Diablo® III

Why do people buy gold/gear?

Agreed. I haven't spent any real money on Diablo 3, but I have on a few other games. I spent about $15-20 on D2 LoD a few years back to gear out a few characters, and it was worth it IMO. People are willing to spend money on things that give them entertainment, that's why we all bought the game in the first place. If that person gets more entertainment out of the endgame rather than the leveling process and the grind to get higher level gear, then there's nothing wrong with him spending some money to skip over that part.
Reply Quote
I'm quite surprised by the feedback, and now I see why Blizzard has built a game around a RMAH.

I never would have thought that I was in the minority thinking that spending real $$ on computer generated items is crazy. Blizz recognized this and grats to them on taking advantage of everyone else by making you think you need the RMAH to play this game...

I have 300 hrs played, which amounts to a bit over 1hr / day the game has been released. I've found every piece of gear that is on my Wiz and DH, and I've found a few other pieces I was able to sell on the GAH to purchase upgrades for my barbarian.

Maybe I'm just getting old (30), but for me, the point to a grinding game like this has always been to grind yourself up to the top - that is where the sense of accomplishment comes from. I was so excited the first time I killed inferno Diablo that I couldn't sleep for hours afterwards - and that took me several months to do.

I see 0 reward in buying gold on the RMAH, paying someone to powerlevel me to 60, buying all new gear, and just 2-shotting Inferno Diablo.

Everyone blames Blizzard and the RMAH/AH for problems with this game but it seems like people just need to L2Play not Pay.
Reply Quote
I think people spend real money on items for the same reason people grind hundreds of hours for them. None of it makes sense, but for some reason its fun.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Fizzmopper
Maybe I'm just getting old (30), but for me, the point to a grinding game like this has always been to grind yourself up to the top - that is where the sense of accomplishment comes from

the key word, "for me".

ur sense of accomplishment is just urs.

others have different sense regarding fun.

ex: i like hack and slash and the rare chance of hitting the jackpot, which is only possible if play the game at a certain level in a certain effciency. i only play 1-2 hrs/day 4-5 times a week and i am +$350 on paypal. see, my sense of fun is different from urs.
Reply Quote
For the same reason anyone buys anything.
They have the money to spend and they want it.
Reply Quote
Bob and Joe are friends. Bob works for apple. Joe is unemployed. Bob has much less time to devote to the game they both play. When bob logs in, Joe is so much stronger than him, that bob only slows joe down. Bob has lots of disposable income. Bob buys gear to catch up.

Bob and Joe have lots of fun playing together as opposed to Joe silently resenting Bobs weak character.

^ is this scenario difficult to wrap your head around?
It is. Why would Bob and Joe play together when it is clearly faster to play solo?
Reply Quote
This old arguement...

A lot of money can be defined differently depending on the person. For me, I can afford it, it's my money. I've used this example before.

I can go out and spend 300 dollars on dinner for me and my wife at a nice restaurant. Which happens frequently, just like last weekend. The dinner lasts an hour and it's over. (except perhaps a nice terd the following day.)

I can also spend a 100 dollars on the game and utlize that Imaginary item for 500 hours or more... And enjoy every moment. (well maybe not every moment).

For all those that argue that I'm ruining the game for myself, or that I suck. Think again, I'm over 700 hours (or so) and loving it... and I can't convince you I don't suck, so I won't even try.

The fact is, I'm having a lot of fun. That should be the point!

Everyone should play any game the way it makes them happy... If you enjoy playing untwinked and GAH free.. Do it! If you perfer Hardcore... Do it! If you like spending money on some choice items and can afford it... Do it!

Just have fun. ( I will )
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 10:06 AMPosted by Jellyvish
ppl play this game to destroy sh**.. not spend thousands of hours farming for nothing

And you destroy monsters for what?

It's a matter of perspective, in the end. For me, those spending money to bypass the challenges of the game are wasting their money. For those spending money, i may be wasting my time by slowly climbing in gear progression by playing the game.

I have no problem with people paying for their items. I do, however, have a problem with a loot system entirely designed to benefit profit through the auction house, and not to provide an enjoyable ingame experience, by using excessive RNG as an excuse for poor itemization and as a method to force people to buy stuff. The problem is amplified when they allow ingame currency to be sold for real money, rendering any ingame attempt (besides the absurdly slim chance to hit a jackpot) to build some wealth pretty much useless.
Edited by Blashyrkh#1824 on 1/18/2013 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 09:37 AMPosted by Shadovex
I've spent well over 1,000 hours with two characters in D3, and have only once ever received a drop that was a good find, even though it was not usable by any of my characters. This should be sufficient enough to answer your question alone.

^This. I ran through through 1-60 as fast as I could. Leveled three characters to paragon 10 in Inferno MP0. Currently have my barb Paragon 23 in MP4.

In all the time it took to accomplish this (at least 400 hours,) I have found only two legendaries that was worth equipping on any of my characters (my pretty good barb helm and not-very good dh's shoulders.) An no, I did not find anything good for the two classes I don't play much.

The problem didn't start in Inferno, though, By mid-nightmare to early hell, viable drops just stopped. 99% of what I equipped after that point was purchased from the AH.

Eventually, though, I couldn't farm enough gold to keep up yet and, get this, I actually ENJOY this game and wanted to keep advancing. When I saw how cheap gold was, it was a no-brainer to drop a few bucks on it for a better piece of gear here and there.

The problem with people who say "only bad players buy gear" is that they are probably bad players themselves who don't understand the driving concept of D3: It doesn't reward players for being good at it, it rewards them for spending time on it.

It's all about RNG. The best player in the world can run for a week straight and not get anything good, and some dummy can jump on for five minutes and get a great legendary. In the end, though, the only way to see a lot of drops is just to play more than anyone else, not BE better than anyone else.

If I wanted to drop 1000's of hours on this game it might be different. But I don't.
Reply Quote
Nothing wrong or makes someone a bad player when they buy gear. I know of one bad player who doesn't buy gear too but they like playing anyway. She has some crazy ideas about game mechanics and if I tried to correct her, I'd pay for that somehow for sure. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil; just go with the flow. It's a GAME.
Reply Quote
01/18/2013 09:43 AMPosted by JoeLimon
Why grind for hundreds of hours when an hour of overtime can easily make up that time?

/facepalm

why do you play games? the cutscene at the end?
Reply Quote
This discussion is always going to be a bit disjointed because people that use the RMAH are playing in a different environment then those of us that only use the GAH, and thats OK. The part that has me raising an eyebrow is when someone outfitted with some of the best gear money can buy, is giving out advise along the lines of "You need to play endless hours before you can expect to have gear like mine". Someone who is not going to spend dollars will be getting better gear incrementally, and should not be disapointed that they do not have uber gear in every slot, all at once.

If you are not spending money you have no buisness complaining abut the game being unfair in some way. Instead, try to max you MF and play that game. (Points to the Topaz in his helm). Dont even think about PvP unless you spend real money, another subject that will bring out the "Have and have not's argument". I have found roughly half the gear I am wearing, the rest is from the GAH. I play on MP 8 and have about 570% MF with 5 stacks. I find alot of stuff to sell.
Reply Quote
I'm quite surprised by the feedback, and now I see why Blizzard has built a game around a RMAH.

I never would have thought that I was in the minority thinking that spending real $$ on computer generated items is crazy. Blizz recognized this and grats to them on taking advantage of everyone else by making you think you need the RMAH to play this game...

I have 300 hrs played, which amounts to a bit over 1hr / day the game has been released. I've found every piece of gear that is on my Wiz and DH, and I've found a few other pieces I was able to sell on the GAH to purchase upgrades for my barbarian.

Maybe I'm just getting old (30), but for me, the point to a grinding game like this has always been to grind yourself up to the top - that is where the sense of accomplishment comes from. I was so excited the first time I killed inferno Diablo that I couldn't sleep for hours afterwards - and that took me several months to do.

I see 0 reward in buying gold on the RMAH, paying someone to powerlevel me to 60, buying all new gear, and just 2-shotting Inferno Diablo.

Everyone blames Blizzard and the RMAH/AH for problems with this game but it seems like people just need to L2Play not Pay.

I agree with you. Kinda the old concept where if you work hard to earn money and pay for a new bike or car you appreciate it more than if your parents bought it for you, etc. Keep in mind that probably a majority of the players of the same mind as you and I don't even read the forums.

I also understand not having tons of time to farm for upgrades, and then upgrades not dropping. I've found everything I use and have two main characters I play currently (and lots of gear stored for my other characters when I get serious about playing them) and the times I get drops that are an upgrade are absolutely ridiculous with the number of hours I've played.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure this game was designed to make it easier for people by buying stuff through either one of the auction houses. Blizzard wins and those players do too, I suppose. A long time ago I couldn't resist using my credit cards when I really wanted something bad. :)
Edited by Helix#1260 on 1/18/2013 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have some realistic proposed changes in this thread:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592913209

Involving how to reduce the pay to win mechanic, check it out.
Reply Quote
Why buy anything on this planet?
Reply Quote
Bob and Joe are friends. Bob works for apple. Joe is unemployed. Bob has much less time to devote to the game they both play. When bob logs in, Joe is so much stronger than him, that bob only slows joe down. Bob has lots of disposable income. Bob buys gear to catch up.

Bob and Joe have lots of fun playing together as opposed to Joe silently resenting Bobs weak character.

^ is this scenario difficult to wrap your head around?
It is. Why would Bob and Joe play together when it is clearly faster to play solo?

.... this is not 1.02, 2 good characters farms faster if you are going for loot. Solo is only good for low MP exp runs.
Reply Quote
People buying gear from the start yea i see there really is no point in it right away but D3 is a lottery game. some get lucky most do not.

People have gone 2000 hours with out a really good drop and i am betting at least 90% of people playing MP4 and above got most of their gear from the AH they may not have purchased gold but they flipped auctions etc and payed a lot on the AH... and that just says how bad loot is if you cant equip your self to play the game.
Edited by Jane#1803 on 1/18/2013 3:24 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]