Diablo® III

Explaination of attack speed break point?

I have seen some threads about attack speed break point and getting to 2.5 aps from both hands on dual wielding for WW builds. Can someone either explain or point me to a thread that might go into detail on this? I am not too aware of the whole dual wielding thing and trying to see how I can better my gear setup. I got a EF OH with .24 / crit + OS for distributing better attack speed on my weapons. Do I need additional IAS gear to hit a 'break point' of some kind?

Thanks,
Reply Quote
2.5aps on both hands isn't necessary. it makes permawrath much more consistent. However, it is something that will boost your in game dps so it's also important for that reason.

the important breakpoints to remember are 2.0, 2.23, 2.5, and 2.86. Any lower and permawrath is nearly impossible. Any higher and you require more than 4 slots of 8+ias. sprint nados tic faster at each of these aps. in between they will continue to tic at the previous aps breakpoint. Any ias that gets you in between breakpoints is excess since it isn't contributing to much in game damage. This is for pure double tornado builds.

With a standard mace mh/EF oh combo with .24aps you need total of 34ias, or 8/8/9/9 ias on 4slots. I've found that if you cant afford sockets or base crit on weapons, its more cost effective to hit 2.23 aps since you only need 2 slots of ias and you can stack crit on the other 2.
Reply Quote
I only hit the 2.5x breakpoint on 1 weapon and I still do just fine. I will eventually change things up so I hit the 2.5x with both weapons.

It would be nice if somebody performed the calcualations on my !@#$ and let me know for sure if 9% more AS is in fact enough....
Reply Quote
I only hit the 2.5x breakpoint on 1 weapon and I still do just fine. I will eventually change things up so I hit the 2.5x with both weapons.

It would be nice if somebody performed the calcualations on my !@#$ and let me know for sure if 9% more AS is in fact enough....

tada http://www.d3rawr.com/d-20z69

also, most of us cannot afford 39.5cc on gear. If you have that much cc you can have lower aps. As it is, you are hitting 2.23/2.5 so above what i consider to be the minimum. With that much cc you could probably be at 2.0/2.5 and still permawrath consistently.
Edited by PhatPhoEater#1370 on 1/11/2013 6:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Adding 9% gives me 2.5025

What is the breakpoint exactly?
Reply Quote
Does attack speed on a weapon count? My mh has 11, does that count towards the 34% I would need? Assuming I had the .24 Ef oh. I'm working on getting one.
Edited by Fritter#1383 on 1/11/2013 8:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Fritter
Does attack speed on a weapon count? My mh has 11, does that count towards the 34% I would need? Assuming I had the .24 Ef oh. I'm working on getting one.

It does not. IAS on weapons only applies to that weapon. I would never use an ias mace as it will never hit the higher breakpoint with the same number of IAS slots. 8ias axe which is 1.4 aps will hit 2.86 if your OH EF hits 2.5. However, getting this axe with socket and 650-1200 damage and str isn't cheap.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the explanation.

One more question for you, could you use the 3% from enchantress to get you there? If for example I only had 31% from gear. Which is kinda where I'll be as
my hellfire is only 6%.
Edited by Fritter#1383 on 1/11/2013 8:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
sure, but if you play in groups to uber or farm, you wont have her. IMO using her ias buff is like using warcry. I don't use wc because my gear is good enough. I use opks for 10cc bonus. I don't use enchantress since my gear is good enough. I use scoundrel for cc bonus.
Reply Quote
So this 'break point' is just to allow for perma wrath? I didn't know if it was a breakpoint for something else. I dont have 2.5 aps, but can keep perma wrath up in most instances.. I never am sure what these exact figures (i.e. 2.501) breakpoint really is 'breaking'. I have under that but can still keep perma wrath.
Reply Quote
fully buffed you are hitting 2.5 and 2.23.

breakpoint is a term that refers to aps at which sprint nados tic faster. So at 2.3 aps your nados still tic at the 2.23 "breakpoint." Any aps between 2 breakpoints does not make your nados hit faster.
Reply Quote
breakpoint is a term that refers to aps at which sprint nados tic faster. So at 2.3 aps your nados still tic at the 2.23 "breakpoint." Any aps between 2 breakpoints does not make your nados hit faster.

Thank you for this explanation. I have imported my profile into d3rawr... where can you see buffed information. All I see on the right is attacks per second 2.1406 / 2.0016 which looks to be unbuffed. Do you just take and add in the +25% ias from wrath giving me 2.572 / 2.405?

EDIT: nm I found where to get buffed ias :) Looks like my aps is 2.5256 / 2.3616 buffed... so I would need another IAS gear piece to get both hands over the 2.5 breakpoint?
Edited by ofgortens#1113 on 1/11/2013 9:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
near the top left, you will see "gear" and "skill damage." if you click on skill damage and click the breakpoint link in the sprint:rltw box it will tell you how far above/below you are on each weapon.
Reply Quote
So someone told me one time that I need 1% more IAS to hit the 2.5 but how do I know im at 2.5. My as says 2.18. How does this compute?
Reply Quote
06/23/2013 06:20 PMPosted by VANNER81
So someone told me one time that I need 1% more IAS to hit the 2.5 but how do I know im at 2.5. My as says 2.18. How does this compute?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7894149625

better offhand for 1.44 EF – 34 points of IAS(8,8,9,9 per gear slot) is a sword, hitting 2.87bp on offhand otherwise lower than 1.4asp offhand will do just 2.5bp

or

.25 ef + 45points of IAS(9,9,9,9,9 per gear slot) +1.3asp offhand(axe, mighty weapon) to gain 2.87bp (credit to bigballer). hth
Edited by elkarera#6933 on 6/23/2013 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]