Diablo® III

The Dueling Thread

GG Draco. Thanks for the challenge and I hope to get the better of you next time. Round one goes to you.

Cheers-

No worries, it was fun. I really hoped we have the option of fighting along side each other. Let's hope there will be options to choose ally.
Reply Quote
It's nice to see that so far DW is viable, at least for me atm. The 500+ dex I get from them gives Backlash quite the kick with Guardian's Path.

What's your best build so far?

On a side note, having to leave game and return to get full spirit sucks.

Fitz,, what was your dodge DW with guardian spirit?

With S&b, I use six sense, which push my dodge to 63% with mantra of evasion (not on 3 sec)

I can get 63.5% without 3 sec buff. Pacifism + Backlash > Sledgefist
Reply Quote
I have a perhaps noobish question, but is this dueling open to everyone or is it only for a few selected ppl? And if it is open for public, how do u join?
Reply Quote
cant wait to see this fight :)
Reply Quote
Played until I was able to convince myself that I needed to go to sleep to get ready for work tomorrow at 5:30. Wasn't able to convince myself until past 1am haha

Further obvservations:

Vs my fellow monk brothers on the forums:

I need to gain more mitigation and some SR. I am below 50% in 1v1's overall tough group haha. Played with further adjustments and havn't decided on what the best build for me is yet. Fun overall.

Vs WD

Probably the toughest match for me since they have just as many defensive tricks as we do and they can mitigate SSS by redirecting some if not most of the hits to their minions. Oink Oink Oink was a pain in the !@# and if they have an EF I believe the spiders even proc this so if you get surrounded or low on Spirit its gg. DS is your best ally as you will bypass all minions straight to the head cheese.

Vs. DH

Overall a favorable matchup until you play someone who has a Legacy Nats set. They are invulvnerable for a majority of the match just have to time accordingly. Again DS is key to this matchup and having stun rune on it is clutch as it will give you opportunity to land more stun skills on them. A well timed SSS usually takes them out as their Vit for most is fairly low. Their moving/spinning strafe allows them mobility and constant DPS serenity is best for this.

Vs. Wizard

Even with all their tricks, Illusion, etc. was fairly straight forward but didn't fight any with greater than 300K DPS probably would make a big difference. Usually dispatch them with well times Serenity, DS.

Vs. Barb

Came up mostly against them in the random games early in fighting but started to see them less and less, I guess people started using their Alts since I think I was only killed 2 times out of the dozens of 1v1s. Usually they have the upper hand for the first 2-3 seconds, they stun you continue to stun you will chipping at your life then you pop serenity hit back then right when Serenity is about to run low you pop Blinding light combed into SSS. This give you almost 7-8 seconds of the barb not hitting you and their fury runs out. After that its gg.

FFA

Was mainly trading off since after you slaughter a few guys you don't have Spirit and you just run around hopefully able to catch someone with a DS to get in a few hits to get some Spirit back but usually = death since they are semi recharged after going down to you earlier.

Time to use some of my TR items for the build. Helm with SR, Ring with SR and a Fist of Az with Spirit Regen. 6+ SR should be solid enough to help with the SR starvation you feel while dueling.

If you out SR your opponent you can basically run in and out then go in for the kill. Pop serenity when they SSS and TR away after a heated exchange then swoop back in after a few seconds of running. I think this is what MvM will evolve into perhaps until everybody has SR.

Not really in depth just a few insights.

Enjoyed running and gunning with the locals here. Time to look for a Tasker and Theo haha for dat armor!
Reply Quote
Any footage?
Reply Quote
Any ideas on how to take down a DH that camps with sentries and becomes unhittable when you come close (smokescreen?)? he becomes a shadow and just dances around.

It's unreal how long he can stay in that phase and there's nothing I can do about it.
Edited by Myrthr#1471 on 1/16/2013 5:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Mythr never ran across that but that must get annoying really quick...

EDIT: I would assume to try and get dodge to 80% haha

Kinda crazy how all our complaints about Dodge and what not are the most valuable assets we have now in dueling.

Also with the way some of the fights panned out yesterday I am sure someone is going to use full Innas and use sweeping winds. Go toe to toe and no real running yet SW damage could be big.
Edited by CaptainCarl#1923 on 1/16/2013 6:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Here are some of my initial thoughts -

DH - only played vs one (p100 280k+ dps). He ran a turret/homing strafe build that was pretty obnoxious, but i was able to win a decent amount of the time (40% maybe). Just had to catch him off guard and not be dumb and run straight into where he was camping with his turrets.

The WD i played against was also p100 and high dps.. i didnt really have much of a problem with him unless you managed to get bears off when i wasnt ready for them. hex sucks too, but pacifism helped to control that. I won this matchup a substantial amount of the time.

Vs barbs - really not much to say... they arent that great at pvp! after you get out of any sort of stun they have then its pretty easy to take them down - even with the current cookie cutter build i had no problem... switching builds up just made it easier.

I only played against one wizard and he wasnt that high tier so its hard to say what this matchup will be like. This guy used some sort of slow time/ice beam build that was pretty annoying, but didnt seem to do any big burst damage to kill me off. I imagine a higher tier wiz would be a different story. (this one was p100, but lower dps ~160k maybe?)

The rest of my ptr time yesterday was against monks and in ffa battles. good times... cant wait for live!

seems like sweeping wind is kind of out for pvp now as bells are a much stronger option for dps. lots of 1-3 hit kills, even vs 1m+ ehp monks
Reply Quote
oops double post
Edited by Tarzan#1737 on 1/16/2013 6:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 05:10 AMPosted by itsTimmay
Any footage?

www.twitch.tv/thefinalzergling draco was streaming some of it
Reply Quote
just pvp-ed with this gotrek#1438 DH, they are always in smoke screen and i just got 1 shoted all the time..
Reply Quote
Posted by itsTimmay
Any footage?
www.twitch.tv/thefinalzergling draco was streaming some of it

http://www.twitch.tv/thefinalzergling/b/357440627

Here you will some awesome action of Puddinghead, scrapz, myself, captaincarl, borrowedtime...

There might be some witch doctors there as well.. we discussed skills/ passives along the way but it wasn't very organized and may just seem like random stuff.

However, here are some skills that I found to be useful and where I would use them in.

Skills -

Dashing strike: Use either the rune with increase movement speed, or stun rune. A must vs. range classes.

WOL: High risk/ high damage. Basically you are gambling 40 spirit on whether it lands, better against barbies that don't have a high dodge.

SSS: Pandemoium, the stun rune. 1777 damage in 7 hits with stun. If you get more than half of the hits in.. it's usually GG... (tip. blinding flash FiTL -> SSS for max profit)

Blinding Flash: use either FitL if you want to combo SSS, or use echoing rune so you get a 2nd c.c. this 2nd c.c. is nice

Inner Sanctuary: 35% damage reduction. I find this very good against melee classes. You pop down the sanctuary mid fight. You will take way less damage and the opponent will have to fight you with diminished returns, or he can move out... which allows you to get some free hits in.

Exploding Palm: Another good skill vs melee. I use the first rune, which allow your palmed target to take 12% extra damage. Also 745% bleed is no joke too. (pro tip. FiTL -> palm -> SSS)

Mantras:

Mantra of Evasion:
(backlash) especially good against someone has high IAS
(divine protection) Good if you are anticipating you will be fighting in low-life situations

Mantra of Retribution:
(Indignation) probably the best vs. range. when they hit you.. there is a chance the mantra will active a stun..

Passives:

Near Death Experience: I would say it's a must... 50% life is huge!

Six sense/ guardian spirit: depending on if you S&b or duel wield... take advantage of the dodge

Pacifism: Good versus WD... when you are at risk of being chained -cc.

Resolve: mix feelings, nothing spectacular but worth a try
Reply Quote
so so close to fully geared now finally:) haven't had a chance to duel due to work but so keen. Still trying to find a few pieces but so close i can taste it. I will start adding you guys very soon as im wiping my friends list and just adding people that wanna duel:)

Please start adding me guys to ur friends lists! and type due into comments.
Edited by Taross#1144 on 1/16/2013 12:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
I concure with Draco and he summed it up nicely.

I would also like to add if you have trouble against range and you need to pinpoint them with DS use Mantra of Conviction Disheartened I believe to slow down their movement 30%. I was going to test crippling wave to reduce movement and atk speed as well.

Also if you go free 4 all and you use SSS don't worry about the stun go with reduced cool time for multiple uses running in and out of the mayhem.

On a sidenote, I'm going to try and make one or more marquis today or tomorrow if anybody sells the plan in PTR or if one drops and test it for dueling as well for my ATK speed and see if its better than CD on average.
Reply Quote
I concure with Draco and he summed it up nicely.

I would also like to add if you have trouble against range and you need to pinpoint them with DS use Mantra of Conviction Disheartened I believe to slow down their movement 30%. I was going to test crippling wave to reduce movement and atk speed as well.

Also if you go free 4 all and you use SSS don't worry about the stun go with reduced cool time for multiple uses running in and out of the mayhem.

On a sidenote, I'm going to try and make one or more marquis today or tomorrow if anybody sells the plan in PTR or if one drops and test it for dueling as well for my ATK speed and see if its better than CD on average.

I think the IAS gem will be better vs dh/wd since we're so spirit starved when tracking them. CD gem will be better vs barbs/monks, need that extra burst.
Reply Quote
Didn't they clarify the ruby was potentially +150 min +150 max damage. Did they change it again?
Reply Quote
Has anyone versed one of the guys geared for block % with justice lanterns etc.

Be curious to see how 80% block works in dueling.

You meant this guy??

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Iria-1342/hero/6690702

Yep!

Would love to know about those guys survivability.

And yeah JCO - they did clarify that marquise rubies would be 150+/150+ so I believe the top tier now would be 140+/140+.
Edited by Cayzer#6828 on 1/16/2013 1:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 01:46 PMPosted by jco310
Didn't they clarify the ruby was potentially +150 min +150 max damage. Did they change it again?

do u guys have a link where i can read this info?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]