Diablo® III

Sweeping Wind bonus damage affix

Ok quick question for items like inna's radiance with % sweeping wind damage, let's say 10%, does it add 10% PER stack (total of 30% bonus, making it 75% damage) or a plain 10% overall (making it 55%)?

and no im not asking this cause i wanna do the SW exploit, i for one am not a fan of exploits, and i've never even tried it, nor am i planning on doing so. I heard it's getting patched up in 1.0.7, personally i hope it does, though to be honest it won't affect me at all.
Reply Quote
up
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 05:41 AMPosted by Deathonate
and no im not asking this cause i wanna do the SW exploit, i for one am not a fan of exploits, and i've never even tried it, nor am i planning on doing so. I heard it's getting patched up in 1.0.7, personally i hope it does, though to be honest it won't affect me at all.

I don't know the answer to your original question, but I noticed in your profile that you have both BW and FitL as your skills. Presumably, you are spamming those before you spam SW. If you are, then the 1.0.7 patch will affect you because the big FitL damage boost will no longer be snapshotted into the SW damage calculations. In other words, you may have been using the exploit whether you are aware of it or not.
Reply Quote
oh by exploit i meant the whole gear swap etc thing. yes i've heard the snapshotting will be patched but i have done mp10 uber runs and im not having any trouble at all
Reply Quote
It's a 10% bonus, and it's additive with other buff skills, as I recall (but only for SW).
Reply Quote
so just 10% overall huh. thought it was 10% per stack. that woulda been a lot lol
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Deathonate
so just 10% overall huh. thought it was 10% per stack. that woulda been a lot lol

i might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure it's not an additive 10%, but a multiplicative 10%

means level 3 SW does not 45%+10% = 55%, but rather 45%*1.10 = 49.5%
Reply Quote
i might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure it's not an additive 10%, but a multiplicative 10%means level 3 SW does not 45%+10% = 55%, but rather 45%*1.10 = 49.5%

Sadly, that's not how it works. This bonus is summed with your other additive buffs. If you have Blazing Wrath (15% buff) and a 10% FoT bonus, your vortex and tornadoes do 15% extra damage because of Blazing Wrath, but your Thunderclap does 25% extra damage (15% plus 10%). Overawe? Same thing.
Reply Quote
Is the bonus also apply to the cyclone dmg?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Popoc
Is the bonus also apply to the cyclone dmg?

Yes, it does.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
Sadly, that's not how it works. This bonus is summed with your other additive buffs. If you have Blazing Wrath (15% buff) and a 10% FoT bonus, your vortex and tornadoes do 15% extra damage because of Blazing Wrath, but your Thunderclap does 25% extra damage (15% plus 10%). Overawe? Same thing.

mind explainin this? thank you
Reply Quote
Which part? No offense, but I thought it was self-explanatory.
Reply Quote
It works like most of the other damage mods I think you'll have the amount your of damage your sweeping winds does and it'll make that damage x% higher. So like if you had a bonus of 8% you'd basically be times the damage done by that skill by 1.08.
Reply Quote
BW 15% Blind (30% not 10%)

01/19/2013 02:26 AMPosted by Deathonate

anyways you said vortex will do 15% extra cause of BW, but thunderclap does 25% extra (should be 45%), anyways Faith in light does not add up on vortex but adds up on Thunderclap?
Reply Quote
Ok, maybe someone can clear it up a little for me... So I never used the snapshot bug (never really heard of it before all the 1.07 patch talk). Anyways if you forget about gear swapping and focus only on buffs from skills, if I understand correctly, let's say I cast Blinding Flash, THEN I cast SW, the 30% bonus remains until SW is over?

I'm asking this because in normal gameplay, I usually cast SW first, then Blinding when I'm close to enemies. So in theory, this "nerf" (more like a fix) won't affect my monk, right? I rarely, if ever, recast my SW when I'm using Blinding.
Edited by Johnny#1585 on 1/19/2013 10:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Ok, maybe someone can clear it up a little for me... So I never used the snapshot bug (never really heard of it before all the 1.07 patch talk). Anyways if you forget about gear swapping and focus only on buffs from skills, if I understand correctly, let's say I cast Blinding Flash, THEN I cast SW, the 30% bonus remains until SW is over?

I'm asking this because in normal gameplay, I usually cast SW first, then Blinding when I'm close to enemies. So in theory, this "nerf" (more like a fix) won't affect my monk, right? I rarely, if ever, recast my SW when I'm using Blinding.

You're doing it backward. Faith in the Light adds a bonus damage range of 25% to 35% to your weapons. Think of it as boosting your damage. You can read more about it here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415601873

Think of it as boosting the base damage of your weapons, because that's what it does :)

Anyway, if you activate FitL and then activating Sweeping Wind, SW will "snapshot" the FitL bonus, so you'll keep the extra damage (30% x APS) until SW expires. This means that you should charge within range, blind the mobs, and then activate Sweeping Wind. If you activate SW without having FitL up, you'll have to wait until it expires (or right-click the icon above the skill bar) before you can benefit from the locked FitL bonus.

Make sense?

@Deathonate: I was talking about a FoT helm bonus and Blazing Wrath, not Faith in the Light. The numbers I posted are valid. If you activate FitL before you activate SW, the bonus will affect the vortex and the tornadoes. On the PTR, the vortex and the tornadoes read your DPS each time they damage something, so you can't lock in the damage any more.
Reply Quote
@Vrkhyz: Right right. Yeah I do realise that in order to take advantage of the exploit, I would have to inverse my regurlar approach routine versus mobs (that is, Fitl->SW instead of SW->Fitl). I just wanted to confirm (and you just did!) that I wouldn't get a nasty "nerf" surprise come 1.07 (because like I said, I really never activate SW while Fitl is active). So 1.07 will be business as usual for me if I decide to keep this build... although it's too bad I didn't know about this before!

At any rate, thx for the clear-up! =)
Reply Quote
You're welcome. 1.0.7. will actually be better for you, I think. If you were to continue activating SW first, you'd still benefit from FitL during the 3 seconds it's active. Currently, you can't. So I suspect this change will work out in your favor, although it would be a very small loss (a couple percentage points) if you were doing it on the live server already.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
i might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure it's not an additive 10%, but a multiplicative 10%means level 3 SW does not 45%+10% = 55%, but rather 45%*1.10 = 49.5%

vrkhyz, just for clarification, which part of my assumptions is wrong? the calculations i used assumed that the only bonus to sweeping winds damage is the +10% sweeping winds damage affix. not yet factoring in FitL or BoH.

was trying to correct the OP as he thought it was a flat 10% additive damage to the skill. i.e.: 3 stack SW dealing 55% instead of 45%.

i always thought the +10% sweeping winds damage was a percentage increase in damage. i.e.: 45% + 10%*45% = 49.5%
Reply Quote
I'm sorry—I saw "it's not an additive 10%, but a multiplicative 10%" and locked in on my usual definitions of "additive" and "multiplicative." In this case, I simply mean that the bonus is additive with other bonuses like Overawe, Blazing Wrath, and Foresight. The vortex does, as you wrote, get multiplied by this modifier, but that wasn't my interpretation because I misread what you wrote. Sorry!

Anyway, a "multiplicative buff" typically means something like the WKL's lightning damage bonus to skills. This amount is not added to other affixes, so you get to multiply the bonus by other bonuses.

So, let's say you have Blazing Wrath and Overawe (non-spam, constant 24% buff), or Blazing Wrath and a WKL with a 24% lightning damage bonus. Your tornadoes are boosted by 39% in the first scenario because BW's 15% and Overawe's 24% are added together; your tornadoes are boosted by 42.6% in the second scenario because BW's 15% is then multiplied by the WKL's 24%, so you get "damage x 1.15 x 1.24," or 1.426. In this case, I would write that Blazing Wrath and Overawe are additive with each other and multiplicative with the WKL bonus.

Confused myself. Sorry for the confusion :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]