Diablo® III

How to Make Loot Fun - Potential of D3

(Locked)

TLDR:

Parallel progression made D2 feel rewarding for such a long time (finding items for other characters) and it is the only way to really motivate players.

Increase the amount of upgrades players find but reduce their strength by splitting the gearupgrading process into many small sections.
Don't make me rename into "Salvation of Diablo herpaderp"...
As to why all these things are supposed to be boa:

Selling things on the auction house creates a kill deficit. Meaning you can get a certain strength in your equip after just 1000 kills through the auction house that you would otherwise need 100.000 kills for. If you ever want to make upgrades on your own you will have to make up this kill deficit of 99.000 kills befor you can find upgrades for yourself again. If you had not bought anything from the auction house you would find upgrades on the entire journey to the 100.000 kills. But by using the AH you start right away with an equip worth 100.000 kills while you only had 1.000 kills.
Give at least the Imbues a try! Whoever played Titan Quest up to the high levels knows how ridiculously addicting and fun it is to enhance your own items and choose how good the crafts can get by choosing how much time you invest in it.

Split progress in many small steps instead of a single big one!
OP was right in that Titan Quest 's (Immortal Throne expansion) crafting / relic hunting was a massive farming carrot. Further, certain spells, relics and other bits could be combined into extremely powerful artefacts - many of which are needed to craft even higher tier artefacts! It was almost impossible to find all the pieces yourself.

It wasn't complex. It just took time, and the rewards were always worth it.

TQ is an old game, which came out long before Torchlight (I think). Surely... surely... DIII should have had a system at least as engaging as TQ's.

Oh wait. D3 has nothing of the sort.

And that's not even talking about creating character builds for TQ, specifically the skill tree combinations you could choose. Even Path of Exile looks a bit lame in comparison.

OK OK, I'm a TQ fanboy.
OP was right in that Titan Quest 's (Immortal Throne expansion) crafting / relic hunting was a massive farming carrot. Further, certain spells, relics and other bits could be combined into extremely powerful artefacts - many of which are needed to craft even higher tier artefacts! It was almost impossible to find all the pieces yourself.

It wasn't complex. It just took time, and the rewards were always worth it.

TQ is an old game, which came out long before Torchlight (I think). Surely... surely... DIII should have had a system at least as engaging as TQ's.

Oh wait. D3 has nothing of the sort.

And that's not even talking about creating character builds for TQ, specifically the skill tree combinations you could choose. Even Path of Exile looks a bit lame in comparison.

OK OK, I'm a TQ fanboy.

Titan Quest had a lot of flaws still. But yeah it had a few really great ideas like relics and artifacts. I even made an Ares' Blood artifact all by myself!!!

Artifacts were an entire slot dedicated to crafting the item you put in there. The later versions of the game required tons of preperation for and tons of farming and still had the chance to come out crappy.
90 Human Warlock
Dwelve,

Great work, although I didn't read every word from your original post, I did spend probably 20 minutes on it. I think adding more elements to the crafting/loot system would be a good way to keep people busy and limit the amount of letdown associated with all the trash drops.

+1
Dwelve,

Great work, although I didn't read every word from your original post, I did spend probably 20 minutes on it. I think adding more elements to the crafting/loot system would be a good way to keep people busy and limit the amount of letdown associated with all the trash drops.

+1

Yes, It's all about allowing players to progress in many tabs at the same time. People enjoyed finding items in D2 that didn't even made their character stronger, but they made twinks better and so it still felt rewarding. Working towards multiple craftable sets or runes or imbues or jewels or charms would still feel rewarding even if your character doesn't need them at the moment.
What are you guys thinking about the whole "items can not be repaired of 2+ sockets" thing? Would ensure people keep looking for blue/white items and make durability and sturdiness affixes from jewels really very interesting.
Parallel progression ! Important !

THIS is the most lackluster principle about Diablo 3 at the moment. Currently there are to few carrots to chase. Parallel progression means we improve on multiple aspects simultaneously. The current game SHOULD allow to always make small steps of improvement no matter in what direction we are going. But there aren´t enough tabs to progress in. Currently there are:

- Paragon levels: Every time you kill anything you gain XP
- Gem upgrades: On every kill you have the possibility to find a gem and move closer to the "gem-limit". Per gem slot you will need 729 gems of the same type. It´s like a second XP bar that increases by 1 every time a needed gem drops.
- Items (Screen-DPS): The most important tab of progression, but also the one that has the biggest problem. Items that are found at the moment don´t have "character". People are not searching for new boots, for a new weapon or for a new ring. They look for an overall + in the DPS screen. Sometimes it feels like there is only one item-slot called the "DPS-Screen"-charslot. This was done better in Diablo 2 where people explicitly looked for white items to fill the weapon slot and then put a check on that slot and tried to improve the other ones.
- Knowledge: When unexperienced people gain new informations on every run. Identifying which events to skip, what the map layout looks like and how to fight certain monsters, etc.

Well sumarised and most important part of your thought.
Edited by Rootsmann#2838 on 4/5/2013 5:40 AM PDT
04/05/2013 05:38 AMPosted by Rootsmann
Well sumarised and most important part of your thought.

I'll put it at the start of the post, thanks!

P.S. ALL of my thoughts are superimportant, how dare you thinking otherwise.
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 4/5/2013 7:37 AM PDT
Loot will never be "fun" as long as there is an auction house.
04/05/2013 07:59 PMPosted by MattFoley
Loot will never be "fun" as long as there is an auction house.

Finding things will always be fun. It even goes to the extreme of D2 where people didn't find loot for the characters they played but for characters they wanted/intended to play. Even if they never started playing these new characters they had fun finding these items.

You should give the "Imbues" section a try. It's the best example of how to split progression into many small steps and let the player feel rewarded.

Edit. Lylirra is supercute!
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 4/9/2013 6:58 AM PDT
11. Example:
Imbue of efficiency:
- Parts drop from all monsters in areas with beefy monsters
- Can imbue shields
- 4 Parts
- 1%-3% Increased resource gain, 2-11 Strength (Min: 4% IRG, 8 Str; Max: 12 IRG, 44 Str)
- Completion bonus: Increases resource cap by 1%-20%. Every time you generate 50% of your resource Limit you heal yourself for 100%-1000% of your Strength
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 4/9/2013 7:27 AM PDT
Working on remaking the jewel and charm section, tell me what you dislike / dont understand about it!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]