452 armor
93dex
82vit
8% ias

the other one has

808 armor
96dex
9ias

The question is, which of the two would give me more survivability?
Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
As with all questions of this nature, the real answer is 'it depends.' Some people have plenty of sustain and just need more EHP; other people need the additional Effective Sustain that the mitigation provides.

For you I'd say that the +Armor might be better since your sustain is on the low side, but your HP is pretty high already.

Nice WKL by the way... that's the highest DPS I think I've seen on a 6/25
Edited by Sorak#1419 on 1/12/2013 9:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Thanks ^-^ I'm quite proud of my WKL, and thank you for the helpful answer. I think I might go with +Armor.
Reply Quote
Sorak is right.

If you reach a stage where adding 1000 armor only increases mitigation by 2-4%, then you know you're at the break point where adding Vit or % Damage reduction will be much better. As an estimate, 5000 to 6000 armor will be reasonable, beyond which the stacking of Vit and % damage reduction becomes far more effective.
Reply Quote
As with all questions of this nature, the real answer is 'it depends.' Some people have plenty of sustain and just need more EHP; other people need the additional Effective Sustain that the mitigation provides.

For you I'd say that the +Armor might be better since your sustain is on the low side, but your HP is pretty high already.

Nice WKL by the way... that's the highest DPS I think I've seen on a 6/25

good answer. i expected to come in here and see everyone saying that higher ehp is always the best. Sorak is spot on: the higher your mitigation, the more effective your sustain will be. i myself have nearly 600k ehp, but only about half the HP as other monks with the same ehp do. this means my heals recover a greater amount of ehp.

also agree on the second point: that's a mighty fine WKL you've got there.
Reply Quote
I haven't been using my monk for quite a long time since 1.0.4, been using barb until last week when I found the vile ward my monk is currently equipped. So I decided to give him another go and see if I could do something about his gears. Being used to barb, I prioritized armor > fire resist > AR > vit. In the end I upgraded almost all of my gears except for the pants (got the pants from cydea 1.0.4) and gloves. I'm planning to upgrade my pants today which the main reason I posted the question. I spent 130mil for all the upgrades. The 808 armor pants got sniped away from me just a few minutes ago. T-T

Edit; Got the WKL for 63mil
Edited by venveng#1906 on 1/12/2013 10:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Plug them stats into d3up.com.
Reply Quote
I agree with Sorak but I can't help but think that the most effective way of surviving most things that kill us in Inferno/MP is to stack resists and armor. Stacking Health prolongs death but only by a few seconds. As with everything though, balance is always better.
Edited by n0rain#1149 on 1/13/2013 12:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
I completely agree, Sorak is right it depends on the specific player. For instance, I came into the thread and just by looking at the stats alone I would say almost without a doubt the VIT one would be better. But then I read the whole thread and I'd probably agree with Sorak on the armor pants as well. I'm also sorry to see that you lost the chance at the armor ones, but its probably not that big of a deal once you see the math below.

The real truth though can be had by using Simulate on d3up.com, heres what I got if you were to switch to the armor pants (even though you can't at this point):

+3 dex
+357.5 armor
+1% ias
+679.36 pdps
+1.5% armor DR
+0.33% total DR

-82 vit
-3,616 hp
-17,776.35 EHP
-32,716.22 EHP + Dodge

Looking closer, its actually not that bad, because you gain 7% total armor while losing 7% total hp. And you would gain dps in the process.

If it were me though I probably would've passed, unless they were really cheap and I could test them out myself and see if I could notice a difference.
Reply Quote
the higher your mitigation, the more effective your sustain will be. i myself have nearly 600k ehp, but only about half the HP as other monks with the same ehp do. this means my heals recover a greater amount of ehp.

This is a really good point that I haven't thought much of. The thing with monk's heals are that the amount healed is fixed and not based on percentage of health. So given two monks with same EHP but one has more mitigation and one has more HP, a healing potion or a BoH heal is far more effective for a monk with more mitigation.

There does come a point that the cost of extra mitigation is not worth the change in effectiveness, in which case I echo the others that you can start focusing on HP. I'm not sure what that point exactly is right now, but I'm thinking that it's somewhere around the guidelines of 700 AR and 6K armor.
Reply Quote
I completely agree, Sorak is right it depends on the specific player. For instance, I came into the thread and just by looking at the stats alone I would say almost without a doubt the VIT one would be better. But then I read the whole thread and I'd probably agree with Sorak on the armor pants as well. I'm also sorry to see that you lost the chance at the armor ones, but its probably not that big of a deal once you see the math below.

The real truth though can be had by using Simulate on d3up.com, heres what I got if you were to switch to the armor pants (even though you can't at this point):

+3 dex
+357.5 armor
+1% ias
+679.36 pdps
+1.5% armor DR
+0.33% total DR

-82 vit
-3,616 hp
-17,776.35 EHP
-32,716.22 EHP + Dodge

Looking closer, its actually not that bad, because you gain 7% total armor while losing 7% total hp. And you would gain dps in the process.

If it were me though I probably would've passed, unless they were really cheap and I could test them out myself and see if I could notice a difference.

I got a new pants now. It has higher armor than the previous one. I'm wearing it right now. Got it for 25mil, freshly posted by the seller so I grab it right away. I tested it and the first thing I noticed is my HP now don't drop as fast as it was before. My new goal now is getting me a new main 1H weapon. Thinking about Crystal Fist with LS and sockets. Reason is to take back the VIT I lost after switching pants. Anyone got a fist that has sockets, LS IAS DEX+VIT that I might buy. Please offer, budget is 25 mil.

Edit; Thank you for that calculation, help me a lot on deciding if I would buy it or not. I think 25mil is a reasonable price for my new pants, right?
Edited by venveng#1906 on 1/13/2013 1:22 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]