Diablo® III

How to Make Loot Fun - Potential of D3

(Locked)

01/29/2013 02:32 PMPosted by Wolverine
Crafting-Yes and no. Upgrades to interface + getting rid of materials froom inventory are good. But, currently its just salvage X items to roll X items. I beleive it should sway more towards NEEDING better materials to get items. Also I disagree with X items. Should be 1 item.

Hmpf we aren't going to meet a consensus on this one are we? ^^

How would you change the acquisition and spending of crafting materials? A little more detailed would be quite nice. Maybe we can learn from each other :P.

To be honest at the beginning the idea was a little bit different but i scratched it.

Depending on act items would have a chance to have a certain property added to them (not an affix, just an addition in it's name e.g. "chest of the sands" in act 2) and only those would be salvagable instead of every item. Could allow for some more diverse crafting materials and make players farm all acts.
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 1/29/2013 6:25 PM PST
Aquisition would be kind of the current system where rares get you one type and legendaries get you another.
Spending: I would start by suggesting all ready having base stats, but they have a wide margin. Like you know you're gonna get 1-6% critical hit chance? Then adding some random affixes. You could have maybe many different types of affixes to choose from. (Not specific, just general templates?) And you get better templates with better resources.
OR increasing number of reasources you use gives you a better chance for higher stats? And have diminishing returns? I think that that's important to include: I can spend as much resources as I want to ensure that I get that 6%, or at least close.

Creating X number of items actually looks pretty attractive now because... you are giving yourself a chance to get something good, yet keeping the options wide. I still dislike this though, because you can just craft with lower level materials and over time achieve the same result.

Maybe I'm trying too much to fill the role of socketing items... well actually that system is completely lacking in variety right now.

And yes, possibly have certain materials to enhance crafting... Maybe have specific ingredients for specific templates?
Edited by Wolverine#1833 on 1/29/2013 7:02 PM PST
01/29/2013 07:01 PMPosted by Wolverine
Spending: I would start by suggesting all ready having base stats, but they have a wide margin. Like you know you're gonna get 1-6% critical hit chance? Then adding some random affixes. You could have maybe many different types of affixes to choose from. (Not specific, just general templates?) And you get better templates with better resources.

So how many affixes do you chose from? Just one?

01/29/2013 07:01 PMPosted by Wolverine
OR increasing number of reasources you use gives you a better chance for higher stats? And have diminishing returns? I think that that's important to include: I can spend as much resources as I want to ensure that I get that 6%, or at least close.

This sounds very much like an MMO. You go out and grind and afterwards you just create 1 item and it has everything you need. Is that really so much better? Because let's not fool ourselves, everybody is going to make that perfect item.
Another issue is how costly are you going to make it? Let's say an affix has a range of 1-70. So the perfect version has a fixed value of 70. The perfect rolled one would have to cost at least 70 times as much to justify the existence of the rolling recipe. If you add another 4 affixes things might get really scary really fast.

Edit: Why didn't you like the ember, anthracite and cyan recipes?
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 1/30/2013 5:18 AM PST
Well i'm just throwing ideas out there. And the item crafted doesn't necessarily have to be OP. Or it could just be really hard to get the max tier. like 10/10 would be .5% with minimal. Okay ill just make an equation: chance of top tier stat (in %)= 8(# of resource - 10) ^ (1/3); when minimun # of resources = 10.

When did I say I didn't like those?

I also wonder why more poeple aren't posting on this thread.
Edited by Wolverine#1833 on 1/30/2013 11:50 AM PST
Creating X number of items actually looks pretty attractive now because... you are giving yourself a chance to get something good, yet keeping the options wide. I still dislike this though, because you can just craft with lower level materials and over time achieve the same result.Maybe I'm trying too much to fill the role of socketing items... well actually that system is completely lacking in variety right now.

What do you think about the socketing section?

I mean the difference between creating sockets for yellow, white and blue items and the difference between normal, character, elemental and affix jewels?

But yeah i'm stuck on this crafting materials section. It's intention is to create these "wow, wtf" moments when you create 7 or 10 items at once. Even if those aren't upgrades it might feel cool to just have rolled really lucky. Maybe reduce the differentiation to just two versions of materials might help.
that was crazy. did we just post at the sam time?
Well i'm just throwing ideas out there. And the item crafted doesn't necessarily have to be OP. Or it could just be really hard to get the max tier. like 10/10 would be .5% with minimal. Okay ill just make an equation: chance of top tier stat (in %)= (# of resource - 10) ^ (1/3); when minimun # of resources = 10.When did I say I didn't like those?I also wonder why more poeple aren't posting on this thread.

Ahh do you mean like a slider that allows you to just dump everything you have into that specific recipe? That's a quite unique approach. I have yet to figure out if i like this or not ^^

People not posting is an "understandable" behaviour seeing how many words are being used in this thread ^^. I got flamd on reddit, so i guess this is still an upgrade :P.
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 1/30/2013 11:54 AM PST
01/30/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Wolverine
that was crazy. did we just post at the sam time?

I was wondering why you didn't reply so i reread your last post and you edited something... so i replied to that! ^^
Simple, you get creative with it. Im sure a lot of us BS with our friends in vent / skype whatever while playing and throw out ideas. They should be doing this.

My biggest gripe with this game is that you will hit a wall. Especially the HC players where AH prices are a lot higher for items that you could find for a few million on the SC AH.

Right now my real only hope is to either:

-get lucky and find an incredibly undervalued item on the AH
-Win the lottery and find a beast legendary / rare for myself (hasnt happened in a lonnng time)
-Find an awesome Legendary that will sell huge, thus allowing me to purchase upgrades. (Hasnt happened and I do 4-5 runs a day w/ friends)

It really comes down to just hunting for a good orange. Which gets dull quickly and frustrating when your identifying hundreds of yellows and getting nothing for yourself or that could make you some money. No runes, charms, high end gems, or 3 socket whites that you could turn into something amazing for yourself.

And the crafting system is useless.

Community relations have been handled poorly. They should be listening to what the players want and not about making Diablo 3 its own game. That failed. We are not all trolls, there are a lot of really good ideas on these forums and its not like Blizzard doesn't have the development money to make it happen.
Edited by StzA#1814 on 1/30/2013 12:02 PM PST
Simple, you get creative with it. Im sure a lot of us BS with our friends in vent / skype whatever while playing and throw out ideas. They should be doing this.

My biggest gripe with this game is that you will hit a wall. Especially the HC players where AH prices are a lot higher for items that you could find for a few million on the SC AH.

-Win the lottery and find a beast legendary / rare for myself (hasnt happened in a lonnng time)
-Find an awesome Legendary that will sell huge, thus allowing me to purchase upgrades. (Hasnt happened and I do 4-5 runs a day w/ friends)

It really comes down to just hunting for a good orange. Which gets dull quickly and frustrating when your identifying hundreds of yellows and getting nothing for yourself or that could make you some money. No runes, charms, high end gems, or 3 socket whites that you could turn into something amazing for yourself.

What kind of wall are you hitting? I'm playing the game completely selffound and i don't hit any walls at all. What walls are you trying to climb? Maybe don't try to go for the MP5 settings right as enter inferno.

Back in the days i farmed Hell act 4 for 2 weeks. And then act 1 for 1 month, before i could even think about setting a foot into act 2.

Your logic is really flawed when you say "i want to find charms, runes and white items that make me rich". If they are worth a lot then they are hard to find. It HAS to be that way.
Yes but he really shouldn't be hitting a wall at this point, is what he is saying. It is pretty sudden, too. Isn't that what you want with the forum? Is more things to do?

What kind of wall are you hitting? I'm playing the game completely selffound and i don't hit any walls at all. What walls are you trying to climb? Maybe don't try to go for the MP5 settings right as enter inferno.

Back in the days i farmed Hell act 4 for 2 weeks. And then act 1 for 1 month, before i could even think about setting a foot into act 2.

Your logic is really flawed when you say "i want to find charms, runes and white items that make me rich". If they are worth a lot then they are hard to find. It HAS to be that way.

Yes because as a HC toon I would jump right into MP5 inferno and live to talk to about it? How is that response even close to anything I mentioned. Nowhere in that post did i say I want everything now to make me rich. Runes and those things would make farming more fun, rather than just hoping for a orange or good yellow. "I want charms NOW TO MAKE ME RICH etc" doesnt appear in my post.

I was mostly talking about Hardcore btw

Look at my toon, I farmed A1 inferno for a long time, most people skip A2 and spend most of the time in A3, where I've been ever since. Occasionally might do a MP1 A3 but not quite there yet. Wouldnt you want to be able to look for more things besides the perfect piece of gear?
Edited by StzA#1814 on 1/30/2013 12:19 PM PST
When I look at the rare/magic/normal sockets, I think its a little overpowered. You just find a rare where the top stats are really good then socket it, then you make it even more OP by adding the stats of your choice. Besides, you should be able to find items that are all ready socketed, then you can add one or two via the jeweler.

I also disagree that they should be separate from gem sockets. What's the point? If you want to put a gem in, that's fine. Gems are supposed to be the steady guys - the ones whose stats aren't great, but they never change. Jewels are just to mix things up.But other than that, pretty good concepts n stuff.
Edited by Wolverine#1833 on 1/30/2013 12:14 PM PST
Yes because as a HC toon I would jump right into MP5 inferno and live to talk to about it? How is that response even close to anything I mentioned. Nowhere in that post did i say I want everything now to make me rich. Runes and those things would make farming more fun, rather than just hoping for a orange or good yellow. "I want charms etc" doesnt appear in my post.

01/30/2013 12:11 PMPosted by StzA
No runes, charms, high end gems, or 3 socket whites that you could turn into something amazing for yourself.

I missinterpreted that quote, but my point still stands. If you can get superawesome loot easily it is hard to keep players that play more entertained. They also still have to be able to find upgrades.

And again i have to ask: What wall are you hitting? If you farm act 4 hell for 2 weeks you WILL be able to work in act 1 inferno. If you farm that spot for 2 weeks you WILL be able to work in act 2 inferno. And soon you will be able to work in Mp1, Mp2 and even Mp3 if you really farm a lot. What more do you want?

Also this thread isn't about simply introducing new items or affixes. It is about making the loot more fun, through variation and creating multiple paths for upgrades and giving a use to every item drop. These suggestions are not intended to make the game easier.
I missinterpreted that quote, but my point still stands. If you can get superawesome loot easily it is hard to keep players that play more entertained. They also still have to be able to find upgrades.

And again i have to ask: What wall are you hitting? If you farm act 4 hell for 2 weeks you WILL be able to work in act 1 inferno. If you farm that spot for 2 weeks you WILL be able to work in act 2 inferno. And soon you will be able to work in Mp1, Mp2 and even Mp3 if you really farm a lot. What more do you want?

Also this thread isn't about simply introducing new items or affixes. It is about making the loot more fun, through variation and creating multiple paths for upgrades and giving a use to every item drop. These suggestions are not intended to make the game easier.

Talking about Hardcore, I dunno if this exists for SC because great items are alot cheaper on the AH.

Farmed A1 for weeks, felt comfortable so started joining my friends runs in A3 Inferno. Been there ever since. Occasionally we do an MP1 A3. This is where it seems a lot of HC players hit the wall. A lot of groups of ppl use our vent and everyone is saying the same thing. I'm not talking about doing one run in A1 and !@#$%ing and moaning. This is about 4-5 runs a day in A3 full clears, everyone has 200% MF or higher and simply just looking for that one incredible piece that eludes most players.

I do not want a super easy game either, but you got to give us something more than hoping for an orange or super rare lucky roll yellow. Tedious farming for weeks on end with nothing to show for it will lose players just as quick as a super easy game
Edited by StzA#1814 on 1/30/2013 12:26 PM PST
Okay yes we understand that you don't want to make the game easier but the thing is is that there is a lack of improving your character. Upgrading is rare. I will give you an example chart: Each number marks number of upgrades to items, each dash separates 10 hours of gameplay.
88 - 95 - 64 - 70 - 45 - 32 - 12 - 9 - 10 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - ect...

See how that curve is not the optimal way to go? We all ready discussed this on previous posts.

And this is more common than you think..
So amazing tread..... Rly hope some1 read this
Okay yes we understand that you don't want to make the game easier but the thing is is that there is a lack of improving your character. Upgrading is rare. I will give you an example chart: Each number marks number of upgrades to items, each dash separates 10 hours of gameplay. 88 - 95 - 64 - 70 - 45 - 32 - 12 - 9 - 10 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - ect...See how that curve is not the optimal way to go? We all ready discussed this on previous posts.And this is more common than you think..

Yes, but it very hard for me to say that this is not working as intended. The better the loot gets the rarer the chance for upgrades has to be. Of course you could just increase loot quality all together but what would that change? The only difference would be that people farm MP5 instead of MP1. It's not really "better", is it?
-_- totally missed my point. Making all items better is not what I'm asking. I'm saying that the curve is TERRIBLE. You're right, increasing loot quality all together will change nothing. But the player still needs an upgrade, or... why play? Yes it is true that at some point a character will need to hit a wall but you seem to have the perception that it's okay if it happens so early... It's not! Diablo 3 could do a much much better job.
01/30/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Wolverine
-_- totally missed my point. Making all items better is not what I'm asking. I'm saying that the curve is TERRIBLE. You're right, increasing loot quality all together will change nothing. But the player still needs an upgrade, or... why play? Yes it is true that at some point a character will need to hit a wall but you seem to have the perception that it's okay if it happens so early... It's not! Diablo 3 could do a much much better job.

I DO understand it don't worry. It's just this has never been an issue for me. I have played 300 hours on my monk (at a slow pace though) and i can still find upgades regularly.

At what point is it ok for your progress to stagnate? What would you suggest?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]