Diablo® III

Phat's budget Double Nado and gear reference

View profile
Just got to read this and realized I geared completely wrong.

Any advice on which pieces I should drop and try to replace?

I figure the weapons need to be changed, get a better MH mace, and try to find the cheapest OH I can. If I get a dagger, I would need more IAS - was thinking of getting Andariels visage cause I don't want to lose the crit - and could not afford a mempo.

Selling my current weapons is the only way I can get more gear though - anyone have an opinion on what they are worth? Fairly sure I overpaid when I bought them - and now I realize they aren't optimal for my build so I just got suckered I guess. Unless they work for hota or something?

I agree that your weapons aren't ideal but you already own them. I agree you need another slot of 9ias, since that would put you at 2/2.23. There is no easy place to get it for you.

It might be easier to just get an EF with LS and socket. Your current IAS will put you into 2.23 on both hands which will gen fury better than current weapons+another 9ias. Check d3rawr before any purchase. If your budget is big enough, you might consider an EF MH since your OH is usable.

I would strongly reconsider using the WH since you are giving up LS/big AR to use it. I also don't need to tell you that using vit gems in all your slots is gimping your tdps. This is another ehp issue I would address soon since you wont be able to push mp much higher.
I've been doing some big gear shuffles trying to get some more dps out, adn now after blowing a rather large chunk of money, I've gained 20k sheet dps but lost about 60k EHP (I'm at about 415k EHP now). My tDPS is about 385k, what can I do about this? I tried looking at a MH and (EF) OH, but it was a dps downgrade. The stats, admittedly, on both were pretty low, and I lost a fair amount of critdmg with the setup. If weapons are the issue (which I expect they may be? among probably other things...) around how much do you think it would take to fix?

Thanks~~
View profile
I've been doing some big gear shuffles trying to get some more dps out, adn now after blowing a rather large chunk of money, I've gained 20k sheet dps but lost about 60k EHP (I'm at about 415k EHP now). My tDPS is about 385k, what can I do about this? I tried looking at a MH and (EF) OH, but it was a dps downgrade. The stats, admittedly, on both were pretty low, and I lost a fair amount of critdmg with the setup. If weapons are the issue (which I expect they may be? among probably other things...) around how much do you think it would take to fix?

Thanks~~

Youve got 24ias on gear. Using a skorn with that low ias will be impossible to permawrath. If you are satisfied with the 2h gameplay, you should not do double nado until you are rich.

You are using ik5. Getting to higher breakpionts with ik5 requires thoughtful planning and big gold if you want higher tdps. You have to decide if you want to keep IK5 or not.

I'm guessing a big chunk of the lost ehp was from switching to Innas. I'm not a fan, but it can still work for mid mp, but it will be tough getting to higher MP with those pants.

In terms of cost, You can have a perfectly functional permawrath set for a few mil. It will be lower tdps/paper dps but you will have more wrath uptime which gives you more tdps overall. You have to answer a lot of questions for yourself. IK5? Skorn? glass cannon?
Skorn was mainly to have fun with HotA and rend, but I mostly run around with sprint and WW anyway. My goal currently is to be able to farm keys efficiently and maybe even do the ubers at some reasonable MP (7+?) to do hellfire rings. The main reason I kept the Skorn instead of my other weapons was that the Skorn was flat out better than the 2x1h I had.

I'm not too attached to IK5 really; it's kind of nice, but its not necessary. I had dumped WotB precisely because I could not keep it up outside of having a billion mobs around me, which was really annoying and I found myself pressing it less and less until I was only using it to escape jailer or frozen (when I was zoned out). The problem I currently have though is my weapon is a huge chunk of EHP. EHP seems to be my problem in general. I just switched a bunch around and I still have EHP issues.

The IK set I believe I just bought most of it a few days ago. I had lacuni before, so it was basically lacuni -> innas which was actually an ehp upgrade because there was more vit on the current set. It was my chest that was the biggest lost (it had 221 vit on it).

If I were to swap around, I guess I would need

* a STR mempo/andy's (mempo prob) but I dont think I can swing a crit mempo...
* an EF with some sort of stats (.24+ aps) and [LS, CritDmg, ...] CritDmg and socket are probably out here too
* a MH mace with str, critdmg, socket
* other stuff

I suppose I would be better served picking up more EHP in the chest/pants as well which means going back to lacunis as well, and maybe even going back to ice climbers? Urgh I just sold a lot of this stuff, but then again it was causing upgrade issues anyway due to how weird it all was.

Diablo III: losing all your gold 15% transaction fee at a time (stop being stupid you idiot!) edition.
View profile
The problem I currently have though is my weapon is a huge chunk of EHP. EHP seems to be my problem in general. I just switched a bunch around and I still have EHP issues.

If this were my set, I would make it be able to permawrath as the #1 priority. That means getting a proper dual wield setup. The cheapest way to do this with some minor inconveniences is a mace MH and an OH dagger. The less cheap way with much better permawrath functionality is to mace MH and OH EF. With 24IAS you currently have, you will hit 2.23 on both with the EF combo. You will not hit 2.0/2.5 with mace/dagger combo. For that you need another 3 IAS. In the end, it will probably cheaper to just go with the EF combo. I would pick either of these even if it meant less tdps vs your skorn. You aren't in permawrath with that thing so in reality your effective tdps will actually be higher.

Priority #2 would be to fix the vit issue. I really dislike vit on weapons. I really really dislike humongous vit on weapon. Being forced to keep a weapon that will not let you play the build you want to play isn't good. If you want to play a 2h build then keep it. If not, you need to dump it and fix your vit elsewhere.

Since you already dropped the gold for the IK set and dont have access to the old gear, just flip the gems to vit. If you want to stay ik5, you can pick up 140vit boots for under 5m. If you want to drop IK5, save up for big stat IC without movespeed.

You can pick up rare shoulders with same str/life%/AR and 80vit for ~10m.

You can also get an ik belt with 190str/80 vit for under 20m. You will have to decide how much longer you want to hold onto the IK5.
Phat - I have recently changed just about every piece of gear in order to perma. I feel that I have accomplished my goal and I am currently doing just fine in MP4.

What do you see as major flaws on my build/gear? What should I focus on for my next upgrade?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the advice you have given in the past
View profile
Phat - I have recently changed just about every piece of gear in order to perma. I feel that I have accomplished my goal and I am currently doing just fine in MP4.

What do you see as major flaws on my build/gear? What should I focus on for my next upgrade?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the advice you have given in the past

Solid set, but you are missing a nice chunk of dps by using a mighty weapon. With your set and a rare mace MH you should have no problems maintaining fury if you play at an appropriate MP. This would give you the biggest single slot tdps upgrade.

Other than that, its going to be small upgrades. Avg dam on ammy/ring, bigger str on shoulders, bigger str on belt, etc. It might also be time to upgrade your gems to the 2nd to highest tier.

Another thing to start thinking about is increasing your ehp. 46k hp is going to make mp10 ubers sketchy. I would get a new mh and start looking to increase ehp.
Thank you very much! I will start my weapon search immediately.
Yeah, my goal is to get to good farming higher MP ASAP, regardless of what I have to do to get there. I'll look into dropping IK5 when I get home tonight, alongside upgrading other parts, and obtaining weapons.
Yeah, my goal is to get to good farming higher MP ASAP, regardless of what I have to do to get there. I'll look into dropping IK5 when I get home tonight, alongside upgrading other parts, and obtaining weapons.

Good thing is that most of the time barbs keep two-piece IK so you don't have to drop completely. That being said, however, you do need to consider which two pieces you want to keep as it has gearing and passive ability implications.

Good luck!

P.S. PHO IS THE BEST...

that is all. :D
This was a great read. Nice work!
Hey Phat,

Awesome advice. Thank you for putting in so much time to help out other barbs. I believe i just hit the 2.23 mark, but noticed that i'm not being efficient with my ias (see gloves and ammy). I don't know where I should be upgrading next and what MP I should be playing on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Profile link below.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ScratchNsnif-1843/hero/7629901
i think this post helped me the most. many people have different ideas on gear choice. I find this the simplest so far.
Good job! keep it up!

and Pho, i loaded my profile into d3rawr and my tdps is about 840k and 200k fully buffed paper dps. And can you give me further advice on gearing and upgrading?
i have about 120m to spend.

Thanks a lot!
View profile
Hey Phat,

Awesome advice. Thank you for putting in so much time to help out other barbs. I believe i just hit the 2.23 mark, but noticed that i'm not being efficient with my ias (see gloves and ammy). I don't know where I should be upgrading next and what MP I should be playing on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Profile link below.

IMO, you should never get IAS on your amulet unless you're spending a huge chunk for a good trifecta. Rings can roll the same amount of IAS as an amulet, but rings can only roll 6 CC/50CD while an amulet can roll 10CC/100CD. If you need IAS, the most efficient places to get it are helm (mempo) bracers (lacunis) gloves (rares or IK) and rings. Stick with CC/CD on your amulet and get IAS in those slots if you need it.
01/29/2013 10:16 AMPosted by Prisus
That being said, however, you do need to consider which two pieces you want to keep as it has gearing and passive ability implications.

I'm pretty sure I want to keep the belt. While the witching hour is an attractive choice, I like having the leech on the belt, as it helps ease the leech burden on other items. After that it looks like the chest is a solid choice, but mine has fairly weak vit in a slot where you can get up to 300... So basically it looks like belt + [gloves or chest], leaving the hat to go over (eventually) to mempo, and the boots to IC.

My Inna's are somewhat weak, and swapping to a crit lacuni (to free up the foot slot for a high stat IC w/o move%) could leave me hurting some for EHP so I'm not sure how I want to proceed there.

I also dislike having EHP tied up in my weapons and am looking to move as much of it off of them as I can, but that is turning out to be very difficult :(
Hey Phat,

Well i'm not Phat...but I am Pretty Hot And Tempting so I'm going to take a shot.

You definitely have over stacked your IAS. Especially with a dagger offhand. I notice that you have very little crit chance on your gear. I would try and drop some of that auxillary IAS and try and get more crit chance. You will notice that your fury gen will be more consistent.

Since you have a .24 Echoing fury, I would go down to a total of 34% attack speed bonus. It's best if you focus that gain on 4 pieces (2 with 8% 2 with 9%). Focusing makes it easier to change out other gear without fear of screwing up your break points.

You have a pretty big chunk of vitality stack on your EF. That can be scary especially if you ever want to upgrade that Fury. For now, I would move it to your offhand and get a black damage mace with a high average damage range. Your tDPS would increase dramatically.

Basically look to balance out cc/ias. Ultimately your helm will need to be changed out for one with a socket so you can get the EHP bonus from an amethyst. Plus the +Fire Damage affix will destroy you in higher MPs. You might be able to change that out now. If you move to mempo then you can get rid of IAS on another piece or two. Ultimately you can drop upwards of 18% IAS and replace that with Crit Chance.

The best MP to play on is the one you can move quickly through with the fewest deaths. That's really where it's at. You could probably "handle" upwards of 4 or 5 but it won't be efficient for you. Mp1 or 2 will probably be your sweet spot.
01/29/2013 12:12 PMPosted by Skonatha
I also dislike having EHP tied up in my weapons and am looking to move as much of it off of them as I can, but that is turning out to be very difficult :(

Don't feel bad...this is actually a common mistake amongst many players. Most skorn players have it worse lol.

At least you know what needs to happen. The Belt/Chest combo is a good one and I have seen many barbs do that successfully.

Looks like you have a great direction and know where you are going (even a little bit) and that's all it really takes!

glhf! :D
View profile
Hey Phat,

IMO, you should never get IAS on your amulet unless you're spending a huge chunk for a good trifecta. Rings can roll the same amount of IAS as an amulet, but rings can only roll 6 CC/50CD while an amulet can roll 10CC/100CD. If you need IAS, the most efficient places to get it are helm (mempo) bracers (lacunis) gloves (rares or IK) and rings. Stick with CC/CD on your amulet and get IAS in those slots if you need it.

Agree with this. Although I'm not a fan of your EF since it lacks LS, socket, crit. I prefer at least one of these or more depending on budget. I would get a new EF and put in the OH and hitting lower breakpoints with a mace MH.

I used to advocate for andy's at low mp farm but it really starts to show its weaknesses in mid MP so stopped suggesting it. YOu'd gain so much with either an IK or mempo. the life% is too good to pass up and the socket for more flexibility.

Your IAS/cc issues are tangled up with your ehp issues. You have AR on gloves and ammy and have zero or low cc there. I'd rather have 150str/9ias/9cc gloves and 9cc/50cd ammy than your current setup. This would put you at 2.5 aps and fix your low cc. I shoot for 25cc on gear as a minimum. You have zero AR on shoulders. This is why I like mempo over Ik helm because it gives you another cheap slot of AR.

Your vit issues are a major problem. You have massive hp on those weapons. You have crap vit on your chest/pants/belt.
Hi all,

thank you very much for the very prompt replies. I will try and take all the advice into consideration when playing tonight to figure out how to better setup my toon.
View profile
i loaded my profile into d3rawr and my tdps is about 840k and 200k fully buffed paper dps. And can you give me further advice on gearing and upgrading?
i have about 120m to spend.

To get to the next level of tdps you are going to need 2 more slots of 8-9ias and replace your MH ring with an 8-9ias ring. You have a lot of vit on the gloves, which will make getting another IAS slot there expensive. I would get vit on your belt/shoulder and drop it from your gloves. IK cc/IAS gloves aren't cheap. You could probably get trifectas rare for the same cost.

The fourth slot of IAS will be tricky. It has to either come on helm or pants. Mempo would give you a needed AR slot as well.

edit: Remember that you will be eventually upgrading to an IK chest to give you IK2 or IK3. Also, you will eventually want 30-60dam on your rings/ammy.
Edited by PhatPhoEater#1370 on 1/29/2013 12:45 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]