For PvP balance, i think it's totally impossible to have a game with Pve and Pvp balanced with common value. So the only way is to make 2 different value : 1 for Pvp and 1 for Pve. The only thing that could remain is the core properties of skills, damage should be different. For instance, haunt is Dot, follow ennemy and jumps to another one when the target dies. In Pve it does 100%/sec, in Pve it does 50%/sec. So basically : 2 different balance.
For stacking :
The only reason i can see to allow Dot to stack would be 2 WD using the same Dot. Maybe they could be effective both at the same time on the same mob. But, for balance with other class, it should be the same for every one, so for the barb shouts (+armor one) or the monk mantra. I don't think it's a good way to promote diversity on builds : it's far better to make people have a little tought on what they can do to be more effective with using different skills when they play in team.
For haunt specifically :
My opinion is that this skill is not there for damage at first. It is an utility skill that is suppose to support you when casting something else. That something should be less efficient (or even impossible) without using haunt. Moreover it's a single target skill, so it should be efficient with 1 target.
I think it should be compared and opposed to Locust. Locust does damage but is not so supporting, Haunt does support but does not so much damage. Locust is great against numbers, Haunt is great against 1 opponent.Choose your preference.
So with that ideas in mind, i would do the following change on haunt :
- Only 1 haunt available (casting 2 haunt will erase the first one)
- When target dies, haunt jumps to another target and timer is reset to 0 sec
- Up the duration to 10-12 sec without changing current dam/sec
- Up the rune effect (life regen : +900/sec, mana regen : +60/sec, damage rune : reduce duration to 3-4 sec/sec without reducing global damage, reduce movement : also reduce attack speed by 30%)
- Change the only rune left to a boost of armor or to an armor type rune (casting haunt automatically, durate 20 sec, sending you back 1/4 or less of everything haunt can do exept damage - life, mana, regen, slow movement. The goal being to give the option between specialized but huge utility on 1 thing and general but weak utility on everything).
Here we got a nice utility Dot which supports us very effectively but only damage 1 target.
Let's follow with Locust to give an element of comparaison :
- Up the damage to 1120% (same as basic rend of barb => 140%/sec)
- Make it jump faster
- Change to rune
Pestilence => dunno
Devouring => gives back 37 mana each time a target takes damage (so basically each tick gives you back 37 mana per target) OR gives back 1-2% of your mana pool each time a target takes damage
Cloud => just precise the up of total damage on tooltip (duration up to 10 sec = total damage up to 1400%)
Diseased swarm => ennemies killed while under effect of locust explode. Each explosion does 100% damage to every ennemies in a 12 yards area
Searing => up the damage to 1400% damage (same as rend with damage rune)
Here we got a deadly damage Dot that shines when there are a lot of ennemies but is not so usefull against 1 opponent.
Edited by Neurf#2558 on 3/17/2013 6:33 AM PDT