Diablo® III

How to Make Loot Fun - Potential of D3

(Locked)

02/17/2013 06:10 AMPosted by AaronY
Some interesting suggestions. I hope some one at blizzard takes them too hart. I para leveled 3 different character and at this point it is no longer fun for me to play anymore. The game gets better with each update. But at this point I think they need to radically make the loot that drops better or add an identify all button soon. I think I am going to hold out for one.

An identify all button would make you start playing again... really?
More jewelaffixes!!!

+ increases damage taken by target by 1 - 5% (these jewelaffixes stack with themselves multiplicatively)

Change to items with jewelsockets:

Items can not be repaired if they have more than 2 jewelsockets, but a new jewelaffix increases durability by up to 100. This makes it necessary to permanently look for great blue/white items.
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 2/17/2013 10:52 AM PST
10. Example:
Imbue of dedication:
- Parts drop in all areas that have ghost type monsters.
- Can imbue Belts, Boots
- 5 Parts
- 1-15 Dexterity, 1-15 Strength, 1-15 Intelligence (Min: 5 Dex/Str/Int; Max: 75 Dex/Str/Int)
- Completion bonus: Addiction: 1%-6% Increased Dex, Str or Int
You've got a lot of good ideas here!

This sounds fantastic... except: I have zero interest in crafting.

I want to get my item upgrades from monster drops. Not from the AH, and not from crafting.

OP has a lot of great ideas that would motivate me to farm different places. I like character progression in general though, and to me its not always about item progression.

If you have a philosophy that you'll never have a ladder reset or an item wipe, how do you balance item progression? Even if you get 20x better drops, you are going to run into a problem of relative item progression vs time. You are still going to run into a problem where its going to be extraordinarily rare to get an upgrade at some point. What will keep you playing? You still have a personal time limit that you are willing to play for an upgrade.

That's where OP's idea for parallel progression through comes in. That allows you the feel/see progress even if you aren't getting item upgrades.
You've got a lot of good ideas here!

This sounds fantastic... except: I have zero interest in crafting.

I want to get my item upgrades from monster drops. Not from the AH, and not from crafting.

OP has a lot of great ideas that would motivate me to farm different places. I like character progression in general though, and to me its not always about item progression.

If you have a philosophy that you'll never have a ladder reset or an item wipe, how do you balance item progression? Even if you get 20x better drops, you are going to run into a problem of relative item progression vs time. You are still going to run into a problem where its going to be extraordinarily rare to get an upgrade at some point. What will keep you playing? You still have a personal time limit that you are willing to play for an upgrade.

That's where OP's idea for parallel progression through comes in. That allows you the feel/see progress even if you aren't getting item upgrades.

People liked to find lowlvl uniques in D2 because it progressed their other characters. Even though the main character did not gain strength the perceived increase in strength felt rewarding. So yeah it's not only about one character getting stronger with every drop, but about the potential improvement in many possible paths (like crafting these sets) that really makes a player feel rewarded for playing.
The other approach is to split one single improvement into many small steps with imbues or jewels. If every jewel you find competes with 20 other jewels you already have, it is much easier to allow for upgrades than if it's chest A competing with chest B.

If you're only going to make 1 character on softcore for PvM only, obviously, the game will eventually come to an end for you. The purpose behind softcore itself is for people that don't want to lose their gear/progression which a ladder reset every 6 months destroys. Ya, I know people don't have to do the ladder, but it does cause a schism between ladder and nonladder. I'd rather they hold events like PoE does time to time to give people more to do, week long ladder races, cut-throat races. Add in something similar to Gears Of War Horde Mode, add Gladiator style PvP events where softcore or hardcore characters can compete to the death for a prize pool.

Back on topic....I like many of your ideas and of course agree they need to add more choice between stats but I do think they can go further. Instead of necessarily having X item remove all mana cost for teleport and still buff many other parts and become a no brainer for teleport users. They need items like Trang Ouls that change the way a class behaves/opens up further builds. Example 1, you might find a wand that changes curses to auras or auras to curses + a few other mods. Example 2, equipped shield creates a "vortex" around you that pulls in monsters within "x" range or have a shield that creates a "wave of force" every 10 seconds to keep you from being surrounded. Example 3, "Zann Esu's Orb", wizard only, grants user 1 of 3 skills, Frozen Orb, Apocalypse(from D1 baby), or Lightning Nova. It would open up new ways to build your character that are interesting and fun while also paying tribute to its previous installments. Might be hard to balance, might not be hard, but either way, I like it.
Edited by Utukka#1683 on 2/17/2013 12:56 PM PST
02/17/2013 12:54 PMPosted by Utukka
Back on topic....I like many of your ideas and of course agree they need to add more choice between stats but I do think they can go further. Instead of necessarily having X item remove all mana cost for teleport and still buff many other parts and become a no brainer for teleport users. They need items like Trang Ouls that change the way a class behaves/opens up further builds. Example 1, you might find a wand that changes curses to auras or auras to curses + a few other mods. Example 2, equipped shield creates a "vortex" around you that pulls in monsters within "x" range or have a shield that creates a "wave of force" every 10 seconds to keep you from being surrounded. Example 3, "Zann Esu's Orb", wizard only, grants user 1 of 3 skills, Frozen Orb, Apocalypse(from D1 baby), or Lightning Nova. It would open up new ways to build your character that are interesting and fun while also paying tribute to its previous installments. Might be hard to balance, might not be hard, but either way, I like it.

Teleport - imbue is available to all classes. But it competes with the other imbues on the itemslot.

The problem about these unique affixes you named is where to put them. You can't put them in the normal affixpool as it isn't suitable to these wonky affixes. If you put them on uniques it usually boils down to efficiency. If the wand deals less damage but has a cool effect, the effect has to make up for the dps deficit.

And i disagree to simply adding new abilities. Classes have enough abilities and balancing those should have higher priority than handing out new ones for the sake of nostalgia.
New rare jewelaffix:

Reduce cooldown of healthpotions by 1-3 seconds
Any ideas on how to create even more jewelaffixes going by the premise of "rewarding dedication"? Since jewels allow for such a great influence on items (since the player choses every affix himself) the probabilty of finding just what you want has to be very low.
Jewel affix:

+2-8% increased liferegen from all sources (multiplicatively)
Edited by Dwelve#1798 on 3/2/2013 6:37 AM PST
Mesmer-recipes:
These allow players completely forgo the current critchance and critdmg affixes by granting the player a damage bonus to runes. Items crafted with these recipes have NO critical chance and NO critical damage at all. They can not be imbued and can not be traded. Mesmer items can be created for the boots, hands, amulet and head-slot. They have 3 base affixes:
+ 100-250 Attribute
+ 30-60 All Resistance
+ a) Runeaffinity 5%-25% (90% chance) or b) Runaffinity 15%-30% (10% chance)
Runeaffinity increases the damage done by abilities using a specific runetype (obisidian, indigo, crimson, alabaster, golden) by x
Along with these set affixes there are another 4 affixes (excluding crit,critdmg):
1. + 2-7 pickup radius
2. random affix from the current affixtable
3. random affix from the current affixtable
4. random affix from the current affixtable
Additionally to the affix-roles the player can enchant crafted items to gain one ability that has a 1%-10% chance to be cast on hit (chackram,exploding palm,zombie charger,energy twister). Only the latest ability that has been put on works (if the player has more than one enchanted item).
Very well thought out and I like a lot of these ideas.

Well done, sir, well done.
03/02/2013 06:04 AMPosted by DeadRu
for example"mbue of celerity gives dodge, movespeed and teleport" I'm sorry that is not even a realistic idea. You just removed a basic skill value from a class. In D2 we had the Enignma but you had to do a lot to make a legit one. Ya many love this post, they love anything that is a gimmie.

In D2 you only did bossruns, that's why Enigma's teleport broke the game. In D3 a short teleport on a 40 sec cd isn't going to change anything at all. It's just a gimmick.
Also, by going for the teleport on the amulett you !@#$ up your chances of getting other usefull stuff on that slot.

And i'm not asking for a simple power increase for the player, it's about adding imbues which can have very unique affixes without %^-*ing up the regular rolled affixes on items.

03/02/2013 06:04 AMPosted by DeadRu
Then the op touchs on something that is just a rehash of the rune words. Does he actually believe Blizzard needs a tutorial on runewords. Of course ha don't have to deal with things like balance ect so it is easy to let the imagination run wild. it all sounds good until you put logic to it.

There is a reason why runewords are not in the game. Because they sucked. Why did they suck? Because it's impossible to just experiment and have fun with those. Even if you go nuts on experimenting the outcome has to be either ridiculously OP (enigma) or an absolutel wast (90% of the other runewords for this slot). The experimenting was not fun, so the player was FORCED to google for runewords and the reward was gargabe aswell, because after you completed a runeword it trivialized every other drop for that itemslot. So what was good about runewords? The constant progress. You could collect these and basicly you split the item you desired into many different smaller parts. The chance to finding these small parts could be higher, so it was rewarding to collect these and be rewarded lots of time instead of just ones like with rare items.
Jewel affix:

+2-10% increased liferegen from all resources (multiplicatively)

Time to put the cap back on the tube of glue!

You give up stats and the chance of getting the jewel with good affixes on the other slot are very small.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]