Diablo® III

ARCANE TORRENT ANALYSIS AND IMPROVEMENT TIPS

I would be completely furious if the design team says, "Oh we have realized this problem, and we agree that changes should be made to it. However, we do not think any rushed changes would do any good to the long-term gaming experience, so we'll just leave it as it is for the moment."

Any blue post on this matter would be appreciated.
Edited by Milton#1375 on 1/15/2013 1:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, I don't agree with such decisions. If there's a problem, then a temporary solution is better then no solution at all. I don't understand people who are afraid of change, to whom CMs often refer to when talking about upsetting people with too frequent updates. I'm always excited to see new stuff, even if it's just a minor dps buff for some rune - at least it gives more opportunities to check out alternative builds.

In fact I'd be thrilled to read some developers' insights into their opinions about skills, runes, what was their design goal and what they'd like to achieve with those skills in future updates.

For example, what's the purpose of Teleporting Wave rune for Wave of Force? Why Wave of Force still has such a long cooldown and prohibitive cost? What's the point in Mirror Skin and Enduring Skin runes for Diamond Skin? Why single-target abilities are so weak? What's the point of Entropy, Sleet Storm, Arc Lightning and melee range Shock Pulse runes if we already have Spectral Blades? Has anyone ever seriously used Vigoron? Why bother with Mirror Images if Fracture Teleport is superior? Why do we have a debuff on Glass Cannon if we're more of a mid-range/melee class and Demon Hunters have better range? Why the lack of fire spells? Where's Fireball? Etc..
Edited by Найтмус#2559 on 1/15/2013 2:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey don't hate on melee shock pulse... I used that for leveling. I was tanking from the beginning. I'm not really into shooting magic spit balls (magic missile). LOL
Reply Quote
Well, yeah, I liked Explosive bolts back then. But now these abilities feel all the same and lack in comparison to Spectral Blades. Not to mention that mostly people prefer twisters in melee, because melee abilities that don't provide enough CM procs make it hard to survive.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 02:34 AMPosted by Найтмус
what's the purpose of Teleporting Wave rune for Wave of Force? Why Wave of Force still has such a long cooldown and prohibitive cost?

Agree with you again here, buddy. My playstyle is quite subjective. I tend to use my preferred skills even if they are not as efficient as other popular builds. Wave of Force, Time Shell and Arcane Torrent, those skills are "weak" but I think they "define" the character. Back to your question about the long cd of WoF. I think the design team thought at first that wiz has Evocation and CM to reduce cd, and it'd be ok to impose a relatively long cd on it. What they did not imagine was that the CM build got somewhat exploited (Frost Nova), and then they nerfed the proc coeff heavily and reduced the cd of Time Shell and Wave of Force by a modest amount. Those Blizz guys did not do a good job on balancing wiz skills, I'd say.

Why the lack of fire spells? Where's Fireball?

Here I disagree :) I think the design team did a good job to focus on the ARCANE aspect of this character. Wiz has arcane power flowing inside her and many of her skills are arcane related. At the same time, she combines the elements of fire, ice and storm to her arsenal. Well, at least Meteor is a fire spell.

If there's a problem, then a temporary solution is better then no solution at all.

Indeed. It might be off topic and offensive to Blizz, but I have to say Icefrog has made a right decision to choose Valve over Blizz for Dota 2. The Dota 2 team is way more vibrant, decisive and interactive. They're not afraid of making changes, and they keep the balance of the game reasonably well (although they recently nerfed my fav Templar Assassin unfairly).
The Blizz team, on the other hand, only focus on what they think important. Some changes should be made earlier (wiz), and some changes should never have happened (1500% Trail of Cinders lol, can't forget that one, can you?) They may have a point "focusing on the long-term thing of the game", but you know what, I do not care about the long term thing. I'm not going to farm for the next ten years and hear the same storyline over and over again.

If you want to do it right, do it now.
Reply Quote
I gave up on AT other than death blossom about 10 minutes after unlocking it back in may.
It has never been touched in any patch and is a total crap skill.
Blocked by walls and terrain even though it has a delay to fire up the air, wtf is the point of another channeling skill that doesn't do anything better or different than any others and only leaves you more vulnerable?
If you don't mind dealing with wallers it's always better to use arcane orbs since you can at least kite with them, arcane torrent just doesn't work better than any skills in any situation.
Reply Quote
Can't say I agree more than I already do with all the complaints about Arcane Torrent. As long as Blizzard listens to at least one of these suggestion I think Arcane Torrent will become more viable in game especially after 1.0.7.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 02:54 PMPosted by WVoS
Can't say I agree more than I already do with all the complaints about Arcane Torrent.

Yes, I'm so glad that people share my thoughts. It's a big relief to not be alone :)

Again, any blue post on this matter would be appreciated.
Edited by Milton#1375 on 1/15/2013 8:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
Everyone saw the PTR patch notes?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8414570/#classes

Well, it's a joke and I'm pissed off. Compared to Monk buff, wiz is almost not being buffed.
Blizz, where's your advocated "build diversity"? Can't you see some of wiz's skills need urgent fixes? Have you guys seriously played the game?

Let me get this out straight, I'm not gonna wait another few months for you guys to realize these issues. If 1.07 comes out as the PTR suggests, I quit. Maybe next time I'll buy a Blizz game five years after it releases. You guys do fancy "long-term" thing, don't you?
Reply Quote
Don't hold your breath Milton. Devs and J. Wilson were passing the crack pipe around when they made this patch.
Reply Quote
Using arcane torrent at ptr with all runes except for mines and blossom gives a debuff for reduced movement speed and attack speed while channeling.
Reply Quote
Is the player debuffed for move + attack speed reduction or is it the monsters?
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 07:15 AMPosted by pencil
Using arcane torrent at ptr with all runes except for mines and blossom gives a debuff for reduced movement speed and attack speed while channeling.

It sounds like the effect of Temporal Flux on mobs?
Reply Quote
u no need to have flux to get this icon and it is placed where u get a frozen icon while frozen and where all ur other debuffs are placed. but i dont really know if there is any difference from normal AT ingame. and u cant even move while channeling... or can we in ptr? :OOO
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 12:51 AMPosted by pencil
u no need to have flux to get this icon and it is placed where u get a frozen icon while frozen and where all ur other debuffs are placed. but i dont really know if there is any difference from normal AT ingame. and u cant even move while channeling... or can we in ptr? :OOO

uh, I have difficulty understanding what you said. Anyway, no changes and AT still sucks.
Is there any way to call the attention of a blue post?
Reply Quote
Arcane Torrent change suggestions thread in PTR feed back forum --> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592202630
Reply Quote
I'd post my original thread there too just to bring their attention. Hope that works.
My new post in the PTR feedback section: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7681548774#1
Please bring your thoughts there if you want to see a tweak on AT in the upcoming patch.
Edited by Milton#1375 on 1/17/2013 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Milton:
Creating multiple threads in the PTR forum will fragment the discussion and not necessarily bring greater attention to it. I put a link to this thread in my PTR thread. I was hoping you would add your ideas to the thread I started in the PTR forum.

We have some real good info. in this thread. Its fine with me if others don't find my suggestion appealing. Please add/modify what I posted (and any other stuff posted) or post your own ideas.
Reply Quote
Thank you BossDogg for all the discussion. It's always pleasant to have someone share your thoughts. However, I do not believe the dev team is going to do anything about it, and we're essentially acting like morons in convincing people that AT needs some help.

Last time I said I might buy my next Blizz game five years after it releases. Now I feel I will not buy any Blizz game in the future. This company has ruined my trust.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]