Diablo® III

Sweeping Wind bonus damage affix

I must apologize for still being confused. :D

I have a WKL with +25% to Lightning Skills. I also have Innas for +15% Sweeping Wind, SoJ for +12% Sweeping Wind, and Mara's for +11% Sweeping Wind... how would I go about buffing up (1.07) to best use this, and what would the formula look like?

I understand math, but this whole thing leaves me feeling like a 9th grader again. :-(
Reply Quote

I have a WKL with +25% to Lightning Skills. I also have Innas for +15% Sweeping Wind, SoJ for +12% Sweeping Wind, and Mara's for +11% Sweeping Wind... how would I go about buffing up (1.07) to best use this, and what would the formula look like?

I understand math, but this whole thing leaves me feeling like a 9th grader again. :-(

from what i understand from vrkhyz's explanation, your total bonus if your damage is 100k is:

100k * (1 + 0.15 + 0.12 + 0.11 + BoH bonus + FitL bonus + MoC bonus) * 1.25
Edited by prawnstar#1239 on 1/19/2013 9:29 PM PST
Reply Quote

from what i understand from vrkhyz's explanation, your total bonus if your damage is 100k is:

Thank you!! It was actually .14 for Inna's, my bad on the original post. But this answer is clear as crystal.
Edited by Virtueboy#1109 on 1/19/2013 9:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Almost. The FitL bonus is added to your base damage; it's not part of the string in parentheses. Instead, it multiplies the 100K by (boosted damage ÷ normal damage). The amount of the boost depends on your attack speed because FitL's boost scales with APS.

The rest of that formula is correct, though. The full run-down on the live server looks something like this, assuming a 70% buff for FitL (which seems reasonable):
  • Thunderclap damage: DAM x (1 + 0.7 x 0.2 [FitL up only 20% of the time]) x (1 + 0.15 [BW] + 0.48 [Overawe at 100% up-time]) x 1.25 (WKL) = DAM x 1.14 x 1.63 x 1.25 = DAM x 2.32275
  • Sweeping Wind vortex damage: DAM x 1.7 (FitL) x (1 + 0.14 [Inna's] + 0.12 [SoJ] + 0.11 [Mara's] + 0.15 [BW] + 0.48 [Overawe @ 100%]) = DAM x 1.7 x 2 = DAM x 3.4
  • Sweeping Wind tornado damage: DAM x 3.4 x 1.25 (WKL) = DAM x 4.25

The vortex damage isn't lightning and thus isn't affect by your WKL.

Keep in mind that these aren't the actual damage formulas—they don't include Thunderclap's haste modifier or 145% damage mod, each tornado's "20% times 6" zaps, etc. They're just to give you an idea of how your items are affecting your skills.

On the PTR, only the Sweeping Wind parts will change. To put the changes in 1.0.6 terms, we need to reduce the value of the FitL bonus and then account for the buffs.

First, FitL. Instead of a 70% bonus 100% of the time, you'll get the same Thunderclap bonus you get on the live server: a 70% bonus 20% of the time, or 1.14

Next, the buffs. The vortex damage increased from 45% to 60%, a gain of one-third; the tornado damage increased by 30%.

So:
  • Sweeping Wind vortex damage: DAM x 3.4 (1.0.6) x 1.14 (new FitL) ÷ 1.70 (old FitL) x 4 ÷ 3 (PTR buff) = DAM x 3.04
  • Sweeping Wind tornado damage: DAM x 4.25 x 1.14 (new FitL) ÷ 1.70 (old FitL) x 1.3 (bump from 20% to 26% per zap) = DAM x 3.705

Comparing 1.0.6 and PTR values:
  • Vortex: 3.4 to 3.04 (-10.6%)
  • Tornadoes: 4.25 to 3.705 (-12.8%)

For the sake of simplicity, let's assume that your SW bonus is 60% of your overall EDPS, split two-to-one in favor of tornadoes. In that case, you'll lose roughly 7.25% of your EDPS on the PTR, assuming it's not too early for me to be trying this sort of thing.

Anyway! Hope that helps illustrate things.
Reply Quote
Wow, thanks for all the detailed info, Vrkhyz! I don't think the loss of %7.25 is going to bring me to giving up this build. And, I have a lot of Paragon levels to get before everything sets in stone for me. There are a few tweeks I can make to my gear as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]