Diablo® III

Suggestions for WD Skills 1.0.2

Thank you for your acknowledgement that we exist. I hope you do not mistake the fact that just because Witch Doctor's have the most build diversity, there is still dramatic room for improvement within the class. Some scalability mechanics have also been concern that has been addressed and ideas expressed.

Glad to see a Developer looking at some of the improvement recommendations the players have.

You are correct, there is always room for improvement. My Witch Doctor is probably my character I have the most fun with but there are certainly abilities I have plans to improve. For example I have always really enjoyed damage over time based characters and was pretty disappointed when I tried to build my WD around that idea. Locust Swarm is pretty fun and I liked using it but it was hard to justify giving it a place in my build. Haunt is in the same boat but I think Haunts problems are very clear and easily addressed in a future update.

Also, I put a lot of the ideas in this thread into my current list of ideas for improving the WD so I'm here to do more than just give you guys a pat on the back. The ideas and suggestions in this thread are great and community input is sincerely appreciated. You will absolutely see some of these ideas down the road and when you do you will be able to take pride in knowing that these were your ideas and they were awesome.

Hopefully Toad of Hugeness is on your list. I literally bought the game for that 1 skill and although i love how it gives my enemies a big kiss in PvP for 200dmg (trololololol) would be great if it was actually useful.
Reply Quote
when i first saw the witch doctor i knew it was the class for me. the pets were the first thing that really drew me to the class and i'd love to see a full pet build viable. if fetishes were able to last till they die with the force amour similar to the other pets it would be awesome.

the other thing is it's seems as though the witch doctor seems to be the perfect class for a potent crowd control build.

My sugestion would be to have a passive that increases the proc rate of pets with the number of pets in your build. imagine having your own little army of dogs, fetishes, garg, spider queen, etc all running arround causing confusion and chaos, procing stun, freeze, chill, charm, poison, etc. the pets themselves wouldnt be powerfull damage dealer but it would be awesome to see. kinda goes with the voodoo theme as well!!!!!
Reply Quote
These are the top three skills I would like to see buffed for WD

1. Fetish Sycophants: One of the reasons I started playing WD was because I liked the whole Necro summoner class from D2 so much. However, FS are difficult to use in this game due to three things:

- You don't have enough of them at any one time
-They don't deal enough damage
-They don't live long enough.

To make the FS more useful, I propose the following changes:

- Allow WD to proc Tiki and Torch FS
-Increase the proc rate with skills to 7% (3% dagger 2% Tiki 2% Torch maybe)
-Make FS army and FS passive STACKABLE
- Give the FS vastly buff the Fierce Loyalty passive so that the thorns damage actually means something (or just buff thorns damage).
-Make the FS beefier (Armor, RA, and life that increase as a percentage of the WD)
-Make the dagger attack faster or hit harder (or both).
-Increase lifespan of FS to 90 sec.

2. Buff every other SB and Toad skill besides WoS and RoT. These are currently the ONLY useful runes for higher MPs.

-For the toads, the casting and animation times need to be MUCH faster (probably double or so the current rate) and the range needs to be MUCH higher (probably +4 from what it is currently).
-Also, a way to auto cast toads while kiting (say for 3-5 seconds) would be extremely useful as well.
-A damage buff would also be nice

3. Haunt and Wall both need buffs
-The only wall rune that is useful is Pile On, an it's not as good as a straight bear build
-Haunt is useless in PvE
-Haunt should deal AoE damage or something. Wall should have a much shorter cool down

Sorry for the sloppy formatting. I don't have a lot of time today.
Reply Quote
How about they give us back the ability to spit locust swarm on our pets so they run around and infect enemies they attack. You know, that skill that was is in the game 8 years ago? The one they decided to take out right around the time they scrapped the PC version of D3.

I'm not even going to start on mana issues at high mp levels. I'm afraid I've exhausted my desire to explain our shortcomings. Where were the blues in the 100 other threads I posted in? Our mana passives need a complete overhaul. Or just give us back old VQ.

Finally I think we should have a full set bonus. Give us a reason to get all 5 pieces. I think it should randomly summon the spirit of Zunimassa to hover over you, similar to your horrify "face" that pops up, but it should stay for around 5-10 seconds at a time and steal mana from people while simultaneously buffing your max mana.
Reply Quote
i think if you are equipping the zuni helm, Mr. T should appear every 15-20 seconds and his gold chains blind enemies
Reply Quote
View profile
02/25/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Travis Day
You are correct, there is always room for improvement. My Witch Doctor is probably my character I have the most fun with but there are certainly abilities I have plans to improve. For example I have always really enjoyed damage over time based characters and was pretty disappointed when I tried to build my WD around that idea. Locust Swarm is pretty fun and I liked using it but it was hard to justify giving it a place in my build.

Travis, try the build in my profile! Life steal is essential. It's best at plowing through densely populated areas like rakkis and keeps on lower MPs but if you have great tanking ability and high DPS, I suppose you could run it on any MP.
Reply Quote
View profile
your gear is exhibit A why the AH is dead

if the game was released as it is now, no one would hardly even bother with the AH

I'm confused, only thing the WD has from the AH is her weapon which was 360k. I guess I bought the boots too--but it was a long time ago for my wizard (they were actually kinda pricy) and I let them collect dust in my stash for a few months because they are a nice well-rounded rare. The rest of that stuff took a long time to acquire but that's the perk of not AHing all the marginal stuff you find, you can make a passable char for essentially free. A noob isn't going to walk into A1 inferno and have zuni chests falling all over the place...
Reply Quote
lets talk about Mana and IAS. someone here suggested mana regen scale with IAS. that would actually make it nice for us to have.

this is what i asked of Grimiku but in reality I should have asked you.

sorry i can't help myself. the cold day in hell thing is hilarious...and i know this will be read sooooo....

um, since you play a witch doctor I am sure you understand that IAS(increased attack speed) is not the best stat for them. and you also must notice that we are the only class that has main attacks that use up our resource instead of generating it like every other class(wiz is free), barb on hit and when hit, dh on attack, monk on hit.

and the more IAS we stack the faster we run out of mana. do you guys plan to fix this? like, how come my monk attacks faster and replenishes spirit faster, without having to worry about losing spirit from attacking too fast but my witch doctor I have to throttle all the time. we are the only class where it is a glaring issue. has anyone on your side noticed? is this intended?
sorry, i couldn't make it to ask the developers because im an adult and i have a job. but this golden opportunity i am not going to waste. thanks for your time

We’re aware of the unique resource challenge that Witch Doctors face, and how that can affect the desire for IAS. I would say that IAS is still valuable for Witch Doctors, but that value scales heavily with effective resource management, and that’s intentional.

is there a way to maybe lower the mana cost of our primaries? because if I have 75 mana per second, and I am spamming rain of toads, I am losing 12 mana per attack, not per second. and rain of toads has 50% IAS(ironically lol) built into it. so its like I am actually losing 24 mana regen per second.

do you guys have any plans to alter this? I mean i understand now that its intended. but it doesn't have to be forever right? I just feel like this is the one mechanic that is not ok with me because I look at every other class and im freaking jealous. I want to stack IAS. as it stands im going to break 200kdps without IAS. but if I think about it and I could stack it without going OOM too fast, I can easily break 250 or more.

other suggestions- grasp of the dead- please make wider area.

also when i use grave injustice with hex or grasp of the dead, it makes the other one disappear.
Can we make a change that lets us not be locked into the 4 piece zuni set just for mana regen?

Also, you have buffed monks skills to make them attractive. it was nice to have wave of light do so much damage because i used it before the buff. But in reality, for PVE, we all use bears. all of us. this should be a flag to buff other skills, or make them better somehow. bears do 236% each. so 708% if all 3 hit one target(WD's know what im taking about, corner attacks)
wave of light now does 900%, rend now does over 900%.
Give me something that out does zombie bears. Make me have such a hard decision that ask myself, "zombie bears or dire bats???" this should be the question. bats needs a buff. I spammed bats from the moment I got them until I hit inferno and had to change to bears.

I will say that i run a spirit build when I farm mp5 or lower. because I spam horrify with stalker, and use grave injustice to just move really really fast with jaunt. but in higher mp's where i farm normally(6-8) its not gonna happen.
also in pvp it owns most things. except ridiculous barbs that hit and run. thats about what it can't handle.

before monster power, i used to have a kite build because inferno was ridiculous. I would use wall of zombies. that skill is no longer something I even think about until now.

I want to say that I really liked this last patch for the simple fact that its the first step AWAY from the AH and RMAH. not having to farm for legendaries so i can sell them so i can buy what i need is a nice feeling.
Thank you for your time. this game has come a long way from what it was at the start
Reply Quote
View profile
your gear is very reasonable to find on your own these days and craft easily.. and the game is not nearly as hard as it was many patches ago

that is why the AH is dead.. it isn't really needed anymore unless someone is really impatient or wants some godly item that you dont really need anymore

Assuming you are still talking about my WD, yeah those items could probably be obtained in a few hundred hours if you are playing self-found, which you obviously are in your hypothetical dead AH scenario. It might take longer though, I've only found 1 zuni chest, 1 zuni helm, 2 BT pants, 1 U. serpent and I have quite a lot of farming under my belt. It would be much faster, however, to save up a little gold and use the AH to buy a similar set
Reply Quote
View profile
I would like to see Blizzard open up the gear more. Different gear with different affixes. It doesn't have to be more powerful then the crafted stuff, but why have only one set that a WD can use in upper MP?
Do you want more mana regen, or mana on hit? Put it on new set items or legendaries. Why or why do we just have the one high MP Zuni set? Open up the gear and give all classes two or three high MP sets that favor different builds. I mean how hard is that to do?
Any skill can be buffed with gear. Make the gear more varied, with more worth while buffs. Brain storm the new sets to play into certain builds. We have already heard from one game designer playing a WD, I'm sure blizzard receives all kinds of ideas from its many play testers.
You opened up some crafting for the low to mid geared player, now give some better gear to those of us that want to play high MP.
Reworking worthless skills would be a big help, but without some well thought out gear changes, this game is going to smack into a brick wall. Keep the game exciting. Release the new gear you must be sitting on.
Reply Quote
I would like to see Blizzard open up the gear more. Different gear with different affixes. It doesn't have to be more powerful then the crafted stuff, but why have only one set that a WD can use in upper MP?
Do you want more mana regen, or mana on hit? Put it on new set items or legendaries. Why or why do we just have the one high MP Zuni set? Open up the gear and give all classes two or three high MP sets that favor different builds. I mean how hard is that to do?
Any skill can be buffed with gear. Make the gear more varied, with more worth while buffs. Brain storm the new sets to play into certain builds. We have already heard from one game designer playing a WD, I'm sure blizzard receives all kinds of ideas from its many play testers.
You opened up some crafting for the low to mid geared player, now give some better gear to those of us that want to play high MP.
Reworking worthless skills would be a big help, but without some well thought out gear changes, this game is going to smack into a brick wall. Keep the game exciting. Release the new gear you must be sitting on.

^^^^ This

The thing that is going to keep people playing this game for 5 years is the ability to customize builds. For WD, for example, there should be almost everything on the table -- from a pure passive pets build to a very active in-your-face bats/bears build and everything inbetween.

I would love to see SOOO many more build in this game that are viable -- everything from melee DH to a ranged Barb (weapons throw, earthquake, etc.) . It would make an already good game great.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 07:39 PMPosted by TopStock
I will say that i run a spirit build when I farm mp5 or lower. because I spam horrify with stalker, and use grave injustice to just move really really fast with jaunt. but in higher mp's where i farm normally(6-8) its not gonna happen.

why in the world would you farm with a WD at a level you cant use GI to fly with?

my normal farm mp is 8. and because i can. sometimes, when i want to farm braindead or have 15 minutes, ill drop down to 5 and mow things down in 2 seconds or less.
again, because i can. whats the point of having around 200k dps if im not gonna flex it in game? you think im working on dps to not farm high mps? what sense does that make.
Reply Quote
Glad this got picked up by CM at last however this thread http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6494359418?page=1 was made long before 1.0.7 also all the posts we have made about items and about questions to the dev team all ignored, it's nice that someone has finally taken a look at the WD section.

GJ on making the post OP I know they're a pain to write and CMs and Devs I just wish the EU side had CMs who actually interacted with the community (which most believe is their job) we as the WD community just want to be acknowledged and know that people are listening to us.
Edited by Fean#2616 on 2/26/2013 1:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
honestly, the WD in general needs some real DPS increases across the board.

you can dump a ton into a charactor, and not even be able to farm MP5 efficiently, and after that your funneled into 2 skills, zombie bears, or zero cooldown - and if neither of those suit your play style, enjoy the low MPs.

theres too many low DPS skills, and mana costs are way too high, and when you spec for mana regen skills, you basically kill off the fun skills.

but I guess you can say that about most classes really.
wizards only have archon and CM, barbs only have hota and WW, monks only have sweeping wind.... and sweeping wind, and WD's are pretty much locked into zombie bears, or zero cool down.

to really make any class fun again, they need to make waaaay more skills fun again, and viable all the way to MP10 should you ever get the gold for that.
currently, it feels like I can dump another 10 billion into my WD and never even come close to farming MP10 as well as a monk or wiz can, and thats extremely disheartening cause it leaves me feeling like theres no options left for progression.
Reply Quote
View profile
02/26/2013 01:02 AMPosted by Fean
Glad this got picked up by CM at last however this thread http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6494359418?page=1 was made long before 1.0.7 also all the posts we have made about items and about questions to the dev team all ignored, it's nice that someone has finally taken a look at the WD section.

Don't think they aren't reading your posts. After all, it was because of you we were able to get our guide stickied. Hang in there, and hopefully the devs will start taking notice of our class again. You are doing a great job with your board in the EU. They will take notice of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]