Diablo® III

Why do people buy gold/gear?

[
What?????????? I havent spend a single cent on gear (nor will)... dont know what you are talking about??? I have spent a lot of time and effort building my char ...but not real money....

My apologies. I'm afraid I misunderstood your statement; but it is still not right to criticize people for spending the money they worked for on their entertainment.

Look I think you are still missing the point of my argument. Im not in any way critizing people for spending the money that they earned. Its their right and each one can execute it as they please.

Im saying and i feel that I do have the right to say it is that they are bad gamers...even more I dont know if I would call them gamers at all or if I would like to play with them (not that they care). I feel that buying gear is like cheating. Its not illegal obviusly and you are not violating any rule you just are cheating to yourself. The heart and soul of Diablo, Titan Quest, Sacred, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, etc, etc is to equip your char with the best gear available. That means farming hours and hours. If someone just wants to kick some demons I will say it again. They can do it in Mp1 ...If you feel better I usually farm in MP6 but it has to do with my personal preferences more than with anything else.

When people said that they buy gold because its impossible to farm MP1 otherwise they are lying. I didnt use the AH till i was parangon 15 aprox and was able to do MP1 ... I just got get tired of being unable to improve with my own loot.

And what bothers me is reading in every post. I dont have time: Its a game, its a hobby, if you think your time will be better invested in something else do that instead of playing d3. But it here is the thing. It feels better to play 2 hours and have the better char available and is the reason why everyone buys gold and why they are not gamers but buyers.... I cant respect that at all form a gamers perspective...

Try to be the best by yourself and if not well...Im pretty sure nobody cares what the rest think
Reply Quote
Probably couse people get tired of endless farming with zero upgrades.
Reply Quote

Im saying and i feel that I do have the right to say it is that they are bad gamers...

That would imply a game requires skill.. Since Diablo is NOT a skill based game, you can;t really cheat. And if you say that skipping 1000 hours of mindless grinding is makes a "bad gamer".. then I wonder what the purpose of this game is. Is it only for gamers that play non-skill based mind numbing games? No I think not.

For example, I personally have fun OWNING monsters or killing other players in PVP. Not mind numbing grinding. The game does not begin until i hit 60 and am fully geared. Everything before then is work. (But I still do it.)

I feel that buying gear is like cheating.... and you are not violating any rule you just are cheating to yourself.

Why does it matter? This isn't a competition! This is about having fun. And if some people need to buy gold to have fun, then thats their choice.

Having bad gear is not fun. having good gear is fun.
Yes you may argue then whats the point of playing if you have all the gear? Well, some people don't play this game for the gear grind. They do it to kill monsters with friends.

And what bothers me is reading in every post. I don't have time: Its a game, its a hobby, if you think your time will be better invested in something else do that instead of playing d3. But it here is the thing. It feels better to play 2 hours and have the better char available and is the reason why everyone buys gold and why they are not gamers but buyers.... I cant respect that at all form a gamers perspective...

1. If you have to grind for tons of time for gear, and not have fun doing so, then it no longer is a hobby but a chore or a job.

2. What you are speaking about, and I have been there, is "hardcore gaming". Most people, with lives, do not have the time, however still want to play. Therefore, to meet those conditions they buy gold/gear.

Now you may say, then go play something else. But what if that something else is not as much fun as them buying gear and then playing Diablo 3?
Edited by Cool#1157 on 1/21/2013 9:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
I wonder if anybody realizes that the new account bound gear will kill most legendary items in AH and RMAH.... You'll see more people decked out in easy to obtain (if HF ring was as easy for you guys as it was for me) gear that's easily better than 90% of the market that also happens to be 90% free? The chinese got it right, goldfarming wins again, the AH feature is only good for people leveling up, and the game is broke :(
Reply Quote
So in a game pretty much based around time and luck to advance....your saying people are bad gamers if they buy something? I'm not trying to argue with you, but because you like to grind for long hours only to prove to yourself that you did it on your own....is your choice.

There honestly isn't a ton of skill that goes into D3. Better gear = further advancement in the game. Whether that takes 10 mins. or 1000 hrs. Because some choose to eliminate the time and luck to advance...doesn't make them bad gamers.

We are an instant gratification culture anyway.
Edited by xDivinityx#1887 on 1/21/2013 2:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
why do fishermen buy new rods, why do golfers buy new clubs, why do gun enthusiasts buy flashlights and lasers for their guns?
because they want to and they have the money to.

people criticizing other that use money on this game or any other game most likely don't have the means to throw chump change at a hobby.
Reply Quote
The merchant in Act 3 answered your question, i don't do the adventuring life to much pain not enough profit. So he sits in the fortress selling and buying wares.
Reply Quote
man, there are people who don't have many time to play video games, or in forums to check what the whinners have to say, I know people who only want to kill mobs and that's all. They don't want to spend their free time farming.

and also think about this, you bought a computer...for what? work? I doubt that! I'm almost sure you don't even know how a computer works and all the stuff you do is related to video games and perhaps you are a kid who visits !@#$ sites. You spent your money for your happiness, so they do the same.
Reply Quote
Simple answer. They do it because it is the easiest way to get the gear and start farming efficiently.

This has nothing to do with their skill level. That is a piss poor assumption people like to make.
Reply Quote
I've spent maybe 200 hours in inferno and have found 2 great finds.. one sold for 300m.. the other 200m.. among many other low price items. RNG bro
Reply Quote
To buy gear is just the easy mode, instead of doing 1000 of hours farming, iv spend a cupple hundred hours farming with some friends, and they all went crazy of my luck, iv found for 400 mil ingame gold in 100 hours of gaming, sold those 400 mil for real money ^^
But i think its good that people buy gear for real money, cus elles i woudent have any buyers :D
Reply Quote
It's human nature to look into greener pastures and want to tiptoe through that grass. Nothing wrong with that. The concept of the game is built around the drops in D3 and I don't think the drops will ever get better.

I believe the drops are "nerfed" so that people will go to RMAH and buy their "good" gear. Every time someone buys something from RMAH, Blizzard gets 15%.

It's no different than someone paying a monthly subscription to play WOW.

I won't spend $10.00 to sit in a cafe and drink a cup of mediocre coffee, when I can make one at home for $1.00. That leaves me with $9.00 to spend on gold to buy something I will get a lot of pleasure out of, while I drink my coffee at home playing D3 with my friends.
Edited by Septimus#6445 on 1/21/2013 3:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
...where is the fun in having a fully geared character right when you start inferno?

D3 has no competition or endgame which requires having a fully geared character to start. Once you can efficiently farm inferno that's all there is to do! So why do people pay real money to gear up in 10 minutes skipping what I consider the entire point of the game (and most fun aspect of it as well)? ...

I think this is because the game is so short and repeated so many times people eventually get bored farming crap gears and get small amount of gold from their existing gear.
Too difficult and long and boring. You know there's a way out and actually can let you enjoy the game. it is called the real money.

Blizzard purposely designed this so that the RMAH can get business! and I think they did well in this aspect.
Reply Quote

Blizzard purposely designed this so that the RMAH can get business! and I think they did well in this aspect.

People commenting that "OP is broke" or "OP is jealous because he can't afford gear" are just so dumb. Who can't afford $20 worth of gear? Im 30 with a job...I could afford $3000 of gear if I wanted and it wouldn't break the bank.

Other people say "Why do you care, it has nothing to do with my gameplay" - but it has EVERYTHING to do with my gameplay.

Destine is right in the quote I linked above. Blizzard did do a good job taking advantage of lazy people.

Almost everyone in this post who has said they buy gold/gear for $ have said it is because of the poor drop rates, but they don't even realize they are the ones directly driving this business model!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Hunter
I'm quite surprised by the feedback, and now I see why Blizzard has built a game around a RMAH.

I never would have thought that I was in the minority thinking that spending real $$ on computer generated items is crazy. Blizz recognized this and grats to them on taking advantage of everyone else by making you think you need the RMAH to play this game...

I have 300 hrs played, which amounts to a bit over 1hr / day the game has been released. I've found every piece of gear that is on my Wiz and DH, and I've found a few other pieces I was able to sell on the GAH to purchase upgrades for my barbarian.

Maybe I'm just getting old (30), but for me, the point to a grinding game like this has always been to grind yourself up to the top - that is where the sense of accomplishment comes from. I was so excited the first time I killed inferno Diablo that I couldn't sleep for hours afterwards - and that took me several months to do.

I see 0 reward in buying gold on the RMAH, paying someone to powerlevel me to 60, buying all new gear, and just 2-shotting Inferno Diablo.

Everyone blames Blizzard and the RMAH/AH for problems with this game but it seems like people just need to L2Play not Pay.

i see it just as a game. i don't consider what i do in the game to have major significance in my life outside of having plain fun. the RMAH/AH are just tools just like money is a tool to get to your next goal. paying for items just makes those goals more accessible in an expedient manner.

if anything i tend to think the RMAH can be a positive. maybe there's a student attending a university who spent significant time in the game and found a great drop. when i purchase it from him, maybe he can buy a book for his class or have a decent dinner for a few days.

also, after i geared my main, i got one of my friends interested again in the game and helped him gear. then we helped his friends gear. sometimes we would just hand them something. other times we would buy items for a friend. as a result, everyone wins in this case. i honestly prefer this than having an empty game and i'm certain many others would agree with this aspect.
Reply Quote
reading this thread is entertainment for me, the players that say why would u pay for gold/items, are buying it themselves.Have u looked @ there gear, lol ur telling me u found all ur gear, hmmmmm that sure smells !@#$ty to me.ive played roughly 1300 hours in this game and yes i have been extreamly lucky to find alot of my gear, but honestly i would not be where i am in this game if i didnt pay.
Reply Quote
01/21/2013 05:06 PMPosted by GoldDust
reading this thread is entertainment for me, the players that say why would u pay for gold/items, are buying it themselves.Have u looked @ there gear, lol ur telling me u found all ur gear, hmmmmm that sure smells !@#$ty to me.ive played roughly 1300 hours in this game and yes i have been extreamly lucky to find alot of my gear, but honestly i would not be where i am in this game if i didnt pay.

I can post a SS of my RMAH completed tab if you dont believe me...

I'm not saying I haven't used the GAH, I've just never bought gold or gear for real money.

I said in a previous post that my Barb is 50/50 AH and drops (IK chest is a drop if you can believe it :) ) and my DH and Wiz are 100% drops I've gotten from farming paragon levels on my barb.
Reply Quote
Because RNG is RNG, and people can spend 100 hours farming and make 100b while people can farm for 10000 hours and get !@#$
Reply Quote
A few weeks back I was helping some guy gear up his new lvl 60 barb. He had just bought 100m in gold and wanted to have a 100k+ dps WW and hellfire ring farming barb.

I helped him out, but in the process I realized that I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would want to pay real money to gear out their character from blues to legs right off the bat? Unless he wanted to make real money by farming gear to sell (which I don't think was his goal since he mentioned HF rings), where is the fun in having a fully geared character right when you start inferno?

D3 has no competition or endgame which requires having a fully geared character to start. Once you can efficiently farm inferno that's all there is to do! So why do people pay real money to gear up in 10 minutes skipping what I consider the entire point of the game (and most fun aspect of it as well)?

Is it just a reflection on the instant gratification society we are living in that people would rather pay $30 to have their character look powerful on a webpage than spend the time getting their gear on their own, or am I missing something?

The answer is ultra simple.

Would you rather spend 30 dollars.

Or spend 600 hours of in game time to accumulate that level of wealth, which will actually let you play the game on something other than "Monster Power 1" aka "Hell difficulty".
Edited by Bloodbath#1926 on 1/21/2013 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]