Diablo® III

Why do people buy gold/gear?

A few weeks back I was helping some guy gear up his new lvl 60 barb. He had just bought 100m in gold and wanted to have a 100k+ dps WW and hellfire ring farming barb.

I helped him out, but in the process I realized that I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would want to pay real money to gear out their character from blues to legs right off the bat? Unless he wanted to make real money by farming gear to sell (which I don't think was his goal since he mentioned HF rings), where is the fun in having a fully geared character right when you start inferno?

D3 has no competition or endgame which requires having a fully geared character to start. Once you can efficiently farm inferno that's all there is to do! So why do people pay real money to gear up in 10 minutes skipping what I consider the entire point of the game (and most fun aspect of it as well)?

Is it just a reflection on the instant gratification society we are living in that people would rather pay $30 to have their character look powerful on a webpage than spend the time getting their gear on their own, or am I missing something?
Reply Quote
You are missing nothing. It's pure insanity. Buy gold > buy goldly items with gold > faceroll content > !@#$% about game being too easy and having no content.
Reply Quote
I've spent well over 1,000 hours with two characters in D3, and have only once ever received a drop that was a good find, even though it was not usable by any of my characters. This should be sufficient enough to answer your question alone.

I'm 27, have a full time job, and play multiple games due to lack of PvP in D3. I don't want to spend another 1,000 hours farming for great gear when I know it's unlikely to get. And by the time I do get some decent items, the expansion or some content patch will be released rendering my items no longer great.

I do enjoy the game, and the 'new' direction the game is heading.
Reply Quote
If you want to do much besides mp3, you either need to be extremely lucky, have a ton of time to play, have friends give you stuff, flip for cash, or buy your gear with real money.

Even newer players realize this (no reason to reach level 50 paragon to figure it out) and might not want to waste the time.

Normally, a game would reward dedication; but this game is not good at that, its just too random so # of hours put in does not equal amount of gear out. ie: some folks went the first few months never finding a set or legendary item...

I don't blame the AH or RMAH, but I do blame the pay2win concept.
Reply Quote
Sucking at games is probably one of the main reasons.

However, there are many situations people find themselves in.

Some have no time and no money..
Some have plenty of time
Some have plenty of money
some have both! (envy).

I am a casual gamer, but I do not buy gear or gold with real money.

But, I make plenty of money and certainly could if I felt between my family, job, and social life that I simply did not have time to keep farming, but still wanted to jump in an play my characters.

I don't think I would ever buy gear from the start but certainly could see a situation where I would buy it, eventionally.. maybe? I dunno.. lol
Reply Quote
Why grind for hundreds of hours when an hour of overtime can easily make up that time?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 09:43 AMPosted by JoeLimon
Why grind for hundreds of hours when an hour of overtime can easily make up that time?

Why buy all your gear in 5 minutes to then spend hundreds of hours farming for drops you then can't use?
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 09:31 AMPosted by Fizzmopper
I helped him out, but in the process I realized that I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would want to pay real money to gear out their character from blues to legs right off the bat?

1) Profit: This person could be playing with the idea that they want to earn money back on the RMAH and the quickest way to start making money is by having a character ready to farm.

2) Stature: Some people inherently want to be awesome compared to others around them. Competition or not, this could elevate the players opinion of their skills and how others could view them down the road.

3) Playstyle: Progression may come natural to you as a gamer but it's not how we all play video games. I have a friend who uses trainers on the first time they play just about any game. Some people will use game breaking mods or cheat codes from day 1 and love the experience. These things may seem absurd but their true. Since this level of 'cheating' isn't legally available in Diablo 3, buying convenience is their equivalent option.

If using the gold AH or RMAH will enhance the experience for YOU.
That's all that matters.

I'm sure there are players who think that you ruin the game as soon as you spend 5k in the gold AH because this is a 'loot-hunting' game.
Reply Quote
100 mil isnt gonna get him the best gears. It does, however, let him farm efficiently in lower to mid mp. With that, he can always farm for upgrades and sell what is not. It's more of an investment is what i see it as.
Reply Quote
A few weeks back I was helping some guy gear up his new lvl 60 barb. He had just bought 100m in gold and wanted to have a 100k+ dps WW and hellfire ring farming barb.

I helped him out, but in the process I realized that I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would want to pay real money to gear out their character from blues to legs right off the bat? Unless he wanted to make real money by farming gear to sell (which I don't think was his goal since he mentioned HF rings), where is the fun in having a fully geared character right when you start inferno?

D3 has no competition or endgame which requires having a fully geared character to start. Once you can efficiently farm inferno that's all there is to do! So why do people pay real money to gear up in 10 minutes skipping what I consider the entire point of the game (and most fun aspect of it as well)?

Is it just a reflection on the instant gratification society we are living in that people would rather pay $30 to have their character look powerful on a webpage than spend the time getting their gear on their own, or am I missing something?

Why do people continue to put coins in a pinball machine.. why do people pay a monthly fee to play World of Warcraft... Why do people pay money to have fun, lets analyze..

Because they can?
Reply Quote
Because they have the money and it makes them happy to spend it that way. I am not sure where the confusion comes from. Is there another point to money (past the basic necessities of survival)?
Reply Quote
The drop rate is so low and spend SO MUCH TIME on farming its better and more fun to buy the gear and farm your money back over time.

Would be better to increase drop rate *1000
And do ladder reset every year
Edited by Craysv1#2541 on 1/18/2013 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Normally, a game would reward dedication; but this game is not good at that, its just too random so # of hours put in does not equal amount of gear out. ie: some folks went the first few months never finding a set or legendary item...

^^ So true, I went an entire 3 months before I found my first legendary, then after that I went another 3 months to find my second legendary..... Only 1 of them sold (the other was trash) So i spent 5 bucks on gold and look at me now :D
Reply Quote

First, it because D3 items and difficulties scale horribly. Hell shoulve been much harder to where they crappy items the dropped wouldnt allow you to progress there.. then you wouldnt hit so much of a brick wall going into inferno..and Why does an item need to be level 63 to roll good affixes? is it really that wrong to find and great item with a level requirement of maybe 30 or 40? D2 items level design would fix this i think

There should be paragon level items also.
Edited by warbuckaz#1718 on 1/18/2013 10:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Bob and Joe are friends. Bob works for apple. Joe is unemployed. Bob has much less time to devote to the game they both play. When bob logs in, Joe is so much stronger than him, that bob only slows joe down. Bob has lots of disposable income. Bob buys gear to catch up.

Bob and Joe have lots of fun playing together as opposed to Joe silently resenting Bobs weak character.

^ is this scenario difficult to wrap your head around?
Reply Quote
View profile
The better question is this: Why should you (or anyone else) care that someone else is buying gold and/or gear?

There are PLENTY of things that EVERY one of you spends money on that someone else would likely consider a "waste" of money. Heck, if you bought D3... or payed for a year subscription to WoW to get D3 free... you "wasted" your money on a video game in someone's eyes.

If you buy a soda... you are "wasting" money on a useless drink.
Smoking...
Other hobbies...

The list goes on and on and on.

But really... why should you care what someone else does with their money? That's what perplexes me the most with all of you whining about how "bad" someone is that bought something in a video game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]