Diablo® III

Assist a fledgling strafing demon hunter?

So I hit a point of gearing my witch doctor where upgrades are astronomically priced...

I decided to gear up my DH and try out this strafe build. I'm having an absolute BLAST (most fun I've had in this game, for sure!)

I was wondering if I could get some gearing suggestions for my next upgrades? I feel a tad squishy in mp 1. For the most part elites and trash are easy. Molten and reflect damage (I think trail of cinders is causing the issue with RD) seem to be the biggest issues. Is the answer simply to get more hp?
Reply Quote
well, a little more vit will bump your eHP, and your all res looks nice. Also, change smoke screen for shadow power: gloom. It will help you a lot, just remember to activate shadow power before strafing. For some reason, life steal is only taken in account when you start channeling. Some people even say that when shadow power wears off, the life steal continues as long as you keep strafing, just like snapshot monks.
Reply Quote
no gems in your helm or weapon?

Make sure you use gloom (shadow power). You should kill reflect elite packs in one Gloom cycle or less.

Be smart about fighting the reflects/molten, don't run through the trails if you can help it, pop gloom and THEN SS after a 2-3 seconds to get 1 full second of full life-regain at the tail end of your gloom cycle.

Consider a vit Mempo, they aren't too expensive, maybe 8-10m tops
Reply Quote
I changed in gloom shadow power, and molten/rd are no longer issues.

I also changed up the gearing a little bit. I went for 4p nat instead of mempo and inna pieces. I think I'll have to get cc on the ring/helm and maybe a new weapon to get over 100k dps. I might drop the SOJ though...
Reply Quote
OK, been playing throughout the day.

Overall, very solid. I'd like to speed up elite kills, but that's gotta be just dps upgrades.

I am noticing that in some areas I am having a hard time keeping hatred up. I don't think I've stacked too much ias (I see many strafers using inna pant + mempo). Is it just that my damage is too low?

What would be best to upgrade damage? Drop RA from helm for CC? Should I go for a 2 os manticore with some LoH (or a 1200+ dps 1 soc one)?
Reply Quote
If you farming MP0, then I think you could sacrifice that All Res on your helm for some Crit Chance.

I would upgrade the following items on your char: Pants, Amulet, and Nat's ring.

Amulet - try and get one with similar stats to your current, but with >25average damage as well.

Pants - get some Archon Pants or Depth Diggers with stats similar to mine (i.e. 150+ Dex and Vit, 2 sockets, Res All).

Nat's ring - how big is your budget? ;) I would try to get at least 1 random damage stat (e.g., I got one with Average Damage, armor, and vit).
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 1/28/2013 10:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
OK, been playing throughout the day.

Overall, very solid. I'd like to speed up elite kills, but that's gotta be just dps upgrades.

I am noticing that in some areas I am having a hard time keeping hatred up. I don't think I've stacked too much ias (I see many strafers using inna pant + mempo). Is it just that my damage is too low?

What would be best to upgrade damage? Drop RA from helm for CC? Should I go for a 2 os manticore with some LoH (or a 1200+ dps 1 soc one)?

I'd suggest dropping prep and ToC, and picking up Fan of Knives. That should help on your elites kill time.

At around 100k DPS you should have no more then about 1.5 APS, and 100k DPS should be pretty much enough to not run out of hatred. If you're running out of hatred at that DPS, it's most likely becasue you are trying to force your clears to be 'too clean'. Like in situations where there's 1 mob left after a strafe volley, or a couple stray mobs it's best to just vault past them if you aren't at full hatred.

I wrote up a thread about Strafe (demolition) here, including a video of 70m exp/hour with only slightly higher DPS then where you're at:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7764616512
Reply Quote
I have 1.55 aps, which I don't think should break the build. I am saving up some gold right now for upgrades. I am going to get a nice 150 dex, 2os, 200 vit and like 60 ra pants first, just to boost my ehp a lot so I can get Tactical Advantage. Then I'll upgrade my Ammy/Nat ring for some more dps until I can afford a cc/ra nat helm. Really striving to get to 100k+ dps.

I switched out prep for the Fan of Knives, and ToC for Tumble. Noticeable difference in overall run time already.

Is LoH necessary on the weapon?
Reply Quote
You are off to a good start.

1) Your eHP seems fine tbh... Take a look at my gear, right about the same as you in terms of eHP and I don't die ever (ok random green fatty explosion guy does happen...). I only use Gloom right before i engage an elite pack (really only RD ones need it, but im too lazy to check most times). Make sure you hit Shadow Power BEFORE you Strafe, and you will be fine. NO you don't need LoH or Life Steal!

2) Hate to say it, but drop the Nat's ring for a 6-7%CC to Strafe SoJ. You are running 3 piece Nats without the ring (which is what i would recommend) so the ring doesn't do much except slow down your killing potential vs. elites and you lose a TON of CC with Strafe.

3) You need Tactical Advantage! Drop Perfectionist.

4) TianZi's post and videos are a great resource. I currently run the 100% MS rune on Strafe because I can kill fast enough with it, but i recommend Demo until you hit 150k DPS (while wearing an SoJ).

5) Your attack speed is just fine, remember that its better to kill 80% of the mobs in an area and keep moving forward than running in circles to get all of them dead before moving on.

6) Crit Chance is your best friend with this build. The more you crit, the more disc you get back to keep on vaulting, and crits one shot most/all white mobs at your dps. Also, a Crit on an elite with FoK(with SoJ!) should just about drop them in one hit. Nats helm with 5-6% CC on it can be found pretty cheap. I prefer Pickup Radius too, but those can be tough to find.

7) Speaking of Pickup Radius, I'd recommend it on 3 pieces of gear. All that gold that you would have otherwise missed adds up fast, not to mention the health globes. This really speeds up your runs.

Hope this helps, soon I will be selling off my Strafe gear just to keep the game fresh (I fear once i hit plvl 100 I will lose interest), but it has been worth it scouring the AH for those pieces that really make this build tick!
Reply Quote
I might be selling off my Witch Doctor (hit a gear threshold of 500m a slot now for upgrades...). I am not planning on dropping several hundred mil into my dh, but I would like to get 100-110k dps unbuffed at least.

I do have pur on 2 pieces, I would like one more (though the 1.07 boost in pur might be enough) just because I'm used to 20 on my WD.

I only have 30k health, I'd like to get at LEAST 35k. 40k would be ideal.
Reply Quote
Put about 20 levels into the DH and I'm absolutely loving it.

I know my upgrades are a ways away...goals include a new Manticore, avg damage + ra nat ring, inna pants/belt with ra so I can get nice dex/vit/cc bracers, and definitely a new amulet. Oh, and probably a new pair of nat boots with vit. Stuff to work towards at least. :) I could easily afford this if I sold the WD...still thinking about it.

I am having hatred issues every now and then. Usually when I strafe through a string of monsters with 0 health globes dropped. I'm assuming that higher dps will help reduce the actual time strafing, thus saving hatred at this point?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]