Diablo® III

In hind sight..Is going for High EHP a waste?

So from all the stories about PvP..........it seems even with really higher EHP people are getting one and two shotted? From what i gather........... one main driving force for high EHP was to be prepared for PvP. Let me ask the Sword and boarders out there. Was it worth it? It seems that High EHP might have big diminishing returns after a certain point. I could be wrong and Im not stating this as fact, but I am reconsidering trying to upgrade anymore in regards to EHP as seems like in PVP its not really doing anything assuming you have a decent base of lets say 60K Health and above.
Reply Quote
I think you'd need to have ridiculously high EHP to notice much of a difference, somewhere near the 19mil mark the top guys have, but who knows.

Still a massive supporter of just redirecting everybody's high damage.
Reply Quote
View profile
BigBaller,

download PTR and do a practice duel so you would exactly know what needs to be changed in your barb, PVP theorycrafting is not going to work if you haven't really tried it. So upgrades for PVP is case to case basis and will depends on your build and opponent.

Nike
Reply Quote
BigBaller,

download PTR and do a practice duel so you would exactly know what needs to be changed in your barb, PVP theorycrafting is not going to work if you haven't really tried it. So upgrades for PVP is case to case basis and will depends on your build and opponent.

Nike

Nike I plan to. But that does not answer the question. I am sure there are many already that have formulated their opinions. I am interested in what people with extremely High EHP have to say. I have 1.1 million, I dont consider that high vs people who focus on EHP, but I consider my barb very well balanced. I am just wondering if there are any EHP advocates that have tested PvP and are now regretting they put such an emphasis on it. I do not want to waste more gold if unnecessary. Its just from all the reports I have seen, its not doing much. At least at this time.
Edited by BigBaller#1318 on 1/16/2013 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
BigBaller,

Nike

Nike,

We theory crafted correctly, I'm guessing your doing fine as well.

1 or 2 shot? What???? Must have been playing newb DH's and WD's.

-BALLER
Reply Quote
View profile
BigBaller,

Nike

Nike I plan to. But that does not answer the question. I am sure there are many already that have formulated their opinions. I am interested in what people with extremely High EHP have to say. I have 1.1 million, I dont consider that high vs people who focus on EHP, but I consider my barb very well balanced. I am just wondering if there are any EHP advocates that have tested PvP and are now regretting they put such an emphasis on it. I do not want to waste more gold if unnecessary. Its just from all the reports I have seen, its not doing much. At least at this time.

Ok, with my level of EHP about 7M buffed i can take any damages from DH or Monk and can tank them pretty good. However if you are fighting against a barb having a very high EHP doesn't really help too much if you have low DPS, no fury, WOTB on cooldown etc. (When your opponent has WOTB INSANITY)

Also i didnt regret that i put emphasis on my 4.6M because i have 140k unbuffed DPS to go with it which can defintely hit hard and 1-2 shot anyone, however if i have 0 fury, WOTB on cooldown then i get to die as well unless i run like ##%%@@! which is not my style, if i have to die then i have to die to refill my health.

i must say go for at least 2M EHP and 130k+DPS.

Everything is not yet final for now and i honestl'y don't think this will go live 100%, they should at least reduce the damages, and once they did, EHP Guys with DPS with good tactics will have a very good advantage.
Edited by Nikeboy1984#6661 on 1/16/2013 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

I don't have that high of EHP but I've played with some who has (Nikeboy, Iria's Lorax, FriendlyFade etc). And I have to say with the exception of WOTB-Insanity combined with HOTA-Smash, EHP does help. It's still very early in the PTR now and we won't know how Bliz will change it. Why not just hold off any upgrades till we can know better. Testing out your barb on PTR will give u a much better idea.
Reply Quote
I don't know if you've tried the PTR yet but from a barb POV in PVP, EHP is king. I just threw on a Stormshield with high block and used as many defensive passives as I could. My DPS was like 140k buffed, but at least I could take a barrage from 200k DPS demon hunters (yes several of them) at once and stay alive long enough to apply a rend at their !@# and watch them melt away helplessly.

You really don't need that much DPS in PVP to 1-2 shot people. I could still 1 shot monks and barbs with the SnB getup.

Just bought a 9.5% CC high block Stormshield on the live servers for 35mil. I'd suggest everyone grab one soon because prices have gone up since the release of the PTR.
Reply Quote
View profile
BigBaller,

Nike

Nike,

We theory crafted correctly, I'm guessing your doing fine as well.

1 or 2 shot? What???? Must have been playing newb DH's and WD's.

-BALLER

Yeah man im doing fine on standup fights i just need to learn what skill sets do best on every opponent which im still lacking now, i have to say we built our barbs correctly, and if blizz reduce the damage then it will be an big advantage on us because we can take and tank more damages while hitting them hard as well.

btw, i haven't tried 2Hander's yet and I bet their rends using Skorn surely damn hurts. I might add DAKKON or Lord Joch if they want to practice.
Edited by Nikeboy1984#6661 on 1/16/2013 7:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
OT, but Baller (the one who posted directly above me), why do you use Frenzy as primary, instead of Bash - Punish? Just curious.
Reply Quote
Well, I just did the PTR dueling with my gear from September. I can tell you right now, EHP is a huge aspect to dueling; if you're going to get CC locked, you'll need to be able to absorb damage if you want time to give it back. Anyone who says that the game is about burst damage is wrong. You need a mix of life-regen and very high damage mitigation.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test my own gear until I can copy. I just tried and it copied over nothing. So I need to wait three days.
Reply Quote
View profile
01/16/2013 07:40 PMPosted by acrimony
Anyone who says that the game is about burst damage is wrong. You need a mix of life-regen and very high damage mitigation.

+1000
Reply Quote
Actually I'm killing like everyone on the PTR. I haven't had a single enemy I couldn't defeat. My EHP are around 8 mil with 48% dodge (warcry + sprint) and with only 34% block (lanterns lower my true EHP, so no thx). My DPS are around 40k, enough to kill some glasscannons with one hit. I got killed from glasscannons too. But most duels I had yet were strongly balanced and I killed glasscannons as often as glasscannons killed me. But not in one hit, no, some fights were going over minutes.

There is an awesome balance between DPS and EHP. The more DPS anyone has, the less EHP he has. The key is to find the right balance between them.

Here is a short video of my barb, killing some monks and getting killed from a crazy wizard with 2.6k lifereg. But he got what he deserved at the end. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHDH8Cuo8Cg

PvP is absolutely awesome. Just get some EHP gear and you will love it too.
Edited by Quabbe#2336 on 1/16/2013 8:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 07:49 PMPosted by Nikeboy1984
Anyone who says that the game is about burst damage is wrong. You need a mix of life-regen and very high damage mitigation.

+1000

This guy knows what's up.

I just found it hilarious that my gear from September allowed me to keep it 50/50 in every fight. Only one guy gave me trouble and he has superb gear. ToxicAU IIRC.

EHP FTW.
Reply Quote
I would like to take a moment to bask in the knowledge that I, acrimony, after months and months of being trolled, criticised, and roundly scoffed at, have been vindicated about the necessity of EHP in the arena.

Suck my exceptionally large e-pen1s, gentlemen.
Reply Quote
I would like to take a moment to bask in the knowledge that I, acrimony, after months and months of being trolled, criticised, and roundly scoffed at, have been vindicated about the necessity of EHP in the arena.

The sad thing is, most people don't even know what EHP is or how large the percentage of reduced dmg from AR, armor and some other stats in reality is.
Reply Quote

The sad thing is, most people don't even know what EHP is or how large the percentage of reduced dmg from AR, armor and some other stats in reality is.

There are many players who have been building their characters with an emphasis on balancing both damage and EHP; mostly duel-wielders and S&Bs. Just hilarious that there are Barbarians crying over their inability to pose a threat because they don't know if E comes before H and P.
Reply Quote
the barbs with high eHP took a lot longer for me to kill on my DH. The real issue that the barbs seem to be having is that they seem to get kited all day, or worse yet hexed by a WD and sit there until they die.
Reply Quote
I tried pvp with nike and some monks. If you had lower ehp like half of mine. You probably get kill by top monks in 1-2secs. Juggernaut helps alot in tanking and relentless. Without them, i can get killed in 2-3secs.

With a SS, juggernaut, relentless, its possible to last 5-6secs of pummel and run off unscathed sometimes. Inspiring prescence seems mediocre. Got to test out more.

Rend definately OP. no miss @ 100% hitrate. Monk hates them.
Wotb insanity give almost 100%win against monk i fought, but if have to use them when health is still high, But expect them to use their 1000palm skill, if you survive, they probably starts running once.
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 1/16/2013 8:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
^^ man you did good last night, though your fear and knockback irritates me a lot!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]