Diablo® III

So getting one shotted is dueling?

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/pvp.shtml :)
Reply Quote
I'm a quiet watcher of forums and I don't usually say much. I just want to comment on how impressed I am with how connected the game development staff tries to be with gamers. I have not experienced this before and I really think its great.

Throughout all the complaining, insults, feedback and any other comments provided by us gamers, the end result is definitely going to be something that is "for us, by us"... so regardless of what we say, you are proactive in listening to us and appear to be making changes that we suggest (after thorough research).

My only suggestion re: dueling would be to create dueling games that are separate from the regular world. I think this only works if you are insistent on having an "arena" setting and not allowing players to "hostile" each other in the regular world. If you go the arena route, I think having separate games are ideal. I say this because you can then allow up to 8 players to join and really amp up the possibilities. You should also allow players to form their own teams so that they can balance stuff out on their own (this is if you don't standardize dueling and keep track records). That way, you can have 4v4 matches, or even 3v5 or a huge FFA.
Reply Quote
i think 75% damage reduction would be a good start to PvP balance. When 1.07 actually gets released, I don't care if class skills are imbalanced and people are complaining about this and that, balancing classes comes much later. Right now we just need dueling to last long enough to assess and discover PvP builds and think about class balance for the future, be it arenas or whatever.

Testing is going on as we speak, but 1-2 shotting most opponents teaches us little. The PTR is going to need a PvP damage reduction implemented somehow so we can figure out the ideal amount come 1.07. I really hope the modification makes it to the patch, otherwise dueling will be a major disappointment.

It might be helpful to poll the player base on how long they think the average duel should last, and how many average damage attacks it should take to kill a player of equal gear as them. Regardless of what numbers are used in balancing, there's going to be situations where someone is capable of demolishing their opponent in 2 seconds, and there's going to be situations where it takes 5 minutes to kill someone. Being outgeared or having a bad class matchup is going to affect peoples opinions. Balancing the numbers should be based on what most PvPer's consider to be the ideal length of time for a duel, and the minimum number of strikes that should be required to earn a win.

yeah, I wish we just had a PvP hostile option tab too. There are plenty of ways to safeguard players against griefing and annoyance.
Reply Quote
Any changes we make would ultimately be framed by those goals, and it's possible we won't make very many adjustments as a result. We're loving the feedback we're getting, though -- even the harsh criticisms. Keep it up!

Why not just create a PvP world just like there is a HC world?
Reply Quote
01/17/2013 02:02 PMPosted by Lylirra
It's a simple feature that's there for people who want to take advantage of it, not something that's intended to be part of the core gameplay experience.

So in other words, PvP will always suck in D3?

Can't wait for PvP to be live and sell my gear and finally leave this game :P
Reply Quote
Please do not make ANY change now, we just have 99% of players shaped by 1.05 patch to be glass canon.

Imaging had duel came out back in 1.02 where most people run with 600+++ AR, 50K HP, shield, lots of LoH, and maybe 30K DPS. Every fight would take a long time.

I would say put this on LIVE for 2-3 month, let people re gear, then make adjustments, people won't be able to gear for PvP during PTR.

The goal shouldn't be let people with Glass Canon gear to duel effectively, it should be balance for people with real PvP gear, which doesn't really exist now(maybe very very few).
Edited by Rognar#1625 on 1/17/2013 3:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
The decision to not include dueling at launch was tragic. All this time, you guys could've been tweaking PvP balance....oh what a tragic mistake. You guys should fire the guy in charge.....oh wait....
Reply Quote
Reducing damage has nothing to do with balance, if damage is reduces for all characters. People just want to be able to fight longer and be able to use a skill more then once.
So a 80% damage reduction should be in order.

Some form of damage reduction is definitely on the table. Before we make any changes, though, we want to watch how players adapt to PvP combat. Dueling has only been available for few days, and we're already seeing new builds and strategies develop -- something which we'll need to consider when evaluating the possibility of blanket damage reduction (or any other tweak that would only affect the dueling world).

Either way, we don't want to compromise PvE gameplay for the sake of balancing dueling. We also don't want to put a lot of restrictions on dueling or create tons of architecture around the system. It's a simple feature that's there for people who want to take advantage of it, not something that's intended to be part of the core gameplay experience. Any changes we make would ultimately be framed by those goals, and it's possible we won't make very many adjustments as a result.

We're loving the feedback we're getting, though -- even the harsh criticisms. Keep it up!

The part that really pisses me off, is I had a thread suggesting they both make a PVP flag for 95% damage reduction vs players(this could be changed to 90% based on testing).
I set this thread up a month ago. They deleted the thread. I suppose, logic was too much of a troll for Blizzard to handle?

You mean this one that's still active? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415464925

It was a good read. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Instead of a blanket damage reduction, why not allow people to adjust what level of pvp DR they want via the NPC?
Reply Quote
It's a simple feature that's there for people who want to take advantage of it, not something that's intended to be part of the core gameplay experience.

PvP was delay...this is just a Dueling mode to get our feet wet to test and experience why PvP was delayed ;D

I never thought PvP in an ARPG was any good, but I'm glad Diablo 3 is still giving it a shot.

People really need to have matches with super farmed gear based on survivability and super defensive builds before Blizzard starts adding damage reduction.

Instead of a blanket damage reduction, why not allow people to adjust what level of pvp DR they want via the NPC?

This is a great idea. Player Power.
Edited by Connatic#1376 on 1/17/2013 3:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
x% debuff per 10k dmg
Reply Quote

PvP was delay...this is just a Dueling mode to get our feet wet to test and experience why PvP was delayed ;D

I never thought PvP in an ARPG was any good, but I'm glad Diablo 3 is still giving it a shot.

People really need to have matches with super farmed gear based on survivability and super defensive builds before Blizzard starts adding damage reduction.

2nd Worst idea ever, gear changes as DR changes, people would be arguing which DR they would duel and split community into many many segments

01/17/2013 04:00 PMPosted by apexwrath
x% debuff per 10k dmg

x% debuff per 10k dmg

LOL, people would just stack EHP, worst idea ever.
Edited by Rognar#1625 on 1/17/2013 4:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
Definitely agree to not change skills for the sake of dueling and mess up the PvE gameplay... A damage debuff across the board is a pretty simple adjustment though honestly. Use the PTR to titrate it up, if it seems too strong of a debuff then titrate it back down. Done.

Then just add dueling areas for each act if at all possible and I'm sure most will be content.

A scoring system, or ears like in diablo 2 would be epic though and keep people playing.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/pvp.shtml (however - we could wager an amount of gold that we would drop with the ear when we die before each battle).
Edited by roo483#1266 on 1/17/2013 4:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
I saw it elsewhere but it seemed super logical and bears repeating. Use the monster power system to adjust damage reduction in duels. Something like 80% on MP0, 73% MP1, 66% MP2, 59% MP3, 52% MP4.....0% MP10
Reply Quote
Either way, we don't want to compromise PvE gameplay for the sake of balancing dueling.

What happened to the PvE/PvP cloud system?
Reply Quote
Watch this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0GsG3Nvvc

As Moldran said, it might be too early for us to judge if there should be any reductions to the damage or not.

I haven't played the PTR, but seeing as what he can do compared to the other players who've uploaded their streams. I think we should put on hold our quick judgments regarding damage reduction for the meantime. :)

I however still think that there should be a soft/hard returns in the critical damage computation table. Since compared to damage mitigation, critical damage scales exponentially making such built cannon's stronger than they ought to be against "tankier" players.
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 1/17/2013 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote

2nd Worst idea ever, gear changes as DR changes, people would be arguing which DR they would duel and split community into many many segments

x% debuff per 10k dmg

x% debuff per 10k dmg

Has monster power split the community into many many segments?
Has normal, nightmare, hell, inferno split the community into many many segments?
Hardcore/softcore?

Options are good. Player choice is good. As in the above cases, the pros for self-determination outweigh any perceived cons. Letting players choose a level of DR that makes dueling more fun for a given situation (class, build, gear, skill) is good. A universal setting cannot be optimum or balanced in all cases. If the goal is to maximize fun for everyone, a DR slider or option list is the best option (chosen at the pvp NPC, not at game creation). For any given match, players can then try a setting and adjust it as needed. For an unfun or 1-shot matchup, in the absence of player controlled pvp DR, the only other option is to leave the game and find a new opponent. Implementing a method that allows adjustment within the same game improves playability and convenience.
Edited by Vhlad#1388 on 1/17/2013 5:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
We also don't want to put a lot of restrictions on dueling or create tons of architecture around the system.

Why not add a simple drop down menu so players can choose how much damage reduction is in their dueling zone?
Reply Quote

Has normal, nightmare, hell, inferno split the community into many many segments?

This part shows you are either retarded or just want to argue for argument's sake, I am not even going to reply to other parts.
Reply Quote
I however still think that there should be a soft/hard returns in the critical damage computation table. Since compared to damage mitigation, critical damage scales exponentially making such built cannon's stronger than they ought to be against "tankier" players.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You mean cannons are good in PvE AND PvP? I told you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]