Diablo® III

So getting one shotted is dueling?

my feedback is please stop calling this dueling. its not.
dueling is between two individuals only. what you have created is just an arena without any rules, objectives, ranking, or incentives. in essence you have created boredom. it will no doubt be exciting the first few times, but without something behind the madness it will not hold ppls interest.

Just make a game and invite 1 friend/player and you have your duel, it's so easy :)
If you're getting 1-shotted it's mostly because the other player has way better gear.

Some people around the diablo fan pages already want to create a white/blue gear only dueling community. Just join them, it should be much more fun!

I like this "Duel-Arena" it helps us to create pvp builds and test them out.
It's just that - it's great!
Reply Quote
WD Hex is way OP... nothing you can do against, Serenity is on cooldown - 2nd Hex and you're just dead.

This game is no more fun, big disappointment here.

You were developping PVP for so long yet you have not implemented a single thing to balance things out at least a little skill wise. You should of at least have that data.
Reply Quote
WD Hex is way OP... nothing you can do against, Serenity is on cooldown - 2nd Hex and you're just dead.

This game is no more fun, big disappointment here.

You were developping PVP for so long yet you have not implemented a single thing to balance things out at least a little skill wise. You should of at least have that data.

I have 5 lvl 60 heroes so I can objectively say leave the WDs Hex skill alone. WDs are the weakest or 2nd to weakest class. At least let them own PVP. Let them be good at something.
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 06:30 PMPosted by BlooDDemOn
Everyone kills everyone, everyone seems relatively equal, anyone can kill anyone, and "almost" anyone can 1-shot anyone.

For me, I like the pace of the battle.

I tend to seek out players with similar dps/ ehp ranges. And when you do that, the battles can take up to 20~ 30 seconds. I even have time in some battles to use 3 rounds of serenity.

What blizzard needs to do next is to figure out a system where they can match/ suggest similar geared duels/ and then expand that to groups. I know, it's easier said than done.

@BloodDemon add me on PTR? maybe we'll get a few rounds in. :)
Reply Quote
Right now this seems like a failed effort.

Lots of players asking for damage reduction but then DHs need the high damage because they got so little armor, they can't slug it out with barbs and monks in hand-to-hand combat. Charm and stun are asked to be nerfed but seems like WD depends on charm else a monk will ring his bell in the blink of an eye.

I can see now what all those skills are for that were never used in PvE, but they hardly balance things out.

Everybody's stash is full so getting new gear to experiment with is not simple and there is no reward for gearing up, no sense of achievement that might come with a ranking.

I believe that the most important factor for this to have any chance at all is to just leave the players to slug it out with their gear that they farmed for half a year now and let them craft new gear, but do provide a way to rank players by server/region. Provide an ELO matchmaking system and see what comes of this. Let the player using the best PvP class and using the best gear rise to the top and then you'll know if its totally unbalanced or if the number 2 player can be of a different class and challenge the number one player.

For ranked games make it 1v1 only.

Without ranking or some other way to assess skill across an entire region I think I've just about had enough of dueling and consequently any reason to farm for gold/gear or even use the RMAH to acquire gear is gone.
Reply Quote
I agree with the blue post.
Pvp in diablo 3 should not be balanced or they should not try to balance it either.

Becouse it should just be a fun side thing to do. Like in Diablo 2, people got one shotted there aswell and we did not care it was just a fun thing to do.

If you don't like the PvP, do not play it then.
They should not try to make this game into some pvp focused game. It's no Diablo game if they do.

PS: sorry for my english
Edited by Minimove#1375 on 1/16/2013 9:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
It's silly to duel monks and dhs if you can get killed before you even get a chance to hit them! Serenity and smoke screen... Imagine a rogue who can kill you within 4s stun and he is immune to all damage and cc!!
Reply Quote
I think a lot of people are stuck in PvE gear/builds which aren't optimal for PvP. Many skills/runes that have been deemed "worthless" can really shine in PvP combat if properly applied. WD's have the advantage of constant harrassment: Haunt, Corpse Spiders, Acid Cloud, Hex, Pets, all of which are either insta-cast or follow the opponent around, preventing them from healing, kiting, or getting too comfortable.

Right now, most people gear for the minimum amount of EHP to survive, and then stack as much DPS possible to efficiently run his/her chosen MP level. PvP is going to be the inverse or that: Stack just enough DPS to kill in a few hits (which obviously doesn't need to be much if people are getting 1-2 shotted), then focus on EHP so that you are able to outlast your opponents. The P to P damage is going to need to be reduced at some point though, if the top EHP sword and board barbs are getting killed in 3-4 hits, then actual objective games, like capture the flag or even deathmatch, are never going to work.

In addition, I have seen no one mention probably the most important PvP stat: Crowd Control Reduction. I know you are going to have to give up DPS affixes to get it, bu if you are being constantly frozen, hexed, stunned, this stat can go a long way to helping if stacked high enough.

The bottom line is that top-tier PvP caliber gear is going to be very different from top-tier PvE caliber gear. Even so, this game was designed from the ground up as a single player/co-op PvE game. I imagine Blizzard will tweak some things here and there, like player to player damage reduction, but this game's PvP will never reach the level of balance found in something like LoL or DotA, as D3 simply isn't a PvP-first design. Still though, give it a few days, and there will be effective counters for every class and build.
Edited by EddardStark#1833 on 1/16/2013 10:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
01/15/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Lylirra
May I ask why on earth did it take 8 months to release such an embarassment of a pvp mode? Seriously, you guys could have given this during the release... It's obvious very little time and effort was put into this system, yet it took this long to give the community such a simple pvp mode?? what a head scratcher.

We didn't spend 8 months on dueling. In fact, we had no plans to add dueling to the game until very recently, and that was both based on the community's consistent feedback as well as our decision to postpone the release of any additional PvP modes. You can read more about that [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8163085/"]here[/url].

What will be the new PvP modes, please give us a hint!!!
Reply Quote
I DON'T HAVE THE PTR, but im not stupid when it comes to figuring out how dualing is going to work.
Why can no one figure out that this IS NOT MENT TO BALACE!
Like for !@#$ sake can you even read what blizzard tells you guys?
So what if you're 1shotted, if they nerf damage your still going to lose anyway if you character is getting 1shotted in the first place.
Honestly, you'll win some and lose some. You WILL LOSE to the better player in dualing, %^-* the balance, you're not going to beat a better skilled, geared player then you.
1. gear better
2. skill better
3. dont b*tch if someone better then you 1shots you
(look at boardlands 2 dueling? what !@#$ing balance is there in it? AND IT'S STILL FUN)
HONESTLY THIS PROBABLY IS GOING TO GIVE BLIZZARD THE INFO THEY WILL NEED TO HELP BALNCE THE REAL PVP until then, this will be, and always will be, unchanged
there is a reason its called DUELING
Edited by monkeycowman#1311 on 1/16/2013 12:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Lylirra
Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight.

Reducing damage has nothing to do with balance, if damage is reduces for all characters. People just want to be able to fight longer and be able to use a skill more then once.
So a 80% damage reduction should be in order.
Edited by Why#1611 on 1/16/2013 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
We implemented dueling to provide interested players a way to battle each other -- no objectives, no scoring, just Nephalem against Nephalem. It was something the community has been asking for, and with additional PvP modes still in development we honestly didn't have a good reason to keep saying no.

Dueling isn't intended to be balanced, though, so don't expect a fair fight. That's not what dueling is about. There will probably be some match-ups in which you're one-shotted (this is a big reason why we have no permanent Hardcore deaths at the moment). There will also probably be some match-ups in which you one-shot other players. Your heroes are designed to kill things quickly and without mercy, and in this case those "things" just happen to be other heroes.

We don't anticipate that everyone will like dueling. That's fine. While some players might really love it and find it a cool challenge, we're okay if most people don't make it an integral part of their gaming experience. The system exists to give you the opportunity to obliterate your opponents in an environment designed explicitly for that purpose, but that's it -- and we feel it achieves that goal pretty well.

Now, we're still open to your feedback and will be keeping a close on eye on it throughout the PTR process. We're not opposed to making changes if they benefit the game; in fact, that's what a PTR is all about. In return, we just ask that you keep in mind the scope of what dueling is supposed to be, and that you give the system a fair shot before jumping to conclusions or making sweeping requests for buffs/debuffs/etc. Explore new builds, try out different tactics, and then let us know what you think. If we make changes, we want them to be informed, and that tends to work out best if the feedback you give us is also informed (i.e. not just a judgment based on only a few minutes of gameplay). :)

Could not have said it better. I used to one shot people in D2 ALL DAY LONG AND MAKE THEM CRY LIKE WITTLE BABEHHZZZ. What should change? All i see that should change are 1. Rewards 2. TDM Objectives 3. Score board.
Reply Quote
all we need is a damage reduction
Reply Quote
am I the only one here who is actually enjoying pvp builds being very very very powerful?

this was what was good about d2 dueling, that you would die in a few hammers or spears or nados or triwhirls. it didn't take forever to kill someone. just one good opportunity and you win the duel.

I only have a few hours of dueling in d3 under my belt, ok I got one-shotted a few times, some players vastly outgeared me in some of the games I entered. ok, so what? is that a reason to nerf everyone?
lets play with power and have some fun.
someone has a powerful build? props to them. or maybe the fault is with my build somehow.
it's day1. lets experiment and adapt in pvp, not ask for damage penalties in pvp.
Edited by ZaichieK#1670 on 1/16/2013 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
am I the only one here who is actually enjoying pvp builds being very very very powerful?

this was what was good about d2 dueling, that you would die in a few hammers or spears or nados or triwhirls. it didn't take forever to kill someone. just one good opportunity and you win the duel.

I only have a few hours of dueling in d3 under my belt, ok I got one-shotted a few times, some players vastly outgeared me in some of the games I entered. ok, so what? is that a reason to nerf everyone?
lets play with power and have some fun.
someone has a powerful build? props to them. or maybe the fault is with my build somehow.
it's day1. lets experiment and adapt in pvp, not ask for damage penalties in pvp.

+1
Reply Quote
"QQ WAHHHH I SUCK AT DUELING CUZ I DONT HAVE EHP AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO PLAY CUZ ALL I DID WAS WATCH OTHER PEOPLE AND GET GEAR CHECKS CUZ IM AN IDIOT WAHHHHH WAHHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

-average d3 player
Reply Quote
01/16/2013 12:31 PMPosted by Ryan
all we need is a damage reduction

why would YOU even need dmg reduction????????????????????????
Reply Quote
Does -crowd control stuff work? Can you reduce WD hex significantly if you have lots of -cc?
Reply Quote
my feedback is please stop calling this dueling. its not.dueling is between two individuals only. what you have created is just an arena without any rules, objectives, ranking, or incentives. in essence you have created boredom. it will no doubt be exciting the first few times, but without something behind the madness it will not hold ppls interest.
The "community" insisted that D2 is superior, and that's the PvP style that D2 had.

It was a free-for-all system that consisted of many characters one-shotting each other. No rewards, no achievements, no point. Grats on that, "community!" inb4 "but there were ears!" lawl.

Also, 1.07 isn't the PvP patch. It's 1.10. Sure, there's some PvP in 1.07, but it's not implemented very well. Why do you expect to get a fully implemented PvP system prior to the patch that Blizzard already announced? If history should tell you anything, Blizzard will release it later than expected, not earlier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]