

I would love to level a new char with a 200+average damage on his weapon
Edited by GreyMouser#2169 on 1/12/2013 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
"make it the preferred choice for those who favor attack speed over Critical Hit chance"

^in this quote they probly would have said "favor attack speed over critical hit damage" if it was comparing a new ruby with attack speed to the crit damage on a emerald.

"We also took the opportunity to modify the Ruby effect in weapons."

But in this quote why would they say modify the ruby effect if they were just buffing the numbers on it. And if they do this then why cant they buff the topaz and maybe even the amethyst numbers to compete with emeralds also? And if they can change the ruby affect completely to attack speed then why not add the attack speed effect instead or a new one to topaz since they are more useless than rubies... It seems like it could go either way.
Reply Quote
i still have to find a similar weapon with a socket. that's going to be so expensive...
Reply Quote
Read the wording:

"The new tier Ruby is a significant bump up that should make it the preferred choice for those who favor attack speed over Critical Hit chance"

If we continue to read the virgin, sorry, wording, the word 'significant' really has to be substantially significant to better an Emerald, and furthermore, it could possibly have to be even more so if we read the wording 'the new tier ruby' which would mean that it would have to be better than a new tier Emerald as well, unless the New Ruby stats only applies to the Marquise quality or to every Ruby, or perhaps the old ones will be called Legacy Ruby.

This is as a bit more clear as always; Unique Equipped has been bested!!!
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 12:14 PMPosted by Time2Kill
What you are saying Iria makes no sense in the least.

Actually, it does. The key part here is:

"The new tier Ruby is a significant bump up that should make it the preferred choice for those who favor attack speed over Critical Hit chance..."

Since a Ruby doesn't add neither Attack Speed nor Critical Hit Chance, it falls back to the default meaning which is Damage. It is however ridiculously sloppy English, but this isn't something new.
Reply Quote
What if they changed rubies from being a flat increase to a percentage increase, like +1% min/max damage for a chipped ruby to +20% for a marquis (or whatever numbers they have to be to be competitive with crit damage), so like a 700-1200 weapon would turn into a 770-1320 weapon with a 10% ruby?
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 01:44 AMPosted by Agamemnicon
Whatever these new gems do, for the price of 3 radiant stars and 20 million, it better make me just EXPLODE WITH AWESOMENESS..

Yeah, it will explode your Rasputin DH with 4 more Dexterity like BAM! The best 80mil you spent in your whole life.

Edit: If my maths does not fail me, that's 400mil for one percent increase of a typical level 60 hero. 1%. One. Single. Percent!

When Blizzard aims high, it's high alright.
Edited by Vresiberba#2940 on 1/12/2013 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Vresiberba
The best 80mil you spent in your whole life.

Herein lies the rub. Weapon and helm bonuses notwithstanding, didja ever wonder why the heck gem bonuses don't scale according to rarity/cost? Why shouldn't a Radiant Star's increment be at least 10-20 the primary stat? Say the increment of 4 remains until Perfect Square, which would now give you 6 to the stat. Raise the current increment by 2 at every stage. Radiant Stars would now give 100 to primary stats (if my quick math is right). That may seem like a big jump, from 58 to 100, but THEY COST 20 MILLION GOLD. That's the least they could do.
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Agamemnicon
The best 80mil you spent in your whole life.

Herein lies the rub. Weapon and helm bonuses notwithstanding, didja ever wonder why the heck gem bonuses don't scale according to rarity/cost? Why shouldn't a Radiant Star's increment be at least 10-20 the primary stat? Say the increment of 4 remains until Perfect Square, which would now give you 6 to the stat. Raise the current increment by 2 at every stage. Radiant Stars would now give 100 to primary stats (if my quick math is right). That may seem like a big jump, from 58 to 100, but THEY COST 20 MILLION GOLD. That's the least they could do.

Yeah, this is why I really don't like a new tier of gem, it's already prohibitively expensive for the average person to get top end gems, let alone new ones that cost 80M to make. I would have much rather had new types of gems and/or runes to a new tier of gem I can't afford.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 09:44 PMPosted by haplessG00N
I don't understand how higher weapon damage makes IAS more effective than crit dmg...
+

Raw DPS is your answer
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 02:53 PMPosted by CylentPsycho
I took is as the rubies that are being added will be account bound and can only be crafted through demonic essences, or something along the lines of obtaining really op gear.

the upgraded tier of gems will cost 20m to craft per gem, not account bound by any means.

BoA gear will be acct bound, special recipes which u can craft LIKE a Hellfire ring (dex,str,int,vit as options) with new recipes like chest, helm, boots, pants etc (not weapons yet thoug)
Reply Quote
Rubies should have been +% Damage from the start. Raw damage make rubies OP at low levels and UP at high levels. +% Damage will scale with weapon damage as you progress

Anyone seeing 2 soc manti with emerald+ruby? :D
Reply Quote
http://www.reddit.com/user/wyattcheng

"Sorry for the confusion.

The new Ruby gives flat damage increase, much like the existing rubies do. However, because of the way the math works out, the higher your attack speed, the more your character benefits from a flat damage increase.

For example, let's say Your attack speed is 1.1 If a Ruby adds 20 damage to your weapon, then it is adding 22 DPS to your weapon.

However, if your attack speed is 2.4, then that same Ruby that adds 20 damage to your weapon is going to add 48 DPS to your weapon.

Essentially, flat damage benefits higher attack speeds.

Our goal with the tuning on the new Ruby is that if you have high attack speed, and/or your skill build leans heavily on skills that don't crit (such as Hydra), then you may prefer the flat damage granted by the Ruby over the Critical Hit Damage provided by the Emerald. The exact tuning point has gone through some internal testing but we'll be monitoring things on PTR as well. I expect some clever theorycrafters will figure out some breakpoints for when to use one gem or another."

Looks like it is indeed +dmg.
Reply Quote

The new Ruby gives flat damage increase, much like the existing rubies do. However, because of the way the math works out, the higher your attack speed, the more your character benefits from a flat damage increase.

For example, let's say Your attack speed is 1.1 If a Ruby adds 20 damage to your weapon, then it is adding 22 DPS to your weapon.

However, if your attack speed is 2.4, then that same Ruby that adds 20 damage to your weapon is going to add 48 DPS to your weapon.

Our goal with the tuning on the new Ruby is that if you have high attack speed, and/or your skill build leans heavily on skills that don't crit (such as Hydra), then you may prefer the flat damage granted by the Ruby over the Critical Hit Damage provided by the Emerald. The exact tuning point has gone through some internal testing but we'll be monitoring things on PTR as well. I expect some clever theorycrafters will figure out some breakpoints for when to use one gem or another."

wait does this mean they will boost those dmg number in old rubies? his post doesn't make this clear. why don't they come out and just clearly state, something like, the old rubies +dmg will be doubled etc. would be much clearer.
Reply Quote

wait does this mean they will boost those dmg number in old rubies? his post doesn't make this clear. why don't they come out and just clearly state, something like, the old rubies +dmg will be doubled etc. would be much clearer.

Who cares? are you gonna start pilling up on lower quality ruby if they come ahead and say so?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]